Linux-Misc Digest #266, Volume #20               Wed, 19 May 99 23:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: tar and gz (Chris)
  Re: Redhat Public PGP key - Where? (brian moore)
  Re: Restoring from tapes after crash ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: netscape + java (Ron Olsen)
  Re: Killing Rouge Processes? ("D. Vrabel")
  Re: Realplayer G2 (Allen Wong)
  Re: Pro-Unix vs anti-WinTel (was: Re: Is Unix a single user operating system?)
(Alexander Viro)
  Compilation errors on Redhat 6.0 box... how do I fix this? ("rackles")
  Re: Looking for FREE Java IDE builder (Kevin Burton)
  Re: How to grow my dos partition ("D. Vrabel")
  Re: information on "how to make a bootable linux cdrom"... or? (John Auld)
  Re: Kernel 2.3.2 won't print (Ian Hay)
  Re: Partition problems (Paul Sherwin)
  Re: URGENT: How to download Red Hat 6??? ("Ed Blosch")
  Re: possible to burn Mac Bootable with xcdroast? (Philip Charles)
  HTML based POP tools ("Al Nios")
  Re: Compaq Laptop Modem (James Lee)
  Syquest and Printer (MIke borden)
  Re: Need help setting up system. ("D. Vrabel")
  Re: A Capitalists view of freedom (Kenneth P. Turvey)
  Re: Kernel upgrade (**Nick Brown)
  Re: A simple message (**Nick Brown)
  Re: WIN98 and Suse-Linux 6.1 Problems (Peter Verthez)

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tar and gz
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:59:36 -0400

'tar xvzf <filename>'

Christopher E. Geddings

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Redhat Public PGP key - Where?
Date: 20 May 1999 00:59:07 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 16:09:39 GMT,
 Kevin E Cosgrove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone know where to look for Redhat's public PGP key?  I looked
> all over their website and searched it with Google, w/o any luck.

On the key servers as 0xCBA29BF9

pub  1024R/CBA29BF9 1996-02-20 Red Hat Software, Inc.  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Fingerprint: 6D 9C BA DF D9 60 52 06  23 46 75 4E 73 4C FB 50

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Restoring from tapes after crash
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 00:11:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Bumble) wrote:

> What happens when you want to run a full backup from / ?  If a file
is
> inuse  by the  kernel,  then wont  it  be locked  when  you attempt
> backup/restore  with tar?

Go into single user mode to backup, this will minimize file usage,
i.e. changes (the kernel won't lock you out).  The trick to restoring
is to use a rescue diskette that loads everything you need into RAM
(ramdisk).  Then you can restore a totally trashed hard disk from tape,
or as few files as you want.

>My impression  is  the files  used by the kernel must  first be
>restored into a temp directory  and then copied over to  the target
>location.

No, you are making this too hard to do.  Be lazy :-)

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Olsen)
Subject: Re: netscape + java
Date: 19 May 1999 21:39:36 GMT

Danile Kollar wrote:
> > This can also be accomplished via
> >
> >         chkfontlist --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
>
> I don't have the chkfontlist program. Is it shipped with redhat-6.0?
> What's the name of the rpm-package?

Typo.  That should be chkfontpath, from RH 6.0 chkfontpath-1.4.1-1.i386.rpm

--

        Ron Olsen
        Boulder Colorado

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Killing Rouge Processes?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:06:10 +0100

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Jason Bond wrote:

Red processes how interesting...

> This is sort of a general question.  After running Linux for a while,
> and starting and stopping various programs, I've noticed (using the K-
> Process Manager) that there are often quite a few process that I've (at
> least thought that I've) closed or stopped that appear to still be
> running...some even using a significant proportion of the CPU time.
What processes are they?

> They've not turned to zombie processes (which is another question...how
> do you kill Zombie processes?).  I know that they shouldn't be running

You don't kill Zombie processes.  They're not real processes.  They
consume no resources apart from their entry in the process table.  I think
they're waiting for child processes to finish.

> however.
> Is there any general way to "clean up" these types of
> processes?  Since I imagine that there are probably a few processes that
> I don't recognize the names of (like the ones that I know that should
> have already been stopped) in these useless states.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
If you are sure you know the process should be dead the kill command can
be used to send signals to the process.  Try SIGINT first, then SIGQUIT (I
think that's it) if it still doesn't die use SIGKILL.

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realplayer G2
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:00:00 -0700

Larry,

    It's out today!  Check out

http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Pro-Unix vs anti-WinTel (was: Re: Is Unix a single user operating system?)
Date: 19 May 1999 20:47:34 -0400

In article <7hv4df$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
david parsons <o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s> wrote:
>In article <7huu1a$ili$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Jason T. Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>According to david parsons <o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s>:
>>>     At least you don't have blowhards like Rex Ballard, so you can thank
>>>     your blessings that FreeBSD isn't popular yet.  But it's starting to
>>>     show up in the computer media, so I'm not going to expect the Usenet
>>>     reenactment of Yugoslavia in the 1990s to end any time soon.
>>
>>Isn't popular yet? Oh dear.
>
>    Who's your Rex Ballard?

<chuckle> The Real Thing tried to apply at some moment. Not that it was
accepted... But yes, looks like FreeBSD community gets infected by the
same type of imbecils (advocates) pretty fast. Sad...

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: "rackles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compilation errors on Redhat 6.0 box... how do I fix this?
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:07:35 GMT

# cc rrlogin.c -o rrlogin
In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:34,
                 from /usr/include/netdb.h:31,
                 from rrlogin.c:122:
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:252: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/signal.h:294,
                 from rrlogin.c:125:
/usr/include/bits/sigcontext.h:28: asm/sigcontext.h: No such file or
directory
In file included from /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25,
                 from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from rrlogin.c:126:
/usr/include/linux/errno.h:4: asm/errno.h: No such file or directory

# cc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

------------------------------

From: Kevin Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Looking for FREE Java IDE builder
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:45:39 -0700

I had never heard of freebuilder... looks awesome though.  Probably the
best open source IDE I have seen.

Have you looked at KDevelop?  It is a GNU C++ IDE that is opensourced.
(http://www.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~smeier/kdevelop/index.html).  I have been
wanting to dig my hands into some C++/Java/Unix/NT code and might add
Java support to this.

It is probably the best IDE (free or non-free) I have seen on the Unix
side.

--
Kevin A. Burton
Internet Guy

------------------------------

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to grow my dos partition
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:16:23 +0100

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Michael Wolf wrote:

> I shrunk my windows partition to get a starting cylinder lower than 1024
> for my linux partitions.
>
> I then ended up with 3G of space between my windows and linux partition
> since I was thinking I could just grow my windows partition to pick up
> the slack.
>
> Now I am not sure how to grow my windows partition backup.
Just create a new partition.

David

From: (John Auld)
Subject: Re: information on "how to make a bootable linux cdrom"... or?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:21:58 GMT

On 13 May 1999 07:32:40 GMT, TedC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>i am looking for information on creating bootable linux cdroms. i am using
>EasyCD Creator under windows 95. any information will be appreciated...

In the directory containing the red hat files

view doc/HOWTO/mini/RedHat-CD

What you want to do will be alot easier under Unix, which may be a
catch 22 position if you need to burn the CD to run Linux.

Regards

John Auld

------------------------------

From: Ian Hay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.3.2 won't print
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 01:19:06 GMT

[posted and mailed]

"Gary S. Mackay" wrote:

> Has anyone upgraded to the latest 2.3.2 kernel, and if so, did you have
> any problems printing? I keep one or two previous kernels in lilo for
> just this occasion. I downloaded the entire linux-2.3.2.tar.gz file,
> configed, compiled, installed, etc. (been doing this since 2.0.35).
> Everything came up even diald. When I try to print to either printer
> (two ports), lpq shows both ports offline. Since both ports are broke,
> I'm guessing it's maybe a rights issue? Any idea what changed? When I
> boot back to the 2.2.9 kernel, all is well.

First - please understand that 2.3.2 is NOT the "latest" kernel.  It is
the latest -development- kernel.  If you knew this already, you should
be posting your question to the kernel mailing list.  If you did not
know this, you shouldn't be using it.  It is a development kernel, and
is -not- intended to work perfectly.

If all is well in the -latest- kernel (2.2.9), then by all means you
should go back to it. :)

I.

Ian R. Hay                 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Toronto, Canada      <http://www3.sympatico.ca/ian.hay/>
"Linux already IS user-friendly ... it's just very picky
about who it makes friends with!"     -- source unknown.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Sherwin)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Partition problems
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:45:16 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 10:39:41 +0100, "E B+S Prof. Dr. F. F.
Branco-Porto Santo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The problem is that I wanted (for the moment) to uninstall Linux and
>recover that partition it was on.
>I did fdisk/mbr in order to recover the original partition table. No
>message error.
>When using once again fdisk (DOS/Windows one) to see what partitions
>there where and their size - surprise: The system didn't recongnize any
>other partition (although it reported the correct size of the drive)
>and, worst than that, didn't let me erase the extende DOS partition.

DOS fdisk/mbr rewrites the master boot record - nothing to do with
partitions. You will need to boot Linux from a floppy (your
installation floppy set should be OK) then run Linux fdisk and delete
the Linux partitions. You can then reboot W98 and create an extended
DOS partition in the free space.

Best regards, Paul
Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone +44 (0)1865 721438    http://www.telinco.co.uk/psherwin/index.htm
Fax   +44 (0)1865 434331    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pager +44 (0)7666 797228

------------------------------

From: "Ed Blosch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: URGENT: How to download Red Hat 6???
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:58:39 -0700

Please tell me where to get a $2 copy of RH6.0.  Infomagic doesn't have
it out yet, and Redhat wants $79.95.  GNU wants $150 to precompile
everything specifically for my system.  Are you saying, if I download it
myself and purchase a writable CD-ROM, that I can buy the media for
$2 ?  How much are writable CD-ROMs?

I'm serious, where can I get a CD w/RH6.0 on it for $2?  I'd gladly pay
$20, but I can't even find it at that price.

If  I send you the money, can you send me one?

Thanks,
Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Charles)
Subject: Re: possible to burn Mac Bootable with xcdroast?
Date: 20 May 1999 01:20:29 GMT

On Tue, 18 May 1999 15:49:34 -0500, William Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Is it possible to burn Mac Bootable CD's with xcdroast/cdrecord?

Short answer, yes (m68k), don't know about powerpc.  There are Debian
bootable distribution discs for m68k.  I am not realy in a position to tell
you how.

Phil

--
Philip Charles.  For Debian GNU/Linux CDs, see http://www.copyleft.co.nz

------------------------------

From: "Al Nios" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HTML based POP tools
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:06:13 -0400

I'm fairly new at Linux (2.2) and have a couple of questions regarding
e-mail and Linux. I want to setup up a server that will allow users to
access their e-mail using:
1- Clients such as Microsoft Outlook, Netscape, etc
2- HTML based Clients

Can anyone tell me if I need any special software for 1 (or do I simply use
sendmail) and 2 what is the best tools to setup and HTML client.

Thank You for your help

Al Nios

------------------------------

From: James Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop Modem
Date: 19 May 1999 08:07:58 -0500

In comp.os.linux.setup Bob Sully <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi all-
:       I'm trying to set up PPP on my Compaq laptop, which has an
: integrated 56K modem.  Initially, it was set to some odd memory addresses
: (it has two, now set to 2F8 and 1400h, IRQ3).  I can't get Linux to operate
: it, even as root - it keeps coming back with "Modem is busy", even as root.
: Any ideas?  It works with Windoze.  Thanks.

could be a winmodem.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:04:54 -0500
From: MIke borden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Syquest and Printer

Ok, I've gotten to where I can insert the modules for my syquest drive
and mount and everything. The only thing is that  when I do do that my
printer will not print. I will do lpr filename and it acts like it will
print but it doesn't. I want to know if I'm supposed to remove the
modules for the syquest and reinsert the printer or they supposed to
work together with our removing the modules.

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help setting up system.
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:12:29 +0100

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Bev wrote:

> K G Tee wrote:
> >
> > The sequence to install a dual-boot system will be first to install Windows
> > and then RH 6.0, after allocating the two partitions. There isn't any
> > complication about that. The LILO boots Linux by default.
> >
> > Installing Linux first and then Windows, will make Linux "vanish".
> >
> > theoddone33 wrote in message <7hkrhi$6ic$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > > I just ordered RH 6.0, and I'm getting a 10 gig HD in a few weeks.  Right
> > >now, I've got a 240 meg HD running slackware 3.5.  I want to split the 10
> > >gig into 2 5 gig partitions with windows on one and RH on the other.  From
> > >my limited experience installing windows, I'm assuming it will only install
> > >itself in the first partition.  Is this correct?  Also, I read in Linux
> > >Journal that LILO can load windows.  I would like RH to load by default,
> > >even if windows is in the first partition and I want to put LILO in the
> > >Master Boot Record.  Is there anyone who knows how to do this that would
> > >like to explain it to me further?  Specifically, I need help with getting
> > >LILO to load windows.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Just for curious, why do most people use lilo rather than loadlin, which
> merely requires that you type 'win' or 'linux' at the C:\> prompt and
> leaves the MBR untouched?
I'd recommend using loadlin too.  It has no problems with disk geometry
etc.  If linux can see it then loadlin will work.

I think the problem wih loadlin is that it is not an option during the
install hence not many people know about or they think that it is an
inferior solution.  Loadlin should become an installation option.

David

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:51:51 -0500

On 19 May 1999 12:35:41 +0200,
David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Unfortunately, they do.  Your chance of death by shooting in the
>U.S. is about a factor of 5 higher than in comparable countries with
>gun control.  The school shootings are just an insignificant top of
>the iceberg.

The chances of death by stabbing are also higher, would you say that
this is related to the price of pork bellies?  We live in a violent
society.  Gun control does not change that.

>> The most successful way to defend against rape is with a handgun.
>
>What percentage of rapes has been avoided by the use of a handgun?
>Have any statistics?

Obviously the percentage is small.  Few of the potential victims would
be armed.  Of the women who resist rape, those armed with a handgun are
far more successful than any other group.  This should be obvious, but
does run counter to what the gun control lobby would have you believe.
The gun control lobby would have you believe that most women who try to
use guns to defend themselves die in the process.  Although this does
happen, it is rare.

If you would like the source, I can provide it.  I'll send it via email
once I track them down.

>> This does increase the risk of accidental shooting, and the risk of
>> the `hoodlum' getting the gun (from zero to something finite), but
>> the risk of rape drops dramatically.
>
>Where have you got your numbers from?  How many rapists will let their
>victim fumble with her handbag?

Believe it or not, most violent criminals are not Rhodes scholars.

>> Just because you believe you have no use for a gun doesn't mean that no
>> one has a need for one.  I don't need a gun to defend myself either, but
>> I am pleased that I have the right to if necessary.
>
>Unfortunately, so has everybody else.  And the persons that have the
>best "private" use for guns are those you would not want to have guns.

Actually, you and I probably disagree on this point.  I tend to believe
we have created several classes of citizens who would not feel the need
to arm themselves if our government were run better.  We have laws that
seem to have the sole intention of creating more violence.  These should
be changed, not access to the weapons themselves.

Even if guns were banned tomorrow in the US, criminals would have no
problems obtaining them for the next 100 years.  We have that many.
We also have a large number of honest citizens who believe that
outlawing large classes of weapons is outside the legitimate authority
of the state (myself included).  You really couldn't implement British
style gun control in the United States.

Now how did we get from operating systems to gun control?

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
================= http://www.tranquility.net/~kturvey

  The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be
  construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
        -- Amendment IX to The United States Constitution

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:10:12 +0200

Chris Sorenson wrote:

> Morten wrote:
>
> > Anyway when I try to use "make zdisk" or "make
> > zlilo" I get the information that the size of my system is 553 which is too
> > much.
> >
> > How can I make it smaller?
>
> Use "make bzdisk" instead, it does neat file compression things.

The b in bzdisk is for "big".  It handles the case where you would need
more than 640 KB of real-mode memory to load the kernel.

553 KB for a compressed kernel is big.  Go back to menuconfig and start
removing stuff.  You've probably got loads of SCSI cards or Ethernet
cards compiled in.  Also, look at the possibility of using modules for
most of your hardware.

> > PS: What is the major differences between version 2.2 and 2.3?

2.3, like 2.1, is the unstable kernel series.  A 2.3 kernel is quite
likely to not even boot on your machine.  It may well contain
experimental and extremely unstable code for doing really basic stuff.
Don't use it.  (In fact, there's no reason for 95% of people to upgrade
from 2.0.36, IMHO).

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: A simple message
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:15:18 +0200

Very neat.  How would you do it if only the first letter was to be
lowercased ?

From: verthezp@nemdev1 (Peter Verthez)
Subject: Re: WIN98 and Suse-Linux 6.1 Problems
Date: 19 May 1999 13:20:42 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Thomas Hock") writes:
: Hi ...
:
: i retrieved some prblems after installing the newest SuSe distibution 6.1.
: After finisching yast-lilo configuration (hda1 = dos, hdb1 = linux standaard
: IDE-Kernel) i restartet the system and it seem to work with the new linux
: partitions.I rebooted the system again to start my old (Windows) system and
: it dosn't come up until it press the reset button. in the next step I booted
: in secure mode (and this is the only way to start Win) and I could not
: change anything to repair my registry.
: Finaly I started with a DOS-Boot Disk and used the fdisk With /mbr options
: in hope to fix the Win problems. Nothing happens.

If I'm not mistaken, Windows is searching for a DOSish partition on
your second hard drive, doesn't find one, and doesn't like it...

I had this problem myself and the only solution that I found was to
create a very small DOSish partition on the second hard disk next to
my Linux partition.  This solved my problem.  I don't know if there is
a simpler solution (and haven't searched for it after I solved it, in
fact).

Also, in my case, there used to be a DOSish partition on the second disk
*before* I installed Linux, so maybe that was my problem (the fact
that it had disappeared to Windows).

Maybe someone else has a better solution ?

Best regards,
Peter.
Peter Verthez                        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Software Engineer Network Mgt.     Tel: (+32 3) 451 28 14 | Alcanet:
Alcatel Telecom, dept. XE60        Fax: (+32 3) 451 28 03 | (6)2681
When they start spelling your name in lower case, then you're
famous.
                                                          Hamming