Linux-Misc Digest #272, Volume #19                Tue, 2 Mar 99 23:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Netscape goes to sleep (Marc Blum)
  Modem problem, help! ("Edgar Manik")
  Re: PnP & Yamaha OPL-SA: Can't find it... (J Sako)
  Port redirection in C question ("David Sisk")
  Re: Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support) ("Jeraimee")
  Re: Need to capture the 'raw' mouse under X (Sami Tikka)
  damn bastards ("Mr. Tinkertrain")
  Re: Which scanner for Linux? (Rob O'Connell)
  Re: Compile problems with RedHat 5.2 ("Mr. Tinkertrain")
  Faxing with mgetty+sendfax (.gs to .g3 translation?) ("Peter Caffin")
  Re: Create a DOS bootdisk in using only Linux (Walter Strong)
  Re: AOL Instant Messanger (Mykool)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Jim McCusker)
  Re: Epson Stylus 640 driver (Bob Tennent)
  Re: Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support) (Kyler Laird)
  Re: Cable Modems with Linux (Jeff Maynard)
  Re: PnP & Yamaha OPL-SA: Can't find it... ("Thomas T. Veldhouse")
  Re: Serial terminal ("Peter Caffin")
  Anybody have the WP8 fonts? (ANDREW R. POST)
  Re: Problems with NE1000 (Nathan)
  PPP + Laptop + Desktop ("Panos")
  Re: Public license question (Rick Onanian)
  Re: PPP connection can't use Netscape, ping, etc. (Bill Unruh)

From: Marc Blum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape goes to sleep
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:52:23 -0600

When I'm on line with netscape 4.0 in Linux suse 5.3 Netscape seems to
go to sleep. I can pick up the phone, the line is still connected, but I
hear the beeping and other noises that go with connecting to the net. Is
there some setting that I've missed?
Another problem that I'm experiencing is that Netscape doesn't
disconnect when I close the program. The only way to disconnect is to
close Linux. Hope someone can help. No experience with Linux so please
keep any answers simple. Thank you.

------------------------------

From: "Edgar Manik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem problem, help!
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 05:12:14 +0700

Hi all,

I have a 3Com 56K Voice Faxmodem Ext. Eversince I installed the modem, I
could no longer connect to internet under Linux (kernel 2.0.36 and 2.2.x).
After the modem finished dialing to my ISP, it acted as if it's connected,
but when I checked using route and ifconfig, there's no ppp0 device. It
never happened before when I was still using Sportster 33k internal. Please
mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cheers,

Ed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:24:06 -0600
From: J Sako <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: PnP & Yamaha OPL-SA: Can't find it...

Todd Ostermeier wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Jerry Lynn Kreps wrote:
>
> : J Sako wrote:
> : >
> : > I'm trying to configure sound for a Yamaha OPL3-SA card, but I cannot
> : > get PnP to see the card. A pnpdump does not pick it up - nothing shows
> : > except my modem. When I try to configure it manually by adding the
> : > following (which I got from the Win95 settings) to isapnp.conf:
> : >
> : > (CONFIGURE YMH0800/-1 (LD 0
> : >    (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
> : >    (IO 1 (BASE 0x0530))
> : >    (IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))
> : >    (IO 3 (BASE 0x0330))
> : >    (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
> : >    (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
> : >    (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 1))
> : >    (ACT Y)
> : > ))
> :
> : You easiest solution is to disable your modular sound, get the free copy
> : of OSSound and install it.  Works great.  I use it to fire my Sony VAIO
> : sound chip, which is also an Yamha OPL-SA.  Don't be suprised when  a
> : msg tells you that your sound card (chip) is several years old and that
> : stereo sound recording is not possible.)
> :
>
> I have the same on an old HP board (Pavilion model), and using the MSS
> driver in the kernel works beautifully (in 16 bit, stereo mode, too).  I
> also noticed that the MSS driver quality seems a lot better in the 2.2.x
> kernels.
>
> ________________________________
>
> Todd Ostermeier
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ostermer/index.html
> ICQ UIN: 2253928
> A-723
> ________________________________

Sound can be configured without getting the card set up in PnP? I had thought
that before I could do ANY monkeying around with sound drivers, I had to get
the thing set up in PnP first. Am I mistaken?

BTW - Thanks for all the responses to this posting. I've got everything I
want set up but sound...

------------------------------

From: "David Sisk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Port redirection in C question
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:00:03 -0500

Is there a/what is the system call in Linux (from C) to redirect an INET
socket request to a socket server listening on a different port?

For instance, say you have a socket server listening on port 2000 and a
different socket server listening on port 2001.  A socket connection request
from a client shows up at port 2000.  How can the socket server listening on
port 2000 send the request to the socket server listening on port 2001?

I can think of one way to do this:  let the client connect to the server on
port 2000, have the server on port 2000 send it the port number to connect
to, then have the client disconnect from the server on port 2000 and
reconnect to the server on port 2001.

Is there a way to accomplish the same effect without having the network
round trip?  (I think there is, I just don't know it!)

Please respond via email as well as posting if you would be so kind.

Thanks and regards,

--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site

------------------------------

From: "Jeraimee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:40:50 -0500

I have used LinuxCare - back when they started... If they have kept down the
same road then they are some of the best... if they have done the "we are a
big important company now" thing than... I don't know...

>From what I understand they have kept themselfs grounded though...

Jeraimee

------------------------------

From: Sami Tikka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Need to capture the 'raw' mouse under X
Date: 02 Mar 1999 00:51:05 +0200

Connect the X server and ask it to send you MotionNotify events from
the root window. That way you'll get them everywhere the mouse might
go.
--
Sami Tikka, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.iki.fi/sti/

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Tinkertrain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: damn bastards
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:29:28 -0500

(feel free to completely ignore and disregard this message)

i hate those morons who say 'x-windows' instead of 'x-window'.  ignorant
fools.
also, those dumbasses who say 'LIEnux' instead of 'LIHnux'... what the
FUCK?!  and you try to convince em that they've got it all wrong and
they just won't listen... bastards.  execute em all!!

just my 2 cents. not that anyone should give a fuck or anything!

------------------------------

From: Rob O'Connell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which scanner for Linux?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:26:08 -0600

goto
 http://www.mostang.com/sane/
for all software and info 8-)

these guys list all the hardware and how well it works.
for what its worth our UMAX1200S (I think) works great with sane.

good luck
Rob

--
Rob O'Connell - "Work is the curse of the drinking class" - Oscar Wilde
lab#: (608) 2659467 mob#: (608) 3473838 home#: (608) 2519918

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Tinkertrain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compile problems with RedHat 5.2
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:30:58 -0500

maybe you download get the new version of gcc or something

------------------------------

From: "Peter Caffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Faxing with mgetty+sendfax (.gs to .g3 translation?)
Date: 3 Mar 1999 02:26:26 GMT

I'm trying to get us to where we can output a Ghostscript file from
StarOffice or Netscape or whatever and then invoke a CGI program which
I'll write (calling however many translation programs I need to in series
to get it going) to translate a file.gs to file.g3 so it can be faxed.

The intermediate steps of .g3 to .pbm, and .pbm to .xbm, are fine, so I
could even use something that translates from .gs to any of those formats.
I have a niggling feeling that Ghostview might be able to do some of this,
but, I haven't found anything on it in the docs.

The idea behind it all is to end up with the benefits of mgetty+sendfax
(ie, being able to use the same line as dial-out, dial-in and fax-in) with
the ability to fax documents from our .gs outputting office apps .

If I'm going about this in a completely stupid way, please let me know :).

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |            it.net.au/~pc |
/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: Create a DOS bootdisk in using only Linux
Date: 3 Mar 1999 02:30:34 GMT

Yes, you're correct.  "error -- non-system disk.  Replace and stike any
key to continue".  Forgot all about that.

Adrian Hawkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I'm not sure if that would work or not.  I always though a special sector
: had to be written on the disk so that the BIOS knows its bootable.  In any
: case, I have a 100% Linux box, so it doesn't have a DOS partition or any
: DOS files on it, unless you consider DOSEMU to be some sort of mutated form
: of DOS.  Thus I was wondering if there was a disk image available, similar
: to those that create Linux boot disks - except the one I'm looking for would
: boot up MSDOS.

: Walter Strong wrote:

: > Adrian Hawkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: > : Is it possible to create a MSDOS bootdisk using Linux only?  Is there a
: > : boot image out there to do this?  Or are you better off finding a
: > : DOS-box and creating one there?
: >
: > Isn't a Dos bootdisk just dos formatted disk with the system files copied
: > onto it?  If so, you could make your own.  I forget what files get copied
: > onto a Dos bootdisk, command.com, some utilities, whatever else.  Just
: > mcopy the appropriate files from a dos partition to a dos disk and you
: > should have a bootdisk.

------------------------------

From: Mykool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOL Instant Messanger
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 02:36:26 +0000

Are you trying to install Java AIM?  If so, why?  Download Tik, the unix
version.  I've been using it for the past few months and works
perfectly.

--
Michael Barnhill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jim McCusker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 14:02:12 -0500

JACK wrote:

> >You want personal testimony? I was using an Compaq NT machine to develop
> >an Access database. I made a nice little splash screen to replace
> >Access's, and when I wen t to run it, it chocked on the splash screen.
> >Simple little .bmp file, BSOD.
> >
> >Also, a week later, the machine would randomly BSOD in the middle of my
> >working. No connection between the events. Sometimes I would be
> >videoconferencing, sometimes I would be web surfing, sometimes I would
> >be developing. That does not sound like a stable OS to me.
> >
> sounds to me llike bad vid drivers this sort of thing happens in  all Ms
> OS's

Yes, it does sound like a bad video driver. But hell, it was just a
stupid bitmap.

And no way of figureing out what went wrong. No source, no solution.

Jim
--
    Jim McCusker | Class of '99, BA Computer Science & Cognitive Science
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://cif.rochester.edu/~fprefect

------------------------------

From: r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus 640 driver
Date: 2 Mar 1999 18:34:23 GMT

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:01:53 -0500, Jeff Letendre wrote:
 >Anyone know where I can get a linux driver for a Stylus 640?  The driver
 >that ships w/ Red Hat only has a resolution up to 360 dpi.

You need the uniprint driver in ghostscript.  Install
ghostscript 5.50, printtool-3.40 and rhs-printfilters-1.50.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kyler Laird)
Date: 2 Mar 1999 18:18:31 GMT

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>kyler writes:
>> Doesn't it seem strange that Red Hat isn't willing to take *$50* directly
>> from me in exchange for support?

>What seems even stranger is that you are not willing to offer the $50 to
>somebody else for the support.

Worse, it's not strange at all that you'd jump into
this thread with a comment that shows you clearly
didn't previous messages in the thread.

BTW, anyone try LinuxCare?  I didn't find their
prices online.  I'm assuming they're made up as they
go along.

--kyler

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Cable Modems with Linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Maynard)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 03:07:59 GMT

These comments are most likely false.  I have done som very interesting things
with my cable modem.  Currently, I have 2 registered IP address's from TCI
being used on 2 different machines using 1 cable modem.  I have also used 2
machines proxied through 1 machine and even cheated and used a made up address
(not recommended as it could cause you to have your access revoked) and all of
these worked fine.

Do some research.  Talk to cable modem customers like me.  I am thinking about
moving to a new house and wont even consider anywhere where cable modem access
is not available.

says...

------------------------------

From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:18:15 -0600

>A stupid question. How can I check this and where do I set it? At the
>interrupted boot BIOS screen? This is dual boot machine (linux/windows)
Will
>this effect win95?

Yep!!!  Sometimes it is OK, and other times you are forced to reinstall many
of the drivers (remove and refresh).  Usually it is not much of a deal
though.

Tom Veldhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS.  I NEVER turn PNP OS on.

------------------------------

From: "Peter Caffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial terminal
Date: 3 Mar 1999 03:03:59 GMT

Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For my new box, perhaps I'd like to have a serial terminal hooked up
> to the free RS232 port. Thus, I've got some questions.
> 1. Which terminal do you recommend?

It depends on where it's going.

If you can trust your users not to be idiots, go for a terminal emulator
on DOS or Linux. C-Kermit is available for both and does the job quite
nicely.

If the terminal is in any sort of public space, your best option is
probably a Termtek TK-625. Turn them on, hit RETURN and you've got a
login prompt. They're configurable to a number of different text
resolutions and terminal types.

We use them at the company I work for. They survive some pretty horrid
conditions.

> 2. Where do I get one, cheap, preferably in Germany?

No idea about Germany. http://www.termtek.com.tw/TK-625.htm has info on
the terminal though. There's probably a link somewhere at that site for
purchase info.

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |            it.net.au/~pc |
/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ANDREW R. POST)
Subject: Anybody have the WP8 fonts?
Date: 2 Mar 1999 19:38:32 GMT

Has anyone bought a copy of WP8 that actually included the fonts? I'm
curious, because my copy that I bought a few weeks ago didn't include any
fonts except the ones that also came with the free download. I contacted
corel, and they sent me a second CD that contained more clipart than I
could ever use but still contained NO FONTS. Corel has been giving me the
runaround about it. Even the people at technical support who acknoledge
the problem have no idea when Corel is going to get around to correcting
it. So, I was wondering if there are copies of it out that contain the
fonts, so I can circumvent the mess that is Corel technical support,
return the copy I have, and buy a new one.

Thanks!

Andrew Post

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 14:36:06 -0500
From: Nathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with NE1000

Or, maybe you compiled this card as a module.  If so, you'll need to update
your /etc/conf.modules so that an alias points to this module.  The alias name
is eth0 if I remember correctly and I have no clue what the module would be
called, but you should be able to determine that by poking around in
/lib/modules/.  The module name should be something like ne1000.o or something
similar.  Then you put the line

alias eth0 ne1000

in your /etc/conf.modules.  If you didn't compile it as a module, then
nevermind.

------------------------------

From: "Panos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: PPP + Laptop + Desktop
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:42:08 -0800

I am running RH5.2 on my desktop and NT4.0 on my laptop. Is there some whay
that I can access the HD of the laptop from the desktop? I already did that
using a crossover wire but not using linux(between NT&95). Also, whould that
cause any conflicts with my PPP connection?

Please direct me to some reading material/FAQ if available.

Thanks
Panos

------------------------------

From: Rick Onanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 14:36:48 -0500

brian moore wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:43:15 -0500,
>  Rick Onanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > As I understand it...The GPL is really not able to be enforced by
> > anyone. I get the feeling the the FSF doesn't have the money to take
> > anyone to court over a gpl violation...I also get the feeling that
> > maybe noone really cares too much - the gpl is more a matter of intent
> > than technicality. If you write a program and GPL it, do you necesarily
> > make a registered copyright? Or do you just release it and hope or not
> > care..
>
> Then you don't understand it.

Agreed. Noone else seemed to be helping any more than me, tho, so I
figured I could at least spark some discussion.

> Hint: do you think NeXT released their modifications to gcc for
> 'objective C' because of warm fuzzy feelings?

These ideas, in part, come from previous posts involving WordPerfect,
StarOffice, and other non GPL'd programs available for Linux.

> The Free Software Foundation does have lawyers, and they do pursue
> license violations on code they control.

I did not know they even had much money. I got the feeling that they
didn't.

> That said, they don't control the Linux kernel.

Or much of the other GPL'd software.

> > I'm afraid that, if they wanted to, MS could just take Debian,
> > remove any references to GPL and remove all source code, write
> > Microsoft all over it, sell it, and there is no specific legal
> > ramification. Although, the linux community would backlash and
> > it would flop... There's no law involved in any of this, AFAIK.
>
> Copyright law isn't law?

Please read more carefully. "I'm afraid that" means that I fear what
they could do.

> That would be precisely as legal as duping Windows CD's: not.
>
> Please stop practicing law without training.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to obtain an actual copyright on
something, you have to register it with some authority? Probably,
some government?

I have been told that you can copyright something simply by saying
copyright all over it, however, I don't know how that would hold in
a court of law.

That being said, how many parts of any given distribution of Linux
have real copyrights? I would venture to guess that much of GPL'd
software out there is not really copyrighted.

I do not claim to know law, or programming, for that matter. I do
not practice law; rather, I offer my opinions from a point of view
that I believe to be [very] slightly more informed than those who
ask.

--
  rick - a guy in search of raw (ISO) cd images of SuSE and Slackware
===============

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP connection can't use Netscape, ping, etc.
Date: 2 Mar 1999 18:18:48 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Jeff Letendre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>My modem dials my ISP (which supports Linux) and maintains the
>connection.  However, I can't use any TCP/IP utils (such as Netscape and
>ping).  I'm pretty sure I followed the setup instructions.

Are you sure you have a ppp connection?
What is in your /etc/resolv.conf file?
can you ping any of the IP addresses in the /etc/resolv.conf file
can you ping 137.82.43.58?
If none of those work, you do not have a ppp connection.
See
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for detailed instructions.