Linux-Misc Digest #731, Volume #23                Thu, 2 Mar 00 13:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: recursive grep? (Frank Miles)
  Re: system requirements? (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: The Cart before the Horse. (Steve Lamb)
  print error when 'lpq' is run... (jgiles)
  LaTex (Andrei Aderca)
  learning c++ with gcc-2.95...clear screen? (Patrick O'Neil)
  Compiling under Corel Linux (John Rogerson)
  Re: system requirements? (David Faure)
  Re: How the *&^!@ do I get tar to tar long filenames? (Yan Seiner)
  ETHERNET connection on Docking station (Joe Glenn)
  Re: recursive grep? (Johnny Johanson)
  Re: $1.95 CDs - unstable version?????? (Robert Wiegand)
  Linux Router Project ("Mark S. Stanley")
  grep-ing attackalerts from portsentry (Patrick O'Neil)
  Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1] ("D. Butler")
  Re: Netscape using all memory in linux (Patrick O'Neil)
  Re: learning c++ with gcc-2.95...clear screen? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: connecting to internet via command line (Mark Pinkerton)
  Re: system requirements? ("D. Butler")
  Re: Change default OS in Corel Boot Menu ("D. Butler")
  Can't print when not root (Jordan)
  Re: staroffice printing (or printing) (Patrick O'Neil)
  Re: 3D Studio for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Newbie Question? (Hal)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Subject: Re: recursive grep?
Date: 2 Mar 2000 16:01:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 1 Mar 2000 20:42:06 GMT, Frank Miles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>Vilmos Soti  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>grep -r "StringIwant" *
>>
>>What grep are you using?  GNU's grep doesn't do that.
>

>Sure it does. This was added at some point, and has been there for a
>while.
>

>   -r, --recursive
>         Read all files under each directory, recursively; this is
>         equivalent to the -d recurse option.
>
>[...]
>
>GNU Project             1998/11/22                          1

Thanks to those who responded.  It's in grep-2.4, which (for Debian folk)
is in 'potato', but not in the current stable 'slink' (grep-2.2).  There is
an rgrep in slink.

        -frank

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: system requirements?
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:19:50 -0800

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, David Faure wrote:

> > You claim it's not a memory hog - please back that up with numbers.
> You claim it is a memory hog - please back that up with numbers.
> And please read my posts.

no, I never claimed anything - I just wonder. And I certainly won't
compile and install it to see for myself only because the developers
refuse to give any concrete info regarding memory footprint.
Btw, I read the rest of your post and was tempted to call it excuses
which in my last post I didn't.
                                          Gerald

Subject: Re: The Cart before the Horse.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:22:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Max Normal) wrote in <89lups$g4i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>This may sound a bit wacky, but is there such a thing as a Linux emulator
>for Windows?

    With the UMSDOS filesystem you can install a fully functional Linux onto
the filesystem you have Windows on and boot into it from a DOS prompt (not a
DOS box inside windows).

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: jgiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: print error when 'lpq' is run...
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:19:55 GMT

hey all...
i have an Epson Stylus 440 and i can't print from RH 6.1...
i've gone thru the control-panel and everything is defined
correctly... the name of the printer is lp... so when i run
`lpq` i get this message:

[root ~]# lpq
Warning: lp is down: waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
no entries

when i try printing a page, `lpr -Plp test.txt` the job goes
into the queue and i get this message:
[root ~]# lpr -Plp test.txt
lpr: connect: Connection refused
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

the job goes into the print queue and sits there... i've made
sure the printer was on and the lpd daemon is running...

i think it's a permission problem, based on the CONNECTION
REFUSED error. ideas ??

thanks..
jgiles

From: Andrei Aderca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LaTex
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:43:31 -0500

==============AB13081879FD1EF173F802C8

I have a bunch of files created in Lyx or Klyx. Is it possible to
convert them to encapsulated post script format ? (not the regular post
script export option included in the package) If so, what piece of
software do I need?

Regards

Andrei

==============AB13081879FD1EF173F802C8

begin:vcard
n:Aderca;Andrei
tel;home:(203) 316-9311
tel;work:(203) 383-5035
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Andrei Aderca
end:vcard

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: learning c++ with gcc-2.95...clear screen?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:36:36 -0700

Can someone direct me as to how one would clear the
screen in c++ under linux?  I have read dejanews
archives concerning this and see that there is no
way to do this that is c/c++ generic - that it is
os- and c++ distribution-specific.  That said, I
did a look for any linux-specific c++ programming
newsgroups and find none.

Can someone please instruct me as to how one clears
the screen in c++?  The model program I am using is
dos/windows based and uses conio.h to provide this
function.  I would like the similar function for
linux.

patrick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Rogerson)
Subject: Compiling under Corel Linux
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:21:17 GMT

I have not been able to compile the source in a 'tarball'.  I have Corel Linux
and I don't think the compiler, libraries, etc have been installed.  I have
tried to follow the instructions shown below which I cribbed from a message
in the comp.os.linux misc newsgroup:

$ tar xvzf package.tar.gz
$ cd package
(this directory will get created when you uncompress the tarball.
Standard practice requires that tarballs for public distribution create
a new directory and unpack themselves into it.
$ less README INSTALL FAQ
(all tarballs should have a README, some of them include INSTALL and FAQ
as well.)

(the above steps worked fine though there was no FAQ)

$ ./configure
(this runs the configure script, which finds out about your system and
makes it so the program will compile correctly)

(I don't seem to find './configure'.  Should this have been in the tarball?)

$ make
(this compiles the program from source)

(I don't seem to have 'make' either.  Should this be in the tarball?)

$ su -c 'make install'
(this executes 'make install' as root.  'make install' takes the
compiled program and any documentation, and puts them into the
/usr/local directory tree where you can execute or look at them.)

(Obviously since there is no 'make', I can't do this either.)

All the above leads me to suspect that I have an incomplete or missing
compilation set of files.  I know how to find, download and install files, but
I don't know what all I need and how the files to download are named.

I would be very grateful for help from a knowledgeable Linux guru.  Thanks
very much.

John Rogerson

From: David Faure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:39:17 +0000

Gerald Willmann wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
> > > You claim it's not a memory hog - please back that up with numbers.
> > You claim it is a memory hog - please back that up with numbers.
> > And please read my posts.
>
> no, I never claimed anything - I just wonder.
> And I certainly won't compile and install it to see for myself only
> because the developers refuse to give any concrete info regarding memory
> footprint.

So you are speaking about something you have no idea about ?
Great, that is really going somewhere.

What if I gave you numbers ? You would certainly say
"X MB for this ? That's a memory hog, for sure"
and I would say "No, that's perfectly acceptable".
Then what ?
Where have you seen a scale of what is considered too much
memory used by an application ? There is no such thing.

Just like you can call excuses what are perfectly
reasonable and technically accurate explanations,
you can call a memory hog any program running on any computer.

> Btw, I read the rest of your post and was tempted to call it excuses
> which in my last post I didn't.

What ???? Did you actually read that web page I pointed you to ?
It's NOT about excuses !! It's about doing actual measurements instead
of just looking at wrong numbers.

And memory usage always has to be weighted against what you can do with
it.
You want to save memory ? Install twm and be happy. Or don't even use X.

But I can see you have no intention to do any reasonable thinking about
the matter, I will therefore stop any correspondence on the subject.
I have better things to do with my time, for those who actually _USE_
KDE.

Bye.

--
David Faure
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - KDE developer

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How the *&^!@ do I get tar to tar long filenames?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:06:03 -0500

Well the \ escape for spaces does not work either.

The only way I got this to work is to write the directory names to a
file, then tell tar to get teh names from the file using the -T option -
no quotes and \ needed.  Why one works and not the other is a
mystery....

-N won't work because I need to back up the entire directory if any one
file in the directory has changed in the last 7 days.

Thanks.

--Yan

--

Think different
        ride a recumbent

------------------------------

From: Joe Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux,jeglenn
Subject: ETHERNET connection on Docking station
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:53:10 -0600

SUBJECT: ETHERNET connection on Docking station.

I have a question about my ethnet card setup. I get
it running but it is kind of flakey.  And I am not
sure where it figures out what module to load for my
ethernet card.

I am running a Dell Latitude CPi 366XT with & without
a docking station. I am running RedHat 6.1 but have
upgraded to kernel 2.2.14 and PCMCIA 3.1.10. (PPP didn't
want to work in 2.2.12-20 that was shipped with RH6.1.
Also running BIOS rev A05

When I am docked the lsmod looks the same as when
I am not docked.  In both cases it is running
3c589_cs.  But I thought I told it to run 3c59x.

I am sure some of this is wrong... here are my
settings:

/etc/conf.modules:
alias char-major-14 nm256
post-install nm256 /usr/bin/aumix -v 100,100
options eth0 xcvr=1 io=0x2f8 irq=5
alias eth0 3c59x

The 0x2f8 from Win98 "System Information"
Here is what it says for my setup reletive to
the 3COM stuff (when docked)_:
x0120-x012f 3Com Megahertz LAN +56K Modem PC Card (B)
x0120-x012f 3Com Megahertz LAN +56K Modem PC Card (B)(Ethernet Interface)
x02f8-x02ff 3Com Megahertz LAN +56K Modem PC Card (B)
x02f8-x02ff 3Com Megahertz LAN +56K Modem PC Card (B)(Modem Interface)
x02f8-x02ff 3Com Megahertz LAN +56K Modem PC Card (B)(Ethernet Interface)
x1080-x10ff 3Com 2C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (#C905C-TX
Compatible)

In conf.modules I have set 3c59x above to 3c509 with the
same options, and it worked (sometimes)

>From Network Configurator in GNOME (I am not sure
what files this info is stored in):

[interfaces 'page']
Interfaces        IP         proto atboot active
Io             127.0.0.1      none  yes   active
eth0        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  static       active
ppp0                          none  no    inactive
eth1                          none        inactive

NOTE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is really set to my IP address.
eth0 stuff I set up manually
eth1 stuff was configured by Kudzu at boot up while
I was docked.

In both cases (both docked and undocked) lsmod
shows:

Module                  Size  Used by
serial_cs               5168   0  (unused)
3c589_cs                8328   0  (unused)
ds                      6088   2  [serial_cs 3c589_cs]
i82365                 21120   2
pcmcia_core            41248   0  [serial_cs 3c589_cs ds i8
2365]
nm256                  69408   0  (autoclean)
sound                  57240   0  (autoclean) [nm256]
soundlow                 300   0  (autoclean) [sound]
soundcore               2372   6  (autoclean) [sound]

Also, it seems to take a while for the thing to
be able to find any other computers on the net.
(I suspect it is because I have something set
wrong and it figures that out.)

See anything I should be doing differently?  I was expecting
lsmod to show 3c59x while as was dock and that way I could
use to know I was docked (and then setup my external monitor).

Thanks for any input I only 1/2 understand any of this so any
comments are welcome.

Thanks much,
Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johnny Johanson)
Date: 2 Mar 2000 16:53:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles) writes:

>Thanks to those who responded.  It's in grep-2.4, which (for Debian folk)
>is in 'potato', but not in the current stable 'slink' (grep-2.2).  There is
>an rgrep in slink.

For those who don't have this version of grep, combine with find:

find . -type f -name '*' -print | xargs grep 'stringIwant'

The "-type f" options restricts to just greping in files (not directories,
devices etc). "-name '*'" can be omitted since it will match all filenames
anyway, but this is the place to restrict the grep to certain types of
files, for exmple "-name '*.txt'" for text files. '-print' can be omitted in
most versions of find but is required on some sytems.

// Johnny

--
                              ,,,          http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d2jo/
  Johnny Johanson            (o o)                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: $1.95 CDs - unstable version??????
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:35:43 -0600

> I obtained $1.95 CD and it seems that it is the unstable version of tha
> t distribution?
>
> Does these low priced CDs contain unstable version? I don't know if my
> assumption is correct as I am a newbie and fiddling with Linux (never
> went beyond installation :)  )

If you purchase an unstable version than that's what you get.
If you want the stable version then buy the stable version.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Mark S. Stanley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Router Project
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:48:07 -0500

I am setting up a computer to be used as a router using Linux Router Project
most recent release.  I used Peter Anvin's Syslinux to make the boot disk.
Installed the files and am getting the error after loading:

    Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

any thoughts?

------------------------------

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: grep-ing attackalerts from portsentry
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:19:48 -0700

I am running portsentry on my box.  Yesterday, for the first time,
I found that I two scan attempts had been made on my system
(and promptly blocked and reported by portsentry, logged in my
/var/log/messages file).

I have been thinking that I would like to have grep scan the
messages log every hour or so looking for "attackalert"
entries from portsentry.  What's more, I would like to set
up so that I hear a beep whenever grep finds a new attackalert
entry in the logs.  Right now, I simply have a cron job running
that has grep checking the log for "attackalert" every hour
and passing the result to a file called attackalert.txt in my
home directory.

I am teaching myself c++ and thought it might be interesting
to write an app that handles all this for me...using grep
to scan and then beeping and mailing me the results, but I
am not certain I am capable of this as yet.

My question is this:  Is there a simple way, via a script,
that I could use via cron to have grep check my log file
for "attackalert", beep me OR send me an email with the
log entry(ies), and only do this for NEW attackalerts
rather than have it keep seeing the same log entry each time
and sending me repeats?  In other words, on subsequent
grep searches of /var/log/messages, I would like to have
previously identified alerts be ignored and only new ones
tracked.

patrick

------------------------------

From: "D. Butler" <nospam*[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1]
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:06:59 -0500

JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >historically worked out, the egregious example being that of home VCR
formats.

> > There are more to "merits" than the product quality. There are very good
> > reasons why home VCR formats worked out the way they did.

Just thought I'd jump in here real quick...  it was my understanding that
VCR formats ended up as they did since one company had the format for Beta,
and they wouldn't give it to anyone else... therefore, the open VHS format
became the popular type so no one had to pay royalty fees.  Same thing
happened with Laserdisc's.....  I may be entirely wrong, too.  Ahh well.

-D. Butler

------------------------------

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape using all memory in linux
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:28:51 -0700

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:58:41 -0800, Bev <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> shouted forth into the ether:
> >linux user wrote:
> >> Version 4.72 is out. Maybe we will be more lucky :)
> >
> >Mine even hangs while I'm reading news.  Shame it's the only crapgame in
> >town.
>
> I had that problem too.  Netscape is a rather poor newsreader as these
> things go, so why not try slrn or tin or GNUS or Emacs?  There's even a
> KDE news client out there somewhere, though it was a bit lacking last I
> saw.
>
> Browsers are for browsing.  Not for doing E-mail, reading news, or FTPing.
[...]

I like using netscape for news.  It is the only newsreader that I have
used that is capable of displaying binaries (images), not requiring that
one save the image to disk and then view the image with yet another app.
Try using a plain-jane newsreader to view povray images in a rendering
binary group.  It sucks.

IS there a newsreader out there that can display binaries ala netscape's
newsreader?  If so, I would consider switching to just plain ole
netscape from netscape communicator.

patrick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: learning c++ with gcc-2.95...clear screen?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 18:34:21 +0100

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:36:36 -0700, Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Can someone direct me as to how one would clear the
>screen in c++ under linux?  I have read dejanews

If you don't reject a good GUI, I would suggest to install kDevelop1.1. It comes
with lot of online help and examples.

--
Eggert Ehmke
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mark Pinkerton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: connecting to internet via command line
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:33:38 -0600

i just log in as root and do

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
./ifup ifcfg-ppp0

this no work for you?

------------------------------

From: "D. Butler" <nospam*[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:16:34 -0500

David Faure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Gerald Willmann wrote:

> > > You claim it is a memory hog - please back that up with numbers.
> > > And please read my posts.
[snip snip snip snip snip snip]

I'm gonna jump in here with a couple numbers that don't indicate a whole
hell of a lot.  Ran Ktop (KDE top interface) at home the other day whilst
running a mail client, a news client, KDE's standard 1.1.2 desktop stuff,
the web browser, etc. (overall 52 processes running, including all my
background daemons, etc.)  and it reported 42MB of memory used.  I'm fairly
certain that the desktop itself was consuming very little memory, and that
it was mostly web applications that were.... however, as I'm at work at the
moment, I have no way of checking to see what's taking up what, and what may
be sharing memory, etc.  Plus I'm sure KDE 2.0 uses things a bit more
efficiently.  That's all...

-D. Butler

------------------------------

From: "D. Butler" <nospam*[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Change default OS in Corel Boot Menu
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:20:16 -0500

Also, if you don't want to mess with the lilo.conf file, I believe you can
simply type "lilo -D win98" (or whatever your Windows 98 label is).  That'll
reconfigure lilo to use that as the default OS.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't print when not root
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 17:30:28 GMT

I am using RH 6.2 and I print to a network printer by ip.  I have never had
any problem printing until a couple days.  Now when I print when I am not
root it spits out a header page with my machine name and the time then it
just spits out blank paper and a lot of blank paper.  It probably printed
100 blank sheets before I caught it and removed the printjob from the que.
It will do that everytime unless I am printing as root.  Everything acts
normal as root.

lpr is alread set to suid, but I don't know what else it could be??

Thanks,
Jordan

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: staroffice printing (or printing)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:49:02 -0700

Alexis Bilodeau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Mandrake 7.0 a few weeks before, and then I installed
> StarOffice to do some word processing.  My problem is that I can't print
> for my regular user account, only from root.  I just want to know wich
> permission or option should I choose and on wich file to make printing
> available for regular users.

One thing I found with Mandrake 7.0 recently...I was unable to
print and it took me several weeks to figure out what the deal was.
It appears that if you go with the default security level of
"medium" when you install, it screws up the printing.  What
appears to be the problem is that when you setup a printer
(lp, lp0, etc) the .config file for it, placed in /var/spool/lpd/lp,
or lp0, etc, is given to the wrong group.  This config file is given
to the root group when it SHOULD be assigned the lp group.

What you can do is, as superuser, run "chgrp lp" on the .config
file.  After that, printing works fine.  I ran into this after
pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't print
to samba-shared printers.  I thought there was a problem with
samba-2.06, then with lpr.  It turned out to be the group of
the printer config files.

patrick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: 3D Studio for Linux?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 17:46:35 GMT

Ditto, Mops.
it's easier to learn and allows me to use bmrt with shaders.
not every application that outputs a *.rib does so with shader
information intact.

phrostie

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "H.T. Shipman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Personally, I prefer the Mops
> (http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~rschultz/mops/) over Blender,
but
> maybe that's because it interfaces better with Blue Moon Rendering
Tools

--
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of dos

From: Hal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Question?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 18:08:02 +0000

Just installed RH Linux 6.0 and am using the Gnome GUI.

Where do I find the dialup connection window, so I can connect to the
internet?

Also, managed to get my sound card going and have found the X11amp, but
where
on the Linux file system can I find some midi files to play ?

TIA,
Hal