From: TS Stahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: DUMP errors
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 09:14:34 -0500

I have to admit that I am at a loss for your specific issue.  However, there
is a clue in the erase operation you did.  I would suggest you look for a
lock file of some sort, or a conf file with a parm toggled.  If you have
been down this road, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Happy computing.

--
Scott Stahl
MIS Asst.

------------------------------

From: Citnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: w and who, how do I re-install
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 09:57:50 -0700

jason wrote:

> David Daschofsky wrote:
> >
> > my webserver was hacked a while back and no longer displays any info when
> > you type who, or w, why is that and how do I fix it?
>
> One word:  "reinstall"
>
> If you have been cracked, then this is the *only way* to know that there
> aren't any backdoors left hanging around on your system.
>
> -jason
>
> (to reply via email, make the appropriate substitution in my email address)

   But doesn't Linux already posses a lot of back doors already? (Err, not back
doors but security leaks) Even with re-installing, the same 'leak' or
breach-in-security that allowed the one hacker to break into the system in the
first place, could be exploited again.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: Linux: 750 million users by 2004?
Date: 24 May 1999 13:27:29 GMT

On Mon, 24 May 1999 04:56:02 GMT,
Gilles Pelletier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Linux: 750 million users by 2004?

My my, I bet this will be another of those threads that just won't die.

>In a Q&A, Linux evangelist Eric Raymond talks about unseating
>Microsoft as the OS of choice. (Businessweek)

Since the loss of Byte, I'm finding that Businessweek makes a good
substitute... :)

>Well, who am I to contradict such an "evangelist"? But I'd lay a bet:
>if there ever is 750 million Linux users in 5 years from now, 90% of
>them will still be booting Windows by default. Lilo's end isn't near.

Maybe it depends on where those 750 million users are, but I'd say if
there were that many, Windows wouldn't be a factor anymore.

Golly, I'd be surprised if there were that many anyway -- FreeBSD would
probably be up to (6 tripling cycles) the 100+ million mark if so... ;)

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Briggs)
Subject: Re: Adding fonts to Wordperfect 8
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:41:47 GMT

Mark Tranchant wrote:
:I don't think you get xwpfi with the downloadable version. You can get
:it as part of the downloadable WP7.0 with a bit of digging on the ftp
:servers.

Just to check, is that Corel's ftp server?  (I can find a big wp7 file
there, but I'd prefer not to download the whole shebang just for a small
utility inside it, if there's another server somewhere.)

Also, does anyone know if there's a non-GUI version that's downloadable
anywhere?

Ian

------------------------------

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: 24 May 1999 19:22:17 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Wilson) writes:

> Second, the statistic of non-defensive gun usages that is commonly
> cited includes instances of usage by people who aren't versed in gun
> safety.  Again, foolish usage of guns by uneducated users does not
> increase the likelihood of responsible use by educated users.

Well, the problem with U.S.A. wepaon law that the "gun control freaks"
bemoan is exactly that you don't need to have any education in order
to get a gun.  Other countries require a license which you only get if
you have demonstrated that you are versed in gun safety and handling.
Not so the U.S.A.  Gun control is not about prohibiting everybody to
acquire and use a gun.  Gun control is about making sure that minimum
requirements of sanity are enforced.

A gun lover in Germany will take the pains necessary to acquire a
proper license.  He will be allowed to purchase weapons.  These
weapons will be registered and their use can be traced back to their
owner.

But in the U.S., the right to bear arms is somehow thought of as to
have to be granted without making sure about the proper
responsibility.

> Thirdly, the statistic of non-defensive gun usage that's commonly
> employed by anti-gunners includes homicide instances in which family
> members are at war with each other.  Yet *again*, gun usage by
> family members involved in brutal feuds does *not* increase the
> likelihood of people shooting their family members if their home
> situation isn't already a violent environment.  Anti-gunners seem to
> conveniently discount here that motivations and intentions mean
> everything with respect to determining a person's action.

I don't think that "anti-gunners" are of the opinion that the guns are
committing crimes and should be punished.  But I don't see why it
should be deemed necessary to furbish people at variance with a
convenient means to kill one another.

> Hey, but who cares about accuracy?  The anti-gunners have an agenda
> to promote, which is disarming the populace so that people may be
> either subjected to or dependent upon the whims of the government.

So you would say that people should be in the position to shoot
officers, commit lynchings and do other things intended to offset a
possible disagreement with the way the government wields its forces?

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SCSI Question
Date: 24 May 1999 14:52:19 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <7i3c5a$nhh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong) writes:
>       Would there be any problem with Linux if I have two SCSI cards
> that use the same kind of chipset?  In this case, a ASYS SC-875 and ASUS
> SC-200, both use NCR/Symbios chipsets (875/810).  Will this be any
> problem having both in the same machine for Linux?

Just to add to the theoretical and other-chipset affirmatives, I'll say
that I've done this with the NCR/Symbios chipsets (53c825 and 53c860).
It worked fine.  The only tricky thing I encountered was that I was
unable to do anything to tell the system which board was the first and
which was the second (even swapping boards), though perhaps a different
motherboard would help on that score, or maybe some utility or more
recent kernel (I did this with 2.0.x kernels) would help.  This wasn't a
big problem for me; I just arranged my SCSI devices so that it didn't
matter (IIRC, I put all my hard drives on the 53c860 board, and other
devices on the 53c825 [I've since replaced many of my hard drives with a
single 10GB unit, obviating the need for two SCSI adapters in my system]).

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Pro-Unix vs anti-WinTel (was: Re: Is Unix a single user operating system?)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (r j huntington)
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:45:14 GMT

>emacs doesn't run on freebsd?  looks like i ain't gonna try it any
>time soon.  ;-)

Of course emacs runs on freebsd. There's a great port that installs
easily, or one could build whatever version they want.

Silly idea, something unixly not running on some unix.  ;-)

p.s. I love them all!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: IRC RFC ?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:36:00 GMT

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know if there
was an RFC filed for IRC, and if so what is it's number ?

And BTW does anyone know of a web-based search engine for RFC's
so that I could do this sort of search myself ?

Cheers.

Simon.

P.S If possible cc me on your reply.

From: David L. Bilbey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: car mp3 player
Date: 24 May 1999 15:06:14 GMT

[ Article reposted from mtu.computer.linux ]
[ Author was David L. Bilbey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
[ Posted on 24 May 1999 14:57:51 GMT ]

Alright, the only problem I have left is the power supply.  Someone
suggested building custom regulators.  I have no idea how to do that, nor
do I even know where to start.

I have been informed that www.maxim-ic.com sells DC-DC converters, and that
these are a very good solution for in-car computers/mp3 players.  So I went
to the site and looked at the DC-DC converters.

The problem is that it asks for all kinds of info such as: min. input
voltage, max input voltage, output voltage, output current required,
shutdown[yes/no], pins/package, multiple output[yes/no], and HR or 883B
qualification available[yes/no].

Huh?  I don't know what to put in for these values (they are multiple
choice though, which is kind of nice).  Can someone help me out?  I just
want a simple solution that will power the computer in the car, and not
waste a lot of power or money (i.e. an inverter)

Thanks,
bilbey

--
"The next time you go to the doctor, go ahead and bring in a stool sample.
They might need it.  Better go ahead and bring some for the dentist too."

--
"One of the bad things about panning for gold is maybe sometimes you'll
get a crawdaddy in your pan, and you start to wonder if you should give up

------------------------------

From: James Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Auto-update RPMs?
Date: 24 May 1999 11:28:45 -0500

Mark Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Is there a program/script that will go out and update my RPMs?  Please
: no comments about deb

I don't think you want to do that.... that are too many dependencies
which can break a lot of your programs. All the prackages are being
updated asynchronously, and not necessary with regard to others.

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:24:10 +0100

Ian Briggs wrote:

> Mark Tranchant wrote:
> :I don't think you get xwpfi with the downloadable version. You can get
> :it as part of the downloadable WP7.0 with a bit of digging on the ftp
> :servers.
>
> Just to check, is that Corel's ftp server?  (I can find a big wp7 file
> there, but I'd prefer not to download the whole shebang just for a small
> utility inside it, if there's another server somewhere.)

Yes, and yes, I did have to download all of it. There are a bunch of
other files that are a part of that demo that are required - copy each
one across as xwpfi dies not finding it.

Mark.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy J. Lee)
Subject: Good 10/100 Mb ethernet cards for Linux
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:25:20 GMT

What are good 10/100 Mb ethernet cards for Linux?

On kernel 2.0.36 with tulip.c 0.89H, I've tried the following:

Netgear FA310TX revision C*:  DEC 21140 chip, works fine, but
        no longer available.
Netgear FA310TX revision D1:  Lite-On PNIC 82C169C chip,
        identified as 82c168 by tulip driver, works sometimes,
        but often unreliable (works reliably with the very newest
        pn driver in FreeBSD).
CNet Pro110B:  ASIX AX88140, identified correctly by tulip driver,
        but does not work (works reliably with ax driver in FreeBSD).

Other chips recognized by the tulip driver are the Macronix PMACs.
Other common cards include the 3Com 3C905B and Intel EtherExpress
cards, though these are considerably more expensive.

Timothy J. Lee                                                   timlee@
Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Russell Tiedt)
Subject: Disk Partioning?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:16:03 GMT

I have just bought a six GIG HDD and am wondering how to best partion
it for use with Linux, FreeBSD, WINNT and OS2.

Regards,

Russell

------------------------------

From: Erik Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.help,linux.news.groups,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 24 May 1999 17:37:45 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Alistair Cunningham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In uk.comp.os.linux Erik Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I wouldn't exactly say 4Front has "gained the good will of the Open
>> source community".  It is my belief from what I read that most of the
>> Linux community that cares about audio holds 4Front in contempt.

> Did I say that it had? No. If you go back and read what I wrote, I said
> that if you GPL, you will gain that good will.

My point was that going "open source" doesn't guarantee "good will".

> I agree totally that the Linux community doesn't like 4Front - hence ALSA

Yes, but at what cost?  Its not in the distro's and its not 100% compatible.
Actually from ALSA's web page I'm not exactly sure what or even why it is.
I've read some posts that even have me worried from a commercial point of
view it is less open/usable than 4Fronts OSS which I believe is now mainly
maintained by Alan Cox.  From my point of view ALSA has only further
obfuscated an already obfuscated situation, that is not progress.

> as I said that if you don't go GPL, someone will make a GPL clone)

I love this and I've read it before, the great open source it or else threat.
Personally I believe in open source, I'm a Linux advocate, but I don't
understand the "you must be totally open source or you must die crowd."
Why must so many people be such extremists?  Or are they just mimic'ing the
antics of their fearless hero, Stallman?

All that the "open source it or else threat" is going is keeping commercial
software companies from entering the Linux market due to fear.  This IMO
is not a good thing and this does not promote Linux.

Open source is not the only road to "software that doesn't suck".
I think that Linux needs more high quality applications.

> Why do think Corel, and another large company (who I'm not allowed
> to name at present), are so keen to create distributions based on
> Debian?

I think the reason Corel and others are jumping onto the Linux distro
bandwagon is they read all the press releases about Red Hat, they see
the big money is in the Linux distros and not the apps.  And since Corel
can't really make a profit in the Windows market they realized they needed
a serious paradigm shift if they wanted a piece of the Linux pie.

When I go to a restaurant I like choice, but too many choices just hurts.

>> .... the GPL license is
>> becoming synonymous with Linux.

> What's wrong with that? Linux is, after all, released under the GPL,
> and is the most famous product to do so.

Because from my point of view it looks like the GPL has the monopoly on
the free licenses.  Like I said just look at freshmeat.  The GPL monopoly
just like the Microsoft monopoly and other monopolies is bad for consumers.
Since the people behind the GPL enjoy all the popularity it is obvious that
they fight GPL license dillution, license choice is not in their best
interests.

The real question is what is in the publics best interest?
While the GPL might be a good thing, it by itself is not the answer.

Also with all the political rhetoric ingrained in the GPL and Stallman's
childish antics, I personally am afraid of what Stallman might do next.
He has the power to do some serious badness with that "supercedes previous
GPL versions" like clause.  Will the sky fall?  Probably not.

erik olson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Lane)
Subject: Re: Linux Internet Links
Date: 24 May 1999 14:59:14 GMT

On Mon, 24 May 1999 09:11:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Hi there,
>
>Does anybody know any decent Linux Internet links?

  www.linux.com
  www.linuxhq.com
  www.redhat.com
  www.lwn.net
  www.freshmeat.net

  Brian

--
========[Inside  74.10]=======[Outside 48.84F]=======[Drink 67.65F]=========
Brian C. Lane                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Toby Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce,alt.sources.d
Subject: ANNOUNCE: GNU MAVERIK 5.0 released
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:55:41 +0100

The University of Manchester releases GNU Maverik:
a free Virtual Reality system for GNU/Linux PCs
and Silicon Graphics workstations

The Advanced Interfaces Group, in the Department of Computer Science at the
University of Manchester, UK, announces the release of GNU Maverik 5.0, a
software system for supporting Virtual Reality applications.

GNU Maverik is Free software released under the GNU General Public Licence,
and is released with full source code, documentation and example programs.
As of release 4.3 GNU Maverik is an official component of the Free Software
Foundation's GNU Project located in Boston, USA.

(A fully-linked Web version of this announcement is at
http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/systems/Maverik/pr.html)

=======
CONTACT (for Maverik enquiries)
=======

Dr Roger Hubbold
Department of Computer Science
Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom
Tel: (44) 161 275 6158
Fax: (44) 161 275 6204
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk

=======
CONTACT (for GNU/Free Software Foundation enquiries)
=======

Timothy Ney
Free Software Foundation
59 Temple Place, Suite 330
Boston, MA  02111, USA
Tel: (617) 542-5942
Fax: (617) 542-2652
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.gnu.org

================
WHAT IS MAVERIK?
================

Maverik is a system for managing graphics and interaction in Virtual
Reality applications. It is designed to address the challenges of highly
interactive virtual environments containing many objects with complex
geometry. Maverik uses either Mesa or OpenGL to perform rendering and runs
on GNU/Linux PCs and Silicon Graphics workstations.

================
DOWNLOAD MAVERIK
================

The complete Maverik distribution is available as both RPMs and gzipped
tars from http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/systems/Maverik, and also from
ftp.gnu.org.

================================
EXAMPLES OF MAVERIK APPLICATIONS
================================

Visit the Maverik Applications Gallery
(http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/systems/Maverik/gallery.html) for examples of
a wide range of Maverik applications.

====================
WHY MAVERIK IS NOVEL
====================

Maverik dispenses with a separate representation for application data.
Conventional VR systems need to import data into their own format, but
Maverik avoids this by making use of the application's own internal data
structures. This has two important benefits:

1) Maverik can easily take advantage of optimisations that are highly
   application-specific, intimately tied to knowledge that the application
   has.

2) Maverik can far more readily adapt (dynamically) to a wide range of
   application demands. Its flexible design means that applications with
   widely differing requirements can be supported.

========================
THE MAVERIK ARCHITECTURE
========================

Maverik has two main parts:

1) The Maverik micro-kernel implements a set of core services, and a
   framework that applications can use to build complete virtual
   environments and virtual reality interfaces.

2) The Maverik supporting modules contain default methods for optimised
   display management including culling, spatial management, interaction
   and navigation, and control of VR input and output devices. Maverik's
   structure allows these default methods to be customised to operate
   directly on application data, so that optimal representations and
   algorithms can be employed.

============
RELATED WORK
============

Maverik provides a framework and toolkit for a single user to perceive,
interact with, and navigate around, a graphically complex Virtual
Environment. Although it can be used stand-alone for single-user VR
applications, it has been designed to integrate with a large-scale
distributed multi-user VR system called Deva, currently under development
(http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/systems/Deva/). Deva supports multiple virtual
worlds and applications, together with sophisticated methods of specifying
behaviours and laws for objects within VEs. The Advanced Interfaces Group
plans to release the Deva system at a later date.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Funding for development of Maverik was provided by the UK's Engineering and
Physical Sciences Research Council (grant GR/K99701), with additional
support from our industrial partners, CADCentre Ltd, Brown & Root Ltd, and
Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd.

[ends, revision of 21/May/99]