From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ?
Date: 4 Jan 2001 05:06:25 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ?
> RedHat 6.2 came with Enlightenment as the default window manager,
> but in RedHat 7.0, SawFish is the default window manager.  Why the
> change?  I want to take advantage of XFree86 4's ability to support
> multiple monitors, and only Enlightenment is able to handle multiple
> monitors; SawFish cannot not, yet.  Now I must install
> Enlightenment.  Does anyone have any info on why RedHat decided on
> SawFish as the default window manager?

RedHat is a strong supporter of Gnome.  The initial release of Gnome
recommended Enlightenment as it's window manager.  However there were
many problems.  Especially with the fact that both Gnome and
Enlightenment wanted to provide the same set of features.  A
light-weight window manager meant to be used with gnome was needed.
That window manager was Sawfish (orginally Sawmill).  Sawfish is now
the "gnome" windows manager.  It's a much better fit for gnome than
enlightenment ever was.

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 05:27:55 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ?
> RedHat 6.2 came with Enlightenment as the default window manager, but in
> RedHat 7.0, SawFish is the default window manager.  Why the change?
> I want to take advantage of XFree86 4's ability to support multiple
> monitors, and only Enlightenment is able to handle multiple monitors;
> SawFish cannot not, yet.  Now I must install Enlightenment.
> Does anyone have any info on why RedHat decided on SawFish as the
> default window manager?

Originally, "Rasterman," author of Enlightenment, came from Australia
to North Carolina to work for Red Hat Software, and planned to have
considerable integration between E and GNOME.

Things Changed; he left, to VA Linux Systems, and concluded that he
wasn't so interested in working with GNOME, nor GNOME with E.

I wouldn't read _too_ much into it; I doubt that either Rasterman or
RHS folk are burning each other in effigy, but there's certainly not
the "intent for cooperation" that there was two years ago.

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: exporting xwindows
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 05:35:16 GMT

i'm using win2k server's isc tool and exceed v6 as the x86 server.

In article <IDA46.111892$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <92ua60$8oj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > i use nat in my home office to connect multiple pcs. is there
anyway i
> > can export my remote xwindow display to one of my computers not
directly
> > connected to the internet?
> >
> > in other words, i would like to view remote xwindow events on local
area
> > pcs (ip address
> > 192.168.0.x).
> >
> > please kindly provide the command/nat config.
>
> What are you using for nat? ipchains? iptables?
>
> - Dan White

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mpg123 skips when samba working
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 05:20:53 +0000

Mat wrote:

> The drive is a 6mth old 20GB Quantum one (hdb) and I played with hdparm
> when it was first installed and have it running up to 3.45 MB/s (setting
> DMA on causes drive corruption even though it shouldn't but that is
> another story :)

  That drive might want the sync option.  If you enable 32-bit
with sync, you might be able to use DMA.

> Since machine A (jukebox) has 2 drives I tried moving
> an mp3 from hdb onto hda (which is running @5.65MB/s) and then playing
> it while accessing a large file from hdb.

  That seems awfully slow to me.  Here's a record of my foray
into hdparm from a while back:

- - - - -
  The command we'll be looking at is hdparm.  There's a man page,
but to start,

# /sbin/hdparm -c /dev/hda

will check to see what IDE flag you currently have set.
Will return 0, 1, or 3 for 16-bit, 32-bit, or 32-bit with sync.

# /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda

will check the speed of device reads.  IOW, it flushes the disk
cache and reads 64MB from the disk through the cache.

# /sbin/hdparm -T /dev/hda

checks the speed of transfer of 128MB from the cache without ever
actually accessing the disk.  This essentially measures the
throughput of the processor, cache, and memory of the system.

Typically, you might use this command

# /sbin/hdparm -c 1 -d 1 -k 1 /dev/hda

to set DMA support on (-d 1) and 32-bit I/O support (-c 1).  The
(-k 1) means to keep the setting through a soft reboot.  (In order
to retain it through a cold reboot, you'd need to put the commad
somewhere in the boot process; typically in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

  What kind of improvements can you expect?  Well on my 10.2GB
Samsung which spins at 5400 rpm on an FIC VA-503+ motherboard:

Setting                 device transfer         buffer transfer
DMA off, 16-bit         4.45 - 5.32 MB/sec      52.46 - 54.24 MB/sec
(default)

DMA off, 32-bit         6.63 - 7.78 MB/sec      51.82 - 53.56 MB/sec

DMA on, 16-bit          10.6 - 13.2 MB/sec      52.89 - 53.33 MB/sec

DMA on, 32-bit          9.89 - 13.1 MB/sec      52.03 - 54.01 MB/sec

DMA on, 32-bit sync     7.17 - 11.15 MB/sec     53.33 - 53.56 MB/sec

  Interestingly enough, for this drive, changing from 16-bit to
32-bit by itself yields an average 47% increase in disk access
speed, or enabling DMA at 16-bit increases transfer rates an average
of 143%, but then enabling 32-bit on top of DMA does nothing,
practically speaking.

*Note, the 16/32-bit refers to data transfers across a PCI or VLB
bus only; all (E)IDE drives still have only a 16-bit connection over
the ribbon cable from the interface card.

--
Steve Ackman
http://twovoyagers.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Printing Woes
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 06:23:21 GMT

> In /etc/conf.modules , make sure you have the following line:
>   alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> (bug in some RedHat versions...)
>
> If you want to do it manually, the following sequence should work:
>
> insmod parport_pc

I tried this and got the following error messages:
 /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/modules/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol
parport_parse_irqs_R3102da15
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/modules/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol
parport_enumerate_Rd3cb4efd
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/modules/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol
parport_unregister_port_R42ca66ad
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/modules/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol
parport_proc_register_R40c22519
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/modules/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol
parport_register_port_R3699ce8e
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/modules/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol
parport_quiesce_Re29deb8a
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/modules/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol
parport_probe_hook_Ra1be21d1

Any ideas?

Thanks again in advance,

Dan

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Londonboy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Apache question
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 07:15:39 GMT

I am running virtual host on Apache 1.3.14 and configured as follow,
everything works great.

Right now, the default connection goes to /var/www/html/  for example, if
someone type in http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the ip address of my server), they
will get the default apache page.

Is there a way to block this? like drop or deny if the host header is not
www.myserver.com? or can apache redirect the connection to other sites if
the host header doesn't match?

Because all I want is to let people connect to www.myserver.com .  Please
advice.

<VirtualHost *>
     ServerName *
     DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
     DocumentRoot /www/myserver/
     ServerName  www.myserver.com
</VirtualHost>

Thanks.

N.B.

------------------------------

From: Bob Holtzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:21:28 -0700

says...
> Bob Holtzman wrote:

> > Since the poster who you answered had the same problem as I did, I decided to
> > try your fix. _That'll teach me!_ Now startx won't work when I'm logged in as
> > user but continues to work for root. A giant step back.
> >
> > Permissions on /tmp/.font-unix are 1777. Anything else I can try (I don't mean
> > that facetiously)?
>
> I had the exact same problem the other day and this was the fix I found
> in a NG and it worked the first try. Sorry! What distro are you using so
> I will know to say it doesn't work on this distro. Again Sorry!

Don't sweat it, These things happen. I'm running Red Hat 6.0 with a ton
of tweaks and upgrades. That's the reason I'm so reluctant to reinstall.

--
Bob Holtzman
"If you think you're getting free

------------------------------

From: Evert Meulie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Locating wiped files
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 07:27:35 GMT

Hi everyone!

I have on a file system an unknown number of files of which the
contents has been 'wiped' (replaced with all 0's).

How would I be able to locate these files? I imagine grep and find are
useful here, but is there someone who can give me the exact command?

Thanks in advance!   :)

Regards,
   Evert

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Kilian A. Foth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Locating wiped files
Date: 4 Jan 2001 07:47:47 GMT

Evert Meulie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi everyone!

> I have on a file system an unknown number of files of which the
> contents has been 'wiped' (replaced with all 0's).

> How would I be able to locate these files? I imagine grep and find are
> useful here, but is there someone who can give me the exact command?

  find / -size 0

will show you all empty files. If it's about recovering the former
content of the files, though, that's an entirely different ballgame...
recent threads appeared to conclude that mc was the best tool for it.

--
Disclaimer: everything I told you might be wrong.

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ownership issues
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:06:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "bri"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I accidentally changed the ownership of all of my files so that they
> were owned by a user. I am using RedHat7.   Now, of course, I need to
> correct the ownership of they entire system.  Where can I find the
> correct ownership.  I tried changing everything but the two user
> directories to root, but I find I'm unable to su from that user, or
> shutdown the machine as that user, only as root.
>
> Please post responses to newsgroup or send them to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Of course this is risky, but you could reinstall all the rpm's on your
system.

mount /mnt/cdrom
for foo in `rpm -qa`
do
  rpm -Uvh --force "/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/$foo*"
done
umont /mnt/cdrom

(the single quotes in the for command are backquotes)

- Dan white

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.linux.storage.moderated
Subject: Re: Hiding a Pertition from OS2 by making it ext2?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:15:49 +0100

> I have a disk part of which contains some OS2 (HPFS and DOS) partitions and part
>ext2 Linux
> partitions which I am putting into a computer with dual boot OS2,
> Win and Linux. Those OS2 partitions on that disk of course totally
> mess up the drive labeling in OS2. I do not at present want to
> destroy the data on those OS2 partitions on that disk (hdd). Can I
> just retype them for now as ext2 partitions(which hide them from
> DOS/Win.OS2) and later if I want the data back, rename them as HPFS
> and FAT types.
> Ie, does changing the type in the partition table do anything to the
> data? So that if I change the type from HPFS to 83 (ext2) and later
> back to HPFS, will the data on that partition have been altered in any
> way?

No danger, you can do this without any danger.
Just make sure you won't ever mistake them for other partitions.
(You could also choose a more exotic type I suppose, that will make
the difference more obvious)

Eric

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Gripes...
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 23:44:50 GMT

HMS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

: Man I just don't know what you all see in this OS. I want to believe. I like
: the idea of open source. Linux is just so much work for so little joy. This

Well, I don't know about everybody else, but I use Linux because I much
prefer a stick-shift to an automatic transmission. I'm in control, I
can go behind the GUI (in fact don't have to even use a silly GUI if I
don't feel like it, and I usually don't) to take control of the system.
I've always LIKED Unix and this is enough like Unix to make me happy.

Those who don't wnat to put in the effort to learn things never will find
out the value of having done so. (I'm not saying you're one of those, BTW.)

: OS is just plain slow, bloated and buggy. All these damn config files are

Sorry, not slow, bloated, or buggy.

X and Gnome and KDE and such-like (a prime example being Netscrape) are
slow, bloated, and sometimes buggy, but not Linux, at least not as long
as you stay with stable kernels and tools.

(BTW, on that note, if you're running RH 7.0, if you haven't yet done
so, go to their site and download all of the rather large pile of
updates they've issued for 7.0 and install them before doing anything
else. It'll take you some time because there's quite a lot of stuff
there, but the updates are often important, as they've addressed a large
number of bugs or other kinds of problems.)

: scattered all over the place with no set format of any kind. There is no

It's a "feature" :^)

: decent help files and if there are you can't search any of them. Programs

There's lots of help, actually. Have you learned about the 'apropos' command?
About the 'info' command? Have you found the pile of docs that (can) get
installed in (on RH7) /usr/share/doc ??

True, a lot of it is somewhat rough, but then this is an OS for people
who prefer Unix over windows, whaddaya expect?

: take forever to load and when they do they mostly crash. I try to download

Methinks you exaggerate a bit.

: stuff and every tar file I get won't expand. I would like to spend my day

If you're using tar as you showed below, it's no wonder they won't expand.
I could be mean and simply tell you to go read the man page for tar, but
you may have already done so and simply overlooked the correct set of
options to use (it's not real obvious to the newbie). The correct
incantation is similar to:

        tar xvf filename.tar
or
        tar xvfz filename.tar.gz
        tar xvfz filename.tgz

or similar. If you simply do:

        tar x filename

nothing's going to happen because you didn't tell it (correctly) what file
to process. Look at the man page again, paying attention to the 'f' option.

: writing code, but there are no decent IDE for writing C. What do people use?

Well, I've been lurking for a long time waiting for someone to ask that
question... here's my favorite answer:

        Don't need no steenking IDE, Unix IS an IDE!

Unix was developed originally for use AS a pleasant, comfortable platform
for engineers and developers to use.

Unix (and therefore Linux) provides a plethora (love that word) of
development tools. The Unix philosophy is to have a set of (preferably
small) tools each of which does one (or a few) things well, and to
combine them to do bigger things. We have a variety of text editors (the
most commonly used ones among afficianados are emacs and vi, but there
are many others), multiple compilers, multiple debuggers, more tools
than you can shake a stick at. With multiple virtual consoles (or xterms
or other windows in a GUI) you don't need a
bloated-includes-the-kitchen-sink IDE.

I can't point you to a good IDE because (in case you haven't guessed), I
don't use them. I suggest you browse your way on over to freshmeat.net
and search for "IDE" or "integrated development environment" and see what
turns up.

: It sounds like people use GCC and EMACS. I am just not a glutton for
: punishment. I am trying to setup the Boreland J Builder, but of course when
: I tar -x the download it just hangs. The jre plugin causes Mozilla not to

See above.

: load. God this is frustrating. I am using RedHat 7 which is much better than

Sorry, I've no advice for the Mozilla JRE plugin.

: 6.x at least the GNOME is much better. I do like RPM. This is pretty cool
: and actually much easier to use than the new windows isntaller which has
: similar support for dependencies and versioning.

: I heard this thing was lean, fast and stable. I just have not found this to

it is.

: be the case. Windows 2K runs faster and is more reliable and has usable
: apps. I haven't rebooted my windows box in months with writing and debugging
: c code on it all day.

My household firewall/internet server has been running for well over a year
on an AMD K5 with 16 megs of RAM (there is no GUI on that machine), and it
tends to use about 1 meg of swap space. It just sits there and runs. It's
longest uptime so far has been 178 days. It would have been longer, but
1) I had to replace a fan, hence the reboot at the start of that period,
and 2) someone/something (human or feline) bumped the (exposed) reset
button and rebooted it on the 178th day. bummer.

My desktop machine (at home) is an AMD K6-2/350 with 64 megs of RAM. If
I didn't run X (and therefore other piggish stuff like Netscrape) it would
go along fine with hardly any swap space in use. I use this machine for
all my computing, web browsing, development, playing, having fun, etc.
and it never goes down (except for times like last night when Netscape and/or
X wedged the keyboard so I couldn't recover control of the console, forcing
me to telnet in from the server and reboot it--an uncommon occurrence).

: Am I doing something wrong? I thought my windows box was supposed to crash
: all the time and Linux was supposed to run on less hardware and never crash.

See above.

: What's the deal. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Back off a little, take a deep breath, go read some documentation (see
above), (go download quadra 1.1.7, compile it and play a few games), try
one thing at a time. There's a steep learning curve, but as you cover
bits of the curve you'll find it growing easier and maybe even find
yourself enjoying it! OTOH if you're looking for a Windoze clone, you're
in the wrong place.

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Hidden gnome taskbar.
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:51:23 +0100

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:

> On 2 Jan 2001 12:42:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kristian
> ragndahl) wrote:
>
> >Thaddeus L Olczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >: I have a problem in that I generally have a lot of windows open, and
> >: wind up having to hunt for the gnome taskbar by minimising windows.
> >: Is there some way to pull it in front of everything else?
> >
> >Panel -> Properties -> Hiding policy
> What an idiot!
> I supose you know what the word *front* means?
> If so, why are you suggesting something that doesn't pull it front but
> leaves it in back of everything else?

How very friendly.
I suppose you know what the word *friendly* means?

Thanks for your reply, but the options there don't include what I want.
Any other thoughts?

This was obviously too much to type.
Being an asshole is easier.

Eric