From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Removing Linux
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:28:22 GMT

What if he cannot boot into Linux? (ie. that installation is bad for
some reason) How would he remove it then?  (I have a friend in that
situation)

--
================================
Jeffrey Bacon

------------------------------

From: Charles Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mounting a file
Date: 28 Apr 2001 01:54:20 GMT

I want to mount a file as a vfat device.  I have tried the following
command

        [root@muirwoods bin]# mount -t vfat /usr2/win2k/win2000.dsk
/win2000.
        mount: /usr2/win2k/win2000.dsk is not a block device (maybe try
`-o loop'?)

I then tried

            [root@muirwoods bin]# mount -t vfat -o loop
/usr2/win2k/win2000.dsk /win2000
            mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/loop0,
            or too many mounted file systems

How do I mount a file?

-charles

------------------------------

From: "Mordak" <kmg_NOSPAM_5150@.hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: XMMS Kernel 2.4.3 (Mandrake 8.0)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:14:43 -0400

*** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

I had the same problem with SuSE 7.1 Kernel 2.4.0 using XMMS. SuSE has an
XMMS update that I installed the RPM for and it fixed the problem. You might
check Mandrake's site or go to the XMMS homepage and download a newer
version. If that doesn't work, I don't know what else to say.
Good luck,
Mordak

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

=======  Over 90,000 Newsgroups = 16 Different Servers! ======

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem installing/running KDE 2.1 in RH7
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:47:33 -0700

Jeffrey J. Bacon wrote:

> OK, so I had KDE1 from the RH7 CD instaled but decided I wanted to
> upgrade to KDE2.  So I downloded all the KDE2.1.1 RPM files and tried to
> install.  I got dependency warnings saying that KDE1 depended on files
> that were to be overridden with KDE2 files.  So I went, ok , let's
> uninstall KDE1.  So I did and then installed the KDE2.1.1 RPMs but KDE
> will not start from the console.  If I run Gnome and then run 'startkde'
> from a terminla in Gnome, it starts as an application in Gnome.  If I
> run "switchdesk KDE2" it says KDE2 is not installed.  I tried
> uninstalling and re-installing KDE2 RPMs but still no luck. Any help?

You pretty much hosed everything.  The simplest, quickest solution is to
reinstall RH7 cleanly, with X but without GNOME, and then install KDE
2.1.1.   If you don't repartition or reformat, make sure you clean out ALL
the KDE-related config files in your home directory.  Most of these are
"hidden".  If you aren't sure how to do this, just move anything you want
to keep to a new sub-directory then delete everything else.

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General

From: Francis Litterio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting a file
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 02:48:17 GMT

Charles Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I then tried
>
>             [root@muirwoods bin]# mount -t vfat -o loop
> /usr2/win2k/win2000.dsk /win2000
>             mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/loop0,
>             or too many mounted file systems
>
> How do I mount a file?

You're doing it right.  The file must not contain a vfat filesystem.
How did you create that file?

What does the command "file /usr2/win2k/win2000.dsk" report?

------------------------------

From: "Cameron Kerr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtek 8139b NIC
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:03:51 +1200

Have you disabled the mouse port int the BIOS then, in
that case.

--
Cameron Kerr -- cameron.kerr @ paradise.net.nz
Praise Slackware, our baud and saviour!

From: Manbo Luo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Why ftp login always fails? need help!!
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:23:57 GMT

Hollo;

Need help on ftp!! Thanks in advance.
Manbo
--

Ftp to my machine always failes.
(1) The "chkconfig --list wu-ftpd" command gives:
      wu-ftpd         on
(2) The /etc/hosts.allow has ALL:ALL
(3) /etc/ftpaccess has the following
limit users     0x8125df8allow-retrieve
loginfails 5
private no
passwd-check    none    warn
log commands anonymous,guest,real
log transfers anonymous,guest,real inbound
log transfers anonymous,guest,real outbound
anonymous-root /var/ftp
guest-root /var/ftp
passwd /etc/passwd
shadow /etc/shallow

(4) The failed ftp screen looks like this:
 % ftp 1.2.3.4
Connected to 1.2.3.4
220 machine.domain FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1-16) ready.
Name (1.2.3.4:user_id): user_id
331 Password required for user_id.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp>

(telnet works!!)

(5) My system: RedHat Linux 7.1, run level 5

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 28 Apr 2001 04:18:02 GMT

On 28 Apr 2001 01:54:20 GMT, Charles Herman staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>I want to mount a file as a vfat device.  I have tried the following
>command
>
># mount -t vfat /usr2/win2k/win2000.dsk /win2000.
> mount: /usr2/win2k/win2000.dsk is not a block device (maybe try
>`-o loop'?)
>
>I then tried
># mount -t vfat -o loop /usr2/win2k/win2000.dsk /win2000
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
>or too many mounted file systems
>
>How do I mount a file?

Are you sure that this is a VFAT filesystem?  Lose2K also uses NTFS, so
you might try that as well.  However, you may need to recompile your
kernel, and you *MUST* mount any NTFS volume read-only unless you are
willing to live with potential data loss.  The other poster's comment
about "file" may be useless; "file temp.iso" where temp.iso is an
ISO9660 filesystem image made with mkisofs returns "ASCII Text" which is
worthless.  Running file on a FAT32 or NTFS fielsystem image will most
likely return "data".

You are passing the right options to mount in the -o section; the
problem lies elsewhere.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Web Server
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 04:50:32 GMT

"WaCkOkId" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Which distribution would be the best for running a dedicated webserver?
>
> It will be running on a Pentium 120 with 64mb of Ram and a 1gig hard drive.

Based on your hardware, you probably should limit yourself to the set
of distributions that "play well" without X.

Most do, so I think you'll need to provide some additional information
about your requirements and expectations, otherwise it will be
singularly difficult to provide any guidance.

It is exceedingly unlikely, in any case, that there is a distribution
that could be objectively considered the "best" for your purpose.

Instead, it would very likely be more correct to say that there are a
wide variety of distributions that should be quite satisfactory for
your purpose.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html

------------------------------

From: Rick Lim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crontab problem
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 05:16:40 GMT

You are 100% correct,
I needed to specify the path, the path cron has is not
the same as the root shell has

Thanks !!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Free ISP For Linux?
Date: 28 Apr 2001 06:11:14 GMT

Hi,

I recently loaded Red Hat 7 on one of my computers, and realized that I
have no way to connect to the Internet! My other computer uses a connection
which needs Windows, and the software isn't available for Linux. Are there
any
free ISP's out there that will accept connections from Linux users?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP and Road Runner blues
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,alt.linux.redhat,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 06:51:43 GMT

Here's some food for thought:

Use a static ipaddress & free it  from the dhcp server.

http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dhcpfree.c

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 09:11:49 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sending input to serial console

Jonathan Magid wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Livingston Port Master terminal server to create a serial
> console server for a bunch of linux machines. I'm using lilo to send the
> boot information to the serial console, with these statements in the
> lilo.conf:
>
> serial=0,9600n8
> append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8"
>
> This mostly works. I get all the boot output on the attached serial line,
> but it doesn't allow me to input anything- if I type characters they echo
> on the screen (they're transmitted fine), but hitting the tab key, for
> example, at the lilo prompt does not pause lilo for input.
>
> Is this normal? Or is there some way to have my input used by the serial
> console?

Did you check "man lilo.conf"?

serial=parameters
   enables  control  from a serial line. The specified
   serial port is initialized and the boot  loader  is
   accepting input from it and from the PC's keyboard.
   Sending a break on the serial line  corresponds  to
   pressing a shift key on the console in order to get
   the  boot  loader's  attention.
[...]

Something like this in your inittab:

S0:123:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 9600 ttyS0

Should make it possible to login from your terminal server,
after boot succeded.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 09:46:36 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> "WaCkOkId" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Which distribution would be the best for running a dedicated webserver?
>>
>> It will be running on a Pentium 120 with 64mb of Ram and a 1gig hard drive.

> Based on your hardware, you probably should limit yourself to the set
> of distributions that "play well" without X.

Good grief! A p120 with 64M ram is fine for X (now my 486sx50 with 8M
is getting tight, but it still functions OK as an X terminal). Yes,
he has to load some of the lighter window managers but KDE 1.1 (for
example) would be no stretch in 64M.  The cpu speed is irrelevant.

From: "Rod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: play wav file automatcially?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:06:22 +1200

hi.
i want a wav file to play when certain text appears in the terminal.
while playing quakeforge the quotes within the game are mirrored to the
terminal ,
on particular quotes i want a certain wav file to play.

eg
grenade primed for 3 seconds
play grentimer.wav

thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with partitioning
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 18:18:28 +1000

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Sudhakar R. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Currently my fstab is as follows
> > [root@matrixuc local]# cat /etc/fstab
> > LABEL=/         /               ext2    defaults        1 1
> > LABEL=/home     /home           ext2    defaults        1 2
>
> What? Where does LABEL= come from? lvm?

You can label filesystems using -L option of mke2fs. You can also
specify the partition to be mounted using the label by using -L option
of mount. Presto, you get around the nasty problem of scsi IDs moving
when you add another drive, or worse, another controller which happens
to get detected earlier.

regards, Frank Ranner

------------------------------

From: Andrew Donehue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Free ISP For Linux?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 09:25:58 GMT

Hi,
    I don't know of any ISP that is platform specific.  Many ISP's offer install
disks for Windows, but you will still be able to connect using red-hat.  Basically
the ISP's offer a standard connection type (called PPP).  To connect to your isp
you need to get the following info from them.
1) you user/pass
2) dial-up number (if on a dialup modem)
3)DNS addresses

this should be all you need if you are calling up an isp that gives out dynamic
addresses.

if this doesn't make any sense, email me back.

Cheers,
             Andrew.
             Canberra, Australia.