Linux-Misc Digest #441, Volume #21               Tue, 17 Aug 99 22:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Comparing HPFS to ext2fs... ("Darin McBride")
  Re: "serial line is looped back"? (Paul Wilkins)
  Re: Can Linux and NT talk? (John McKown)
  Re: Can't logout (John McKown)
  Re: Troll (was: why not C++?) (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Linux file-size limit? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Origin (Cevat Ustun)
  Re: ICQ and linux client ("Matthew Zimmer")
  e2fsck question (Kevin Paul)
  Re: Looking for comparable apps in Linux from OS/2 ("Donald E. Stidwell")
  Login aliases? (Chris Pott)
  Can't boot 2.2.11 or 2.3.13 ("F. Heitkamp")
  Re: why not C++? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Linux file-size limit? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Can I switch from OS/2 to Linux and be happy? ("TomG")
  Re: Attension !!! I can not instal 2nd linux in same disk ("Unknown")
  Re: ICQ and linux client (Charles E Taylor IV)
  Re: modem not responding (David)
  Re: Looking for comparable apps in Linux from OS/2 (Alex Taylor)
  Re: Attension !!! I can not instal 2nd linux in same disk ("Unknown")
  Re: Can't logout (M. James)
  Cracks for Linux? (Simon Pallister)
  Accessing windows 98 files from Linux ? ("Richard Hudson")

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.misc
From: "Darin McBride" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Comparing HPFS to ext2fs...
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:30:56 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:38:25 GMT, Zephyr Q wrote:

>       I've been using OS/2 for years, and am switching to Linux
>(don't ask why yet, that is a different post).  In the past,
>I have been **very** happy with the rock solid performance
>of HPFS and, seeing several comments about problems with
>Linux's file system (especially with power outages, etc.),
>am curious about the following:

Simple question - if the authors of ext2fs are writing "flaky" drivers, why
would the fewer, and more obscure, authors of the Linux HPFS drivers be
writing better drivers?

>       Is it possible to *use* the HPFS with any amount of success
>with Linux (I know I can download a driver to read/write,
>but is it reliable?)?

Personally, I don't trust the Linux drivers to not mess my EAs, etc., so I
would only use the hpfs drivers in read-only mode.  I would, however, trust
the ext2fs drivers to work fully.  The reason?  OS/2 uses EAs, Linux doesn't.
 I prefer using the native file systems for each OS as they are likely to be
the most feature-rich and stable.
---
Disclaimer: unless explicitly mentioned otherwise, I do not speak, nor have I ever
spoken, for the company I work for.

------------------------------

From: Paul Wilkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: "serial line is looped back"?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:28:16 +1200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Trying to get ppp going in RedHat v. 6.0 and some progress is being made
> but just after I get the message (peering through 'tail -f
> /var/log/messages') that 'connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0', the error
> message:
>
> 'serial line is looped back'
>
> appears, and the would-be connection is terminated.
>
> I need a clue here.

This happened to me recently, and I found that the bios had a com port
set to the same specs as the modem.
I was watching the connection routine on Ctrl+Alt+F8 and when the
dial-up script was sending config info to the modem it was getting
looped back by the other internal comport which was set on the same
path.
Internal modem, Com2, IRQ3
Com2 port, IRQ3

man did I feel dumb. Told the bios com2 to be instead com4 (was com2
from fiddling in the bios) and all's well.

Paul Wilkins
--
Proudly sent with Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: Can Linux and NT talk?
Date: 18 Aug 1999 00:09:29 GMT

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 02:37:09 +0530, Vasanth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Can someone tell me if you can map files/drives of NT on linux and
>visce-versa and if so how.
>
>Thanx
>Vasanth

You can use Linux as an NT domain controller and share files on it by using
the Samba package. As part of the samba package, there is a command called
smbclient which should let your Linux system access the NT file/print
server.

I'm just starting to learn this myself and don't have it working yet.

Try http://www.samba.org

Samba comes on most of the major Linux distributions.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Can't logout
Date: 18 Aug 1999 00:09:28 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:51:29 +0100, kev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I use RH6 with Gnome. I have a dual boot system, and I have problems
>with time, which means when I log in, usually I have to set the clock
>right away using date -s. As soon as I press the return key, the machine
>logs me out, then I log back in and the time is set OK.
>However, I've just come back from a week's holiday, I rebooted the
>machine this morning, then set the time as usual. The time set OK but
>didn't log me out.
>It turns out that I _cannot_ log out now - choosing logout from the menu
>just has no effect whatsoever. How am I supposed to log out with hitting
>the power button and trshing my filesystem. I could do a 'shutdown -r
>now', but I don't want to shut it down, I just want to log out.
>Any ideas?
>
>- Kev

on my RH 6.0 system. That does log you out! If you want to be really nasty,
press <control><alt><F1>. This gets you a text login: command. Type in
"root" and press <enter>. When it asks for the password, enter root's
password and press <enter>. Now type in "ps -Af" (not in quotes, of course).
Find a line that says something like:

bash -login /etc/X11/gdm/Session

Notice the very first number on that line. The line is something like:

Now type in

kill -9 <first number>

This kills the gdm server. And incidently, logs you out. Try the

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Troll (was: why not C++?)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:47:04 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:50:42 +0300, Timo Tossavainen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Graffiti wrote:
>
>>Oh god.  The return of the LISP machines.... *shudder*
>>They weren't *bad*, but look at where they are now.  See my point?
>>(Or rather, don't see it? :-)
>
>Well, I think the lisp machines had specialized chips to evaluate
>lisp and were quite proprietary.

The founding of Symbolics and Lisp Machines has a great deal to do
with the founding of the Free Software Foundation...  I do not recall
offhand which company of the two RMS considered the "bad guys," but
there was much bad blood at the time...

>I think a modern open Lisp OS would be a good idea. It would be a lot
>more stable than one, whose applications are mostly written in C/C++
>and the paradigm might be quite different from UNIX.

Try *could* be more stable...

>Lisp machines and a Lisp OS are different in the sense that lisp
>machines included specialized hardware. See anything with specialized
>hardware in general use ? I'm not aware of the reasons why the lisp
>machines didn't work out.

Richard Gabriel wrote a book about his related experiences; there was
a *lot* of AI-related hype, and a number of pretty big mistakes...

--
"Parentheses? What parentheses? I haven't noticed any parentheses
since my first month of Lisp programming.  I like to ask people who

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux file-size limit?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:47:12 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:50:15 +0100, Jon Skeet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> 5.  Changing to a new filesystem, whether ext3, XFS, or Reiserfs, will
>>     do nothing to resolve your issue.  They are all quite capable
>>     already of handling Very Large Files; the problem is that FILE *
>>     can't, and memory mapped I/O can't.
>
>That's what I thought. The XFS pages I was looking at the other day
>(sorry, I've forgotten the URL - it was off /. though) seemed to imply
>otherwise.

<mode="Moderate Sarcasm">
That tells you how seriously you should probably take /.
</mode>

>> 6.  Big files on Linux at present requires using a 64 bit
>>     architecture, or writing applications to be "large file" aware
>>     using the LFS API that is included with GLIBC.
>
>Right. So does XFS support this, or is it independent of the filesystem?
>
>(I asked about this recently in a post titled "XFS: What would it mean
>for us?" but I got no replies...)

The code hasn't yet been released, so any claims would be premature.

IRIX, the OS on which XFS is already in use, has been doin' the 64 bit
thing for some years now, which suggests that they had already coped
with the issue.

We can't know for sure until the sources are available, but if XFS is
integrated atop the Linux VFS, it is liable to inherit any limitations
of VFS.
--
"... psychologists sometimes refer to perception as controlled
 hallucination ..." -- B. K. P. Horn 6.866/6.801 Lecture

------------------------------

From: Cevat Ustun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Origin
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:13:44 -0400

My reasons for using Origin were to do plots AND
fits. The problem with things like gnuplot and
xmgrace is that they can do (esp xmgrace) publication
quality plots but the fitting menu isn't all that
great. For instance xmgrace can do polynomial
fits (to 10th order) but if you read the documentation
it says that you're not advised to use their
rudimentary nonlinear fits (ie linearizable
powerlaws etc). And as for artibrary nonlinear fits
-forget it.  To my knowledge there isn't a Unix
program that comes near Origin's capabilites and
ease of use. So in other words if all you want
to do is plots I would recommend xmgrace, otherwise
don't delete Origin yet!

Cevat.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Zimmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: ICQ and linux client
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:13:39 -0500

>I left the machine in Linux long enough to finish a cron and managed to
locate
>several executables: icqnix, gtkicq and they list as +x.  After running any
one of
>them I get the following error.
>bash: icqnix: command not found
>or
>bash: gtkicq: command not found
>
>Any more suggestions?
>
>thanx,
>~dM

My guess is you need to add a ./ before the executable file.  For example,
type ./icqnix
That tells linux that the executable file is in this directory.  Basically
it's a path problem.
Matthew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Paul)
Subject: e2fsck question
Date: 18 Aug 1999 00:57:10 GMT

As my linux system has expanded, I have  added several partitions.  At bootup I
am told that I am mounting unchecked file systems.  How can I configure my system
to check all partitions at bootup?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Paul

------------------------------

From: "Donald E. Stidwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: Looking for comparable apps in Linux from OS/2
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:40:47 GMT

Zephyr Q wrote:

>         I'm making the switch from OS/2 to Linux, and *really*
> would like some similar functionality with the following
> apps:
> <snip>
>         A news client as good as ProNews (sigh, I know this one
> might be a long shot...)

Good luck on this one. I've *never* seen a news client as good as
ProNews on any platform. That was (is) one of OS/2's true jewels.

>         A slim browser that handles pages well (I never did like
> Netscape 2.02 for OS/2 much and Opera never panned out...)

There's the browser built into both KDE and StarOffice. Don't personally
care much for either one but they are alternatives.

>         Configuration tools (I don't need my hand held, but I also
> don't have a lot of time wading through scripts...).

Even though I don't use SuSE anymore, I think it's configuration tool,
Yast, is superior to anything else I've used including Linuxconf and
COAS. There is little that can't be configured in Yast system-wise and
the nice touch, especially for a newbie is the way it updates all your
scripts and WM's.

>         Since I'm coming from OS/2, GUI versions of the above are
> preferable (I'm not afraid of CLI, just like it less than a
> decent GUI <<whoops, flame bait>>.)

CLI use in Linux is unavoidable, according to me, but most major tasks
can be accomplished with some sort of GUI tool.

Don

------------------------------

From: Chris Pott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Login aliases?
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:32:24 -0700

Greetings...

Is there any way to set up Login aliases (not just email aliases) under
Linux?  (kernel 2.2.6)

I'd like to be able to set it up so that, for example, user
"imauserwithareallylongname" could login as "ima," without creating a
duplicate user record.

Any advice appreciated.

Chris

--
Chris Pott

From: "F. Heitkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't boot 2.2.11 or 2.3.13
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:22:03 -0400

I can't boot either 2.2.11 or 2.3.13 in case anyone cares.

My PC:
Tyan Tomcat III
Pentium 200/MMX 64 MB RAM
Tekram 390 UW (Symbios 53c875 based)
This card worked great with the 53C8XX driver which doesn't compile in
2.2.11 due to a
undefined symbol; pci_base <something>
Symbios 875 (53C875 based narrow card)
3Com Etherlink XL PCI
Tidalwave 128 sound card (crystal chipset)
I have Amiga FFS and OS/2 HPFS partitions on my SCSI disks (don't ask :))
2.3.13 has not been fixed yet for those filesystems, evidently.

With the 2.2.11 kernel, it gets pretty far in the boot process; detects
hardware and so forth
then goes into the Aiee killing interrupt handler.  I will be glad to
provide more information
if someone is interested.

I've been using 2.2.9 and it works fine.

Fred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:47:14 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:02:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Just keep on using C. Why mess it all up with M3, C++?
>(Will someone come up with Java now?)

I suggested M3 in part because that would make it manifestly obvious
that the result of such a process is Not Going To Be Linux.
--
"The Amiga is proof that if you build a better mousetrap, the rats will
gang up on you."  -- Bill Roberts [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linuix.setup
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:47:15 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:50:51 +0200, Michael Grabowski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Linux has a file-size limit of 2 GBytes.

Not true.

>There were some rumours that
>SGI would release her FS as open source, so that it can be adopted by
>Linux, but by now there is no way to extend thos limitation.

SGI XFS would not resolve the issue.

The *actual* issue is that the standard struct used for referencing
files on 32 bit platforms provides only 32 bits to indicate position.

There is a LFS API based on the one designed for the UNIX Large File
Summit; you must recompile programs to use that API, and are likely to
lose on performance on IA-32 if you do so.  Some FSF/GNU tools make it
fairly easy to do that recompile when the software was specifically
designed to be portable; Milage Will Vary.
--
I just removed the instructions in MC:COMMON;LINS > which specify that it
should be installed on AI.  We'll certainly miss that machine, and probably

From: "TomG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Can I switch from OS/2 to Linux and be happy?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:37:21 -0400

I don't understand.  You would like apps that are just like your favorite
OS/2 apps, a workplace shell that is just like OS/2's, and you would, I
presume, like to be just as comfortable and productive as you are on OS/2.

This is going to sound sarcastic and I do not mean it to be but... I think
you know what OS you should be using...

------------------------------

From: "Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Attension !!! I can not instal 2nd linux in same disk
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:56:55 GMT

Hey first of all   I tried to use fdisk (linux of course) because I have an
long experience
(I have never used Disk Druid before) so fdisk gave me masage There is no
space to create a partition When I tried to add one and I have at least 1
1/2 Gb free disk space
I want U try by yourself.
I will try to do next I will erase Caldera. I will install Redhat After this
I will try install Caldera
Let 's try it  Maybe Something Wrong with fdisk of Redhat ( I have been
using fdisk of Redhat since 1997 Redhat 4.1)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
\> Hi,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles E Taylor IV)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:21:39 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Adam Haeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I use Licq at work all the time and it works great.

Anyone know whether it's been fixed to work on Alpha/Linux yet?

Charles E Taylor IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Visit me on the web!
http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David)
Subject: Re: modem not responding
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:40:18 GMT

How do you tell?

David.

------------------------------

From: alex@ifurita. (Alex Taylor)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:40:19 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:38:32 GMT, Zephyr Q <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       I'm making the switch from OS/2 to Linux, and *really*
>would like some similar functionality with the following
>apps:

BTW, most of the apps I mention should be available in a full
distribution - if not, Linuxberg probably has most of them
(www.linuxberg.com).

>       A mail client as functional as PMMail (nested folders,
>remote control)

OK, I don't know about PMMail features, but the most favoured
mail clients on Linux tend to be:

 - mutt (console app)
 - tkrat (simple but powerful GUI mailreader)
 - postilion (souped-up tkrat with improved GUI)
 - balsa (GNOME mail program still pretty alpha but supposed to be
     really powerful)
 - xfmail (has lots of features, inc. nested folders, simple if plain
     GUI, also supposed to be pretty powerful, also more developed)
 - pine (console only, very simple, really only for IMAP mail)

I think xfmail or possibly balsa or postilion are your best bet.

>       A news client as good as ProNews (sigh, I know this one
>might be a long shot...)

Heh.  I'm afraid the newsreader pickings are pretty sparse.  slrn is
pretty decent but it's console only, which limits it somewhat.  knews is
(minimally) graphical, and also good, but has some annoying limitations
(doesn't multithread well, for one thing).  Netscape's reader is available,
of course, if you like it (which I don't).

I think xemacs includes a newsreader.  There are a bunch of console ones,
like trn, tin, etc.  Otherwise, there are some alpha-level ones under
development, mostly in the KDE and GNOME software trees.  All pretty
unstable im my experience, but YMMV.

My own plan for this is a newsreader I'm trying to write myself, in
Java, which I plan to approximate ProNews in features.  Still a ways off,
even for pre-alpha, though.

>       A slim browser that handles pages well (I never did like
>Netscape 2.02 for OS/2 much and Opera never panned out...)

Well, there's Lynx, which is console-only, Mosaic, which is years old,
Arena, which is incomplete, the KDE and Gnome file managers, which
are still pretty alpha, and Mozilla, which is coming along nicely but
may be too rough-edged for your liking.

Or there's Netscape, in several versions.  Take your pick...

>       Configuration tools (I don't need my hand held, but I also
>don't have a lot of time wading through scripts...).

Pretty well all distros have these to some extent, 'cept maybe
Slackware.  SuSE and RedHat are traditionally good here, Caldera
is supposed to be really nice in the latest iteration, and the new
Corel distro (upcoming) looks very promising.

I like Debian, which is the most powerful and fully automated, ONCE
you understand how it works.  I wouldn't recommend this for people
who don't have a pretty good feel for a Linux system already, though.

HTH...

--
==========================
Alex Taylor

------------------------------

From: "Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:06:41 GMT

Try by yourself !!!!!!!!
To make same mounting point  /
if U will use SCOUnix or any BSD  fdisk  will do it for U Why ?
 they Have different id

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: M. James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:55:18 -0700

        What are you trying to log out of?  X or a console?
        If you are stuck in X, hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to get to a console, then
try to logout from the command line.  As far as being stuck in a console, I
have never had it happen to me, so I have no real solution for that.

*** Make sure you save any data from your apps before striking the X server.

        As far as the time resetting every boot...could be the battery that
powers the system clock.

------------------------------

From: Simon Pallister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cracks for Linux?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:12:18 +1700

Cracks for Linux? Oxymoronic don't you think?

From: "Richard Hudson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Accessing windows 98 files from Linux ?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:16:34 +0800

Hi everyone,

 I have a Dell Inspiron 7K laptop with Rage LT pro card,
 and  am working through getting  X to work.
 I am relatively new to the Linux field and have Redhat 5.2. Also on the PC
I have Win 98 and Win NT ( I know, I know boo hiss).

 One of my problems is that until I get RH 5.2  X and packages working
 comfortably I am having to using Win 98 to surf and get down loads from the
net.
 I have found the excellant explore2fs but wondered if there was a
 program that went the other way so I could either copy files off a
 windows floppy onto linux, run a windows app that will copy both ways
 or run a linux app that could drap stuff from windows.

 Any perls (sic) of wisdom would be much appreciated.

 Richard Hudson