  Re: Crystal soundcard, anyone? (**Nick Brown)

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: PPP tantrums
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:33:38 +0400

Folks, here's a  bugger:

A week back,  my ppp connection was still perfect until recently
when I heard from a friend that my ISP was undergoing some
system upgrade and the reason at times I can't make a connection.
Just last night when the connection was back and my nightmare
started. I tried to dial my ISP as usual via my kppp and everything
seems to
be okay except that when I check the details of my kppp, the remote
IP address (ISP)  is  okay but the local address set,  is my own IP
address  I assigned for my hostname. This really baffles me. How come?

// this is my /etc/hosts file: //

127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.53.1         wildfire.yibal     wildfire

// this is the message from my /var/log/messages //

May 19 05:55:34 wildfire pppd[863]: local  IP address 192.168.53.1
May 19 05:55:34 wildfire pppd[863]: remote IP address 212.72.1.2
May 19 05:55:42 wildfire pppd[863]: Terminating on signal 15.
May 19 05:55:42 wildfire pppd[863]: Connection terminated.

As you can see from above   212.72.1.2 is my ISP's IP address.
I can't do any Interneting at all with these.

Now, I tried to experiment with putting a comment on the  line ...

# 192.168.53.1          wildfire.yibal     wildfire

in my /etc/hosts  to disable this temporarily.

When I reconnected and my log looked like these;

May 19 18:46:35 wildfire pppd[1076]: pppd 2.3.5 started by buddy, uid
500
May 19 18:46:35 wildfire pppd[1076]: Using interface ppp0
May 19 18:46:35 wildfire pppd[1076]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
May 19 18:46:44 wildfire pppd[1076]: Remote message:
May 19 18:46:45 wildfire kernel: PPP BSD Compression module registered
May 19 18:46:45 wildfire kernel: PPP Deflate Compression module
registered
May 19 18:46:48 wildfire pppd[1076]: local  IP address 212.72.2.80
May 19 18:46:48 wildfire pppd[1076]: remote IP address 212.72.1.1

See! I can be assigned a local IP address from my ISP and my Internet
connection is back to normal.

My problem now is that my /etc/hosts file is altered and it also
cripples my Samba stuff. Is there a remedy for this small problem?
Do I have to make changes to my /etc/ppp/options file now that
I suspect that it has to do with my ISP's upgrade.
So many thanks in advance.

Ferdinand

++++++++++++++++++

See no Microsoft.
Hear no Microsoft.
Speak no Microsoft.

++++++++++++++++++

------------------------------

From: Kevin Power <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wyse50 emulation how is it done?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:07:00 -0600

Hello
I am currently running REDHAT 5.1 and X-windows, I would really like to
run telnet in a Wyse50 or 60 emulation so that I could hookup to an old
AIX system where I have to use a Equipment maintenace system.
How is this done?
Thanks
Kev

------------------------------

From: Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Root Password lost...
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:41:45 +0000

==============FB17CBC8761CE195F6EA5C2B

Beni Huber wrote:

> Argh! It really has happened. We forgot our root password.
>
> Please have a heavy laugh.
>
> We'll probably have to reinstall Linux. Is there a way to just replace
> some of the components or does it
> have to be a complete reinstall?
>
> Is there another way to get at the password? We have RH 5.2 with shadow
> passwords on. We still have
> user access.
>
> Thanx a lot,
>
> Beni
>
> -----
> Beni Huber
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -----

Hi Beni..

Just reboot and at the lilo prompt type "linux single"..this will start
you up as root in "single-user' mode..no passwd required.
Then just use the passwd command to set a new passwd.

Jim

Jim Chisholm
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
http://electron.phys.dal.ca
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Lieutenant #2 Bay Road Station 59
http://www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/HalifaxNSCA

==============FB17CBC8761CE195F6EA5C2B

Beni Huber wrote:
password.
Hi Beni..
you up as root in "single-user' mode..no passwd required.
<pre>--&nbsp;

=======================================================&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Jim
Chisholm&nbsp;<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S.
Canada&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A HREF="http://electron.phys.dal.ca">http://electron.phys.dal.ca</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service&nbsp;
Lieutenant #2 Bay Road Station 59
<A
HREF="http://www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/HalifaxNSCA">http://www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/HalifaxNSCA</A>
=======================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Beni Huber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Root Password lost...
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:55:30 +0200

Argh! It really has happened. We forgot our root password.

Please have a heavy laugh.

We'll probably have to reinstall Linux. Is there a way to just replace
some of the components or does it
have to be a complete reinstall?

Is there another way to get at the password? We have RH 5.2 with shadow
passwords on. We still have
user access.

Thanx a lot,

Beni

=====
Beni Huber
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
=====

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop Modem
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:22:48 +0200

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Sully) wrote:

> Hi all-
>       I'm trying to set up PPP on my Compaq laptop, which has an
> integrated 56K modem.  Initially, it was set to some odd memory addresses
> (it has two, now set to 2F8 and 1400h, IRQ3).  I can't get Linux to operate
> it, even as root - it keeps coming back with "Modem is busy", even as root.
> Any ideas?  It works with Windoze.  Thanks.

This is a so called WinModem. If you would like to use a modem and get internet
access, buy a PCMCIA modem that supports also Dos programs. If it does, it will
work under Linux. I had the same problem, bought a Wysecom 56k modem and now
it's ok.
=\ Acorn RiscPC, StrongARM @202MHz - Intel Outside /=
... Shh! Be vewy quiet, I'm hunting wuntime errors!

From: Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DDS-3 DAT drive
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:44:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> and

> Do you have 'st' (SCSI Tape) support either compiled-in or as a
> loadable module.  Check it with 'lsmod'.

It is compiled in.  I don't have any modules compiled (nor do I have
support for modules compiled in to the kernel).

> Also, you can use 'script' to capture output to a file then edit and
> post it.  Include 'dmesg', 'lsmod', exact error message give, ... .

Will do.

Christopher Mauritz

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:31:44 -0400
From: "Gary S. Mackay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Version of kernel

uname -srv will give the build date/time also.

--
Edison Information Technologies
P.O. Box 554

From: schrammel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GCC as crosscompiler to create Win95/DOS7.0 executables
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:44:31 +0200

Hi,

is there an easy way to force gcc to create executables for
DOS7.0(Win95), a command line option for example?
I donīt like to shutdown my linux and boot Win95 where iīve got a
compiler.

thanks
Joerg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Dumping Linux Installation Screens
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:58:13 GMT

I am writing a guide on how to install Linux and I
need to dump the installation screens to include
them in my document.

I tried using a terminal connected to a PC so that
I could use win image grabber programs but could
not successfully establish a serial connection
between the two machines.

Does anybody have any idea on how this can be
done?

Thanks a lot,

Rubens

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Subject: Re: * * * Mindcraft offer to re-run Linux vs NT test
Date: 20 May 1999 12:17:04 GMT

Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Btw... This is damn good that Linus has not accepted a job offer from RH
>(and it is sad he makes it public that he prefers RH to others).

No reason to shed tears. He recently said on linux-kernel:
:Actually, I use a pretty much out-of-the-box SuSE install at home, and a
:RedHat install at work. Basically the only thing I ever upgrade is my
:kernel (surprise, surprise), and the editor I use (microemacs - not
:included in any of the distributions, but obviously the best editor out
:there (tm)).

Go figure...
Cheers
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Unclebob)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.3 mystery
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:55:14 GMT

On or about Thu, 20 May 1999 06:12:46 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
=>I changed it because I got statements from Linux, advicing me to do so.
=>Something about cua0 being obsolete.
=>Yup, I have a serial mouse.
=>> If it works don't fix it.
=>But I'm curious...

That's the only way to do it,
fix it until it no longer works.
Happiness is when absolutely
nothing works except a clean install.

--
unclebob 'your shorts' @theramp.net
drop your shorts to send me email.

'idiot box (id'ee-ut) n. singular'
'linux box connected to an idiot.'

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Win NT and Linux dual boot
Date: 20 May 1999 12:41:42 GMT

Phil Olivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,

>     I have installed Windows NT 4.0 workstation and Redhat Linux 5.2
> but the first boot after Linux installation,  the system hanged after
> showing a display of "LIL".....   Any idea why?  E-mail me the solution
> at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thank you

First of all, newsgroup questions get newsgroup answers, for all to see.

Most likely, you only have one hard drive and installed Win NT, then
Linux.  Lastly, and your fatal error, you installed LILO on the MBR.
The recovery procedure is:

1) Find/make a DOS boot disk with the fdisk utility on it.  Boot with it,
and run 'fdisk /mbr'.  This wipes LILO off of your mbr.

2) Go to <http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader>
and follow the instructions for adding Linux to the NT Boot Loader menu.

You did make a boot disk when you installed Linux, right?

www.deja.com is a wonderful place to find answers to oft asked questions
like this one...

--
====================================
Joshua Baker-LePain

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PPP tantrums
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:30:08 +0100

In your ppp options, include the line:
212.72.2.80:212.72.1.1

This sets the local:remote IP address.

Check this with a "man pppd"

gus

------------------------------

From: Alistair Cunningham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.help,linux.news.groups,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: 20 May 1999 13:05:55 GMT

In uk.comp.os.linux Phil Bousfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (1) What is the right model(s) for a commercial company to market Linux
> products in the storage management space?

That depends on the relative merits to you of:

1. Generating a revenue stream.

2. Achieving market penetration.

If 2 is important, GPL is the way to go. This will give you a very
large number of users. You can then sell them support, documentation,
fancy packaging, etc. You also gain the good will of the Open source
community, who will probably contribute bug reports, patches, etc. Do
not under-estimate the selling power of fancy packaging. Business
users want the fuzzy feeling that paying large amounts for software
brings them, in that they feel that they have support. This is how the
commercial distributions, such as Redhat, make their living.

If all you care about is earning revenue, the best model is probably
that of the Open source sound modules (www.4front-tech.com/), or the
Aladdin ghostscript program - release a program that needs
subscription to use. Release old versions under the GPL to help your
user base grow. Beware that if your program is very successful, people
will produce a truly free clone.

> (2) What model(s) should we avoid?

If you're going to claim that your program is 'Open source', do it
right. Don't do what Apple did, and claimed that their product was
open source, and then put in lots of clauses limiting what can be done
with the code. This made them very unpopular. Either a truly open
license, such as GPL, or commercial - not in between.

> (3) What source code access is appropriate or necessary?

Linux is still a young product, and developing quickly. If you don't
release source code, you're going to have to release new binaries
often to handle things like new kernel versions, and the change from
libc5 to glib2, and so on. In addition, releasing source code will
allow distributions to include your program seamlessly, if you release
your program under an open license. I'm a Debian developer, and I can
tell that we often tune the source code of a package, and contribute
our changes to the upstream author (you).

You'll probably find that releasing source code is a positive
experience for both you and your customers. You gain the good will of
the Linux community, and they gain the ability to tune the software to
their needs, and contribute back to you.

Of course, if you choose a closed license, you can't really release
source code.

Above all, please don't do as Apple or Troll Tech have done, and
released the source code, but under limited conditions. This won't gain
anyone very much, especially you.

Alistair Cunningham.

  Alistair Cunningham     Selwyn College, Cambridge     Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SETI comparisons
Date: 20 May 1999 12:36:00 GMT

Carl Hilinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For those of you who don't know, you can participate in the Search for
> Extraterrestrial Intelligence (God knows you won't find any of that around
> here) by going to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. What you get is a
> 107-second chunk of space chatter for your computer to chomp on while it's
> not working for you.

> It's quite an eye-opener as related to processors and computing power. My
> 350PII with 64mb took 43 hours to work on this running Win98. My Linux box,
> running a Cyrix 233MMX with 64mb, took only 23 hours to do its chunk.

Ok -- this is fun.  I've got dual PII450's and 512MB of RAM.  I always
have two client processes running nice'd to 15.  Using the glibc1 version
of the client, my work-units take about 9.5-10 hours.  I haven't left
my machine in NT long enough to let it finish a work unit yet, although
it would be interesting since the client maxes out both CPU's under NT.

The other fun thing to note is that while Linux is still fully responsive
with two clients running, NT is _very_ noticeably laggy with the client
running.  To be able to work at all, I had to limit the process to one
CPU.  I'll have to try lowering the priority of the client while leaving it
on both CPU's and seeing if that makes any difference...

--
====================================

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Linux or linux?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:50:16 +0100

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Ben Short wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Working on a IS assignment, about an Open Document Management System, and
> the back end of the database can be ported to UNIX or _Linux_.
>
> It may be a stupid question, but I have to get it right. Is it "Linux" or
> "linux".
Some would say that it's GNU/Linux.

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [?] problem w/ TeX under RH 6.0
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:39:36 +0100

This is sounding more and more like Micros~1 Windows every day!

Mark.

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crystal soundcard, anyone?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:14:54 +0200

Try the CS543x drivers.

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I've never been able to get my soundcard working with Linux.  It's
> supposedly a Crystal PNP 16-bit or something, which came with an AST.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html