Linux-Misc Digest #439, Volume #18                Sat, 2 Jan 99 13:13:20 EST

Contents:
  Re: Where to get Linux FAQ ("Paul Stevens")
  Re: NOSPAM in addresses.. ("Paul Stevens")
  Re: Whats the best *offline* usenet reader for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help: Can't remove black Vertical lines on X Windows (REMOVE CAPS)
  Re: What is a kernel panic? (Matthias Warkus)
  WP8 installation (Neil Durant)
  video capture & editing (frank)
  Re: CGI & Perl Problem (Neil Cherry)
  Re: CGI & Perl Problem (Neil Cherry)
  Help getting ldescent to run (root)
  Re: I am a Unix convert (Ilya)
  Re: Java Machine - ICQ in Red Hat 5.2 (Juhani Vanhala)
  SuSE 5.3's eide01 and math? problem (Ruben Reyes)
  Re: SCSI Hard disk power saving ? ("Lee Mitchell")
  Printer woes!! (Chris Rideout)
  Re: help me choose license (steve mcadams)
  Re: help me choose license (steve mcadams)
  Java Machine - ICQ in Red Hat 5.2 ("John Robicheau")
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (Nix)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (Nix)

From: "Paul Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where to get Linux FAQ
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 19:37:25 +0400

Andrew at earthlink.net responded in e-mail
>Hi Paul,
>
>This may be what your looking for.....
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/linux.html

and Robert Kiesling posted the FAQ in comp.answers and this ng giving
that the FAQ is available online at http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/

Many thanks,
Paul
Vain effort to resist spam, to write back via email remove
'nospam-' from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Paul Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NOSPAM in addresses..
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 20:07:31 +0400

Michael Powe wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Don't email to people who munge addresses.  It's that simple.  Munged
>addresses are a violation of usenet standards.  To me, it just
>indicates people who prefer not to take care of their spam problem
>themselves -- they push the problem off on someone else.  It's
>particularly pathetic in linux newsgroups, since everyone running
>linux has the ability to filter spam with procmail.
>
>Munging addresses does nothing to reduce the actual volume of spam on
>the net.  It just makes inconvenience for other users.
>
>mp

Just like to add my 2 cents for the pro side.  I access the 'Net via
dial-up through a proxy server from the only available ISP in the United
Arab Emirates courtesy of the local Telecom.  Since my postings over the
last year or so that I've been using the 'Net have been relatively few,
the causal effect of making a post and receiving spam is quite obvious.

Given the local Telecom's paranoia re all thing sexual on the 'Net, the
last thing I need is to have my mailbox stuffed with 'come-ons' (sorry
for the pun) from sex sites who seem to be the chief offenders of
spamming.  This could give the ISP the wrong idea about my online
activities and is potentially dangerous both legally and as far as the
safety of my account is concerned.  Losing my account would put me off
the 'Net, period, since access via international lines is illegal and
prohibitively expensive.

All I can say is that since I started munging my address the amount of
spam received has dropped to zero.  Is it possible that spammers respect
the wishes of those who explicitly state, via their address, that they
don't want to receive spam?  (..... yeah, OK, naive qustion).  If I'm
following the rest of the flock then all I can say is 'Baaaaaa'  :>)

Regards,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Whats the best *offline* usenet reader for Linux?
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 14:12:10 GMT

Eric Hardwick writes:
> Please let me know what you are all using for usenet reading?

I use suck and cnews to run a local server for the few groups my wife and I
read.  Use gnus to read news and mail, she uses trn for news,
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (REMOVE CAPS)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Help: Can't remove black Vertical lines on X Windows
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 17:36:52 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jan 1999 17:07:13 -0500, Jodeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm having problems configuring X Windows on Redhat 5.2. When I start X
>Windows, there is a black vertical bar going down the screen with more
>smaller vertical  lines following to the right until the edge of the
>screen. Another problem is that the mouse cursor seems to be 1
>centimeter off to the left of where it actually should be.

        I had a problem with vertical red lines when I first got
X-Window running.  Turned out to be inadequate video RAM.  I assembled
my Linux machine from separate parts, and bought a cheap video card
just to get the thing working.  It had 256 Kb.  I replaced it with one
that had 4 MB and the red lines were gone.

        I see that you have an S3 chipset, which doesn't sound like
something that would be accompanied by such an absurdly low amount of
video RAM, so your problem probably has a different cause.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: What is a kernel panic?
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 03:24:24 +0100

It was the 1 Jan 1999 23:19:09 GMT...
..and Pete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tried rebuilding my kernel and really mucked it up -- before getting the
> option to boot the new/old kernel, I got the message:
>
>    kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3:01
>
> What is VFS and 3:01?   Can someone guess what I did wrong to receive this
> message?

VFS: Virtual Filesystem Switch (the kernel FS abstraction layer)
3:01: major/minor device number (?)

Probably you forgot to run /sbin/lilo after changing the boot configuration.

> I couldn't figure out how to get back to the original kernel, so I simply
> reloaded the OS, and all is well right now.  Since I didn't format the
> non-system partitions, no important data was lost, (unlike win95 and it's
> lame-ass registry).

Well, great it worked out this way. Next time try booting off a rescue
floppy (you don't have one? Then get one, there are bad-ass Linux-on-a-disk
systems that are highly useful), run /sbin/lilo to rewrite you MBR and look
whether it helps.

Or simply remember to run /sbin/lilo whenever you change your boot
configuration. It's simpler ;)

mawa
--
Matthias Warkus    |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |    Dyson Spheres for sale!
My Geek Code is no longer in my .signature. It's available on e-mail request.

------------------------------

From: Neil Durant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WP8 installation
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:15:11 +0000

Hi,
   I'm trying to install WP8 (downloaded version) onto my Redhat 5.1
system.  I've got to the part of the installation wizard thing in
X-Windows which asks for the registration number "which is on the
registration card" - however, having downloaded WP8 I don't have a
registration card!!!!  I went to the Corel site and registered myself
and got a registration number, but the installation program won't
accept it.  What am I supposed to enter into that box??

Hope someone can help!

Neil
Neil Durant                              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tel/fax: (+44) 01293 454736              Mobile: (+44) 0956 351 019

From: frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: video capture & editing
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 18:02:51 +0100

hello there,

i am looking for video capture and editing software and drivers for
popular video capture cards for linux but there doesnīt seem to be such
a thing which  is kinda surprising . . . i didnīt think there was an
area of software development which was not covered by the linux
community . . . ;-)

or does anone know of such things (or a site which provides
information)?

cheers

frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Subject: Re: CGI & Perl Problem
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 15:17:49 GMT

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 11:38:08 +0000, Andy Birkett wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Neil Cherry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>writes
>>On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:30:22 +0000, Andy Birkett wrote:
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I am running RH5.1 and Apache 1.2 and I am having problems with my CGI
>>>Perl scripts.  I cannot get my scripts to read or create a file located
>>>on the web server, yet when I run the same scripts from a shell, the
>>>files are read/created fine.
>>>
>>>I haven't changed any settings in the Apache conf files, do I need to
>>>allow CGI scripts to access the files stored in the HTML directory of
>>>the web server.  Or is it a file system problem? I have given write
>>>access to the directory I want to create my log files in, and Navigator
>>>can read the HTML OK, so why can't my CGI scripts?
>>>
>>>Hope you can help
>>
>>Probably the directory doesn not have permission for the user nobody
>>to write there.

>I tried this, but it still didn't work.  Security is not a problem, this
>is a stand-alone machine, so I gave full access to everyone and it still
>fails.

What do the error logs say? Another guess would be that the new setup
has the cgi-bin directory in a different place. one thing I noticed
with RedHat is that they will totally ignore any previous config file
you may have been using (check out /etc to see all the *.rpmorig files
to see what I mean).

My error logs are in /var/log/httpd/error_log (full file name and path).

--
Neil Cherry      (Text only) http://members.home.net/ncherry
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Graphics)  http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/lightsey/52

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 15:14:33 GMT

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help getting ldescent to run
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 09:35:39 -0600

I'm new to Linux and cannot figure out how to get ldescent from
muppetlabs to run.  I download the source and unzip it and unarchive
it.  After that I have no idea.  I cannot find any good documentation
anywhere so if anyone could help, I would be most appreciative.  Also,
can anyone recommend any good resources (books, web-sites, etc) for
those of us who would like to learn to use Linux well, but have no
previous Unix experience?
Thanks in advance

From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.sys.hp.hpux
Subject: Re: I am a Unix convert
Date: 2 Jan 1999 09:12:27 GMT

In comp.unix.admin brian moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Try http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/hardware.html for a list.

> There are similar lists of Linux vendors.  The next system I buy (as
> soon as I clean up my desk so I have a place to put it :)) will be from
> http://www.aslab.com/.  Nice prices, good quality components.  The
> preinstallation is nice, but the real push is that I wouldn't be paying
> for another copy of Windows that I won't use and that I'd be supporting
> a good vendor that produces quality systems instead of disposable
> computers.

Thanks for the www.aslab.com site. I will probably get it from them, that
was exactly what I was looking for.

How does not partition a 9GB hard drive?  Do you allocate all the space to
the partitions like /var, /opt and /usr, /var/adm/crash or can you allocate
only half of it to the operating system and then increase the size of a
partition on the basis of need? I am mostly familiar with the Logical
Volume Manager found on HP-UX and AIX.

Thank you, please post

------------------------------

From: Juhani Vanhala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Java Machine - ICQ in Red Hat 5.2
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 14:13:28 +0000

I'm another newbie, so I may not know what I'm talking about. :)

Have you compiled your kernel with java support? I have RH5.2 too, and I
don't
think java was included in the kernel. Go to /usr/src/linux and do make
xconfig.
Enable java and recompile. Well, there is a lot more steps needed, but
you get
the idea.

- Juhani

------------------------------

From: Ruben Reyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSE 5.3's eide01 and math? problem
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 15:25:43 GMT

Hi.

I downloaded SuSE 5.3.

eide01 is 1,47KB.
I want to copy it to a
formated 1.44 floppy. Scandisk
reports 1,457,664.

What shoul i do
??????????????????

thanx

------------------------------

From: "Lee Mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI Hard disk power saving ?
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 17:22:03 -0000

Thanks, its just what I was looking for !

--
Lee Mitchell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chris Rideout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer woes!!
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 13:52:04 -0330

I recently installed Redhat 5.2 on my computer and have been trying to
configure my BJC 4000 printer.  I can get it to print text perfectly,
but I cannot print postscript.  When I try to print postscript the paper

simply shows:

Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops
(1488)op_array(486)0x817b0d4:Execution stack at 0x813ccc8:

followed by a mess of numbers and such.   I have tried the apsfilter but

it does not have a driver for the BJC-4000.  I also downloaded
ghostscript 5.10 and this didn't work either.  I would greatly
appreciate it if anyone could explain this to me or provide a solution!!

CR

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Subject: Re: help me choose license
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 16:00:14 GMT

[Snipped for brevity, quoted material marked with ">"]
On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:01:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>By "non-commercial use" I assume that you mean something like "You may use
>this for personal, non-commercial purposes.  You may give away copies but
>you may not sell them."  This would mean that I could not, for example, use
>a word processor based on your code to write a proposal, and that
>CheapBytes couldn't put it on one of their $2.00 CD's.  It would get used
>by a few students, but hardly anyone would ever hear of it.

1.  I would like the code to be free for use in free products, ie
products that are not sold.  So it could go into distribution X, be on
the cheapbytes cdroms, etc.  Very close to, if not identical to, GPL
code (though I'll have to closely review the GPL again to see if there
are any sticking points that I've forgotten).

2.  I would like it to be available for use in commercial products via
purchase of a proprietary license.

It seems that it should be possible to do both, so that if someone
develops an application that uses only this library and their own
code,  then decides to make it commercial, they could buy a
proprietary license and go for it.  If they use other free code such
as GPL'ed code, they would lose this option, but not because of my
code.  There are applications out there that really are worth paying
for and that are not outrageously priced, and I see no reason they
should not benefit from my library and vice versa.  Just like there
are very good free products out there.

>As long as you insist on thinking in terms of doing all the work yourself
>and then giving it away, yes,
>
>> This would be easier for me anyway, since I wouldn't need to write as
>> many comments in the code.
>
>This would be harder for you, since you would need to write and debug every
>line of code yourself.  And you will make it harder yet if you skimp on
>comments.

It would be great to have help at some point, but there are two
problems with getting help.  The first is (2 above) which affects the
way contributions can be handled.  The second is that a certain amount
of code has to be written to (a) show the design of the thing so
there's a framework that can be filled in and (b) prove that the thing
works; at least on the Windows side, I am intending to use a pretty
radical approach (I know it will work, but I don't know how many
roadblocks uncle bill has put in the way).  I really am unable to see
how I could possibly avoid this except by spending time writing a
design document that could be better spent by writing the code.  I'm
open to ideas...

>Seems to me that the free software community has shown quite a bit of
>interest, given that we have seen only the sketchiest of proposals.

Amazingly so, and it is very much appreciated.

>The way to generate real interest is to show us some code.  Free code.  Grand
>proposals are a dime a dozen.

I agree completely with this too.  If I was not interested in showing
you some Free code, I would not have started this thread.

It seems that my thinking on the whole licensing issue is clearing up
a little at a time as I learn about more available options.  I'm still
trying to determine how to handle the contribution aspect while
retaining the option of selling proprietary licenses.  This is, to me
at least, a very difficult issue (from a moral/ethical standpoint if
nothing else).

At the moment the best I can think of is to make it very clear upfront
that "by contributing code to this project, you are assigning the
necessary rights to allow your contributions to be included in a
proprietary product" or suchlike.  Contributed code would go into both
the free and proprietary products which would be identical except for
what is done with the product and whether one pays for it.  I am not
sure what the potential open-source community contributors would think
of such a thing; would they be offended that someone is in effect
selling their code, or would they be glad to see their code included
in a free product?

As you can see I am still somewhat confused on the subject.  -steve
Tools for programmers: http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 16:00:17 GMT

[Snipped for brevity, quoted material marked with ">"]
On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 11:37:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex
Butcher) wrote:

>State clearly in your licensing terms that you'll assume that all
>contributions have been assigned for you to incorporate into both the Free
>and non-Free versions. At least that way, people know what they're getting
>into before they contribute. And, as long as you continue to maintain the
>Free branch (i.e. just as improvements continue to be made to the 2.0.x
>kernel even though 2.1.x is being developed), I think you'll find people
>more co-operative than you'd expect.

This is pretty encouraging.

>>, were fixes that
>>fixed a specific problem while breaking several other things, etc. ;
>
>Do a Linus:
>
>- "This feature is never going in my package!"
>- "Hmmm... interesting idea, but you need to clean up *this* and prevent
>   it from breaking *that*"
>- "Great, thanks! It'll be in the next release."
>- "Um... can you explain what you're trying to do here?"

Hey, even I can do that <g>

>There's always the choice for your users not to contribute. Personally, I'd
>find it a pain to have to constantly re-apply my personal patches to the
>distribution version and would make every effort to get them incorporated if
>they were vaguely generic in nature. I'm lazy like that... :)

More encouragement; thanks Alex.  -steve

From: Nix <$}xin{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux FUD
Date: 30 Dec 1998 19:25:24 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson) writes:

> The right way is to prepend it to the PATH variable defined in
> /etc/profile.

Prepending things to PATH is evil.

Why?

Because if *any* component of the PATH iterates through an NFS-mounted
system, and that system is down, then you get massive delays/total
halts from anything which scans the PATH with the expectation of *not*
finding what it's looking for there (gcc does this, for one).

Symlinks, on the other hand, are only dereferenced when someone tries
to run the program located in that NFS-mounted directory, in which
case blocking until the relevant NFS server comes up again is the
Right Thing(tm).

Oh, and steering clear of PATHization also lets you install things
without requiring everyone to log out and log in again (ugh, shades of
Windows).

--
`Anyone who says you can have a lot of widely dispersed people hack
 away on a complicated piece of code and avoid total anarchy has never

------------------------------

From: Nix <$}xin{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 30 Dec 1998 19:30:24 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Julian T. J. Midgley) writes:

> Try searching sunsite for "xfs", and use the one most appopriate for
> your distribution.

!?!?!

It's part of the core MIT X distribution. i.e., you should have it
already.