Linux-Misc Digest #357, Volume #27               Wed, 14 Mar 01 08:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: HOW TO: XWindows Client? (Martin Gregorie)
  Re: Help! partitioning woes with RH 6.1 ("Eric")
  Bizarre message ("Dennis")
  To set the date of files (Baogao)
  Re: To set the date of files ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Bizarre message ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ping, syslogd, startx woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: QRPFF Source Code (Samuel Hocevar)
  Re: Help! partitioning woes with RH 6.1 (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: magicfilter vs apsfilter (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: ping, syslogd, startx woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Bizarre message (Carl Fink)
  Re: Help! partitioning woes with RH 6.1 ("Eric")
  Re: No swap being used (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: waitpid() for a non parent process (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: ping, syslogd, startx woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Start X Windows (Jean-David Beyer)
  modprobe: cannot locate xxxx ("Darren Davison")
  Re: Bizarre message (Christopher Albert)
  Re: Books on Unix Kernel for non-programmer. (Martin Jost)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Subject: Re: HOW TO: XWindows Client?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:23:47 GMT

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:49:55 +0100, "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So look for a X server for NT.
>I use Exceed at the office (not-free), but there are free alternatives IIRC

I've been looking at NetSarang. Its not free but its a lot cheaper
than Exceed.

PuTTY is free but probably not whats needed as it only provides a text
window - rather like a tarted up telnet. It does work welland has
built in ssh support.

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! partitioning woes with RH 6.1
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:23:54 +0100

> : You must reboot first.
> : fdisk told you to do this.
> : mke2fs gets it's information form /proc/partitions and this is not yet
> : updated
>
> I see. It works now. A side note on linux fdisk. I find the
> output of fdisk confusing (compared to the old BSD fdisk) since
> it lists hard disk devices (/dev/hdax) instead of partition numbers.

No it lists partition numbers, but it is the one tool that doesn't read
/proc for it's information. It directly reads the table from HDD.

> Later fdisk asks for a partition number but you have no idea but guessing
> which partition number you want to choose.

four primary partitions: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
one of these can be an extended partition.
The logical partitions inside this extended partition, are numbered hda5 and
up

There's no confusion if you ask me, but I may not have understood your
question

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bizarre message
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:10:26 +0400

Hi

A friend of mine phoned and said he is having a message on his RedHat 6.0
Linux server.

His Linux guru has left the country a few weeks ago and now he is facing
this error message on his server :

Exec : /usr/man/man4/squid : cannot execute : No such file or directory

This message appears at least 10 times, then he gets this :

INIT : Id "pa" respawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes

Since I am also new to Linux I asked him to reboot his server.

However the same message appears after the reboot.

What is this squid? I found in /etc/passwd an account with this same name..
But my friend tells me no one uses this account.

Can this be a hacker?

Thanks in advance for your help for tracking this bizarre message

Regards

Dennis

------------------------------

From: Baogao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: To set the date of files
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:25:21 +0100

Hi

  Any info how to set/modify the date of a file is greatly appreciated

Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: To set the date of files
Date: 14 Mar 2001 11:40:48 GMT

Baogao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Any info how to set/modify the date of a file is greatly appreciated

see "touch". man touch for info.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Bizarre message
Date: 14 Mar 2001 11:44:00 GMT

Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Exec : /usr/man/man4/squid : cannot execute : No such file or directory
> This message appears at least 10 times, then he gets this :
> INIT : Id "pa" respawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes

Check in the various /etc/rc.d/* scripts where squid is started an
why is trying to access /usr/man/man4/squid.
See also the Squid-HOWTO.

> Since I am also new to Linux I asked him to reboot his server.

?? to do what ? Linux is not Windows, problems are not solved
rebooting the machine...

> What is this squid?

Is a proxy, an application that is used to allow other machine
in the network to use your server as a connection to the internet.

> But my friend tells me no one uses this account.

Should be used by squid itself. Not strange... again, see the
various HOWTO about Squid.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ping, syslogd, startx woes
Date: 14 Mar 2001 11:46:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a desktop machine (MD 7.2) networked to a laptop (RH 6.0),
> today I discovered that I couldn't ping anything by hostname tho'
> I could ping RH using its network number.

Probabily because you do not have the relation IP-number/Hostname
into /etc/hosts.

> I started trying to reconfigure the network and while doing a
> reboot (well, invoking telinit anyway), the system hangs on, it

Probabily is trying to 'connect' to itself and is not responding
anymore. Read the NET3-HOWTO, there are enough information about
how to setup/solve networking problems.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Samuel Hocevar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: QRPFF Source Code
Date: 14 Mar 2001 11:56:35 GMT

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:20:27 +1300,
Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Apparently the PERL program below can decrypt DVDs a la DeCSS.
>
> Anyone tried it?

   It works, but you will need to authenticate to the DVD drive and get
its title key before being able to access the scrambled sectors of the
DVD and decrypt them. Tools like 'css-auth' will do the job.

Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://sam.zoy.org/>
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:58:03 -0500

Eric wrote (in part):

> > Anyway, here's the output of fdisk:
> >
> > Script started on Mon Mar 12 10:19:57 2001
> > [root@myhost /root]# fdisk /dev/hda
> >
> > The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 5005.
> > There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> > and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> > 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
> > 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
> >    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
> >
> > Command (m for help): p
> >
> > Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 5005 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
> >
> >    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hda1   *         1         3     24066   83  Linux
> > /dev/hda2             4      5005  40178565    5  Extended
>
> Wrong ID, change it to type 85 (linux extended), or 0F (win95 LBA extended)

What is the reason for changing the Id of the Extended partition from
5 to 85 or 0F? I run a Red Hat Linux 6.2.3 system with a
2.2.14-VA.2.1smp kernel, and using the default Id of 5 for Extended
partitions seems to work just fine. Is it because a regular Extended
(Id 5) partition cannot handle partitions over 2Gbytes or something?
Here is my partition table.

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1116 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1         3     24066   83  Linux
/dev/sda2             4        20    136552+  82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3            21       275   2048287+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4           276      1116   6755332+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5           276       403   1028128+  83  Linux
/dev/sda6           404       420    136521   83  Linux
/dev/sda7           421       452    257008+  83  Linux
/dev/sda8           453      1116   5333548+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1116 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *         1         3     24066   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2             4        20    136552+  82  Linux swap
/dev/sdb3            21       275   2048287+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb4           276      1116   6755332+   5  Extended
/dev/sdb5           276      1116   6755301   83  Linux

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: magicfilter vs apsfilter
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:13:58 -0500

Lew Pitcher wrote (in part):

> Long ago, I used a version of apsfilter that came with Slackware v3.3,
> and almost immediately switched to magicfilter. I have three printers
> (an HP660C inkjet, an Epson LQ570 dot matrix, and an Olympia Electronic
> Compact RO daisywheel) which magicfilter services easily.

Have you been able to drive your HP660C printer using interrupts?
I.e., putting something like:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

into /etc/conf.modules, and running

tunelp /dev/lp0 -T on -c 1

I tried this since in the /var/log/messages it so frequently says:

Mar 12 10:37:53 valinux kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7
[SPP]
Mar 12 10:37:55 valinux kernel: parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD
DESKJET 660C
Mar 12 10:37:55 valinux kernel: lp0: using parport0
(interrupt-driven).
Mar 12 10:37:58 valinux kernel: lp0: the printing could be optimized
using the TRUST_IRQ flag, see the top of linux/drivers/char/lp.c

When I do that, my HP660Cse (I do not know the difference between the
660C and the 660Cse) prints simple text files just fine, but when I
try to print a .jpeg file, it messes up; it sometimes prints a little
bit of the .jpeg file, and sometimes not, and then switches to
printing a few ascii characters per page and then I turn off the
printer and delete the job from the print queue.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:00am up 11 days, 14:05, 3 users, load average: 2.18, 2.15,
2.09

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:15:40 GMT

In <98nlm7$2o13g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 03/14/01
   at 11:46 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>Probabily because you do not have the relation
>IP-number/Hostname into /etc/hosts.

>> I started trying to reconfigure the network and while doing a
>> reboot (well, invoking telinit anyway), the system hangs on, it

>Probabily is trying to 'connect' to itself and is not responding
>anymore. Read the NET3-HOWTO, there are enough information about
>how to setup/solve networking problems.

Thanks for responding.

I have been reading the HOWTO. (Bear in mind, this system worked
ok until yesterday; I set it up.)

The issues are:

(a) I'm confused still about the syntax of /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.2 lappie.ditmar lappie
192.168.1.1 punzel.ditmar punzel

I can't ping 'lappie' or 'punzel' (the latter is the machine I'm
pinging from). I can ping the ip numbers.

(b) Would the failure here explain or contribute to the other
failures such as the inability to load startx and the hang on
syslogd? I realize, 'first things first', and I need to solve the
problem underlying the ping failure.

F.

     Felmon John Davis
     Goethe Universitat / Frankfurt, Hessen
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     os/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Date: 14 Mar 2001 11:48:00 GMT

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:10:26 +0400 Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>His Linux guru has left the country a few weeks ago and now he is facing
>this error message on his server :

Tell him, "Find another Linux guru if you don't know how to run the server
yourself."

>Exec : /usr/man/man4/squid : cannot execute : No such file or directory

>What is this squid? I found in /etc/passwd an account with this same name..
>But my friend tells me no one uses this account.
>
>Can this be a hacker?

In theory, I suppose it could, but probably not.  Squid is a proxy
server -- the most popular free proxy server there is, in fact.  The
line quoted above refers to the man page for squid, which is a
Unix-style help system.  Why it's appearing in your logs regularly is
hard to figure out without more information.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:25:34 +0100

> What is the reason for changing the Id of the Extended partition from
> 5 to 85 or 0F? I run a Red Hat Linux 6.2.3 system with a
> 2.2.14-VA.2.1smp kernel, and using the default Id of 5 for Extended
> partitions seems to work just fine. Is it because a regular Extended
> (Id 5) partition cannot handle partitions over 2Gbytes or something?

No, it's actually a windows problem.
The partition ID 0x0F indicates that extended int13 BIOS calls
must be used. (LBA addressing)  For linux it doesn't really matter,
because it accesses the disks directly, not thru the BIOS.
Linux never uses CHS addressing and always uses LBA addressing.

0x05 is just not intended for parittion that extend (partly) beyond cyl.
1023
You should use either 0x0F, when windows must have access to a logical
partition, or 0x85, when it is linux only. That way, you will never have
windows messing up data, not even if you change the setup in the future.

If I were you, I'd change both extended types to 0x85
It can be done without any side effects.

(PS. linux fdisk defaults to type 0x05, this has already caused
        many errors on dual boot systems, and is one of  the main
        reasons why it is recommended not to use linux fdisk to
        partition a dual boot system)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No swap being used
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:28:34 -0500

"Nils O. Selåsdal" wrote:

> "Paul Kimoto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Since each of these has a process-id, I do not see how you can say
> > > they are part of the kernel; this is not a Microsoft system. top,
> > > pstree, and ps report them all as though they were processes. Those
> > > tools that list their swap status list them as swapped.
> > >
> > > Are you saying that all these tools are wrong by listing them as
> > > separate processes? How did they fabricate process identifiers?
> >
> > No, the tools are not wrong, but there are no executables there (try to
> > find them on your system!).  The _Unix system administration handbook_
> > (3rd edition) explains:
> These are threads, threads in linux is implemented by processes.

Threads of what, though? Threads of the kernel (seems excessive)? Or
threads of some different process? E.g., are perhaps bdflush and
update both threads of /sbin/update?

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:25am up 11 days, 14:30, 3 users, load average: 1.08, 1.65,
1.91

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: waitpid() for a non parent process
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:38:36 -0500

dave michael kennedy wrote:

> Is there a function like waitpid() that will watch for a non-child process
> to die/exit?

I do not know.

> hey, if windows can do it, it must have been done in linux somewhere..

I am not sure that providing a "wait" function like that would be a
good idea. It might permit hidden communication paths that permit
security problems (secret communication paths).

If the processes are "friends" in some sense, you could set up
messages (man ipc) and have the process about to exit to send a
message to inform the one that cares.

If this is done in C++, you could have the main program of the one to
be monitored invoke a constructor that sets up the ipc, and the
destructor send the message advising of its imminent demise.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:30am up 11 days, 14:35, 3 users, load average: 2.04, 1.90,
1.94

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 14 Mar 2001 12:45:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> (a) I'm confused still about the syntax of /etc/hosts:

> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.1.2 lappie.ditmar lappie
> 192.168.1.1 punzel.ditmar punzel

The first is the IP address, the second the complete name (host + domain)
the third only the hostname.

> I can't ping 'lappie' or 'punzel' (the latter is the machine I'm
> pinging from). I can ping the ip numbers.

Check if the /etc/host.conf contains:

order hosts, bind

Or

order hosts

Or

order <whattheheckis>, hosts

This tell your machine to look into the damned hosts file to resolv
the IP addresses. If you don't have an host.conf file, simply create
one with the aforementioned line.

Davide

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Start X Windows
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:46:04 -0500

Boeman wrote:

> ok, startx but how do I let Linux boot into X standard?
> Where do i have to add the line

If you are running a Red Hat system (I do not know about the others),
make your /etc/inittab look, in part, like this:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

It is normally better to have runlevel 3 until you have the X Window
System working just the way you want it. If you boot to run level 5
from the beginning, and X is not set up right, you will find it a pain
to debug things.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 7:40am up 11 days, 14:45, 3 users, load average: 2.00, 2.02,
1.98

------------------------------

From: "Darren Davison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modprobe: cannot locate xxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:58:23 -0000

hi,

after having rebuilt a kernel, I'm trying to load the modules required for
an ISDN card.  The module is correctly compiled when I do 'make modules' and
moved to the /lib/modules... folder when I do 'make modules_install', but
modprobe refuses to find it.

There seem to be comments in various forums about changing modules.conf or
other files, but neither these or the relevant man pages are clear.

Can anyone please explain this to me?

Many thanks,

--
Darren Davison

------------------------------

From: Christopher Albert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:02:28 +0100

Dennis wrote:

> Hi
>
> A friend of mine phoned and said he is having a message on his RedHat 6.0
> Linux server.
>
> His Linux guru has left the country a few weeks ago and now he is facing
> this error message on his server :
>
> Exec : /usr/man/man4/squid : cannot execute : No such file or directory
>
> This message appears at least 10 times, then he gets this :
>
> INIT : Id "pa" respawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes
>
> Since I am also new to Linux I asked him to reboot his server.
>
> However the same message appears after the reboot.
>
> What is this squid? I found in /etc/passwd an account with this same name..
> But my friend tells me no one uses this account.
>
> Can this be a hacker?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help for tracking this bizarre message
>
> Regards
>
> Dennis

Dennis,

One explanation for this message is that
makewhatis is being run daily by cron . This
database is created from man pages get regex searched
for use in commands like 'apropos' or 'whatis'.
You could look in /etc/cron.daily and /etc/cron.weekly to see if there
is an entry for makewhatis. You can also try and
run 'makewhatis -u -w' to see if the error is reproduced.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Martin Jost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.solaris,comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: Re: Books on Unix Kernel for non-programmer.
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:07:41 +0100

"J.Smith" wrote:
> Im looking for some books or web-resources that will help me understand the
> *nix kernel in some more detail, [...] Books that cover the *nix
> kernel in general (like BSD or SysV) rather than a specific implementation
> (like Solaris kernel) would also be preferred.

I would guess you will like the following:

The design and implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX operating system
Leffler, S. J.; McKusick, M. K.; Karels, M. J.
Addison-Wesley, 1989

Not completely up to date, but _good_ to get the concepts

HTH

Martin