Linux-Misc Digest #420, Volume #26               Tue, 28 Nov 00 23:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")
  problem mounting cdrom (john connolly)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... (Robert Kiesling)
  Re: Mount mysteries (ljb)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... (Robert Kiesling)
  RIO drivers and EISA knowledge ("Scott M. Navarre")
  Re: [Fwd: cannot connect to linux] (Steve Martin)
  Re: simple alias question (Mark Post)
  Re: Partitioning questions ("Patrick Bartek")
  Re: problem mounting cdrom (Dances With Crows)
  Re: I don't understand my password encoding (Bill Unruh)
  Re: How to send AT commands to modem and view results? (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: Can't mount or dd nonstandard floppy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: netscape6 with qt-support (spicerun)
  how to find out linux version (Mohit Aron)
  Re: End Task Command ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: how to find out linux version (Hal Burgiss)
  can't compile gimp-print.-4.0.2 (John Thompson)
  Re: End Task Command (Jean-David Beyer)
  [Thanks] Re: Good Linux distro for older Pentium box, your take? ("//.././")

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:00:38 -0500

> Not a problem, Fred.  And thanks for the penguin logos.  :)

Hehe, I knew the peace pipe would be the end all =)
Have fun with them and tell me if you need more.

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:02:09 -0500

Scary stuff baby! Explains a lot =)

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:02:45 -0500

ok.

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:04:40 -0500

Go to http://www.mainmatter.com to see the first few actual uses of my
little pinguinos.

------------------------------

From: john connolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: problem mounting cdrom
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:27:36 GMT

I have a slackware 7.0 system which I have been running smoothly for
some time. I recently rebooted (after adding memory) and when I try to
mount my hard disk with the command:

mount /dev/hdd /cdrom -t iso9660 (/dev/hdd is where it has been mounted
in the past)

I get the error message "mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdd
as a block device"
In /var/log/messages the line: "modprobe: can't locate module
block-major-22"

JWC

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:32:55 GMT

"the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> writes:

> > Not a problem, Fred.  And thanks for the penguin logos.  :)
>
> Hehe, I knew the peace pipe would be the end all =)
> Have fun with them and tell me if you need more.

Hey, I'm not going to knock a freebie!

And thanks again.  I'll get back to' ya.

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: Mount mysteries
Date: 29 Nov 2000 01:39:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Learning Linux is indeed fun, but there are a few things that have been
>difficult to track down.  Gradually, thanks to the folks who provide the
>HOWTO's, I've been able to find out most things, but there's a mystery
>about mount points that no one seems to explain.
>
>I understand the concept of assigning mount points to a partition and
>that the mounted partition "overlays the existing directory" (to quote
>one of the documents I read).  In other words, I create a mount point
>/home on a partition.  I realize that this /home essentially replaces
>the /home that is on the root partition.  If I unmount /home, I find an
>empty directory called /home now exists.  If I put a file in this
>directory, it will not be visible if I remount /home.  No problem, I
>understand that.  What bugs me is:  Where is the file?  Does it take up
>space in the root partition?  Since it has an inode, could it be
>accessed even while /home is mounted?  I've been dealing with DOS, Win,
>and NetWare file systems for a long time, but this is a departure.  I'm
>sure that part of my problem is trying to relate FAT to *nix file
>systems.
>
>If there's some documentation that explains this in gory detail, I'd
>love a reference.

A slight correction first. The volume to be mounted has no concept
of where it is "supposed" to go, like /home, until it is mounted.
Think of mounting a volume like this: you are attaching a filesystem
into the existing filesystem tree. The point where it gets attached
is the point point, a directory. When you mount the filesystem, Linux
arranges things so that searching / for /home (for example) points
you to the mounted filesystem's root directory instead of what was
in "/home" before.

As you said, anything in /home before mounting is no longer visible.  Yes
it is still exactly where it was before, and still takes up space on the
disk. But the operating system has no way to find it because its parent
directory is hidden. (This isn't really true. If you create /home/testfile,
then make a hard-link from /tmp/testfile to /home/testfile, then mount over
/home, you can still get to testfile through /tmp. This is related to what
you said about inodes - it still has its inode, so it can be accessed
through another link.)

Don't try to understand mount points through Netware or DOS.  This mounting
volumes thing is a Unix concept, so a good book on Unix would explain it.
For example, Maurice J Bach's "The Design of the Unix Operating System" has
a lot of details on exactly what goes on.

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:50:12 GMT

"the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> writes:

> Go to http://www.mainmatter.com to see the first few actual uses of my
> little pinguinos.

That is correct.  A little later this evening, barring unforseen
circumstances.

From: "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: RIO drivers and EISA knowledge
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:50:43 GMT

Hello,

  Has anyone got the RIO EISA cards to work with Linux?  Or does anyone know
where I can find drivers for this, or how to modify the current drivers to
work for EISA?  A Specialix (now Perle) representative told me that the
Linux drivers only work for ISA and PCI cards.  What would it take to modify
the drivers to work with EISA?

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: cannot connect to linux]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:05:39 GMT

ekk wrote:

> 4.  I am using TCP/IP.  If I knew how to Ping from windows, I'm assuming
> I would be able to Ping, because of my answer to #2.

Open a command prompt window and type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where the
"xxx...xxx" is the IP address of the machine you're trying to ping.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: simple alias question
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:08:23 GMT

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:19:54 +0100, Sebastian Hans
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Floyd Davidson wrote:
>>
>> Another alias you might consider is the command alias for bash.
>> That is the kind that goes into ~/.bashrc and can invoke a long
>> command line with a single short command.  For example, you might
>> have this in your ~/.bashrc file
>>
>>   alias ts='telnet somebox.somehost.com'

-snip-
>I'd like to add this:
>There is no way for a bash alias to accept command line parameters.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, then I have to disagree with this
statement.  I have a SuSE Linux/390 system at work that has various aliases
for the 'ls' command.  One of them is 'll = ls -l'.  I can still do 'll -tr'
which is the equivalent of 'ls -ltr'.  Are these the kind of command line
parameters you say won't work?  Or were you referring to something else?

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Bartek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Nov 2000 18:24:44 +0800
Subject: Re: Partitioning questions

*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

> I bought a new 40 GB hard drive, and I'd like to partition it so I can have
> Linux and Windows partitions. I already have a 8.4GB drive as my master: the
> 40GB will be the slave. My master is partitioned into four different drives
> (I installed it when I had Windows 95 [and FAT16] - now I have 98 2nd Ed).
> How would I do this? How big do I need to make the Linux partition? Will I
> be able to access files from my Windows partition from Linux, and vice
> versa? I've never used Linux before, but I'd like to. Thanks in advance,

I'm assuming you want to keep Win95, although I have no idea why.  I'd
just get rid of it, and install W98 in its place on the Master (C:)
drive, and put Linux on the 40 gigger.

In any case, to install W98SE on the slave:  after installing the
drive, in a DOS window, run fdisk and put at least 2 DOS partitions
on the 40 gig drive, and format them.  One will be where W98 will go,
the other will be deleted and repartitioned during the Linux install.
If I remember correctly, with Second Edition, you can pick which drive
and partition to install it, but to be on the safe side: shutdown your
computer, remove the Master drive and install the 40 gig drive (as
Master), and install Windows 98 on it.  Then, switch everything back,
and install Linux.

Linux caveat (sometimes, depends on distro):  with some versions of
the boot loader lilo, the Linux kernal MUST be installed on a Linux
partition that resides below the 1024th cylinder, about 8.4 gig on the
hard drive, if it's configured with 255 heads/63 sectors.  If you put
lilo and the kernal on a Linux boot floppy, you don't have to worry
about this limit.  Most people just put a small (10 megs or so) Linux
partition called /boot below that 1024 limit.  It doesn't matter, if
it falls between or before Windows partitions.  It just has to be
below 1024.

The size to make (and how many) Linux partition depends on what you
intend to do.  For a first install, let the installer do everything.
Later, after you learn what you're doing, you can reinstall
everything, the way you prefer.  This is what I did.  No big deal.

Linux can read and write to Windows partitions, as well as a lot of
other filesystems.  However, Windows can't do the same.  (I guess,
since Bill thinks his OS is the ONLY true OS, why would you need to
read others.)

Good Luck....

--
Patrick Bartek
NoLife Polymath Group

  **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ****

*** Newsfeeds.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
  http://www.newsfeeds.com       |         http://www.newsfeeds.com

* Anonymous posting server!      | * Totally Uncensored!
* SUPER Servers!                 | * Over 80,000 Newsgroups!
* BINARIES ONLY Servers!         | * 16 seperate Newsgroup Servers!
* SPAM FILTERED Server!          | * Instant access!
* ADULT ONLY Server!             | * Multiple OC 3's and OC 12's!
* MP3 ONLY Server!               | * 99% Article Completion!
* MULTIMEDIA ONLY Server!        | * Months of Retention!
* 7 UNCENSORED Newsgroup Servers | * Lightning FAST downloads!

  http://www.newsfeeds.com       |         http://www.newsfeeds.com
        **** Point your newsreader to post.newsfeeds.com ****

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: problem mounting cdrom
Date: 29 Nov 2000 02:40:39 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:27:36 GMT, john connolly wrote:
>I have a slackware 7.0 system which I have been running smoothly for
>some time. I recently rebooted (after adding memory) and when I try to
>mount my hard disk with the command:
          ^^^^^^^^^
>mount /dev/hdd /cdrom -t iso9660 (/dev/hdd is where it has been mounted
>in the past)

Hard disks don't use the ISO9660 filesystem, usually :-)

>I get the error message "mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdd
>as a block device"
>In /var/log/messages the line: "modprobe: can't locate module
>block-major-22"

The block-major-22 device is the 2nd IDE interface, which should
normally Just Work.  Check /etc/conf.modules and make sure that the line
  alias block-major-22 off
is in there.  Except for special cases (certain older IDE chipsets) the
2nd IDE interface works just like the first one, and no module is needed
to make it work.  If you do have an older IDE chipset, then in some
cases you must boot the system with a special kernel command-line
(append "ide0=ali14xx" for instance) for the 2nd interface to be
activated.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: I don't understand my password encoding
Date: 29 Nov 2000 02:41:09 GMT

In <8xmU5.11870$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Alex Hart <news@#nospam#althepal.com>
writes:

]In my passwd file I see this:

]seif:$1$PpyX5YbW$Kd2cg7iBLKiwnU7be5H110:501:500:Erik
]Sert:/home/seif:/bin/bash

It probably is using an MD5 version of a hash. This is NOT straight MD5. Rather
it uses MD5 plus a salt and goes though a huge bunch of roations,
permutation, hashing of one part of hte phrase with another, etc. As a
hash it is a total mess, but then they are probably trying to make it
slow to prevent brute force encoding.
]what kind of encoding is this for the password. At 34 characters it's
]not plain crypt. I thought maybe it was MD5, but I was unable to
]reproduce this string with the Perl MD5 module. Can someone please tell
]me how I can verify a user's password against this string, and how I can
]know which encoding mechanism to use. Not all the entries in my passwd
]file look like this. Some of the passwords are encoded with crypt, and I
]know how to verify those.

The only place I have seen it is as a module to pam. I have not seen it
as a standalone subroutine, like you can for crypt(3).

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to send AT commands to modem and view results?
Date: 28 Nov 2000 17:16:18 -0900

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder) wrote:
>"trebor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 [previous text trimmed]
>>However, in order to send the proper AT commands to enable auto-answer on
>>the modem,
>
>You don't want that.
>Setup mgetty instead.
>
>>I had to hook the modem up to a PC and use Hyperterminal to
>
>[...]
>
>Argh.
>Use minicom.

Using minicom (or seyon if X is up an running) is easy; however,
there are other possibilities that sometimes are very useful.

  echo "ATS0=1&w" > /dev/ttyS0

for example, should put a modem on port ttyS0 into autoanswer mode.
Another use that is handy now and then is to reset a modem, using
ATZ or AT&F1 or whatever is appropriate for that particular modem.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Can't mount or dd nonstandard floppy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:04:43 GMT

Tim Allen, www.timallen.org <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a stack of floppies from a (now defunct) Smith Corona wordprocessor.
: A writer friend desperately needs the files on them.  I can't figure out how
: to mount the floppies, or even to sucessfully dd them.  Help! My absolutely
: non-techy buddy has his life's work on these floppies, and I can't let him
: down.  I'm on SlackWare 4.0.

[snip]

Hmm...
you have to find out some information about the format of those disks.
It may well be that those are CP/M like formats.

There is a packet for Linux called "cpmtools" that lets you handle
such old CP/M formats.

It might be woth a try.

Also keep in mind, that the disks may be simply damaged.
You may be able to get dato off of them with dd by skiping bad areas.

Good Luck,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape6 with qt-support
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:25:08 -0600

Dirk Groeneveld wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Has anyone in here succeeded building netscape6 M18 with the --with-qt
> option?

I think you mean Mozilla M18.  Mozilla is much more capable without the
distortions that Netscape adds when they release their Netscape 6.0 Browser.
You are correct in that Netscape 6.0 does use Mozilla's code with Netscape's
modifications/distortions/limitiations on top of it.  AFAIK, Netscape 6.0
source is not available....Mozilla M18 Source code is available.

> I tried it: At first, he couldn't find some files. I gave him the files.
> Now, he complains about code that tries to define an instance of an abstact
> class.

I tried compiling it (--with-qt)and it had a cast error in the HTML parsing
code.  I'm trying to compile Mozilla M18 without debugging in hopes that will
turn off all of those irritating debug messages as you do things, and will
also speed up Mozilla significantly.

> I'm trying --with-static-qt right now, but i'm not very confident...

Please let me know.  What are you using to compile it?  I am using gcc-2.95.2
with bintools-2.10.

------------------------------

From: Mohit Aron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to find out linux version
Date: 28 Nov 2000 21:24:10 -0600

Hi,
        how do I find out what version of Linux I'm running - 'uname -a'
command only gives the version of the Linux kernel. How do I find out the
version of RedHat that I have ?

- Mohit

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: End Task Command
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:02:05 +0000

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> mpulliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>> > Linux is superior to Windows 98 in that you can kill and
>> > restart errant programs one by one and it won't crash the
>> > rest of your system or force you to restart the whole thing.
>>
>> Unless you kill init....
>> :)
>>
> I never tried it and do not wish to, in case I succeed. Can you do a
> kill -9 to it? Or does the kernel trap that and prevent you from doing
> that?

You can, I think... I've not tried it either...
:)
It is just another process after all... Just the father of all others.
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: how to find out linux version
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 03:40:18 GMT

On 28 Nov 2000 21:24:10 -0600, Mohit Aron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>How do I find out what version of Linux I'm running - 'uname -a'
>command only gives the version of the Linux kernel. How do I find out the
>version of RedHat that I have ?

Is this coincidence, or didn't you just ask this a few days ago?

[hal@feenix hal]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)

--
Hal B

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: can't compile gimp-print.-4.0.2
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:29:15 -0600

I've been trying to compile gimp-print for my system (RH v6.1,
kernel 2.2.16) without success.  Running the configure script
produces the following:

checking for yacc... /usr/bin/yacc
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
Makefiles... no
checking for gimptool... /usr/bin/gimptool
checking for GIMP - version >= 1.0.0... no
*** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file
config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GIMP was
incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved GIMP since it was installed. In the
latter case, you
*** may want to edit the gimptool script: /usr/bin/gimptool
configure: error: Cannot find GIMP libs: Please run ldconfig as
root

This seems to suggest that my gimp version is below 1.0.0, but
this is not the case:
[john@starfleet print-4.0.2]$ rpm -qa|grep gimp
gimp-libgimp-1.0.4-5
gimp-devel-1.0.4-5
gimp-1.0.4-5
gimp-manual-1.0.0-6
gimp-data-extras-1.0.0-4

All these packages are above v1.0 as far as I can tell.  Gimptool
gives similar results:

[john@starfleet print-4.0.2]$ gimptool --version
1.0.4

ldconfig shows that the gimp libraries should be available:

[root@starfleet print-4.0.2]# /sbin/ldconfig -v

        [clip...]

        libgimpui.so.1 => libgimpui.so.1.0.4
        libgimp.so.1 => libgimp.so.1.0.4
        libgimpui.so.1 => libgimpui.so.1.0.4
        libgimp.so.1 => libgimp.so.1.0.4
        libgtkxmhtml.so.1 => libgtkxmhtml.so.1.0.1
        libgnorbagtk.so.0 => libgnorbagtk.so.0.0.0
        libgtk.so.1 => libgtk.so.1.0.6
        libgtk-1.2.so.0 => libgtk-1.2.so.0.5.0
        libgtkxmhtml.so.1 => libgtkxmhtml.so.1.0.1
        libgnorbagtk.so.0 => libgnorbagtk.so.0.0.0
        libgtk.so.1 => libgtk.so.1.0.6
        libgtk-1.2.so.0 => libgtk-1.2.so.0.5.0

        [clip...]

Nor has gimp been moved or tampered with since installation.

So what gives?  Why can't I compile this thing?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:51:17 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> mpulliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> >>
> >> Unless you kill init....
> >> :)
> >>
> > I never tried it and do not wish to, in case I succeed. Can you do a
> > kill -9 to it? Or does the kernel trap that and prevent you from doing
> > that?
>
> You can, I think... I've not tried it either...
> :)
> It is just another process after all... Just the father of all others.

I wondered if they diddled the kernel so kill -9 would not kill it in
order to prevent disasters from the butterfingered.

Is there ever a time when you would want to kill init and yet not take
down the system? If the children of init are started just right,
killing their parent would not kill them, etc., so perhaps you could
have a shell continue to run and you could start another init. But
would it get pid = 1? I doubt it. Would it matter? I have not thought
about it. What happens if you try to start another init? If you could
get two running, you could really get confused, I guess. I am now
confused already.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

From: "//.././" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Thanks] Re: Good Linux distro for older Pentium box, your take?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:53:59 -0500

Thanks everyone for the advice.