Linux-Misc Digest #266, Volume #26                Wed, 8 Nov 00 15:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Using Samba, smbclient works, but can't mount share via smbmount (mike)
  Re: ABIT Hot Rod 100 IDE RAID adapter and Linux? (Vincent "Hefiz" Graux)
  Re: Using Samba, smbclient works, but can't mount share via smbmount (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: network slow in linux, fast in win... (Matt Warnock)
  Re: Software RAID ("William Fong")
  Re: HELP!! Partition Magic Error 105. PartitionInfo inside: Please look!!
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux/UNIX=Windows ("Mats Pettersson")
  Can't get "ln -sf" to work (Timur Tabi)
  Re: Netzero? (Kevin E Cosgrove)
  Re: HELP! Where do I find these?!? ("Kryliss Norwind" $[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Cant start X (second time I'm asking this) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  gtk (Alexey)
  Quake on Linux (inon21)
  Re: Named started? ("Jay")
  Re: Dump account ("Jay")
  Re: Cant start X (second time I'm asking this) ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cant start X (second time I'm asking this) (Black Dragon)
  Re: Free ISP? - How about Capitol One? (mst)
  Recompiling PHP (Fil Sapienza)

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using Samba, smbclient works, but can't mount share via smbmount
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:18:41 GMT

Hi,
    when I try to mount a shared drive from my Win95 system by doing:

smbmount \\\\greentree\\c /mnt

the results are: mount error, no such device, please refer to
smbmnt(8).

      I can use smbclient \\\\greentree\c    and look at and copy
files between system.

    I am using Redhat 6.1

Thanks

Mike

------------------------------

From: Vincent &quot;Hefiz&quot; Graux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ABIT Hot Rod 100 IDE RAID adapter and Linux?
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:30:05 -0000

Hello. I have the exact same request ; I'm searching for a RH 6.2 driver
for my KT7R. I'll let you know here and by e-mail if I ever find something.

Anyway, if you succeeded in configuring four disks in RAID 0+1, I'm
interested. Please mail.

Vincent

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:33:40 GMT

On Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:18:41 GMT, mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>    when I try to mount a shared drive from my Win95 system by doing:
>
>smbmount \\\\greentree\\c /mnt

Hmmmm....

What version of smbmount are you using?

smbmount v2.0.5a accepts sharenames in the format
  //server/share

as in
  smbmount //greentree/c /mnt

>the results are: mount error, no such device, please refer to
>smbmnt(8).

Do you have the smbfs.o module loaded?
Are you sure that the sharename is \\GREENTREE\C ?
Have you tried the -I and/or -n options?

>      I can use smbclient \\\\greentree\c    and look at and copy
>files between system.
>
>    I am using Redhat 6.1
>

>Thanks
>
>Mike

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Matt Warnock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: network slow in linux, fast in win...
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:15:12 -0500

thanks, i'll try that.

------------------------------

From: "William Fong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Software RAID
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:17:53 GMT

Those cards are not really true hardware RAID devices.  The only true EIDE
hardware RAID is from Adaptec.  Those are in the $200 range.

-will

--

______________________________
William Fong - www.digitaldev.com

news:CacO5.40277$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: HELP!! Partition Magic Error 105. PartitionInfo inside: Please look!!
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:11:44 GMT

> Yeah right. I know PM can abort with these error messages,
> (I've had them myself too) but that doesn't make it bad software.
> (I agree the error message aren't very clear)
> But partitiontable's aren't easy. Every single OS on the market
> that claim's to understand a PC's partitiontable has it's own
> gotcha's in handling these tables. PM's tries to be so generic
> in the table it creates/handles due to these (in)compatabilities.
>
> If you would have used PM to create your table from start,
> and not mess with the fdisk's from any OS, PM will resize, create
> and delete all entries just fine. But if you have used an fdisk,
> that's is more rich-featured than DOS fdisk (like the linux one)
> PM may find it impossible to deal with your table.
>
> If you would obey all the rules PM does (and they are too stringent, I
> know)
> you would never have any partition table problem to begin with.
>
> Eric

I could not agree more. I once used fdisk (DOS), fdisk (LINUX) and PM
in paralell and escaped several heart attacks, but only just. Since
then I have used only PM with no problems at all. I'd rather stiick to
the most stringent package out there than running any risks.
--
                         --- Till Ruessmann ---

From: "Mats Pettersson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux/UNIX=Windows
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:19:07 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:eg3O5.133821$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > As a side note. (not as harsh as it may sound :)
> >
> > I think GUI is highly underestimated in this newsgroup.
> >
> > As i see it, a GUI is not for stupid people not wanting to learn
> > about computers. It's for doing a job (mostly computer unrelated) as
> > fast and effeciantly as possibly.
>
> The problem is that this _isn't true_.

Ok,ok! It's not entierly ture. :)

I don't mean that a GUI is the best solution in all cases, but in many. I
would like to see our photographers adjust pictures and making cutouts using
a text-based CLI. :)

If you just running a server it may be even better to leave the GUI out,
instead of letting it take up resources from disk and memory.

However to show that i'm not just wining, i like to say that i downloaded
KDE2 the other day and it looked real nice, even the "office" pack that came
with it. I managed to crash the illustrator-killer though. :)

I hope the guys at KDE keeps up the good work.

Mats

------------------------------

From: Timur Tabi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't get "ln -sf" to work
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:15:30 GMT

Could someone explain this to me please:

[root@one src]# ll
total 16
lrwxrwxrwx    1 ttabi    ttabi          17 Nov  8 11:22 linux ->
linux-2.4.0-test2
drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root         4096 Oct 30 17:52 linux-2.2.14
drwxr-xr-x   14 1046     101          4096 Nov  8 12:13
linux-2.4.0-test2
drwxr-xr-x   14 ttabi    ttabi        4096 Nov  8 11:21
linux-2.4.0-test9
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root         4096 Jun 12 18:07 redhat
[root@one src]# ln -s -f linux-2.2.14 --target-directory=linux
ln: linux/.: cannot overwrite directory
[root@one src]#

I specified the -f flag, so why doesn't it delete the target and force
the link?

--
Timur "too sexy for my code" Tabi
Remove "nospam_" from my email address when replying

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin E Cosgrove)
Subject: Re: Netzero?
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:35:24 GMT

        Yes and no.  I can be done, but the username and password
        that you give to Netzero are not the same as the ones
        used during start-up.  Instead they're based on the
        username and password that you give to Netzero.  This can
        be cracked, but I have not done this with Netzero.

        There was an article in this group that told how to save
        the PPP start-up dialog to a logfile.  I think the
        subject line of that article was "are there any free ISPs
        that work with linux?".  Check there for more details.

        G'luck....

From: "Kryliss Norwind" <NO<-kryliss->$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: HELP! Where do I find these?!?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:41:41 -0800

    I think you are out of luck friend.. I have a Xircom Pocket adapter that
works fine under Windows but no one has come up with anything for Linux and
I don't have the programming skills to do so myself.
    The null modem idea I think would be your best bet.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Cant start X (second time I'm asking this)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:54:58 GMT

For some reason I suddenly can't start X.  When I try I get a message
saying:

        Authentication failed - cannot start X server
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

I'm using Redhat 6.2.  Everything worked fine when I went to bed first
thing this morning this happened.

What do I do?

Mark Healey
mark1(the 'at' thing)healeyonline.com

------------------------------

From: Alexey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gtk
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:57:12 GMT

hi!
If i sometimes run gtk-program, in console appears:
=====
Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
Gdk-WARNING **:    KOI8-R
Gdk-WARNING **:    KOI8-R
=====
And instead of russian words seen other symbols (in this gtk-program).
Locale and fonts installed correctly.
I use XFree86 version 3.3.6-20
        pygtk-0.6.6-1
Any ideas?

--
Alexey

From: inon21 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Quake on Linux
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:03:51 GMT

Please help!

Where can I get Quake game for Linux? Thanks.

From: "Jay" <jayp@*spamfree*datainn.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Named started?
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 08:11:04 +1300

6.2 Red Hat

Jay

Raymond Doetjes wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Which version of named are you running?
>I saw this happen once on a RedHatbox with Version 4.3.something (NOT 9).
>If you have a version younger then 4.3.9 or younger then 8.2.2p5
>UPGRADE QUICKLY. Then your dies might be a thing of the past also.
>
>Raymond
>
>Wayne Pollock wrote:
>
>> Suggest you check the error logs.  Maybe named has some entries
>> explaining why it dies.
>>
>> It sounds like your named runs ok for a while then dies unexpectedly.
>> A temporary work-around it to not start named via the standard Linux
>> method of an rc shell script.  Instead, add an entry for it directly
>> in /etc/inittab and use the "respawn" option.  This way, init will
>> automatically restart named any time it dies.
>>
>> But, check the error log (/var/log/messages) first!
>>
>> -Wayne Pollock
>>
>> Jay wrote:
>> >
>> > We are running a secondary DNS service on a Linux Red hat 6.2 OS
>> > We had no problems initially but then we stopped getting authoritative
>> > A colleague went into /etc/ and typed named and then all was fine.
>> > Now twice this week we have not been getting an authoritative response
from
>> > the box, so we go into /etc/ and type named and nothing happens...
apart

------------------------------

From: "Jay" <jayp@*spamfree*datainn.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Dump account
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 08:15:38 +1300

Creating a single pop account which is basically [EMAIL PROTECTED] and having
all other usernames *@domain.com also stored so that their mailserver can
collect it all and then distribute it accordingly (they are running MS
Exchange and is up to them to sort out the distribution) I just need to be
able to have it not bounce and sit in their folder awaiting collection.
Tried using a "fallback address" yesterday (am a Linux newbie so was
guessing) they then recieved 260 msgs from my "3" test emails!!!!!

Jay

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Cant start X (second time I'm asking this)
Date: 8 Nov 2000 19:26:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: For some reason I suddenly can't start X.  When I try I get a message
: saying:

:         Authentication failed - cannot start X server
:         Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

Perhaps you don't! Sounds like the first thing to check. That and if
Xwrapper is still suid. Then I'd check to see if /tmp is full.

: What do I do?

Look.

If all else fails strace X as it starts up (this is actually darn tricky
because of the suid thing, and will require you to read the strace
manual closely).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:15:17 GMT

I have setup wu-ftpd proftpd and ncftpd and they
all have the same problem. I try to ftp to my
linux box, mandrake if it makes a difference,
from a dos window in windows, I connect and
login, but if I issue an ls or dir, it just
hangs. I get nothing until a control connection
timout. I have tried to use quote pasv since I am
behind a firewall with nat and still same
problem. But, from the same pc I can connect just
fine with wsftp, in passive mode. But I can not
connect from IE5. I just don't get it. Same
problem with three different servers. So I guess
it is not the server. Anyone have any input?
I am thinking something with the return trip. I
can login to other ftp servers with command line
just not my box. Also, linux to linux is fine..
-Tony

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:44:34 GMT

On Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:54:58 GMT in comp.os.linux.help,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:

>For some reason I suddenly can't start X.  When I try I get a message
>saying:
>
>        Authentication failed - cannot start X server
>        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
>
>I'm using Redhat 6.2.  Everything worked fine when I went to bed first
>thing this morning this happened.
>
>What do I do?

As root, try deleting the /tmp/orbit-[username] directory, then start X.

--
Black Dragon

Sign The Linux Driver Petition:
http://www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

------------------------------

From: mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Free ISP? - How about Capitol One?
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 15:02:17 -0500

Kevin E Cosgrove wrote:

> I got some paper junk mail from Capital One, the credit card
> company.  In it they said that they offer free internet service.
> Well, that would be great for me and my Linux box.  Looking a
> little further, I noticed that it was WinXX only at this time.
> So, I emailed them and found out that they ARE considering adding
> Linux support in the near future.  I suspect that we as a
> community could have an effect on this, no?  Isn't there even a
> Linux credit card somewhere that makes FSF donations based on
> spending?

Yeah, about 20 of the free ISP's I have contacted over the past 2 years
say thay are "considering" Linux support. None has done anything about
it so far.

MST

------------------------------

From: Fil Sapienza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Recompiling PHP
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 12:04:08 -0700

Hello. On RH Linux 6.2, I have installed Apache and PHP using the rpm's
that came with
the installation cds. I wish to recompile php3 from scratch so as to
enable mysql support.
Is this possible to do and if so, where do I find the php3 source files?
Do I have to download
the source from PHP.net or can I get them from the install cds?

More importantly, do I need to 'uninstall' the existing php rpm before
recompiling it?
Thank you.

Filipp Sapienza