  Ok...need help with Banshee XF86Config] (Don Whitlow)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (william henry hsu)
Crossposted-To:
rec.games.roguelike.angband,comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Reattaching orphaned interactive processes
Date: 20 Jun 1999 07:00:20 GMT

        Thanks to all who answered my post.  I was able to solve the problem
for this particular interactive process thanks to Ben's panic save code.

"Ben Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>If you did not compile with "-g", you may be in trouble.  :-)

        I did compile with "-g", but I'd still have been in trouble because my
modified sources got wiped out...

>Out of curiosity, what does the stack dump look like when you attach?

        ... so I could reattach, but my stack trace was empty:

        (gdb) bt
        #0  0x0 in ?? ()

        I was certainly ready to write this particular session off as a lost
cause, but I'd still like to know how to prepare for the lost-of-terminal
contingency (assuming "screen" was not wrapped around the interactive
process at runtime).

>It might be possible to simply insert keypress events into the queue
>and trick the code into accepting them.
>
>If not, you could probably do a direct call to the "save" code.

        Thanks, I'll keep these in mind for next time.

>And if all else fails, send a SIGKILL to the process and hope that
>the panic save code works when the terminal is gone....

>--- Ben ---

        I fired up some test proceses, killed the terminal, and sent them all
manner of signals.  Results:

SIGHUP  - keeps on going, no panic save
SIGINT  - keeps on going, no panic save
SIGQUIT - keeps on going, no panic save

SIGKILL - dies, no panic save

SIGBUS - woo-HOO! dies, panic saves

        Moral: if all else fails, simulate a core dump.  :-)

Aure entuluva,
Bill

                JABBA THE HUTT: One Meal
 "Food... food attracts the hungry; the fat, the thin;
  the gourmand, the glutton.  Food... food is my ally."

    -==============||\\\\|#|||#|////||==============-

  Lightsaber Resources: http://lightsaber.ncsa.uiuc.edu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Warning! wu-ftpd-2.4.x is INSECURE, Re: ftp quickie
Date: 16 Jun 1999 20:18:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lyndon Hills wrote:
>Andrew Hughes wrote:
>>
>> I have an ftp site using wu.ftpd (standard ftp deamon which is shipped
>> with redhat)

Beware!  All versions of wu-ftpd below 2.5.0 have a terrible
security defect.  Exploits are well known.
The defective versions were shipped in most Linux distros; check yours.

Beware!  When Washington University maintained wu-ftpd they established
a large network of mirrors.  When WU stopped working on wu-ftpd,
most mirrors simply froze.  So an archie search for wu-ftpd will probably
get you an obsolete version.

For EXAMPLE,
http://metalab.unc.edu/ -
pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ -
wu-ftpd-2.4.2vr17-3.i386.rpm (19 Apr '99) is BAD!

The current wu-ftpd is at ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/.
You don't need an .rpm file, just grab the source, which compiles
easily and correctly.
Or go to ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/binaries/intel/linux/redhat/
or ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.0/i386/wu-ftpd-2.5.0-2.i386.rpm
if you can't be bothered to read a README and run a make.

Do not leave wu-ftpd-2.4.x running on a computer exposed to the Internet.
You *will* be exploited by script kiddies scanning for potential
Eggdrop/warez hosts.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: "ljp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Shared libraries: DLL hell for Linux
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:02:44 -0600

This happens on every OS there is. Libraries get upgraded, and often are not
compatable with older libs.
MS is always adding new versions of vbruntimes, and mfc libs. Linux libs are
just upgraded more often. There are multiple libs around because you don't
want your apps to be broken that make a call to libglib.so.1.0.4, when you
have upgraded to libglib.so.1.0.6. It would be nice if there was a way to
get the dependancies from a rpm installation so there would be no surprises.
Its one thing I think is missing from the package installers, and also the
tarball variety oftentimes.
LP

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DIVX SUCKS)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: DIVX is now dead --- Circuit City gives up after a year of brainwashing
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:37:18 GMT

                As of today 6/16/99,  Circuit City's evil greedy pay
per view DVD format known as DIVX is out of business.  They have
discontinued operations and will be offering some refunds to
customers.  I suggest that if you bought one of their (BETA) DIVX
machines that you try to get your money back.  And all your DIVX
encrypted discs that can not play on any other machine that you try to
get a refund for them as well.   In the next few days much info will
be posted on the anti-divx sites on how to ask for your refund and
what you should do now.

        If you own DVD then today is a great day for you.  From now on
their should be no DIVX exclusive titles.  If a movie studio wants
your money they are going to have to let you own your movies and not
just rent them.  Sorry Circuit City. Movies like Titanic are now
available on DVD and hopefully some of the good ones we have all been
waiting for will soon be on DVD.

        More Information:
        http://www.fightdivx.com/
        http://www.divx.com/
        http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2276806,00.html

        DVD Deals
        http://www.fightdivx.com/dvd-deals.htm

------------------------------

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: 20 Jun 1999 09:41:04 +0200

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > small arms did bring democracy to europe.  feudalism came before.
> >
> > Tell that to the Greek.  They will be disappointed to hear that
> > feudalism came before ancient Greece and Athens.  And what small arms
> > exactly started democracy atseveral hundred years BC did you say?
>
> the greeks in athens had a democracy of sorts, but most people were
> not full citizens.

They were merely having a green card and necessary for chores few other
people wanted?  Of course this is *utterly* different from how things
work today.

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: Dave Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel panic:  No init found.  THANKS STAROFFICE!
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:48:03 -0700

The Damons wrote:

> I am have the same problem as Noah M below, only worse.  Right now I
> cannot get into my linux system at all.  I followed the installation
> instructions for StarOffice to the letter, and had the same experience
> that Noah M. had.
>
> I do not want to reinstall RH 6.0; I just spent 3 hours with a bunch of
> linux gurus at a local linux installfest getting this system to work
> right (sound card, zip drive, etc...)
>
> How can I recover from this nightmare without reinstalling linux
> completely?

>snippage<

>                     Thanks,
>                     Noah M.

Noah,
If you can boot from the RH CD, do so.  Choose the Upgrade option and pick
the glibc and comp-lib files to update.  Do not change or reformat any
partition.  This will re-create the links you need to reboot.  HTH
Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian Ahkman)
Subject: JDK on Linux
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 06:40:06 GMT

Is anyone running Blackdown JDK 1.2?  Is it stable, buggy?  I've heard
that it isn't quite up to par yet.  I'm trying to figure out which JDK
version to install on my rh 5.1 box.

Suggestions?

thanks

christian ahkman

------------------------------

From: Justin Vallon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux uid limits!
Date: 20 Jun 1999 02:11:34 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson) writes:

> Nope.  I cannot quote chapter and verse, but I think ANSI (and ISO, by
> extension (no pun intended)) says something like this:
>
>   sizeof(char)==1

I think sizeof(X) returns the sizeof an object of type X in chars, so
this is essentially the definition of sizeof().

>   sizeof(short int) >= 2
>   sizeof(int) >= 2

I don't think so.  You could have 8-bit short, 8-bit int, 8-bit long.

>   sizeof(long int) >= sizeof(int) >= sizeof(short int)

This is true.  I believe this is the only guarantee.

>   sizeof(long long int) is undefined since `long long int' is undefined
>
> I understand C9X, bowing to popular convention, will define `long long
> int' to 64 bits, or at least define it at all.  Currently it's a GNU C
> (and maybe others) extension, not a standard.

[ I've used it on Solaris. ]  The only thing a standards organization
will say, most likely, is that sizeof(long long int) >= sizeof(long
int).

> Common practice on many Unices is to make `int' 32 bits (because too
> much software depends on this) and `long' your biggest machine word.
      ^ "poorly written", that is
> So if you want to use the most natural word size for your target
> machine, you should use a `long', though `int' should be reasonably
> efficient in most cases.

int is typically the most-natural integer on a machine.  Most Unix
machines have processors whose natural int size is 32 bits.

If a program breaks because int is 64 bits, that is your problem, not
the compiler's problem.

Also, most compilers with 64 bit ints will have an -int64 or -int32
compile flag for, among other things, backward compatibility with
older code, support for broken legacy code, etc.

A problem with 64-bit ints is that if 32-bit ints are also an option,
alternate system libraries would be required.  Then, you need
alternate X libraries, etc.  That could quickly become un-fun.

--
-Justin

From: Andy Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: linux on 386
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 01:38:23 -0500

Stefano Ghirlanda wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I happen to have an 386 with which I would like to do something useful,
> but mostly play with :-)
>
> Now, I still have to open it to see what's inside (got it from a friend
> for free) but I would like to know if there is some info about minimum
> hardware requirements to run a simple linux system.
>
> My plan is to use it as a loghost for a small network (5-6 machines) so
> that it should only allow syslogd or simlar connections and from these
> machines only. There doesn't need to be any X or fancy stuff or even user
> programs beyond what's needed to examine the logfiles.
>
> Any suggestions or pointers are welcome...
> thanks a lot,
> Stefano
>
> --
>  Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
>     Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
> Phone: +46 8 164055, Fax: +46 8 167715, Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se

I've run linux on a 386/25 with 4mb of ram.  It was painfully slow and I
ended up scraping the machine.  You'd probably want to recompile
your kernel and try to keep things lean.  The biggest problem I had
was with disk space.  I was trying to install redhat5.1 on a 119MB drive.
For some reason the install script HAD to install perl and several other
things that I didn't want.  I think the absolute minimum is 2mb of ram.
I would guess that compiling your drivers into the kernel would speed
up the time to boot.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Andy

------------------------------

From: Frederic L. W. Meunier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 and Gnome:  Help to make it look less like windows!!!!
Date: 20 Jun 1999 07:21:50 GMT

Just do that:
~# echo twm > ~/.xinitrc;startx
And you have a K-Lame WindowManager. Or just ignore startx and use the console.
Now you're a Linux Guru!. Just kidding. KDE is a very good and stable Desktop
Environment. Gnome also have good applications. Use both. They don't have
anything with Windows.

|Frederic L. W. Meunier running Linux marseille 2.2.9 | uptime!*@IRC  |
|Contact: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|Tel: +55-21-620-7173 (Brazil) Site: http://olympiquedemarseille.org/ |
|Frames, Javascript, mail with HTML, Spam and the idiot? /dev/null    |
|This tagline is for the idiot who say WHAT?                          |

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding historically the number of seconds a user was logged in
Date: 20 Jun 1999 08:13:18 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Wickham) writes:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone know if the number of seconds that a login session lasted is
> recorded anywhere. We want to be able to produce a monthly report which
> shows every session that a user started and the number of seconds that the
> session lasted. Similar to the last command, but unfortunately last only
> records the number of minutes, which is a bit too imprecise for our purposes.
> Incidentally the sessions we are trying to record
> Can anyone give me some suggestions?

The times are in fact recorded in the wtmp file with seconds and
microseconds (though I'm not certain that the microseconds field is
used).  Anyway, you can just get the source for the last(1) program
off your Linux CD and change the format in which times are output,
making it include seconds.

That was easy, wasn't it?   Use the Source, Luke!

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+actually

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mindcraft Times Three Microsoft
Date: 20 Jun 1999 08:19:53 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Conrad Sanderson) writes:

> We know that we will lose this benchmark, so why on earth did
> Red Hat get involved ???  We could have refused participation
> until the kernel and the web server had performance enhancements.
> Refusing participation is nowhere near as bad as hard benchmark
> data, which is going to stick around for years.  Microsoft can
> and will use all the mileage it can get out of it, and then some.

I three months, six months, whatever, when all the performance and
sclability enhancements are in place, they just call for another
benchmark, even having Mindcraft do it (under the same
curcumstances).  Just imagine the PR if Microsoft refuses the
re-match...

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red-Hat - Linux?
Date: 20 Jun 1999 08:27:02 +0100

Tom Alsberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   Hi there... I should tell the only Linux distro I've used was
> Slackware, now considering changing to another distro, my question
> is - why do so many people say Red Hat is /not/ really Linux?

Maybe it's because they don't use it.

> is it the ease-of-use?
No.  Er, maybe.  But other distributions (e.g. Caldera) do this too.

> does it use different libraries?
No.

> a shell of his own?
No.

> a incompatible networking kernel
No.

> or X server kit?
No.

> I want Linux, real Linux, really real Linux, is Red Hat for me?

Maybe.  Try it.  Try some other distributions.  Pick one.

> if not, what would be for me? what are all the differences between all
> the distros anyway?

Try them!  Or see the Distributions mini-HOWTO...

From: Jeffrey Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trying to do a triple boot setup
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:34:09 +0000

Hi,

Currently I have a dual boot system, win95/Linux, would like to add
another OS to the mix.
I have the win95/Linux on a 7.5g,  I have a spare 1.08g that I would
like to add the 3rd OS to.
The 3rd OS is NT4.0 server.  I finally have my Linux system setup just
about right, would hate
to screw things up on this. The 1.08g is the slave drive, with nothing
on it. I presently use lilo to
boot either win95/Linux. I would like to continue to use lilo to prompt
me for the OS to boot.

win95
Linux
NT4.0

Where win95 is on /dev/hda1, Linux is spread onto /dev/hda2, /dev/hda3,
/dev/hda4, I would like to add
NT4.0 to /dev/hdb

I've heard there is some difficulties with adding NT4.0, anybody have
any ideas or advice on any pitfalls
that I might run into during my journey?

Jeffrey A. Bell

                        -- Wernher von Braun --

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Where the heck is that scsi?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:43:07 GMT

Is your version related to 4.00.950d?
Is RedHat plagratiasing proprietary software?
Just wondering.
I use Slak, gives me gray hair but at least it behaves logically.
Stanislaw.

From: Eran Dvey-Aharon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: emacs problems on redhat 6.0
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:12:04 +0300

Hi !

Emacs behaves oddly on redhat 6.0. (kernel 2.2.5-15). It causes some
kind of short system freezes. Any ideas ?
I wanted to try a defferent version of emacs , downloaded a couple but
could compile any of them,
because of a message going
/usr/include/unistd.h:567: parse error before '('
/usr/include/unistd.h:567: parse error before '__pgrp'

again , any ideas ?

Eran

------------------------------

From: md5¤Ï¼s§[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Abe Lin)
Subject: Help:Install linux boot on RAID. (building farms of servers)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 18:12:18 GMT

Hi, guys,
We're gonna build a farm of servers. The config is like this:
PIII 400, Asus 100 Mhz MB with SCSI, Mylex AcceleRAID, 5x 9 G HD
(seagate baracuda). cheapo video card. 512MB ram.

Here's the help-wanted issues:
a.Can we configure AcceleRAID so Linux sees the 45G as a big HD, and
still be able to boot from it?

b.The HD of our choice is not suuported on the
ftp://ftp.mylex.com/pub/dac960/diskcomp.html for AcceleRAID, but it is
for those DAC960PL/PDU/PG. Can we install on those disks still?
Those are Seagate Baracuda ST19171W.

c.I'm not sure about the CPU issue, I do hope this setup would be
better than what we had:
Ultrasparc 143Mhz, 196Meg RAM. 2xSun 2.1G HD, 1xSeagate 39173. total
13Gig. Cannot believe that we packed like 200 sites on it.

------------------------------

From: Don Whitlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ok...need help with Banshee XF86Config]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:21:35 +0100

======_=_NextPart_000_01BEBAFB.ACC465E4

Does anyone have a working XF86Config file they can share with me for a
Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee card? I downloaded the updated SVGA server
and XF86Setup file, but can't seem to get any resolutions better than
640x480x8bpp. I'd like to run 1024x768 x at least 15 or 16bpp.

Anyone got this working? If so, can you email me a copy of your
XF86Config file? Would be much appreciated, and save me a lot of hair.

Thanks,
Don

======_=_NextPart_000_01BEBAFB.ACC465E4

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.x