Linux-Misc Digest #330, Volume #19                Sat, 6 Mar 99 08:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: best offline newsreader? ("Richard Latimer")
  Re: [Printer] HP697C and Ghostscript--Wet printing ("Michael Lee Yohe")
  Re: Simple text processor ("Joe (theWordy) Philbrook")
  Re: special characters in UNIX how? ("Joe (theWordy) Philbrook")
  Re: Caldera RPMs in RH? (Micha³ Kuratczyk)
  UNIX/Linux book request for SysAdms ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Installing software with rpm (Howard Mann)
  Re: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info (dream)
  Labels crashing WP8 for Linux (Rod Smith)
  compiling karpski (ethernet protocol analyzer) (Andreas Petralia)
  Re: Linux VERY slow to boot (Steffen Kluge)
  Burning SUSE CD in Win95 (David Heath)
  Re: More bad news for NT ("jeremy.jancsary")
  Purp compile error (Len Cuff)
  Re: Public license question (NF Stevens)
  Re: Public license question (NF Stevens)
  Re: Module configuration (NF Stevens)
  Re: Newsreaders and Star Office (John Thompson)
  Re: Public license question (Barry Margolin)
  Re: How to change date for Unix/Linux? (root)

From: "Richard Latimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 03:26:21 -0800

Richard Steiner wrote in message ...

>Most of the Windows users I know who use Usenet's technical
>newsgroups tend to use text when posting.  Is that not the same
>for you?

When I was reading messages in a Microsoft newsgroup about
Office 2000 beta, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the messages were html
with stationary and pics in the signatures.

One day I was moving thru a thread about broken sound support
in MS Outlook when a voice came out of my computer, "What's
the problem!"  I like it.

Users may be doing more than reading technical newsgroups.
They may be downloading and listening to their friend's new
piece of music, or they may be telecommuting and working on
a corporate compound document in Outlook. You can manage
all of these feats inside Outlook or with Outlook Express.

There are several ways to cause people to upgrade. One is to
stop supporting something, say take support for a.out binaries
out of the kernel. Another way is to use features that would re-
quire users to upgrade or be left out, such as html in messages.

Computing gets gooey-er everyday and there isn't much anyone
can do to stop it. It's too much fun.

(Or do you mean that I posted html here?)

>I believe that it's better to use inexpensive, stable, flexible, and
>OPEN technology on my desktop than to use expensive,
>nondeterministic, inflexible fluff like Microsoft markets to the
>public.

The two systems are complementary headaches.

Windows is easy to install and configure. It supports virtually all
PC hardware you can buy. It has a fabulous, rich array of desktop
application software available.

It is also anal in that you must do everything MS's way. It crashes
during normal use. You have very little control over the configuration
of "help" features and the excess baggage that is loaded on a
stock PC is nearly impossible to discard.

Linux does not crash. It is inexpensive as you say. It is apparently
great server software. And that's it.

The desktop application software is very sad. Configuration is a
nightmare. Most packages supporting the kernel look as if they
began as homebrew projects that stopped when they became
stable. They provide a good deal of flexibility if you are maintain-
ing a network, but for a stand alone desktop they are Byzantine.

On my little laptop I have programs that use scripts that use scripts
that are really links, which use more links, etc., until they get to
a file that says "exec gnome-session". Most of this is unnecessary
and too confusing. It requires too much time and effort to figure out.

Linux has done well in the server niche. Whether it moves on to
become a presence on the desktop depends on two things. One
is the problem of setup and configuration. The other is application
software.

Solving these problems depends on the Linux community. If they
continue to do things as unix has done for twenty years, then Linux
will fail on the desktop. It isn't practical to expect newbies to solve
these problems themselves. They require make easier installation
and capable gooey gooey gooey software.

>You can choose differently if you wish.  That's fine.  But coming in
>here and wasting our time by tossing out insults isn't all that cool,
>and certainly isn't going to win you much support.  Please go
>away.

It should be the other way around, shouldn't it? If you don't like my
posts, don't read them. My diction is sharp, but not nearly as
insulting as things I commonly see posted to newbies asking for
help. If I don't raise a ruckus, who will? Most of the newbies are
too intimidated to sqeak.

Newbies need help and a much better experience with Linux. If
they stay long enough, they may solve some of these problems
themselves, but it would seem more reasonable to badger
experienced users into doing something about the problems
themselves.

The first and most important thing to do is to undermine confidence
in things as they are. Unix culture is too outmoded and outdated to take
seriously.

>IMSNShO non-textual material has no business whatsoever being >posted on
Usenet.  Period.

Binaries of various sorts are posted to specific news groups. They
can be ingnored, but they help to clog the net just as the web and
multimedia EMail does. You will have to adjust to this reality. There
is nothing you can do about it, you might as well join in and have
some fun.

>It depends on his needs.  Suggestions that he use a glorified
>image viewer with weak or nonexistant scoring capabilities is
>pretty sad as well, at least in my eyes.  Usenet is information, not
>multimedia.

Users will use usenet for whatever purpose fills their needs. The
original poster was looking for a newsreader that matched the
capabilities he was used to using under Windows. It does not
exist under Linux. Very little of the Windows fun stuff exists under
Linux. He should not be made to feel small because he wants
something other than a console app in a graphical multimedia
age.

This isn't insulting; it's just the truth. If you are happy where you
are, stay there. However, don't expect users who have had a
much richer experience with Windows to take current unix culture
seriously.

richard

------------------------------

From: "Michael Lee Yohe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Printer] HP697C and Ghostscript--Wet printing
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 00:13:58 -0600
Crossposted-To: comp.graphics.apps.ghostscript

>ink usage?  Or is this more a paper problem (I'm using plain copier
>paper).

Copier paper is horrible for ink jet usage.  Copier paper tends to be my
rugged (fibers are not uniform).  Ink jet paper tends to be smoother, with
the fibers neatly creating a surface suitable for holding (not soaking) ink.
Try switching papers.  Ink jet paper tends to only cost about a buck more
per half ream and the quality you get is well worth it.

* Michael Lee Yohe                                   Office:      TH N318 *
* UAH ASPIRE System Administrator                    Office: 256-890-6904 *
* UAH CS Assistant Administrator                       Home: 256-828-2667 *
* Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Web: http://www.aspire.cs.uah.edu/mlyohe *

PGP public key can be found at http://www.aspire.cs.uah.edu/mlyohe/key.txt

------------------------------

From: "Joe (theWordy) Philbrook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Simple text processor
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:27:38 +0000

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Matthias Warkus wrote:

> Yes. Do you really want to hear the story of how I came to use
> schnibble instead of snip?

Sounds like an interesting read to me... But perhaps it would be better to
put it in an E-mail reply, rather than risk the ire of all your fellow
experts who probably already know "once upon a [scnibble] by heart by
now... <<snicker>>

> Wait a minute. Look at this. It will give you an idea of how LaTeX
> works. Please try it, so you'll get an understanding of it.
>
> ===START foo.tex===
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}

<snip>

> ===END foo.tex===
>
> Paste this into a plain-text file. Run it through LaTeX like this:
>
> latex foo.tex
>
> It will generate some cruft (foo.aux, foo.log, foo.toc). The main
> output file is foo.dvi. Preview it under X with:
>
> xdvi foo.dvi

Oh Oh... Ahem... Is there perchance any such thing as a full screen console
NON-X previewer available???

If    [ " I have to either reinstall a  point and
          click enviroment or waste the paper on
          the printer I need to buy when I get
          some more cash just to see what the finished
          product will look like... " = $true ]
Then
    echo "It's gonna be a long time before I play with LaTeX... <sigh> "
else
  while [ "notquite understanding" = $true ]
    do
      man ${console-dvi-viewer-name}
    done
  latex foo.txt
  ${console-dvi-viewer-name} foo.dvi
  echo " consider making latex my next long learning curve..."
fi

        <snicker>

------------------------------

From: "Joe (theWordy) Philbrook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: special characters in UNIX how?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:29:10 +0000

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Bev wrote:

=20
> And here's a REALLY crude, quick and dirty way that sometimes works -- cu=
> and paste from the following list:
>=20
>=20
> =A1 =A2 =A3 =A4 =A5 =A6 =A7 =A8 =A9 =AA =AB =AC =AD =AE =AF =B0 =B1 =B2 =
=B3 =B4 =B5 =B6 =B7 =B8 =B9 =BA =BB =BC =BD =BE =BF
>=20
> =C0 =C1 =C2 =C3 =C4 =C5 =C6 =C7 =C8 =C9 =CA =CB =CC =CD =CE =CF =D0 =D1 =
=D2 =D3 =D4 =D5 =D6 =D7 =D8 =D9 =DA =DB =DC =DD =DE =DF
>=20
> =E0 =E1 =E2 =E3 =E4 =E5 =E6 =E7 =E8 =E9 =EA =EB =EC =ED =EE =EF =F0 =F1 =
=F2 =F3 =F4 =F5 =F6 =F7 =F8 =F9 =FA =FB =FC =FD =FE =FF
>=20
> Better than nothing :-)

Hey now that's sneaky...

By the way, now that I have the above in a file $sig/charpaste

I'd like to add just one more special char...

=A8How does one get the copyright character? =AE you know it's not  really =
(c) =AF

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Micha³ Kuratczyk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Caldera RPMs in RH?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 05:52:48 GMT

Aaron Dershem wrote:
>Can I install Caldera RPMs in Red Hat 5.2?  I want to add netatalk, but RH
>doesn't supply a package.  Caldera does, but I'm not sure if it will work
>correctly.
It should works. If it won't works you can sloted this package into RH and
put it on RH incoming FTP. :)

--
Micha³ Kuratczyk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: UNIX/Linux book request for SysAdms
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 05:36:53 GMT

What do you recommend that I purchase as an authorative, concise book about
UNIX/Linux System Administration books?  I have seen a lot, but does anyone
out there who is a UNIX SysAdm have a book that they would recommend?

From: Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing software with rpm
Date: 5 Mar 1999 06:42:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard W. Edwards) writes:
> Want to install to a different directory instead of the default, how
> can I do this?

Hi,

rpm --help | less   yields :

 --prefix <dir>       - relocate the package to <dir>, if relocatable

Howard Mann
http://www.xmission.com/~howardm
(a LINUX website for newbies)
Smart Linuxers search at: http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml

------------------------------

From: dream <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 07:28:15 +0200

Daniel Kollar wrote:

> I get this error when using imlib applications.
> I.e. gqmpeg, windowmaker:setstyle, ...?
>
> Current configuration:
> imlib-1.9.4
> gtk+-1.2.0
> glib-1.2.0
> gcc-2.7.2.3
>
> What's wrong?
>
> --
> Daniel Kollar   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Homepage        http://www.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de/~kollar
> Student at      University of Technology, Darmstadt
> Studying        electrical engineering, solid state electronics
I had the same problem until I upgraded glibc. The last available is 2.1
(but beta).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Labels crashing WP8 for Linux
Date: 5 Mar 1999 18:40:29 GMT

I'm having a problem with the labels function of WordPerfect 8 for Linux.
This is the feature that you get by selecting Format->Labels from the main
menu.  When I try this, I get the list of labels, and I can select one,
but when I click on OK, WordPerfect crashes.  I get no warning, no core
dump, just a crashed program.  If I then re-start WordPerfect, I get the
"Timed Backup" dialog, and if I click the "File Manager" button and select
the listed file, I get the envelopes template and can use it.  That's
rather a flaky way to load a template, though.  So:

1) Has anybody else seen this bug?
2) Does anybody else NOT get this bug?
3) Does anybody have a suggested workaround or fix for this bug?

FWIW, this happens with both the downloadable and retail versions of WP8
for Linux, on a system with Red Hat 5.2 using kernel 2.2.1.  I'm running
XFree86 3.3.2.3-25 (from a Red Hat RPM), using a Matrox Millennium via the
XF86_SVGA server.  The problem does *NOT* occur if I use WP 7 for Linux;
it's specific to WP 8.

I'd appreciate any insights anybody has on this.  Thanks.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Andreas Petralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: compiling karpski (ethernet protocol analyzer)
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 13:07:33 +0100

hello

i'm trying to compile a TCP/IP sniffer program called karpski
(http://mojo.calyx.net/~btx/karpski.html)on my machine (Suse 5.0,
2.0.35, libc5 ?)

but i get the folling error:

checking for pcap_dump in -lpcap... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... no
configure: error: Test for libpthread failed.

i had a search on my harddisk, and found the following directories:

/usr/lib/
  libpthreads.so
  libpthreads.so.1
  libpthreads.so.1.60.4

/usr/include/pthread/mit/
  pthread.h
  pthread_attr.h

can someone help me with this? any help is appreciated.

thanx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux VERY slow to boot
Date: 6 Mar 1999 23:13:54 +1100

In article <7bm5fh$hc1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Craig Shields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can I enter both of my IP's so that I don't have to change it manually each
>time?

I think you can. But this may give you other problems. While you
are connected to network A you won't be able to reach hosts on
network B because your PC thinks it's directly connected to both
networks and won't bother using the default gateway.

>One other option I have is to get my NIC ethernet address registered on our
>DHCP server.  Would this be the easiest way?

That's definitely the easiest, most hassle-free and proper
solution, provided you have a DHCP server on both networks.
Unless the DHCP servers operate with fixed leases only
(uncommon) you don't have to register your MAC address.

Hope this helps
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: David Heath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Burning SUSE CD in Win95
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 07:21:29 -0500

I was able to download SUSE 6.0, but I need to use Adaptec CD-Creator
Deluxe in Win95 to burn the CD.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?

David Heath

------------------------------

From: "jeremy.jancsary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 13:44:36 +0100

Massimo Signoretta wrote:

> David Hawthorne wrote:
>
> > Now this sort of attitude is exactly what pisses me off about Linux
> > newsgroups - 'Microsoft is worthless crap full stop'. Well, no, actually,
> > it's not. It has brought computing to the masses by providing an operating
> > system which does not require deep understanding on the part of the user.
> > Your attitude appears to be that it's necessary to understand nuclear
> > processing before you can switch on the electric light powered by the
> > reactor down the road - sorry, you are simply WRONG on this one.
> > And before the flaming starts (and I hope that the Linux community - I'd
> > like to think I'm one of them - is more polite and tolerant than to flame
> > prople for opinions contrary to their own), I carry no torch for Microsoft,
> > which I believe to be a typical business protecting its own interests in the
> > way that many businesses do. This is not to my liking, but that doesn't mean
> > that I can't appreciate what they've done for me in allowing me to get some
> > knowledge of PC computing usage - that, after all, is most likely the way
> > that most of us first got into computing and therefore Linux. How many of us
> > started with Linux as our first OS?
> > Oh, dear, was that a flame? I don't intend it to be. It's simply an
> > expression of a contrary opinion.
> > David.
> >

> I agree. Dispite "This program has preformed an illegal op...." MS & Windows has
> brought something I that Linux does not have. EASE OF USE.  A short time ago, I
> was bulilding computers as a sideline. I built several for a lawer friend.
> Although she knows nothing of dos prompts, partitinons and operating systems,
> she kicked my ass at Wordperfect 5.1. My point is that there are 2 types of
> computer experts, those that deal with the nuts and bolts of the computer, and
> those that USE the computer. Unfortunately, the later group is by far the
> largest. Win XX was written for this group not the former.
> I have RH 5.2, have installed it, and all the RMP that came with it. Now all I
> have to do is Figure out how to call them up. Whole new learning curve, and I
> understand computers. Until Linux becomes as simple to use as Win XX, and I
> repeat, USE, any superiority the operating system holds will go for naught.
> Understand I dislike, nay, abhor MS, but its far easier to use than Linux, and
> its ease of use, and marketing tactics, that make or break a system.
>
> MAS

I'm a Linux newbie. I installed SuSE Linux 6.0 about 4 days ago on my
pc.

I think I've got a good knowledge of computers, and in my opinion Linux
is far easier than Windows. I didn't have any problems during and after
the installation of Linux. It took me some time to find out how to
re-compile the kernel to install my soundcard, but it took me more time
to install my hardware using Windows.

Linux is much more stable, logical and a helluva lot faster than
Windows.

It's not true that Linux is complicated - not anymore. I can recommend
the SuSE Linux Distribution. It's far simpler than Red Hat.

Compared to Linux, Windows is just a bad joke.

Regards,

Jeremy Jancsary

17-year-old high school student

------------------------------

From: Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Purp compile error
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 19:53:58 +0000

I've downloaded the source for Purp and tried to compile. All goes well
and then I get the following error :-

-lbsd: No such file or directory.

Anyone point me in the right direction ?

I'm running SuSE 6.0
Cheers,
        Len

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:11:42 GMT

Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

>RMS's theory is that copyright law hasn't quite caught up to the state of
>the art.  Dynamic linking is effectively equivalent to static linking, and
>it makes no sense to him that the law was intended to allow one when the
>other is prohibited.

No. Dynamic and static linking are very different. With dynamic linking
it is possible to link against a different library. Such a library may not
exist yet, but it would always be possible to write one. With static
linking you do not have that option.

[snip]

>RMS's theory is that distributing the GPLed work and the non-GPLed work
>along with the instructions for how to link them is functionally equivalent
>to distributing a pre-linked binary (which would be a derivative work).
>Although this is technically "mere aggregation", it's clear that the intent
>is to achieve the result that the GPL is meant to prohibit.

The fact that a proprietory work needs a library with the functionality
of a particular GPL'd library in order to work properly does not make
it a derived work of that library.

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:11:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephan Schulz) wrote:

>In article <7bnegc$ioh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In <LuED2.169$Ey6.9013@burlma1-snr2> Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>>RMS's theory is that copyright law hasn't quite caught up to the state of
>>>the art.  Dynamic linking is effectively equivalent to static linking, and
>>>it makes no sense to him that the law was intended to allow one when the
>>>other is prohibited.
>>
>>But it is vastly different. In the one case the distrubutor copies the
>>work and distributes the copy and in teh other the distributor does not.
>>
>>Copyright law covers copying. It does not cover using, it does not cover
>>ownership, it covers copying. No copying no copyright issues. If the
>>user has a copy of the something which he has legitimately, then he can
>>use it as he pleases.
>
>Well, technically yes. However, people in the legal business are of a
>completly different type of anal-retentiveness than most computer
>people. Both are used to adhere to pretty arbitray rules, but for
>different reasons. If the end result of a sequence of actions is
>obviously and by intend the same as the end result of another sequence
>of actions, both are likely to be treated similar in law.
>
>Or, to be obvious, if I take the novel "Snow Crash" and distribute it
>as a list of individual words in alphabetic order (non-copyrightable)
>and offer a web-page which gives me a list of numbers that say which
>word goes were, I _am_ violating copyright, even though the user is
>the one that puts the novel together again.

This differs from the dynamic vs static linking distinction because the
list of word numbers has no other use apart from recreating the
copyrighted novel. With dynamic linking one possible result is the
same as static linking (i.e. a memory image composed of the
amalgamation of the two works); however it is also possible to
link the work against a different (non GPL) library which provides
the same functionality. The users may decide not to write their own
version of the library, but they always have that choice. I do not
see how a work which can be run independently of the GPL work
can be considered to be a derived work of that GPL work.

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Module configuration
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:11:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn) wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 01:58:31 +0100, Anatol Quabach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>Tommy Willoughby wrote:
>>> I'm running RedHat 5.2 and re-compiled the stock 2.0.36 kernel and
>>> modules.
>>>
>>> All went ok (the boot process whizzes now!) but it's looking for sound
>>> and midi which are now compiled-in.
>>>
>>> I see that /etc/conf.modules contains the config instructions for these
>>> and my guess is that it's this file which is causing the failed search
>>> at boot. Is there some step I missed which would re-generate this file
>>> for my new setup, or should I edit it by hand?
>>
>>/etc/modules ?
>>
>I don't know about Redhat but on on Slackware, I generate a new
>/etc/modules.conf file with the following command:
>
>modprobe -c > /etc/modules.conf
>
>or
>
>modprobe -c > /etc/conf.modules
>
>whichever you prefer.

But doesn't "modprobe -c" just read the existing /etc/conf.modules file
and output the entries that it finds?

Norman

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newsreaders and Star Office
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 12:03:21 -0600

D Brown wrote:

> I'm new to Linux, but have got everything working (and am very
> pleased with the speed) as I want except for news readers. Three
> questions:
>
> 1 When I try to set up the news reader in Star Office I get an error
> message "Connection Failed" when I click on the subscribe tab in the
> news properties. So, I can't get the list of newsgroups. I can't see
> anything in the options for news, mail or internet that may be causing
> this problem. Mail and other news readers are working.

I've found the Star Office news reader to be very touchy.  I
often have to close and restart Star Office several times
before it will work.

> 2 Is there an off-line newsreader for linux ?

There's slrn.  And you could always run a news server like
leafnode or inn and connect any newsreader you want to it
through the loopback interface.

> 3 Does anyone know if Virtual Access runs under wine ? If so is it
> 32bit or 16bit version.

Sorry, never heard of it...  What's it do?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:30:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
NF Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>No. Dynamic and static linking are very different. With dynamic linking
>it is possible to link against a different library. Such a library may not
>exist yet, but it would always be possible to write one. With static
>linking you do not have that option.

I responded to this in another branch of the thread, so I'm not going to
bother responding again.  Let's agree not to post redundant messages, OK?

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: How to change date for Unix/Linux?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 13:47:54 +0100

Hi,

use the date command. see the manpage of date