Linux-Misc Digest #420, Volume #21               Mon, 16 Aug 99 00:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: AMD Processor (Todd Knarr)
  Re: What I think of linux. (Rob Akens)
  Re: What I think of linux. (dh)
  Re: Problem with GNOME on a Redhat 6.0 machine (Leonard Evens)
  a HUGE problem (help please!!) (Dave Howland)
  Re: Extracting multiple tar archives? (Wayne Power)
  Re: html_editor (Jeremy)
  Re: Oracle for Linux ("ken k")
  xdm (kdm) question. (Jeremy)
  Re: Terminalemulation from WinNT to Unix ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: netscape (Jim McIntyre)
  Re: Java and linux (Jim McIntyre)
  Re: Terminalemulation from WinNT to Unix ("T.E.Dickey")
  Re: html_editor (Jeanette Russo)
  XXX Fucking Pics ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: modules???? (Vladimir Florinski)
  Re: Clothes design software for Linux? (Carl Fink)
  Re: Clothes design software for Linux? (William Burrow)
  Newbie/wannabe web page (Jeanette Russo)
  Re: Hong Kong's Linux Portal (Lindoze 2000)
  Does hotmole still work with MS HoTMaiL ("Pete G.")
  Re: How to put CD-ROM in a lower speed (William Burrow)
  Re: What I think of linux. (William Burrow)
  RealTek8019 PnP Lan adapter (Frederik Likaj)
  Re: test - ignore (Lindoze 2000)
  Re: changind console text-resolution (Richard Kr.)

From: Todd Knarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD Processor
Date: 16 Aug 1999 01:44:45 GMT

Rick Knebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a downside to the AMD compared to the Pentium?

For the K6-3, not really. The integer performance is slightly better
than the Pentium, and with the -3 AMD has finally boosted the floating
point and MMX performance to be on a par with the Intels. I'm running
a K6-3/400 on my system with no problems and good performance.

Note that this is comparing the K6-3 to the Pentium. The PII and PIII
are faster than the K6, but the new K7 ( Athlon ) matches their performance.

> Is 256 KB L2 Cache enough? It does not seem like alot of cache.

It doesn't seem like much. The motherboard I use has 1 megabyte of L2
cache on it. I wouldn't settle for less than 512K.

--
It may be great to soar with the eagles, but weasels don't get sucked into
jets.

------------------------------

From: Rob Akens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: What I think of linux.
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 01:54:24 GMT

My first computer was a "Packard*hell*" beat that.... just kidding, but you really
should pitty me for suffering through years of use on that machine, but what can I say,
I didn't know any better...

Rob Akens

------------------------------

From: dh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 01:43:07 +0100

Robert Churchill wrote:

> David Mitchell wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> <snip>
>
> >My first computer was an abacus.
> >
> >But you try telling the youth of today that.
> >

> you had an abacus? we used to *dream* of owning an abacus.
> we 'ad to count on us fingers 'n' toes, an' if we got us sums wrong, t'maths
> teacher'd cut 'em off wi' garden shears.
> and they was rationed.
>
> R   :)

Are you a Yorkshireman, perchance?

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with GNOME on a Redhat 6.0 machine
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:28:03 -0500

"Egg J. LeFume" wrote:

> Hi.
>
>         I just started playing around with GNOME (and KDE as well, using
> switchdesk to switch between those two) recently, and I'm having a slight
> problem with it now.  Every time I start it, gmc acts up; it starts and
> stops about every second.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling every
> gnome* rpm I have, but it didn't help.
>
>         Also, before I reinstalled, after minimizing a window, there was
> no icon for it at all, and there were no buttons on the panel for the open
> programs, either.  Any idea what could cause this?
>
>         My machine is running RedHat 6.0, and all RPMs are from the CD:
>
> switchdesk-gnome-1.7.0-1
> gnome-linuxconf-0.22-1
> gnome-audio-1.0.0-6
> gnome-libs-1.0.8-8
> gnome-core-1.0.4-34
> gnome-pim-1.0.7-2
> gnome-utils-1.0.1-6
> gnome-media-1.0.1-3
> gnome-users-guide-1.0.5-4rh
> gnome-games-1.0.2-10
>
>         I would appreciate any help, either posted or emailed.  Thanks.
>
> Jamie Kufrovich

Try upgrading gnome-core and gnoe-libs.  Some problems have
been fixed in the upgrades.  You can find the upgrades on one of the
RedHat mirror sites or at www.gnome.edu
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Dave Howland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a HUGE problem (help please!!)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:45:48 -0400

i'm using the debian distribution of linux. i decided to update to the
most recent "unstable" release today , using apt-get to do this. but a
very large problem ended up developing. after finishing the download of
all the new packages (one of which was an update to bash) it began the
setup process. it very kindly removed my old version of bash, and unpacked
a replacement, unfortunately it had some sort of problem in the config and
exited. well, obviously this leaves me in a bit of a pickle, without a
working version of bash i can't install a working version. i tried
downloading the source but of course i can't generate the makefile without
bash to run the configure shell script. anybody have any suggestions? or
could someone possibly send me a Makefile for bash 2.03? i've got a pretty
standard system so i could probably use someone else's makefile. thanks in
advance!

Dave Howland

RC5-Moo - Hey, 400 KKeys/sec isn't a heck
          of a lot... unless you multiply
          it by 100,000...

          http://www.distributed.net

------------------------------

From: Wayne Power <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Extracting multiple tar archives?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:32:20 -0400

Ruven Gottlieb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I try to "tar xvzf *"; "tar xvzf $(dir)", etc. I get error messages
> telling me "foo.tar.gz: not included in archive" or some such.
>
> If I try "tar xvzf foo.tar.gz", the archive will extract.
>
> I don't know how to write shell scripts yet.  Does anyone know how to
> get tar to extract a load of seperate archives in the same directory.

Tar handles one archive per invokation.  To do what you want from the
command line...

 for f in *; do tar xvzf $f; done

Enjoy,

--wmp

------------------------------

From: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: html_editor
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:35:03 -0500

Mitja wrote:

> I am searching for WYSIWYG html editor. Is there any for Linux? (not Amaya).
>
> Mitja
> ---------
> http://www2.arnes.si/~ljitis1

For WYSIWYG, try Netscape Composer that come with the standard Netscape. I use
asWebit, it is not WYSIWYG, but I prefer it that way, you get more features.

http://www.advasoft.com/asWedit/

asWebit is HTML4 and frame compatible.

Jeremy

------------------------------

From: "ken k" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oracle for Linux
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:41:39 -0400

Zounds! Thats a lots of bits. Thanks for the info Jill.

Is there anybody out there selling this on a CD for those of us with
28.8 modems?

Ken

------------------------------

From: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xdm (kdm) question.
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:43:17 -0500

Hi!

I would like to try to use kdm, but when I use it, X starts in the wrong
screen mode, and my virtual desktop is gone. Why does it not follow my
XF86Config file? Everything works fine using startx.

Thanks!

Jeremy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Terminalemulation from WinNT to Unix
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:18:48 GMT

Ludger Sicking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi,

: my problem is not Linux specific. The following one:

: I want to log into a unix machine from a WinNT machine.
[snip]

You want "Tera Term Pro" !!!

If you are using S.u.S.E, it's hidden away at the installation
disk under "/dosutils/ttssh".

Works fine here. And yes, it's GPL.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,redhat.x.general
Subject: Re: netscape
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 02:23:42 +0000

Holczhammer Mark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I follow a link, what is a mailto: the netscape communicator close
> immediately exits. Why? How can I fix it?
> I use debian.
>
> thanX for Your help

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

I've had similar problems with netscape, and so have a lot other users.
The best solution is to upgrade to nertscape 4.6, if you're not using it
already.
regards

Jim McIntyre
Webmaster program
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

------------------------------

From: Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Java and linux
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 02:30:49 +0000

==============CD1ACA0F2FF85ADF0D64345D

Jill wrote:

>  I have signed up for a java class.  I have some limited C and C++
> experience, but I am pretty ignorant about java.  I would like to use my
> linux machine, though.  Can I download an interpreter or a compiler from
> some site?

Your best bet for a Linux-based jdk is  http://www.blackdown.org , this is
a jdk designed specifically for Linux

regards

Jim McIntyre

==============CD1ACA0F2FF85ADF0D64345D

Jill wrote:
have some limited C and C++
to use my
from
Your best bet for a Linux-based jdk is&nbsp; <a
href="blackdown">http://www.blackdown.org</a>

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 02:38:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You want "Tera Term Pro" !!!

> If you are using S.u.S.E, it's hidden away at the installation
> disk under "/dosutils/ttssh".

> Works fine here. And yes, it's GPL.

That's not what the source distribution says (it's free, but you require
permission to distribute modified versions).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jeanette Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:33:12 -0500

There is a shareware version of Coffee Cup for Linux.  I coudn't get it to work
but it looks pretty good.  I lost the URL but just do a search for it
Jeanette

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: XXX Fucking Pics
Date: 14 Aug 1999 15:18:53 -0800

XXX PICS XXX PICS
http://www.nettaxi.com/fcitizens/adult168/dp/p3.htm

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: modules????
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:07:56 -0700

Marc Ohmann wrote:

> After struggling with installling this network card for 2 days, I have
> decided I need help.  I have a D-Link DFE530-TX 10/100 pci card.  I have
> the tulip driver and the de4x5 driver.  I have been trying to install
> either of them as modules with no luck.  modprobe never sees the card
> and eth0 never shows up in dmesg.  Everytime I try to "insmod tulip"  I
> get a message that says "device or resource busy".  Thinking that
> another driver was already attached to the nic I commented out every
> line in /etc/conf.modules with no luck (the device still comes up
> busy).  I have uncommented the line in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules for the
> tulip driver.  I have recompiled the kernel with module support.  If I
> knew how I would compile the kernel with the tulip driver installed but
> I don't.  Could somebody help me.  If I am just one step away from
> getting it to work as a module let me know.  Otherwise could you tell me
> how to recompile the kernel with the driver.  I have about 200 pages of
> kernel/ethernet/networking.... how-tos infront of me but they aren't
> very clear as to what I am doing wrong!!  Oh ya I am running slackware
> if that makes a difference.  And I have run the Slackware netconfig.

Did you set up interrupts and IO ports for the NIC in your /etc/conf.modules?
Sometimes users forget this final step...
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Clothes design software for Linux?
Date: 16 Aug 1999 01:02:50 GMT

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:50:04 -0400 Faheem Mitha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>                  My mother is interested in finding out about software
>that can be used for designing clothes.

LINUX JOURNAL ran an article, "Using Linux at Lectra-Systemes", in
their April, 1997 edition.  Lectra is a French company that makes
CAD/CAM systems for the apparel industry.  You can order back issues
of LJ via their web site, <http://www.ssc.com/lj>.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 16 Aug 1999 02:41:51 GMT

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:38:52 -0400,
David Frantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Linux users wear clothes???

Sure, don't you read User Friendly?  They get them at Expos....

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: Jeanette Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie/wannabe web page
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:40:30 -0500

I have started a web page for new users it contains links to get you
started and also downloads and manuals.
Jeanette
http://www.stormloader.com/jrusso2/index.html

------------------------------

From: Lindoze 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hong Kong's Linux Portal
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 23:15:11 -0400

345lk34j365ji35j689fljkj
jf902j3oiu42l4k5j4l5kj
salkdjflkjsdf!@@$%$#^%$&%^&%&#$%
#$%#^%&*&%*
there's your solution.
please come by again.

--
Thank you for your valuable input. Your useful answers will benifit
other users as well.

##                                                    ##
## My Experiment                                      ##
## http://www.FusionPlant.com                         ##
##                                                    ##

From: "Pete G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.mail,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Does hotmole still work with MS HoTMaiL
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 02:52:21 GMT

Does anyone know if hotmole 1.0 still works with Microsoft's Hotmail?

I know that Microsoft has made some security enhancements over the past
month or two and the version of hotmole I have is from April.    At any rate
... I can't seem to get hotmole working.  (see below)   And the author's
supportURL is DOA; which leades me to belive hotmole is no more.

Any leads?

(FYI: Hotmole was a GREAT program for reading/forwarding mail from Microsoft
Hotmail.  Like a simple version of fetchmail for HTTP)

- Pete

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

====================[[[ HOTMOLE v1.0 rel. 1 (tcl) ]]]====================

Command line processed ok.
Examining Hotmail's front page...
Redirected to http://lc3.law5.hotmail.passport.com/cgi-bin/login...
Logging in...1...1st curl failed
addr = https://lc1.law5.hotmail.passport.com/cgi-bin/dologin
params=login=myhmacct&passwd=myhmpswdl&frames=no
1st phase of login failed
Error logging in to Hotmail. Exiting.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to put CD-ROM in a lower speed
Date: 16 Aug 1999 02:56:50 GMT

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:04:16 -0700,
Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Actually, a CD-ROM usually never reaches it's maximum speed.  It starts in a
>spiral starting from the center of the CD.  In order to reach it's maximum
>speed, it would have to be reading the outer (or close to) edge of the CD.
>Also, when you insert a CD, the drive determines what kind of CD it is.  If
>it's video, it will probably play it around 2X.  There is no way of lowering
>the speed since the speed is dependent on the part of the CD it's reading.

This is true for CAV disk drives, but not CLV drives.  See:

http://come.to/cdspeed

There are still CLV drives to be had.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Date: 16 Aug 1999 03:05:51 GMT

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:30:01 +0100,
Heeeeeeeez back! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Robin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> ld hl (400c) 3a 0c 40 ; get screen start addres
>> ret          c9       ; return
>
>> Does anyone have a Z-80 op code manual available to confirm the above?
>
>Well, without even looking it up, you were right on the RET...
>:)
>
>You got it slightly wrong...
>
>The opcode for what you typed was ld a,(NN)
>ld hl,(NN) is 2a
>:)

Hmm, time to translate my table of Z80 opcodes to the web?  I set them
out in octal so that they were easier to remember.  For example, the
registers lined up neatly in octal:

0: b; 1: c; 2: d; 3: e; 4: h; 5: l; 6: (hl); 7: a

Figuring out MOV opcodes is a piece of cake....

From: Frederik Likaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RealTek8019 PnP Lan adapter
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:30:48 GMT

I want to set up a network but my problems starts with getting my network
card running.From Windoze i have a "RealTek8019 PnP Lan with Input/output
0220-023F and IRQ 05.After downloaded from realtek's home page th linux.txt
i use it as a guide to set up my network card.So i do the
following:1-Recompile the kernel  by make xconfig from /usr/src/linux with
the options (*)enable module support,(*)networking support,(*)TCP/IP
networking,(*)network device support,(*)ethernet and (*)ne2000/ne1000.So i
try to boot with the new kernel (from floppy disc with bzImage on it)after
running "make dep" and "make clean".How should i know if the driver is
loaded or not.(with (*) for Y and not as "M" for modules it should be a
part of the new kernel right?)Anyway when i try to set up an ethernet
device eth0 from usernet (i am sure i do it the right way)it does'nt get to
work (the green light never comes).As a p.s from the linux.txt "in some
case,PNPISA may assign to port not in thr range you can use 'rset8019' (in
DOS) to set the card in jumpless mode and set ioaddr to one of these
ioport.Do i have to do it and if yes how do i do it?I do not have DOS
installed instead i have windoze98,windozeNT4.0 workststion and Linux
RedHat 6.0 on the same P.C. I have tried to run rset8019.exe from
dosemulator in Linux but i am not sure this is the way(????????)Any help is
welcomed. I am in the dark here.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Lindoze 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: test - ignore
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 23:10:46 -0400

waaaaaaah!!!!
I thought this was a test!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kr.)
Subject: Re: changind console text-resolution
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:20:59 GMT

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:48:24 GMT, NF Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>

>>Hello!
>>I want to change text-resolution to 80x50, i edited
>>/etc/lilo.conf and set vga=ext (that's from manpage)
>>it changed the resolution, but after the message "
>>MOunting local filesystems" at startup (rh52) it swithes
>>back to 80x25.
>>Any suggestions what do i do wrong ?
>
>Try searching for a call to setfont in your startup
>scripts and changing the font it sets to one
>which is for an 80x50 screen.
>
>Norman

Sorry for asking, but where is my startup script ? :-p