From: Bill Delphenich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Linux VS Redhat 7
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:15:11 -0500

Rex Dieter wrote:

> >Version 7.0 may well be the worst Redhat release
> > ever! It's got quite a lot of bugs,

I have been using RH7 for a while now and I'm working my way through all the
gotcha's in there. I can't say for sure that I have encountered many bona-fide
BUGS yet, but there are a number of things that are different in it from previous
releases. Since I have been running Linux for a couple of years now, it throws me
when lots of things get moved around and things I used to know don't work any
more. There seems to be a lot of that In RH7.

I guess that's why they named it version 7.0, instead of version 6.x.

FWIW

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 17:26:12 +0100

William Pelish wrote:

> Thanks
> I have found in what little use I have had with Corel that there is little
> or almost no bugs in the OS. However Redhat has a few too many I don't wish
> to deal with. I am looking for something I can understand and grasp easy. So
> far this one for me seems to work however everything is expendable.

Then try Mandrake Linux 7.2. Easy to install, manage upgrade.... based
on RedHat distribution plus enhancements. It's particulary good the
multilanguage support. And it's not as buggy aas RedHat 7.0

http://www.linux-mandrake.com

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Where the heck is kerneld in RH6.2 ?
Date: 1 Dec 2000 16:27:51 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Fabrice Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi all,
>Am I suffering from early blindness ? Is there a substitute to kerneld
>for RH6.2 ? kernelcfg still refers to it, so I am confused.

kmod.
All kernels of the 2.2.x series use kmod instead, which is a kernel
daemon rather than a separate program.
The question is do you modules load when they are needed?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cron did not run, why?
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:24:52 GMT

I wanted to make a simple backup routine to back up nightly. My crontab
file looks like:

45 23 * * * /root/backup_script

Of course, this was a test on a local system with no other users. I
plan to put a similar script into /usr/local/bin (I don't mind regular
users running the backup script). I used "crontab crontab" and crontab -
l looks fine. It was actually 23:35 when I set it, so it was supposed
to run in ten minutes. I logged out of root and left it alone. When I
came back (0:05), the backups tars were not to be found. But after
searching for it (not in root), I heard the hard drive move and to my
surprise, the backups were made. So I'm wondering why my cron command
didn't run at the specified time. I ran "date" to make sure that my
linux box was set properly.

Since I ran it as root, it certainly doesn't have to wait until root
logged in. Did my computer go into suspend mode or something? If so,
how am I supposed to prevent it from suspending on real machines? Or
did it need time to register the new cron file (since it eventually ran
the script)? Any help...even guesses...will help.

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/ owner entries being changed
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 08:46:20 -0800

John Thompson wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I am running Redhat 6.1, and using KDE 1. Every now and then I look
> > in the /dev directory and find something is changing the owner of
> > the device files to a regular user (the one I log in as). For the life
> > of me can't figure out what is going on. The files affected include
> > fd[0-1]*, radio, dsp, audio, sequencer, video[0-2], winradio[0-1],
> > js[0-3], hdd (cdrom drive), vbi[0-2], fb[0-7], vtx*, video*.
> >
> > The permissions are usually set to 0600. What is going on ?
>
> This is a function of the "PAM" authentication package.  By
> default, only the user at the console has ownership of the
> devices attached to the machine (ie, floppy, sound, cdrom, etc.).
> for security reasons.  If you don't like it, it can be
> reconfigured.  See "man pam_console" for details.
>
> --
>
> -John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

My problem with this situation on RH 6.2 was that, OK, the
ownership/permissions were changed when I was logged in, but they
weren't restored when I logged out.  It seems to be fixed on RH
7.0 (or PAM was fixed?)

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Backup Hard Drive...
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:52:01 GMT

On 1 Dec 2000 12:56:45 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Volker Apelt) wrote:

>You know that backup is more than just having a second
>copy of everything? good backup software maintains an
>archive, too.

Any recommendations for archiving backup software for Linux?

FWIW I went the DAT tape route with a SCSI HP DDS2 drive, and am
currently making backups up via a script and tar. A stopgap until I
find or write something better.

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: "Kevin White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape 4.xx
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:24:08 +0600

Get netscape six, it uses the mozilla engine and seems to be more stable
than M18.  Atleast for me...  Only problems I had was installing, took
about 15 tries, but finally got it.  Mainly stalling on download and
segfaults during install...  I recommend, if you try, deleting the
netscape folder it installs in everytime it crashes, to insure no other
corruption...

------------------------------

From: "trebor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem setup for dial-in
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:39:30 -0500

I'm having trouble enabling >9600 baud on my modem for dial-in. Based on
feedback from a previous post, and other research, I'd like to send the
AT&B1 command to my modem.

However, in my previous post I asked how to send AT commands to the serial
port. Two suggestions came in. Both failed for my setup:

=>1: Simply use the echo command, redirecting output to /dev/ttyS1 (my modem
is on COM2). Unfortunately, the command hangs and I have to Ctrl-C to get
out of it:

    echo "AT&B1" > /dev/ttyS1

When I do this, nothing happens. I let it run for at least 60 seconds, then
hit Ctrl-C. The following appears, but only after I pressed Ctrl-C:

    bash: /dev/ttyS1: Interrupted system call

I also tried - and it also hung - the command:

    echo "ATS0=1" > /dev/ttyS1

I thought echo might be hanging because getty already has the port in use.
So I removed ttyS1 from /etc/inittab, ran 'kill -1 1' and confirmed that the
getty process that ran for ttyS1 was no longer running - it wasn't.
Nevertheless, echo still hangs.

=>2. Second suggestion was to use minicom. Unfortunately, I'm working on a
stripped-down red hat 6.1 system, and RPM isn't included. Argh.

RELATED QUESTION:

In reading about getty, I find  there are many variants (eg, mgetty,
uugetty, getty_em, and agetty). My stripped down system only has
/sbin/getty, /sbin/mingetty and /sbin/uugetty. I'm calling /sbin/getty in
/etc/inittab. Should I use uugetty instead?

I tried uugetty in inittab, as follows:

    S1:1345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty ttyS1 F9600

and also:

    S1:1345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty ttyS1 F115200

but now after the modems connect, they IMMEDIATELY drop the line. In
Hyperterminal on the calling system I see only the CONNECT message, then the
line drops immidiately. At that moment, I see this syslog message:

    uugetty[1048]: exiting on HANGUP signal

This is worse that when I used plain /sbin/getty .. at least it stayed
connected, albeit all data in and out are garbled due to the apparent baud
rate mismatch.

Thanks,
-Bob

------------------------------

From: kenaniah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Recognizing multiple CPUs
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:42:33 -0500

Actually, I would recommend just installing the smp kernel after you have
the second processor in.  It's just an rpm install.  Some motherboards
didn't like the fact that there was an os trying to use a processor that
wasn't there.
Besides, it's cleaner that way.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Kadau)
Subject: Re: cdrecord and HP9500/ATPI cd-drive?
Date: 1 Dec 2000 17:49:24 GMT

: > Just added a hp-9500i/atpi (internal drive: 12x8x32x drive) to Mandrake-7.0
: > The man page for cdrecord mentions only SCSI devices, so, does it work
: > with IDE/ATPI drives?
: check the CD-Writing HOWTO for instructions on writing CD's.
: it's very useful.
:
: just another tip, if u compile both scsi emulation support AND ide support
: into your kernel, the ide driver takes precedence. i compile both as modules.
: by default, the ide driver gets loaded, and when i need to write CD's, i
: unload the ide driver and enable scsi emulation instead.

actually, that's not necessary, you can have both, automatically loaded
depending on the application. (to be more precise: the used device)
it's all there in the aforementioned CD-Writing-HOWTO.
i presume you're having a 2.2.x-kernel with x>=11 ?
then you may do it the old way and give the kernel a parameter
'hdy=ide-scsi', where y is your burner-drive-letter.

do you have another CDROM for sound e.g. ?
if NOT, then you should change the symlink /dev/cdrom to point to /dev/scd0
instead of /dev/hdy.
this setup (+ other things you have to play around with in modules.conf)
worked just fine after compilation on a friend's box.

i know, this advice is incomplete, and i apologize for this, anyway, you still
have to read the HOWTO.

        peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jean-Yves Simon)
Subject: Re: problem with tcsh and bksp key
Date: 1 Dec 2000 17:49:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Wiegand wrote:

: Linux is set up so that by default the backspace key sends Control-? (^?).
: Many programs expect Control-H (^H) for backspace.

: I'm not sure about the best way to work around this.

Since this is driving me crazy, I did some experiments:

I have stty erase ^H in mt tcshrc file. In this case, uder
ftp or some other softs, the bksp doesn't work and echo
^?. But if type in the cli stty sane, I get the bksp to
work.

Now, if I enter X, everything is bad again. I have found
that if an X window, I type stty erase ^H , it works.

So, one thing I don't understand, is why when I have an
stty erase ^H in my tcshrc , I can't see it anymore when
I enter X. Is there a way to do it that when I enter X ?

I have to start in cli mode with stty sane, then when
I enter X, I have to do stty erase ^H.

Thanks and regards.
Jean-Yves Simon

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:59:18 GMT

Peter writes:
> In my opinion, the proper thing to do is to give ownership of the
> contentious devices to special groups (floppy, audio, ...) and add the
> people who want to use those devices to those groups.

That is what Debian does.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: C. L. Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:05:46 GMT

Only problem I've had with 6 is that it's just slow as black strap
molasses on a cold winter morning, even on a 550 with 160 meg ram. I
fortunatly left my 4.75 intact where I can still use it as needed and
play with 6 as I find time.

The problem of slow downloads and installs can be solved by finding a
build that works good for you, ftp all the archives down to, in my case,
/home/ftp/pub/ folder, then go to the netscape-install folder the
installer builds and modifying the ns-install.ini, or ns-install.conf, I
can't remember which off hand, so that the FTP Urls point to your
ftp.(host.name)/pub or file: on local machine and then each time you
need to do a reinstall you can do it locally off your own machine.

Of course having a distribution CD is one thing, but you're stuck with
the same build.

Charles

--
Laughter is the best laxative there is for a constipated mind. Humor is
an ideal spoon to dose it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:12:54 GMT

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:03:28 +0000, Fabrice Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have just upgraded from RH6.0 to RH6.2 and to my dismay, kerneld
> has disappeared. [...]

Look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kmod.txt

--Pete

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Non PC formatted disks, /etc/fdprm
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:17:04 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:907t6o$vpg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have some old 3.5" floppys which are not DOS formatted.
> They've got 8 sectors per track, not 9, and I'm sure they've
> got other strange formatting quirks too. I'm not interested
> in mounting them (as they don't have a supported filesystem
> on them), but I would like to be able to block read them.
>
> I've looked into /etc/fdprm, and the kernel source, and I've
> tried some values, but I can't dd the disks.
>
> Can anyone point me at some good documentation of how
> to set up the parameters in order to access disks formatted
> in different ways by different types of disk hardware etc.?
>
> {{{ Andy

Before you spend too much time on these floppies, you should
try to determine if they are in fact hardware compatible with
your floppy drive.  Floppies written on some other hardware (Apple?)
are just not compatible, regardless of the software.

Try reading just the very first sector with dd, or with DEBUG.EXE
on a DOS box.

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:30:19 GMT

Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
  <snip>
> In my opinion, the proper thing to do is to give ownership of the
contentious
> devices to special groups (floppy, audio, ...) and add the people who want
> use those devices to those groups.

One problem I've experienced with this approach is that a group member
cannot
timestamp a file with anything but the current date; only the owner can do
that.
So commands like 'touch' and 'cp -p' don't always work the way you'd expect.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Locking pages in memory
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:42:02 GMT

A uestion for Linux gurus:
How can I lock pages of memory, belonging to a user's virtual address,
in memory for DMA ?
I have a compression chip which will DMA compressed data directly into a
user's allocated buffer. I create a scatter-gather list of physical
addresses and number of bytes for the user's buffer (which is created by
malloc()). Now, I need to lock these physical pages in memory so that
the chip can DMA into them . Also, I have noticed that, when creating
the scatter-gather list, one or more pages might not be in memory
because the application has not accessed the buffer (simply malloc'ed
them). In this case, the pte_present() returns false for that physical
page. If the application accesses the buffer, the pages are all pulled
into the memory.
So it seems that I need to lock these pages in memory even before
creating the scatter-gather list.

SGI's IRIX and Sun Solaris both have routines to lock the pages in and
unlock them once a DMA operation is done. How can I do this in  Linux ?

I am sure some of you had the same problem for DMA ..any suggestions ?
Many thanks in advance,
- Ben

From: Steve D. Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mapping <Tab> key in vi or vim
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:43:37 GMT

I'm trying to find a line I can add to .exrc or .vimrc (for vi on HP-UX
at work and vim on Linux at home) that will map the <Tab> key to insert
three spaces instead of a tab character... this being a requirement of
the coding standards for the project I'm currently working on.  I've
been using vi for years, but have never really found the need to map
characters or tinker too much with .exrc or .vimrc (other than turning
line-numbering on by default)... can anyone give me a hand with the
line that needs to be added for this mapping?