  Re: help (Chris Mahmood)

From: "Tobias Knowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.mail.imap
Subject: Re: Cyrus, Procmail, and Postfix
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:40:44 -0700

Im not familiar with postfix, but using exim I was able to get this to work.
The key is exim changes to a given user depending on certain factors.
I've setup a procmail.generic file under /home/cyrus that is called by exim
/usr/bin/procmail -p procmail.generic.  Then you can do your
delivery/filtering from procmail.
/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -a USER -m user.USER
Here's a link to an article that goes into this a bit further.
http://www.idg.net/gomail.cgi?id=19699

Tobias Knowles

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MattCero)
Subject: Diamond G460 AGP HELP Please!
Date: 10 Aug 1999 22:20:34 GMT

Could someone please tell me how to get my Diamond G460 AGP video card to work
with Linux 5.2 or atleast point me in the right direction?  Thanks, Matt Cero

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.hacking,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Graphics Library for C/C++
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:03:31 GMT

I'm looking any available graphics library for C/C++.  I've looked on
the net and can't seem to find any.  I found reference to a library
called gpc-graphics++.h but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Any help
would be appreciated.  Thanks.

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: using setserial to change irq on serial port
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 02:12:45 +0300

Jan Cernohorsky wrote:

> I have a SuSE 6.2 Linux installation on a dual processor PII 300 box. The
> modem is ISA and on COM3. In the standard setting the irq on the port in
> question would like to be irq 4. It needs to be 5. I have tried to use
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5
>
> (as root), but it comes back with
> "Operation not permitted"

Could it be because /dev/ttyS2 is in use by some other process? See if
"setserial /dev/ttyS3" works. "ps axw | grep tty" or "ls /var/lock"
could help.
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    [ aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr ]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve blakeway)
Subject: Re: Cant get Viper770 to work in X-Windows (Gnome)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 23:58:39 GMT

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 18:53:23 -0600, "JMNugent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Anybody gotten the Diamond Viper770 to work in X-Windows. I got XF86Setup
>installed via the RPM,...but I've tried all kinds of configs and none seem
>to work
>I keep getting the following error (even with plain VGA)
>
>_X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect : errno = 111
>_X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect : errno = 111
>_X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect : errno = 111
>_X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect : errno = 111
>_X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect : errno = 111
>

>etc,etc,etc.......
>On other occasions I've got X-Windows to start, but its all big and blocky
>(320x200), it looks like for some reason it decides not to like my Viper and
>just uses SVGA.....
>

>anyone???......THANKS,......BTW--(I've put about 8hours into this
>already,...I'm about ready to uninstall RedHat all together....
>

>Frustrated.....jason

You've gotta wait for the 3.3.4 XFree SVGA server. Until then, go
to the Nvidia site and get their Xserver.

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Carter)
Subject: Re: HELP: Samba with domain authentication?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:54:45 GMT

Sam Nickerson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have an NT PDC and a RH6.0 Linux box with Samba 2.03. I created a
>share and turned on Domain authentication and all works fine, except
>that my users can only log in from machines that are logged into the
>domain. In other words, if I attempt to connect to shareX on DomainY as
>userZ from a machine that is not a member of the domain I have to
>connect as DomainY\userZ. If I do a connect as userZ I get a password
>prompt. If I am on a machine logged into the domain i can simply connect
>to the share. How can I fix this?
>Thnx,
>Sam

That's how NT domains work.  If the domain knows you (i.e., you log
into the domain) you can connect to resources in that domain.
Otherwise, you must identify and authenicate yourself to the domain.

Visit my source code page at http://www.mindspring.com/~johnecarter
Visit my favorite school at http://www.mindspring.com/~addison

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: CIA assassinations
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:03:27 +0200

It was the Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:04:16 GMT...
..and Peter Seebach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ottavio G. Rizzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >What makes you think that a private company won't have an evil
> >inefficient burocracy?
>
> If they do, they will lose to a more efficient company.

In your wet dreams maybe.

SCNR, but it's like that. Not all companies that deserve to lose lose.
We should know that.

mawa
--
Books matter intensely in utopias...
                                                    -- Crawford Kilian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gergo Barany)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Can't log in
Date: 10 Aug 1999 23:34:24 GMT

Don't crosspost to four different groups; followups to c.o.l.misc

Igor Raznatovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>For some strange reason, I am receving this message when I try to log
>on:
>
>"Startup program /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole exited with non-zero status.
>please contact your system administrator."
>
>I have to add that I have a PC 350mhz with Mandrake on a 3.8Gb
>partition. It boots directly in level 5 so now I cant access prompt
>(frustrating right)...Can someone help me with this?

Boot into single user mode, change /etc/inittab, reboot, uninstall xdm.

>--------------390F4BAA9F89851D3D7C2162
>
>begin:vcard
>n:Raznatovic;Igor
>tel;fax:(210) 354-7943
>tel;home:(210) 354-7943
>x-mozilla-html:TRUE
>url:www.intersatx.net/people/igi/
>org:University of Texas San Antonio;Computer Science
>adr:;;6685 UTSA BLVD #513;SAn Antonio;TX;78249;USA
>version:2.1
>email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>title:Student
>note:ICQ#6497254
>fn:Igor Raznatovic
>end:vcard

Don't use these vcards. If you want to tell us about yourself, put the
info into your sig.

Gergo

--
Why, every one as they like; as the good woman said when she kissed her cow.
                -- Rabelais

GU d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL+++ P>++ L+++ E>++ W+ N++ o? K- w--- !O !M !V
PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t* 5+ X- R>+ tv++ b+>+++ DI+ D+ G>++ e* h! !r !y+

------------------------------

From: "Sam Sim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Server Chat & Web forum software for Linux?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:11:39 -0700

Michael,

What do you mean by web forum?

Sam

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I tell RH sees a second CPU?
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:09:53 -0700

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Jared Hecker wrote:

> Subject line says it all.  I added a second PPro to a RH5.2 machine and
> while I *think* it's faster I am looking for a utility that confirms Linux
> sees it (I know RH6.0 deals with SMP better and am planning to upgrade).
> xosview did not, nor did xsysinfo.

don't have more than one cpu under linux but on solaris sparcs top will
tell you which cpu the process runs on, ie cpu/0 or cpu/1
                                                             Gerald

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: vmlinux and module-info
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:21:21 GMT

On Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:09:48 -0400, bruce wrote:
>A while ago, I downloaded & compiled the 2.2.5-22 kernel. I replaced
>vmlinuz & system.map, but I noticed in /boot that 2 files had names
>still containing the original version - vmlinux-2.2.5-15 and
>module-info-2.2.5-15. I just left them & everything has been working ok.
>
>Now I'd like to get & compile 2.2.10-4. Where do vmlinux and module-info
>come from? I'm worried that going from 2.2.5-x to 2.2.10-x might cause
>some problems if these 2 aren't upgraded.

When I compile a new kernel, the only thing I worry about is the bzImage
file (/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage), which I rename to vmlinuz
and move to /boot. If I remember (very seldom ;> ) I'll also move the
System.map file to /boot at the same time.

The vmlinux is, I beleive, an uncompressed kernel. As for module-info*,
I've never seen that.

You shouldn't have any problems. Just leave the existing files alone until
you get a more difinitive answer as to what they are.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: Kernel RECOMPILE
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:39:32 GMT

On 10 Aug 1999 03:25:19 GMT, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:

>>make zImage
>
>If you get to the end and the system is too big, move more features into
>modules or make bzImage instead.  And you forgot to

The 2.2.* kernels don't appear to compile with zImage - even if I remove
most of the 'optional' features and compile the rest as modules. You may
want to instead tell people to try bzImage first (unless they run lowly
386's with 4 megs of RAM, in which case the wait won't be worth it).

>Also, some distributions require you to copy the new /usr/src/linux/System.map
>to /usr/lib/modules/System.map-2.2.10 (but substitute your kernel version).

I've never found that I was required to copy it over - I just got nagged
that the kernel and map file didn't sync.

>If this is your first kernel, don't use Lilo.  One step at a time.

Why not? As long as you keep your functional kernel around - what's the
problem? I hate booting from a floppy (It takes so damned LONG!).

When I compiled my first kernel, I left the one that came with SuSE sitting
in my /boot directory for a little over a month. By that time, I was more
comfortable with compiling kernels, and when I replaced it with a new(er)
kernel I finally removed it.

I don't see any point in going through all this;

From: Matthew Vanecek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.mail.imap
Subject: Re: Cyrus, Procmail, and Postfix--HELP!!
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:55:13 -0500

Tobias Knowles wrote:

> Im not familiar with postfix, but using exim I was able to get this to work.
> The key is exim changes to a given user depending on certain factors.
> I've setup a procmail.generic file under /home/cyrus that is called by exim
> /usr/bin/procmail -p procmail.generic.  Then you can do your
> delivery/filtering from procmail.
> /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -a USER -m user.USER
> Here's a link to an article that goes into this a bit further.
> http://www.idg.net/gomail.cgi?id=19699
>
> Tobias Knowles
>
> Matthew Vanecek wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >I have cyrus-imapd 1.5.19, procmail, and postfix 19990317 build.  I have
> >just changed to cyrus from wu imapd.
> >
> >How do I get procmail to work with cyrus?  I've tried a short progie
> >called "deliver-wrapper" as the action line in my .procmailrc, but it
> >doesn't work if the mail is handled by the MTA.  And you can't call the
> >cyrus deliver program directly
> >
> >The .procmailrc works properly, if I run procmail directly, e.g.,
> >
> >procmail < testmsg.txt
> >
> >but when mail comes in through postfix, it doesn't get distributed
> >through the system.

>From what I understand, exim is a monolithic mta, like sendmail. Postfix
and qmail are distributed, split into several apps.  This makes things
more secure, but in this situation, problematic.

The goal here is to avoid messing with the cyrus installation at all.
I've tried several things, but nothing seems to work.  I've used a
wrapper that comes with the RH rpm; I've modified that wrapper, I've
changed the execute permissions on /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver to be a+rx.
Nothing works.  Procmail runs, as far as I can tell, but there are no
error messages, and mail doesn't get deliverd, using either deliver or
the wrapper.  However, if I run procmail by hand, as I did above, then
the message gets delivered appropriately.  But it won't deliver, if the
message comes in via postfix.  Which I don't understand, because
procmail runs with the same permissions in both cases.

This is really annoying.  Surely there must be a reason why procmail and
the wrapper work, if run directly from the command line, but doesn't
work when it's called by the MTA

--

Subject: Re: Graphics Library for C/C++
From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Aug 1999 17:31:41 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm looking any available graphics library for C/C++.  I've looked on

There's a few listed in

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/graphics.html

Search for "librar".

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: Joseph Crowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lower to upper case?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:29:03 -0500

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, scable wrote:

> In bash, tcsh, or csh, is there a way -- be it a builtin, a utility, or
> some way of writing a script -- to take an arbitrary string input and
> turn it into a string whose letters are all upper case?  I know this can
> be done in zsh, but I don't have access to it.  Thanks for your help.

   Under Korn shell at least, you can declare a variable uppercase, as:

     typeset -U VAR_NAME

   Then assign the other var's value to VAR_NAME...

   Alternately you could do something like

   VAR_NAME=`echo "${VAR_NAME}" | tr [a-z][A-Z]`

   note: above is grave accents which means execute commands inside

Joseph Crowe
http://www.io.com/~jcrowe
email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: DVD Movies
Date: 10 Aug 1999 21:32:17 GMT

On Sun, 08 Aug 1999 22:09:00 GMT,
 Christopher Michael Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have been asked to install Linux on a friends
> Laptop, A compaq presario.  She watches movies
> with it's DVD player and M$ O/S.
>
>       When will applications be available for Linux that
> will allow the viewing of DVD movies?

As Free Software?  Probably in 17 years or so when the relevant patents
expire.   (See, for example, http://www.mpegla.com/ for the patents on
MPEG-2 that are relevant.  There are a whole slew of others as well,
controlled by the DVD Consortium.)

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James A. Stockel)
Subject: Hauppauge WinTV video frame grabbing?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 00:51:35 GMT

Hi all,

I am trying to find a shareware application to grab single frames of video
from the 2 video input channels on a Hauppauge WinTV board.  The board is
in a Dell PII box running RH6.0.

I've tried to build bttvgrab-0.15.4, but the configure and make scripts are
pretty broken.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim Stockel                       Oceanography Department, Code OC/SL
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Naval Postgraduate School
Phone:  (831) 656-3256            Monterey, CA 93943

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help
Date: 10 Aug 1999 12:13:23 -0700

adi flenner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> where can I find the latest version of slackware ?
from a company that sells Slackware.
-ckm