From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Subject: Re: Is this hard drive dead?
Date: 17 Nov 2000 15:41:46 GMT

In article <8v1in7$7ji$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 16 Nov 2000 13:25:49 GMT, LuisMiguel
>Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>I have an old 486 I use for my play
>>>computer. Tonight when I went to boot it
>>>up, it claims there's no hard drive
>>>installed. (there is)
>
>>Go to the BIOS and make an autodetection.
>
>Thanks for the idea --
>I went in to the BIOS and set it to use the
>autoconfiguration with power-on defaults;
>
>later set it to use the autoconfiguration
>with bios defaults;
>
>both resulted in the same DRIVE NOT READY
>ERROR (it asks for the floppy again).
>
>then having little to lose I entered the
>BIOS hard disk utility and had it do a
>media analysis and later a hard drive format
>(there was no data on there except a little
>bit of DOS). During the format, it ran
>through all the cylinder numbers pretending
>to format something, but there were no
>sounds from the hard drive. I can only
>conclude it's not communicating with the
>hard drive at all, but how the hd managed to
>fail without any warning (it worked fine
>before, no weird behavior) I don't understand.
>
>I also tried entering the hd parameters
>into the BIOS manually, but that doesn't
>change anything.
>
>thanks for the suggestion, anybody else is
>welcome to put in their two cents as well.

Go to the manufacturer's website.  They almost certainly
have a diagnostic routine that you can run, once you
boot DOS from a floppy.  If it's still under warrantee
(probably not if it was original with the 486) they
might even give you a new drive if it fails their
diagnostics.

Good luck!

        -frank

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux freezes totally
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:10:43 +0100

Sandy Drobic wrote on 17 Nov 2000 13:26:00 +0100:

> I had a similar problem with a Realtek 8029 netboard.  Sometimes the
> computer just froze completely, not only under Linux, but also under
> Novell and Windows.
> The solution was to put the Realtek in another PCI slot, so it got
> another IRQ.  You can also check, if your Bios can assign IRQs to your
> PCI slots and set the correct IRQ.

 I have a Realtek RTL-8139 which I use for eth0.

It is strange that I have an entry in /etc/module.conf saying:

        alias eth0 8139too
        alias eth1 rtl8139

But I don't use eth1 at all. This is what Mandrake was configurating. Could
this be the problem?

Do I just need to delete the eth1 entry and set eth0 to rtl8139?

Thanks for your opinion!
Claus.

------------------------------

From: Cindy Huyser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The case of the fizzling fonts
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:13:39 -0600

I suspect I'm having a memory problem with one of the machines here. I'm
running RedHat 6.2 on an older 166 MHz MMX machine with 128 MB RAM, and
my terminal fonts (not running X) are deteriorating.

Here's the story: on reboot, all characters check OK.  1 minute after
reboot, a few characters show signs of deterioration -- an extra pixel
in the character space, or one missing.  After several minutes, I logged
28 characters that have either been reduced to 1 to 4 pixels, or that
have become almost entirely filled character blocks.  The deterioration
appears to happen to contiguous characters, yes, in blocks that are
multiples of four, and appears to have stabilized within the first 10
minutes after reboot.

Has anyone out there seen this kind of thing before?  Can someone lend
some insight on font cacheing?  As I said, this machine's an older one
and has some other hardware problems (floppy disk controller on
motherboard is bad), so I don't have great expectations for it.  But
before I think of ordering replacement memory, if someone knows of
another possible cause for this problem I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance,
Cindy Huyser

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: The case of the fizzling fonts
Date: 17 Nov 2000 16:29:13 GMT

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:13:39 -0600, Cindy Huyser wrote:
 >I suspect I'm having a memory problem with one of the machines here. I'm
 >running RedHat 6.2 on an older 166 MHz MMX machine with 128 MB RAM, and
 >my terminal fonts (not running X) are deteriorating.
 >
 >Here's the story: on reboot, all characters check OK.  1 minute after
 >reboot, a few characters show signs of deterioration -- an extra pixel
 >in the character space, or one missing.  After several minutes, I logged
 >28 characters that have either been reduced to 1 to 4 pixels, or that
 >have become almost entirely filled character blocks.  The deterioration
 >appears to happen to contiguous characters, yes, in blocks that are
 >multiples of four, and appears to have stabilized within the first 10
 >minutes after reboot.
 >
 >Has anyone out there seen this kind of thing before?  Can someone lend
 >some insight on font cacheing?  As I said, this machine's an older one
 >and has some other hardware problems (floppy disk controller on
 >motherboard is bad), so I don't have great expectations for it.  But
 >before I think of ordering replacement memory, if someone knows of
 >another possible cause for this problem I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I'd suspect the video card.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:23:27 -0600

Cindy Huyser wrote:

> I suspect I'm having a memory problem with one of the machines here. I'm
> running RedHat 6.2 on an older 166 MHz MMX machine with 128 MB RAM, and
> my terminal fonts (not running X) are deteriorating.
>
> Here's the story: on reboot, all characters check OK.  1 minute after
> reboot, a few characters show signs of deterioration -- an extra pixel
> in the character space, or one missing.  After several minutes, I logged
> 28 characters that have either been reduced to 1 to 4 pixels, or that
> have become almost entirely filled character blocks.  The deterioration
> appears to happen to contiguous characters, yes, in blocks that are
> multiples of four, and appears to have stabilized within the first 10
> minutes after reboot.
>
> Has anyone out there seen this kind of thing before?  Can someone lend
> some insight on font cacheing?  As I said, this machine's an older one
> and has some other hardware problems (floppy disk controller on
> motherboard is bad), so I don't have great expectations for it.  But
> before I think of ordering replacement memory, if someone knows of
> another possible cause for this problem I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I have seen this problem.  I bet you have a video card with the S3 Virge
chipset.  The weird thing is that this porblem would happen on X as well
as MS Windows 9x.  My brother had an identical card and he had the same
problem.  Do a deja search, I think you will see that other people have
font problems wiht the Virge card.  I was amazed to find out that it was
a hardware problem and not a driver problem.

Cheers,
Chris

------------------------------

From: Radu Serban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How migrating Win-Favorites to Netscape-Bookmarks?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:19:08 -0800

Dragan Colak wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> how can I migrate the Favorites of my previous
> Win-Install to Bookmarks in my newly installed
> Linux?
> Is there a tool or a script, or do I have to do
> it the hard way?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dragan

I heard that IE can export bookmarks in Netscape's format.
I don't know more details, as I've never used IE :-)

--Radu

------------------------------

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:39:24 +0100

muzh wrote on Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:58:46 +1300:

> More info, please --
> This is usually a hardware problem.
> Motherboard, processor, disks, memory, peripherals, video -- etc

I didn't change the hardware, and Mandrake 7.1 was running well. I made a
clean install of Mandrake 7.2.

As I wrote in another message, I have a Realtek RTL-8139 PCI card which I
use for eth0.

In Mandrake 7.1 I used the module rtl8139, but Mandrake 7.2 wrote in
/etc/module.conf the entry:

        alias eth0 8139too
        alias eth1 rtl8139

Could this be the reason for my freezes? What do you think? (I don't use
eth1 at all.)

Now I changed it to

        alias eth0 rtl8139

like I had it in Mandrake 7.1.

------------------------------

From: Evelio =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mart=EDnez?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: allow,deny permissions and apache
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:40:15 +0100

Hi!

I have configured a directory with htaccess to ask for user/password and
it works. I have a problem when I want to
validate both IP host and user/password.
Below you can find what I have in httpd.conf when I get the 403 error
Forbidden You don't have permission to access /recursos on this server.
I have made several tests, only with IP without netmask, only with the
hostname, etc.

Any idea of how to solve it?
What did I do wrong?

Alias /recursos  "/home/httpd/recursos"

<Directory "/home/httpd/recursos">
    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    AuthName "Dir. RESTRINGIDO"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile  /etc/httpd/conf/.htaccess
#   AuthGroupFile /etc/httpd/conf/htgroup
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from x.y.w.z/255.255.255.192
    require valid-user
    Satisfy all
</Directory>

where  x.y.w.z    is my subnet

Thanks in advance

Evelio Martínez

------------------------------

From: Peter Buzanits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with Linux DHCP-Server
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:49:43 +0100

I have a dhcp server running under SuSE Linux 6.3

A user has worked with his Win98 notebook without problems. Now he took it to a
business partner and connected to his dhcp server (of course with an IP out of
my range 10.0.2.0 to 10.0.2.255). Now he came back and the notebook tries to
obtain the false IP number via DHCP.

from /var/log/messages:

dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.0.3.2 from 00:d0:59:08:92:ee via eth0

Now the normal process would be a DHCPNAK sent from the server to the client.
But this does not happen. After 5 seconds, the client sends another DHCPREQUEST
for 10.0.3.2 but the server says nothing. At least nothing is found in the
logfile...

Some weeks ago the server sent several DHCPNAKs to other clients trying a
strange IP number (but don't know if it were Win98 clients...).

Why does the dhcpd fail to send a DHCPNAK? Are there any bugs known? How to fix
that?

DI Peter Buzanits
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://peter.buzanits.at
AOL-Messenger: Buzanits   mobile: +43 6991 9459271
ICQ: 34378300        Keys available on PGP-Servers

From: "Sylvain Drapeau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring printer from text UI - RH6.1
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:52:51 -0500

Thanks for responding...

lsmod tells me parport-probe, parport and lp are loaded, but still can't do
a thing with this printer (IBM QW2) using lp0 or lp1.

What kind of other details do you need?

Sylvain Drapeau
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Cindy Huyser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:12:03 -0600

Thanks, Chris.  It doesn't look like I have the S3 Virge chipset -- I've got
a Matrox Mystique 220 running the MGA1064SG as its graphics engine -- but I'm
looking into it further and will see what Deja's got on my card.

Regards,
Cindy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Subject: Lilo Li... problem.
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:18:47 GMT

I've got a system with a SCSI hard drive. I just added a second drive
this time IDE.
After tweeking my NT install, I reboot to discover I get a kernel
panic. OK no problem, I added the hard rive to get more space for
linux so instead of fixing the problenm and then shuffling files
between partitions I just reinstall linux ( Mandrake 7.1) from
scratch.

When I boot I see Li appear on the bottom then nothing.
OK, I use System Commander which was overwritten by Linux.
I reinstall System Commander. Use an emergency boot disk to boot
into linux. Change the boot to /dev/sda9 in lilo.conf reinstall.
When I boot, it prints LI then freeses ( PS hard drive 9 gigs,
last 2 gigs are an NT partition, so that I'm within 8g).
The only clue I get is that lilo prints a warning that /dev/sda9
is not on the first disk.

Any ideas?
================Lilo file====================================
boot=/dev/sda9
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
message=/boot/message
prompt
image=/boot/vmlinuz-smp
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sda11
        initrd=/boot/initrd-smp.img
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux-up
        root=/dev/sda11
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/sda11
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI Model CT4810?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:39:40 GMT

John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Has anyone gotten the new Creative Labs Ensoniq AudioPCI Model CT4810
: sound card to work with Linux.  The older card was ES1370 or ES1371.
: This one isn't.

Mine works fine using the es1371 module. Just run 'sndconfig'. Since it
is a plug'n'pray card you may need to fool with isapnptools by hand
if sndconfig doesn't do the trick.

Fred

: John

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ?start and stop logrotate
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:30:20 GMT

In article <8v3gs3$ier$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  smilemonkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To start a logrotate, which files should I modify?  Is there any
> difference between the /etc/logrotate.conf and thoses file under
>  /etc/logrotate.d?  Do I need to create any directores?

Look under '/etc/cron.*' where * has the conventional meaning,
e.g. cron.daily.

>  And, how to stop a logrotate?  Do I need to remove any thing?

What is meant by stop?  You can alway remove the binary, that
would stop it.  What are you trying to do?  On my system logrotate
is run under cron which is controlled by entries under '/etc/cron.*'.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Robert Clayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need some suggestions...
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:21:39 -0500

You run the risk of starting a war here.

Visit the web sites of these distributors.  See what they offer.  See
what they don't offer.

For fun, personal use, I like RedHat and Mandrake.  Lots of software
included.  Don't go for the bleeding edge distro, though.  Get something
from a couple of versions back, avoid the inevitable bugs.

If you think you will have *no* need for support *whatsoever* , then by
all means get it for free.  But if you would like limited support,
manuals, and additional software on CD, buy a distro.

I like linux because it is stable, highly configurable, better looking
(that is of course an opinion), and gives you a chance to peek inside
your computer and see what it's doing.

Just my $0.02, others are free to disagree.

Robert

--
Robert Clayton - System Administrator - ACTiX
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to

------------------------------

From: Gero Marten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Weird problem.
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:24:59 +0100

> Valentine Kouznetsov wrote:
>
>    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>            Encoding: 7bit

I can't see a *weird problem*, because you didn't post in plain ascii.
And by the way, nothing is weird under Linux. Everything is working
just like you set it up.

--
Gero H. Marten

"Computers are like air conditioners: They stop working properly if
you open
windows."

------------------------------

From: Gero Marten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xmms playing CDs?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:21:53 +0100

> probably /dev/cdrom will

/dev/cdrom as a directory or *mountpoint*? Hardly. /dev/cdrom usually
is a link to /dev/hdc or where ever your cdrom is.

Anyway, thanks for the try.

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: errors in /var/log/messages
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:54:04 +0100

I was watching my /var/log/messages after startup. I recognized that there
are some problems. This is the part of it:

kdm[1212]: can't execute "/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup" (err 2)
PAM_unix[1209]: (system-auth) session opened for user one by (uid=0)
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module binfmt-0000
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module binfmt-0000
PAM_unix[1199]: (system-auth) session opened for user two by (uid=0)
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module binfmt-0000
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module binfmt-0000
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-10

What is wrong with Xsetup (error 2)?
Do I have anything to add at /etc/modules.conf?

Any ideas? Thanks for any hint!
Claus.