Linux-Misc Digest #266, Volume #25               Fri, 28 Jul 00 20:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  newbie Q: SCSI disk error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Building a Linux Server from scratch:  Experiences? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: eth0 delaying initialization - why? (James Franklin)
  Re: Quicktime player? (Sorenson Video)
  Install Corel Linux from Hard Drive?!? Possible ?!? ("Web Enthusiast")
  Re: Operating systems for personal-computers? (agent 01111000)
  Software sources (Trevor Brown)
  Re: linux version of pcview ("Richard Finder")
  Re: Audio CD's not playing (David Rysdam)
  Re: In search of a good mpeg video player... (David Rysdam)
  Re: Linux Distros Security Report. (Tim Haynes)
  Re: Which IDE linux C programers use? (Luis Yanes)
  Re: Network/Ethernet, still need help, more information this time. (Steven Fosdick)
  Re: Webmail + which MTA (Arjan Drieman)
  Re: Software sources (Frank Arnold)
  Conectiva Linux (Frank Arnold)
  daemon died ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]")
  Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.... which is newbie friendlier? (blowfish)
  Re: Which IDE linux C programers use? ("Michael Panero")
  Re: Oh no! (blowfish)
  What distro comes with a boot manager (not LILO) (Andrew Purugganan)
  Re: Quicktime player? (Sorenson Video) (David Steuber)
  Cannot add workspaces with sawfish ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Building a Linux Server from scratch:  Experiences? (John Broadhead)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: newbie Q: SCSI disk error
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:00:15 GMT

Help a newbie!

What would you do if you saw this on your console:

SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 2
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:06, sector 3670568

Thanks,
- Mike

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Server from scratch:  Experiences?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:53:49 +0200

David Steuber wrote:
> It's mission:  to serve HTTP connections with Apache and run a
> smallish database with PostgreSQL.  The web pages will contain
> dynamic content using mod_perl and PostgreSQL.

You might want to have a look at PHP. It's great for dynamic pages with
a connection to a database. PHP could be compiled as a modle for apache
or as a standalone CGI executable.

> Come to think of it, I can get them for credit card fraud now that
> they charged me for something I did not receive.

Sometimes it is better to buy from a local seller, however it is
probably not the cheapest solution. It is mostly easier to complain at
the local seller and you carry the stuff you bought out from the store
yourself.

> On top of all that, I recently found this on Tom's Hardware:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q2/000619/index.html
>
> It makes me think I might have gone with a Duron instead, or even an
> Athelon.

This is always a problem when buing computers. Only a few days after you
bought your machine you will find another one which is better and
cheaper.

> Has anyone else had similar experiences to mine?  Does life get
> easier in the build your own PC game?  I feel a lot like I should
> have just gone with VA Linux and be done with it.

There is one more advantage with building your own PC: You really get to
know your PC and will know exactly what to replace and how to replace it
the day you want to upgrade your PC.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Franklin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux
Subject: Re: eth0 delaying initialization - why?
Date: 28 Jul 2000 17:15:49 -0600

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:26:31 GMT, Elliott wrote:
>I just installed a new hard drive and now have two drives, we have
>windows on one and linux on the other (redhat 6.1) it dualboots fine. In
>windoze the ethernet card works fine and uses dhcp to grab it's IP
>address. In redhat however when it boots up I get a message that says
>eth0: Delaying Initialization or something like that. I when I type ifup
>eth0 we get the same message.
>
>Help.
>
>I am trying to do dhcp remember...
> thank you
>
>You can email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I had a similar problem and fixed it by turning off my Pnp in the bios.  My
Compaq was not initializing the card and Linux could not.  Windows handled it
all by itself.  My windows still works, with no related problems, since turning
off the Pnp in the bios.  When Pnp is turned off in the bios, the bios knows to
initialize the card before going to the OS.
--
James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Quicktime player? (Sorenson Video)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:31:08 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:00:02 GMT, David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Xanim doesn't play Sorenson Video encoded Quicktime .mov files,
>neither do any other players I've found for Linux.  I might have
>missed some though.  Does anyone have a link to the homepage of a
>Linux Quicktime video player that *does* support this CODEC?

        If Sorenson and Apple chose not to blow us off, Xanim would
        likely do complete QT4 by now. Podlipec even is willing to
        BUY specs, so I doubt it is for lack of effort.

        Alternately, you might want to have a chat with the XMPS
        guys. They just plain snarfed the win32 DivX codec library
        and shoehorned it into their player.

        http://www-eleves.enst-bretagne.fr/~chavarri/xmps/

--
        Unless you've got the engineering process to match a DEC,
        you won't produce a VMS.

        You'll just end up with the likes of NT.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Web Enthusiast" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install Corel Linux from Hard Drive?!? Possible ?!?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:32:11 -0400

Is it possible to install Corel Linux 1.1, or any other version of Linux for
that matter, from a Hard Drive instead of from a CD. I download the image
file and managed to extract the contents onto my HD (still waiting for
delivery of CD Burner).

I put the data on a FAT16 Partition and made a Linux boot Floppy, but have
no clue on what I can change on the boot floppy to point to my partition
instead of my CD. Eager to join you Linux Heads, so any info would be
appreciated

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (agent 01111000)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.lang.oberon,comp.os.lynx,comp.os.mach,comp.os.misc,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.psion.misc
Subject: Re: Operating systems for personal-computers?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:36:30 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:12:11 +1100, while stumbling around in alt.os.linux.mandrake,
Robert Werry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> went on and on about the rainforest, then mumbled
something under their breath:
>In article <MztuwCAZ6Ne5Ew$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kelly and Sandy
><URL:mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In a alt.os.linux.mandrake newsletter entitled "LINUX SUX THE BIG
>> WAZOO!", Rootman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

clipped for content

>RISC OS is probably the most intuitive and easy to use operating system
>available and has a pedigree as long as your ARM (pun intended).
>
>Many of the better features of other operating systems have been "borrowed"
>from it. Better still, it comes on ROM chip (no corruption or virus problems),
>in some of the world's most reliable and impressive computers - all based on
>British ARM RISC processors (just like the latest Psions):

i would love to have a risc system to fiddle around with...
not to mention, id like to dabble in a wyse (werent (arent) they pretty good
computers, too?)

--
xx
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   remove an agentx to reply :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Brown)
Subject: Software sources
Date: 28 Jul 2000 22:34:08 GMT

Hi:

I'm looking for Linux software.  Where can I find software on CD?  There
is the downloading option, but for me that is impractical for large
programs.  For example, where could I get my hands on Star Office on CD?

The local stores in this area don't sell much at all in Linux except the
actual Linux distributions, and WordPerfect Office 2000.  I live in
southern Ontario (Canada).

--
Trevor

------------------------------

From: "Richard Finder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux version of pcview
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:52:30 GMT

It will also do PowerPoint (as I recall).  I haven't tried Access myself
either.

Rich F.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: David Rysdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Audio CD's not playing
Date: 28 Jul 2000 18:14:35 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm having trouble playing audio CD's. The application (tcd in console
> , xmms in X) reads the correct number of tracks and the length of the
> track, however it will not play them, the time inside the app does not
> progress at all and the CD does not spin up.

First I was going to say "cable from drive to sound card"--but you
said that.  Darn.

Then I was going to say "what kind of drive is it?"--you said SCSI.
OK.

How about this: I have a similar problem with my MP3 ripping software
not being able to access CDs in the drive.  I found I had to do two
things.  1) Enable "generic" SCSI devices in the kernel.  2) Run the
program as root.

This second is puzzling--I know for sure this used to work, but I
don't remember when that was.  It could have been a kernel problem, it
could have been something else.  It is NOT a permissions problem.

Anyway, try logging in as root and see what happens.

--
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

------------------------------

From: David Rysdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: In search of a good mpeg video player...
Date: 28 Jul 2000 18:18:01 -0400

"Zomby Woof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> No offense to the author of aKtion! that came with my
> mandrake 7.1 distro, but it... sucks.
> The picture is terrible - extremely choppy, and I'm not getting
> any sound (the fact that there is no sound could be my fault, though...)
>
> Would anyone out there be able to recommend a good
> video player?

xanim is...OK.  mpeg_play totally rocks--I haven't had it play an mpeg
choppily yet (although it does REFUSE to play the occasional file).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Haynes)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Linux Distros Security Report.
Date: 28 Jul 2000 23:43:47 +0100

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> blowfish writes:
> > Major Linux distros security report.
>
> > http://www.securityportal.com/cover/coverstory20000724.html

Ah yes, that's the one that says

 |   I have not fully covered Slackware and Debian, with their ridiculously
 |   slow release schedules.

isn't it?

> Security fixes are always promptly backported to Debian-stable: The
> version on the net includes them.  A simple 'apt-get update; apt-get
> upgrade' in a cron job will keep you up to date.  If that is too slow for
> you, you can track proposed-updates at a slight risk of breakage.

Quite so. Some of us get a whole new distribution most days. Now what was
that about RedHat taking 2 weeks to get round to fixing it and SuSE taking
3?

Ho hum...

~Tim
--

------------------------------

From: Luis Yanes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which IDE linux C programers use?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:03:23 +0200

On 27 Jul 2000 00:02:06 +0100 Bruce Stephens
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Luis Yanes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Which are the IDE used by the linux C programmers? Free or not.
>> 73's de Luis
>
>XEmacs mostly.  For debugging, I like Insight, and Source Navigator
>(only recently released as free software) is superb.  Insight and
>Source Navigator can be found at <URL:http://sources.redhat.com/>.

After reading all the replies, seems that most linux C programmers code
much better than me, since I always have to debug at least some small part
of my code. And just syntax highlighting isn't enougth for me. vi, mc,
pico... aren't IDEs, as are KDevelop, xwpe, gIDE, rhide and wxStudio.

Certainly syntax highlighting is very desirable, as is a friendly debbuging
frontend. Althought I'm comfortable with line mode debugging, is much
faster for me with a tidier environment in text mode. Nothingh fancy nor
graphical. May be I've been with DOS TC++ for many years now :-).

Right now I'm using xwpe, that resembles TC and have a nice looking.
I tried rhide before, but was unable to compile it.

Links to KDevelop, xwpe, gIDE, rhide and wxStudio IDEs can be found at:
http://www.identicalsoftware.com/xwpe/idelinks.html

I'll be glad to knowabout others. It's strange that this topic can't be
found in the FAQ. Isn't?

I haven't notice about Source Navigator. Will take a look. Thanks.

73's de Luis

mail: melus0(@)teleline(.)es
Ampr: eb7gwl.ampr.org
http://www.terra.es/personal2/melus0/ <- PCBs for Homebrewed Hardware

------------------------------

From: Steven Fosdick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Network/Ethernet, still need help, more information this time.
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:56:57 +0000

In article <964282067.143623@sj-nntpcache-5>,
"Brian Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One thing that I did notice was that the TX packets (as reported by
> ifconfig) are increasing when I do pings, but the eth1 value in
> /proc/interrupts never increases higher than 1.  The eth0 vaule increases
> with every packet I send/receive on that interface.  I took eth1 out of the
> system and checked /proc/interrupts to make sure there was no other device
> was trying to use IRQ 9, and that checked out OK.

By far the most common reason for not receiving packets from a NIC is having
the driver use one interrupt line whilst the card is using a different one.  In Linux
the /proc/interrupts and ifconfig will report which interuupt the driver has registered
with the kernel but that doesn't mean the card is configured to generate that
interrupt.

It is also not unkown for cards to forget their settings so the next thing to do would
probably to check the card settings with the 3com setup utility (you would probbably
have to boot DOS from a floppy to do this unless you have DOS or windows on
another partition.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arjan Drieman)
Subject: Re: Webmail + which MTA
Date: 28 Jul 2000 23:15:19 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:38:44 -0400, Mail Admin
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thank you for the links. Which one of them is good for high load mail
>servers?

I have no significant experience with any of them, sorry.

>Also which MTA is better for such tasks?
>sendmail
>qmail
>portfix
>exim

I think qmail's license sucks.  The rest is ok (though the qmail
software is ok too).  It's a matter of taste which one you'll like.  I'm
used to sendmail, so that's what I use.

Arjan

------------------------------

From: Frank Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software sources
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:10:19 -0700

StarOffice 5.2 packaged with a manual is available from Amazon.com
A CD containing StarOffice 5.2 in a number of languages, but not
English, is available directly from Sun at www.sun.com for 9.95 each.
You can also download the program from sun but it is a large file.
(The download option includes the english version).
Frank Arnold

------------------------------

From: Frank Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Conectiva Linux
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:17:43 -0700

Conectiva Linux is possibly the most widely used linux in
Latin America. (http://www.conectiva.com/) Anyone know
where I could order a CD in the US?

Frank Arnold
"Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live
in the cradle forever."
Konstantin Tsilkovsky

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: daemon died
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:24:27 -0400

After sending the User ID and Password, while connected to my
ISP(mindspring), I receive
the message "PPP daemon has died (exit code = 16)". Then the system
disconnects.
Thanks for the help.  Paul

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.... which is newbie friendlier?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:40:07 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Any input will be appreciated.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Both are about the same.

You can get a decent GUI front end for both, like pgaccess for
PostgreSQL, or xmysql, or mysqladmin for MySQL.  I think Webmin can
manage both as well.

And if you want to use it with a web server, use Roxen, it'll hook to
both MySQL and PostgreSQL, IMAPd automatically. No need to mess around
like with Apache, no modules to deal with, browser configure everything,
multi-client accounts, virtual domains, mailbox, ftp, multi-languages
support, testing new pages live on line without distrubing the public
accessing pages, cache et el and much more.

What's the most popular doesn't mean it's the best. ;-)

www.roxen.com

(Roxen comes with SuSE 6.3/4, and *BSD.)

Alex / blowfish.

------------------------------

From: "Michael Panero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:16:17 +0100

XWPE
well in lower caps

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> >> Offtopic, has anyone ever managed to put a breakpoint in a program and
make
> >> the compiler acctually stop there (in KDevelop)?
>
> > the compiler?  #error can stop the c pre-processor.  a major syntax
> > error should halt the compiler itself.
>
> >> I tried with KDevelop 1.1, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not the only one
who
> >> stumbled upon this...glitch?
>
> > i am not sure what you are asking for.
>
> I think he's confused...
> You don't put breakpoints into source code to be compiled.
> You put breakpoints in by means of the debugger such as gdb and then run
> it AFTER it's been compiled...

__

----

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oh no!
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:48:28 -0700

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I read, in _Linux Journal_ (August 2000) in an article _Writing
> a Java Class to Manage RPM Package Content_ by Jean-Yves
> Mengant, the following:
>
> "As time goes on, you will add some new components to your Linux
> system, and that's where the nightmare may begin. A Linux system
> is composed of hundreds of components and dynamic libraries. In
> order to keep your system up and running, you should be careful
> since installing a new version of a component may introduce
> incompatibilities in your system, making it more unstable as
> time goes on."
>
> Sound familiar? Linux has a 'DLL hell' too? That's what I'm
> switching to Linux to get away from! Will there never be peace?
>
> Comments?
>
> Ken

DUMP anything that has any association with Red Hat, and compile from
source, and you'll be happy.

Compile from source is actually VERY SIMPLE and EASY.

.RPM stands for "Red Hat's Package Management."

And Red Hat is famous for buggie, crappy, unfinished products. And try
to hide behind the disguise of being on the "bleeding edge" when it
broke.

If you choose Red Hat, you might as well stay with Windoz.  Even Win 9.x
is better than Red Hat, according to bugtraq.

Alex / blowfish

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: What distro comes with a boot manager (not LILO)
Date: 28 Jul 2000 23:46:35 GMT

So they're selling thesePCs that come preloaded with Win98 (personally
I'd go for the refund and send the OS back in its shrinkwrap :-) and a
friend of mine wants to  be able to dual boot to Linux with it

"You need System Commander that comes with Turbo Linux" Not that I object
to TurboLinux, but do any of the distros come with boot managers that'd
work hand-in-hand with Win98?

I know ppl have been having problems doing these dual boot installs
themselves, but hey the store is doing it for my friend, and I'd like to
know if any other distro comes with a bm shipped

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:00:02 GMT

'
'       If Sorenson and Apple chose not to blow us off, Xanim would
'       likely do complete QT4 by now. Podlipec even is willing to
'       BUY specs, so I doubt it is for lack of effort.

I'll see if I can find the latest version of Xanim.  I'm using the one
from SuSE 6.2, so I guess it is pretty out of date by now.

Ever get the feeling there is an industry conspiracy to avoid
supporting Linux?  I remember trying to get DVD specs until I found
out that the cost of entry was $5000 + NDA + $$$ for something to get
you started.

'       Alternately, you might want to have a chat with the XMPS
'       guys. They just plain snarfed the win32 DivX codec library
'       and shoehorned it into their player.
'
'       http://www-eleves.enst-bretagne.fr/~chavarri/xmps/

Link bookmarked.  Thanks.

I wonder if there are any tools for Linux to reverse engineer Windows
.exe and .dll files.  I mean something that doesn't require VMWare.  I
mean something where you simply load the appropriate .exe, .dll, and .vxd
files (including the ones from the Windows OS) and the program then
analyzes the execution (by running it in a VM) to generate a
specification, or better yet, a C source code output.  Something that
is usable anyway.

Seems like something to think about.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cannot add workspaces with sawfish
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:50:17 GMT

I am running RH6.1 + Gnome + sawfish-0.30.2-1. Currently, I have only
one workspace. When I try to add workspaces in Control center -> Sawfish
window manager -> Workspaces, the system returns ** unknown widget **
under the workspace tab. If I try to push the insert button in that
menu, it returns a beep and nothing happen.

How to solve that problem?

From: John Broadhead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:09:02 -0600

David Steuber wrote:
> Another problem I had was with the UDMA/66 (AKA Utral ATA/66 IDE)
> ribbon cable that comes with the board.  One of the wires was cut.  I

Actually don't get mad about this if it's a UDMA-66 cable. For some
strange reason that's how they're supposed to be.

-John