Linux-Misc Digest #731, Volume #20               Mon, 21 Jun 99 21:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Redhat 6.0 System Time is Slauching ("Chad Lavy")
  Mounting a Mac-formatted floppy? (Dave Bailey)
  Re: Redhat 6.0 System Time is Slauching (Silviu Minut)
  Re: Mindcraft Times Three Microsoft (Philip Brown)
  Re: Linux + RAM >64M (Philip Brown)
  Re: Linux viruses ("r.tolga")
  Guides to Linux Performance Tuning??? (Gopal Santhanam)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Jason O'Rourke)
  Re: Help with config. X ("r.tolga")
  Re: Run in background (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: MP3's (Silviu Minut)
  Re: Module dependecies (Silviu Minut)
  Re: xdiff / graphical merge utility? (Philip Brown)
  Local mail problem Redhat 5.2 (SMTP transaction error) (Warren Bell)
  Re: NT the best web platform? (Philip Brown)
  Application Servers on Linux... (Greg)
  Re: choosing an OS for a retired Sun workstation (Jason Hong)
  Re: HELP: How to get window size ??? (Silviu Minut)
  Re: LINUX Version Compatibililty (Tom Christiansen)
  Re: Modems! ("r.tolga")
  Re: FSCK and FS check forced.... (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Re: About SuSE Linux 6.1 (Michel Catudal)
  Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver? (Justin B Willoughby)
  Re: Linux on >8gb drives (Cameron L. Spitzer)

From: "Chad Lavy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 6.0 System Time is Slauching
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:37:22 -0400

Hi... I'm having an intermitant problem with the system time on my machine.
It seems that after a period of time left untouched, the clock either slows
down or stops altogether.  For instance, I recently left for two days and
left my machines running.  When I got back, my linux box was 7 hours behind.

Is this something built into the standard Redhat kernel?  Any ideas?

Tx,
Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Bailey)
Subject: Mounting a Mac-formatted floppy?
Date: 22 Jun 1999 00:17:29 GMT

I looked in the man pages for mount but couldn't find
what option to give it to mount a Mac-formatted floppy.
I have a few diskettes from a friend's Macintosh which
have some Word files on them and I want to write some
code to grab all the files and convert them to ascii.
Anybody know how to mount a mac floppy?  Thanks.

--
Dave Bailey

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 System Time is Slauching
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:18:07 -0400

It's probably APM (Advanced Power Management). If you have APM enabled in the
BIOS then when the computer is idle for a period of time it goes into suspend
mode, to save power and the system clock gets slowed down. You must have APM
compiled into the kernel and run the apmd daemon. I've seen posts saying that
the apmd in RH6.0 has a bug and there is a fix at the redhat eratta. However, I
managed to make the original RH6.0 apmd work.

If you don't care about electricity, the easiest thing to do is

boot
press delete while booting to enter setup
find the power management stuff and disable power savings.

This will make your computer run continuously, and the time should be right.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Subject: Re: Mindcraft Times Three Microsoft
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:56:57 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:33:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>As an aside, regarding Apache, I though it was interesting to hear what the
>Apache folks had to say about the whole affair.  The main points were
>- Speed is only useful up to a point, after than, it's just a marketing
>  tool.  In tests, Apache running on a measly P166 could generate enough
>  traffic to saturate a 10Mbps Ethernet connection, so it would seem to be
>  fast enough that Apache itself wouldn't normally be the limiting factor.

speed is still important. In particular, I consider latency very important.
If a web server can esily "saturate a T1", but it takes 2 seconds to deliver
ANY page... I'm not going to use it. I would lean towards a server that gives
at least sub-second response on most pages, with acceptible delays for
complex CGI, etc.

The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Subject: Re: Linux + RAM >64M
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:53:26 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 14:33:07 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>You can ignore any question which you don't want to answer.  Don't stop
>anyone to post their question into the newgroup.

don't encourage ignorance.
FAQs and message archives exist for two purposes:

1. to provide a FAST answer to questions
2. to reduce redundant traffic on a newsgroup

#1 benefits the would-be poster
#2 benefits every other reader of this newsgroup

From: "r.tolga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux viruses
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 02:48:54 +0300

Peter.vanHelden wrote:

> r.tolga ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> [snip]
> : I suggest some of you to read some Linux Advocacy Howtos. This is a news
> : group and sure some newbies or 'foreigners' send such messages.
> : If you are not interested in the topic or the question just pass it to
> : trash or whatsoever.  But do not reply to a message in such a manner.
> : Remember that you were a "newbie" and maybe asked the same question to
> : someone else in the past. Remember the person who answered you, and his
> : manner.  And finally you are NOT the owner of the list or newsgroup.
> [HTML snipped]
>
> Being a newbie is little excuse for not adhering to the netiquette.
>
> Would you please switch the HTML off, btw?
>
> Peter

am really sorry, was a mistake...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gopal Santhanam)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Guides to Linux Performance Tuning???
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:51:38 GMT

Hello,

I'd like to locate any references or guides on Linux system
performance tuning.  I'd assume, to receive acceptance as an
enterprise level solution, there should exist an easy infrastructure
for tuning the OS.  For example, Solaris and IRIX have the most
important kernel tunable parameters located in a central file.  Those
OS's also include utilities that help assess bottlenecks in the memory
and network subsystems.  Obviously these capabilities are of prime
importance for the sale of enterprise systems and are often developed
by the platforms' vendors!

Although my understanding is that VA Research and others offer high
performance Linux systems with support, I was hoping there might be
freely available guides on the topic of system tuning for a freely
available OS.  I tried doing some quick searches on performance tuning
for Linux and found that there is very little documentation on the
subject.  And, the little information I find is rather outdated.
Also, it appears that kernal tunable parameters are located in header
files without any documentation.  Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gopal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason O'Rourke)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: 21 Jun 1999 15:50:26 -0700

Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Unix certainly has had its troubles, especially with sendmail.  But at
>> this point, most of the issues have been resolved.

>Excluding of course every new app that is released, or every new update...

Which new apps are you referring to?  Most don't reinvent the wheel (see
NT) and don't open up numerous new holes.  Unix vunerabilities typical
involve getting uid 0 access.  Windows vunerabilities involve getting any
access, which is much easier, especially when MS helps with macro
languages.

>They don't sell fixes - they are free.

I guess you haven't seen the $20 Windows 98 SE yet - bunch of fixes you
could possibly download, plus newest IE, plus a utility to let you run a
NATD like function to network your house off one NIC.
--
Jason O'Rourke  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.jor.com
'96 BMW r850R

------------------------------

From: "r.tolga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with config. X
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 02:55:12 +0300

Grigori GOLDMAN wrote:

> I've been trying for weeks to configure my system to use a SVGA server but
> for some reason everytime I use it everything on the screen becomes very
> large.
>
> If anyone had a similar problem or just knows what I am doing wrong I'll
> be really happy to know. I've been through the XF86Config file a million
> times and I just don't know what else I can try.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Greg
> Grigori Goldman
> Department of Computer Science
> Melbourne University
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Grigori, can you send the specs for your box.
Especially include which kernel and distro you are using,
the specs, at least the vendor and chipset of your video
card
and megs. Also including some monitor specs would be fine.
with those infos, i think it will be easy to setup it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Run in background
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:59:23 GMT

In article <7km7ds$nm3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, vineet wrote:
>How do I make my C program to run in background after getting initialised.
>I mean that the program should detach from the terminal and should run in
>background like a daemon.

You can take the easy way out, there is a BSD function ... daemon(3).

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MP3's
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:24:42 -0400

If I'm not mistaken x11amp is the Linux equivalent (or port, if you will)
of winamp.
I use it and it works great!

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Module dependecies
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:36:31 -0400

After compilation you need to do

depmod -a ver

where ver is the version of the kernel you just compiled. (Such as 2.2.9
or 2.2.5). You run this command from any directory and it will
automatically create the file modules.dep under /lib/modules/ver (where
ver is the same as above).
The preferred directory is a RH thing, which is no longer being used
with RH6.0. You simply make a link to the version of the kernel you boot
most often.

ln -s /lib/modules/ver /lib/modules/preferred

Now if you cd /lib/modules you'll see preferred->ver, and in it,
modules.dep.

Your problem was not that the system could not find the modules (which
should be in /lib/modules/ver) but that it couldn't find the modules.dep
file.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Subject: Re: xdiff / graphical merge utility?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:37:50 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:20:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Eric George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On SGI's the is a nice utility called xdiff.  It brings up to text files
>> in side by side windows and highlights the differences between the
>> files.  You can the scroll through and choose which version of each
>> difference you want to keep and save the result.  Very handy for looking
>> at different versions of source files and such!
>
>       http://www.ede.com/free/tkdiff/index.html

now is there something that doesn't require tk/tcl?

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:10:48 -0700
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Local mail problem Redhat 5.2 (SMTP transaction error)

Hi,
I'm having a problem with my local mail delivery.  I'm using fetchmail
to poll my pop accounts and procmail to process it.  I had the same
exact setup on 5.1 and everything worked fine.  It was even working on
5.2 but I did a re-install and now somthing's wrong. I changed the
machines name from localhost but I don't know if that's affecting it. I
changed it back to localhost but it didn't fix the problem.

This is from /var/log/maillog:

Jun 20 16:01:39 linux fetchmail[1200]: 3 messages for resource at
mail.ca.jps.net (2736 bytes).
Jun 20 16:01:40 linux fetchmail[1200]: reading message 1 of 3 (912
bytes)  (log message incomplete)
Jun 20 16:01:40 linux fetchmail[1200]: SMTP connect to localhost failed:
Connection refused
Jun 20 16:01:40 linux fetchmail[1200]: SMTP transaction error while
fetching from mail.ca.jps.net
Jun 20 16:01:40 linux fetchmail[1200]: Query status=10
Jun 20 16:01:50 linux sendmail[303]: NOQUEUE: low on space (have 0,
SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue)

My .fetchmailrc:

poll mail.ca.jps.net protocol pop3:
username myuserneme
password xxxx

poll table.jps.net protocol pop3:
username myusername
password xxxx

poll mail.ca.jps.net protocol pop3:
username myusername
password xxxx

Do I need to change localhost to the machine name anywhere else?  It's
changed in /etc/hosts and anywhere else linuxconf and netcfg change it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: 22 Jun 1999 00:01:39 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:28:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 06:02:54 GMT,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Don't forget the "low budget testing environment" Mindcraft had.... They
>>dual-booted their Quad-Xeon box (which of course made for a lousy benchmark
>>right there and then --- those hard disks are not really behaving the same
>>over their whole capacity).
>
>I'll admit, I'm curious as to how much of a difference that makes.

Who said "dual-boot" means "shares the same root disk"?

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- next time Mindcraft, try using 2 identical disks :-)

They specifically said they didnt? That would be evil.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg)
Subject: Application Servers on Linux...
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:07:52 GMT

Hi all,

I'm investigating building a distributed application using Java's
Enterprise Java Beans(EJB).

I'll use the following quote from a "white paper" I read on a website
to help me describe the problem:

"EJB is simply an architecture--a paper specification. As described up
to this point, it depends on a component execution system that makes
the right implementation decisions for enterprise distributed
applications. This so-called "component execution system" is really an
application server. In the same way that relational databases are the
implementation of the relational model, application servers are the
implementation of the EJB model. "

Question1:  Is anyone aware of an EJB-enabled App. Server that runs on
Linux?

Question2: Is there in anything happening on this front in the open
source world?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Hong)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: choosing an OS for a retired Sun workstation
Date: 22 Jun 1999 00:30:12 GMT

I am using RedHat6.0 on my old sparc10 and am so happy it is much cleaner
thatn SunOS5.7.   I have all the tools even on my Sparc and feel much more
secure and more efficient with RedHat.

That is why Solaris comes with Linux nowadays.

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: How to get window size ???
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:16:57 -0400

At the prompt type

xwininfo

then click on the window you need.

------------------------------

From: Tom Christiansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: LINUX Version Compatibililty
Date: 21 Jun 1999 17:14:17 -0700

     [courtesy cc of this posting mailed to cited author]

In comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian M. Begg) writes:
:QUESTION:  Does the web-server (at my
:web-host location) have to be running under
:the same LINUX 6.0 operating system, or can
:the web-server run on an older version?  Can
:the web-server run on UNIX?

This makes no sense at all.  Lawyers and other evil spin players aside,
everyone knows that Linux *is* Unix; or perhaps you might say, it's
just another *flavor* of Unix.  (And those aren't all caps, either.
There's no acronym here.)  Linux is just a branch in a larger tree,
one that ramifies into its own variant flavors, as you have discovered.
There is no "Linux 6.0 operating system".  Linux is currently in the
the 2.whatevers, not the 6.whatevers.  You are talking about some
user-level distribution.  It's true that these vary (there are more
Linux distributions than BSD distributions), but the only potentially
important issue is what web server you're running.  Running Apache and
Perl on one flavor of Unix should be essentially same as running the
same version of those on any other Unix system.

So long as your write your C code using standard ANSI and POSIX calls,
and you write your Perl code with standard Perl, and you write your
CGI mucking about using the proper interface, and avoid any server API
shenanigans or at most limit them to Apache's, you should be fine.

--tom
--
Ken is very smart but also very opinionated.  --Doug Gwyn

------------------------------

From: "r.tolga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems!
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:03:54 +0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> YO YO YO!
>
> I'm looking for some reommendations for modems that work well under
> linux.  Now that I'm in the process of ditching windoze, I gotta get rid
> of that crappy win-modem. I'm running on a pretty standard P100 system.
> Kinda looking for something that is reliable, fast and easy to setup
> under linux. Thanx!

An external modem would be a good choice since you can reset
it
by pushing a button even the ppp software crashes.
I use Zoltrix external 56K, no problems yet.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: FSCK and FS check forced....
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:59:54 GMT

In article <7kmdhs$96e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Josip Prgomet wrote:
>I have a P-133 32MB and S3 Virge DX and 1,6 WD21600 caviar HDD .. I
>installed RH6.0 without problems .. but after that I have a BIG problem ..
>linux freezes often and all I can do is use reset button .. but after that

Correctly installed on reliable hardware, Linux doesn't freeze often.
Either your hardware is unreliable, you're installing it incorrectly,
or you're installing from a corrupted copy of a distribution.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About SuSE Linux 6.1
Date: 21 Jun 1999 19:10:23 -0500

Jim Richardson wrote:

> The only problem I am having with SuSe 6.1 is getting mp3 files to play
> properly using the oss drivers. They worked fine on this machine with RH5.2
> but play as if the lower byte is not coming through.
>  Wavs and cds play fine (audio cds).

How different is the OSS driver in SuSE from the one that cost
$20? I didn't bother installing the one that comes with SuSE
since I had allready purchased it.

My only complaint so far is about the Netscape version that
comes with it. I didn't want it installed but it was installed
anyway. Not that I don't like Netscape but I prefer the US Version.
It would be nice to have a decent version of Netscape on one of the
installation CDs instead of the export version.

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver?
Date: 22 Jun 1999 00:32:15 GMT

Eric Veldhuyzen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Ronald Hovens writes:
>> Hello, I have a fine-working redhat linux server. However, I have a
>> problem with synchronizing my system clock with a time server on the
>> internet.  To set my system clock every time an internet connection
>> is established, I use the rdate command in my ip-up script:
>
>> /usr/bin/rdate -s wrzx03.rz.uni-wuerzburg.de
>
>> This works partially: the system clock indeed is set, but when I
>> turn off my computer, the clock setting is lost. How can I make sure
>> that the time/date setting is stored in the CMOS clock, so powering
>> off doesn't affect the new setting?
>
> Use the setclock comamnd to store the time in the CMOS. I advise you
> to use NTP (xntpd). It is more accurate.

I am user ntpdate to get the correct date/time from a time server and I am
using /sbin/hwclock to set my Hardware.

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!!!!!!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: Linux on >8gb drives
Date: 22 Jun 1999 00:06:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Don Pederson wrote:
>I'm new to Linux.  I have a copy of Caldera 2.2 and am planning to
>install it on my Win98 system.  I have an IBM ATA-66 14gm hard disk, but
>have gotten the impression that the partition Linux is installed in must
>begin under the 8gb area.  Is this true?  If so, can I start it at say,
>7.5gb and go to 9.5gb?  I have Partition Magic 4.0, so I can create
>partitions easily.
>
>The messy thing about this is that then I have to have two partitions
>for Win98, one before and one after the Linux partition.

If the first Win-98 partition ends before the 1024th cylinder, put the
LILO-related files in a folder on it.  Linux can be installed anywhere.
It's only the boot stuff that uses BIOS, and it's BIOS that can't
see beyond the 1023rd cylinder.  The boot stuff does not have to
be in a Linux partition.

Cameron