Linux-Misc Digest #441, Volume #24               Thu, 11 May 00 21:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Automounting CD-ROM and Floppy? (Ruediger Otte)
  Re: What does 'susewmif' do? (Ruediger Otte)
  Re: Moving linux from a to b (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Automounting CD-ROM and Floppy? (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Linux Printers (Robert Heller)
  Re: Printer does not work in Linux (Robert Heller)
  Re: Patches for ATA 66 support in 2.2 kernel! (Hal Burgiss)
  bpBatch "setpartions" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Internal Robotics modem problem ("Boomer")
  Re: FreeBSD and Linux ("John S. Dyson")
  Full difference between ttyS* and cua* devices? (bpb)
  Re: restricting access (Sam E. Trenholme)
  Re: Internal Robotics modem problem (Sam E. Trenholme)
  Re: what is a ram disk? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RH 6.2 Xwindows flickers but does not start (root)
  Re: News client ("knud")
  Re: KDE and GONE ("knud")
  Re: German Govt says Microsoft a security risk (mlw)
  Re: FreeBSD and Linux (Robert Glass)
  Re: German Govt says Microsoft a security risk (Christopher Browne)
  Re: WANTED: Champion (Christopher Browne)
  Re: FreeBSD and Linux (Christopher Browne)
  Re: FreeBSD and Linux (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Printer does not work in Linux (John Alam)
  test ("Terrence Coccoli")
  test2 ("Terrence Coccoli")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ruediger Otte)
Subject: Re: Automounting CD-ROM and Floppy?
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 23:55:53 +0200

In article Automounting CD-ROM and Floppy?,
        Allister Miller writes:
> Can anyone send me a working amd.conf script and device map script as my
> instalation has made a bit of a hash of setting this up for me...

Why you don't use autofs and the kernel-based automounter?

It works fine for me with cdrom, floppy and zip-disks.

Ruediger

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ruediger Otte)
Subject: Re: What does 'susewmif' do?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:15:47 +0200

In article What does 'susewmif' do?,
        John Scudder writes:
> I noticed that on the  SuSE KDE desktop the 'yast'  applnk executes the
> following:
>
> 'susewmif yast'
>
> What is does 'susewmif' do?  Is it some type of window manager for
> console programs?   Can it be used with other options beside yast?

Hello,

'susewmif' is a shell-script that can be called with several options.
'yast' is just one of them. It executes a su-to-root in xterm and then
starts YaST.
Just look inside the script with less or any texteditor and search for
other functions. One that I know is 'kernelconfig' or anything similar
which starts a 'make xconfig' in /usr/src.

Hope this helps,

Ruediger

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Moving linux from a to b
Date: 11 May 2000 17:26:49 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, matt  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Problem 2 disks on linux one is new the other almost full.
>
>I wish to transfer one complete linux setup from on disk to
>another ie from 'a' drive to 'b' drive.
>
>The b drive is new and the a drive has linux loaded on.
>
>What is the best way of doing it ?
>Format the partitions first then.
>
>/
>tar -xvf backup.tar *
>
>or cp -p / /dev/hda3
                   ^b?
You don't want to copy /proc.  Try:
cp --one-file-system -a / /dev/hdb3
repeat with any other mounted partitions, fix up the copied etc/fstab,
and you may need to make the proc directory.  Note that this won't
make the drive bootable.  If you are leaving the disks in place,
just adjust /etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo.  If you swap drives
you can boot with a floppy to run lilo afterwards.

  Les Mikesell

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:41:32 GMT

On Thu, 11 May 2000 23:55:53 +0200, Ruediger Otte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article Automounting CD-ROM and Floppy?,
>       Allister Miller writes:
>> Can anyone send me a working amd.conf script and device map script as my
>> instalation has made a bit of a hash of setting this up for me...
>>

>Why you don't use autofs and the kernel-based automounter?
>
>It works fine for me with cdrom, floppy and zip-disks.

        What about user permissions? Doesn't the automounter only
        mount things as one user, likely root?

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Printers
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:43:10 GMT

  George Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Thu, 11 May 2000 13:04:42 -0400, wrote :

GB> Does anyone know which brands offer a real postscript printer?  Are
GB> there any brands that work especially well in Linux?

HP sells such printers, but they are not cheap -- $1000+ for a *B&W*
laser postscript printer.

Unless you need the speed or have the cash to burn (and don't need/want
color), you can use almost any *decent* inkjet printer that Ghostscript
supports.  Such as most Epsons, Cannons, and many HPs.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer does not work in Linux
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:43:11 GMT

  In a message on Thu, 11 May 2000 08:38:42 -0400, wrote :

GB> Hello,
GB>
GB>   I have a Xerox WorkCentre XK35c.  I have had it for a few months and
GB> it has worked fine in Win98, but it is quite unresponsive in Linux.
GB> When I installed the aps filter I chose the "xes" printer filter.  Xes
GB> was the closest to my Xerox printer, but not exact. But nothing happens
GB> when I try to print, not even error messages:
GB>
GB> #lp -Pascii myfile.txt
GB>
GB> request id is root@mycomputer+129
GB>
GB> Printer: lp@mycomputer 'xes letter auto color 600"
GB>
GB> nothing happens(yes, the printer is switched on!) and then..
GB>
GB> #lpq
GB>
GB> Queue: no printer jobs available in queue
GB>
GB> A lising of drivers with "lsmod" command shows that everything is in
GB> order :
GB> parprobe_probe, parport_pc, lp, parport, all there.
GB>
GB> My manual for the printer explicitly states requirement of Windows os,
GB> so I have a bad feeling about this.  Has anybody ever gotten this kind
GB> of printer to work in Linux?  Are there any alternative drivers that
GB> might work?

This sounds like a controller-less 'winprinter'.  Won't work with linux.
You can get a decent Epson, Cannon, or HP (none of the x20's).

--
                                     \/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Patches for ATA 66 support in 2.2 kernel!
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:48:51 GMT

On Fri, 12 May 2000 00:25:12 +0800, Orange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I have once found a web site with patches for 2.2.10 or above kernel to
>have ATA 66 support but I have forgotten about it.  Can anyone tell me
>about it? Please don't tell things like ATA 66 is supported in 2.3 or
>in the keeping delay 2.4 only because Debian included the patches and
>the coming Mandrake 7.1 included the support. Thank for your kindly
>concern!

I think you can find them at www.linux-ide.org. Also, at all kernel
mirrors under people/hedrick.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: bpBatch "setpartions"
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:42:54 GMT

I'm using bpBatch to install linux to multiple boxes.
I get an error saying "partitions are too big" if I try and set a 8Gb
"/" partition
any ideas?

fahd

From: "Boomer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Internal Robotics modem problem
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 18:38:35 -0700

I am running Corel Linux OS Deluxe. Corel Linux is powered by the Debian
Linux distribution and a set of complimentary tools & utilities from GNU.
I tried to setup a Internal Robotics modem
(33KC) on COM2 using the network / dial-up option
When I connect to the ISP,
I get Modem ready, Dialing,
Logging on to network.
Then I get Linux ERROR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The PPPD daemon died unexpectedly!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How do I fix this problem?
Hardware:
150 MHz Pentium CPU, 13 GB harddrive,
Using External Robotics Modem on COM2.
ISP is IWAYNET (Local ISP)
Primary DNS 198-30-29-7
Secondary DNS 198-30-29-8
Thank You for any help or suggestions.
Bert Edwards
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "John S. Dyson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD and Linux
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:57:50 -0500

John Hasler wrote:

> Steve O'Hara-Smith writes:
> > I did hear of this being done once, Linux userland and FreeBSD kernel.
>
> There has been discussion on the Debian mailing lists of developing Debian
> GNU/FreeBSD.  I haven't followed it and don't know that anything is
> actually being done, but it might be worth doing just to make steam come
> out of John Dyson's ears.

Actually, it would kind of be cool -- further indicating that FreeBSD can
easily substitute for Linux, and still perform better :-).  Why waste time
and effort on GPV'ed code anyway, when you could actually work to
make money, etc???  If one somehow works themselves into the poor
house, working on GPV'ed code, who is going to support the person
who wasted their time.  (Of course, continuing to hack and add on to
existant works by hacking or other support functions can easily support
GPV workers -- it is the inventive who don't get much out of the
GPV :-)).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | it makes one look stupid
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | and it irritates the pig.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bpb)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Full difference between ttyS* and cua* devices?
Date: 11 May 2000 23:34:26 GMT

What are the full differences between using the ttyS* and cua*
devices?  I understand the ttyS devices can supply "canonical" I/O
and that they are used primarily for modem, but that's about it.

I ask because I ran into a problem with some GPS software I
am writing, where it would not work with ttyS1 but worked as
expected with cua1.

What tcsetattr() incantation is required to get ttyS* to
behave as a cua*?  Where can I find more detailed information
about this (the Serial and Serial-Programming HOWTOs don't
go into full detail on the differences).

thanks,
-bpb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.list,linux.redhat.list
Subject: Re: restricting access
Date: 11 May 2000 16:42:58 -0700

>Is there a way to restrict access to a particular machine based on the
>ethernet card addresses of machines trying to make the connection? The
>machine I want to limit access to runs linux RedHat 6.0.

Use the Source, Luke.

Do this: Get tcp_wrappers, or some such, and add support for this.  Have
it look in /proc/net/arp for the ip someone is connecting with, and get
the arp entry from that.  Mkae sure the HW address is kosher.

If you feel especially generous, share yoour patches to tcp_wrappers or
whatever with the rest of us here on the internet.

Experience the power of open source software at work!

- Sam

--
Go to http://samiam.org/cgi-bin/mailme to get my email address

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Subject: Re: Internal Robotics modem problem
Date: 11 May 2000 16:44:42 -0700

>I tried to setup a Internal Robotics modem
>(33KC) on COM2 using the network / dial-up option

Check to see if the modem works with minicom.

        cd /dev
        ln -s cua1 modem
        minicom

- Sam

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: what is a ram disk?
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 23:48:20 GMT

Aditya Rustgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> hi there,,
>          I was just curious reading one of the postings.. can you tell me
> what a ram disk is? and how is it different from memory or hard disk.?
> thanx

In the dim and distant past, when storage media were slow, and...well..
crap, one method was to use RAM Disks. (ZX SPECTRUM 128 for example)
These are basically file-systems in RAM, accessed as if the files were on a
hard disk or floppy.

They still have their uses.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED],uk   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   |                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E--  W+ N++ o+ K PS+ w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 6.2 Xwindows flickers but does not start
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 18:53:16 -0500

Hal:

Thanks for your help. I was able to get in with linux 3 and startx
manually.

I did verify that my TTF path is out of the /etc/X11/fs/config font
filepath and I do not have anything in my rc.local.

I do not understand how all of the rc files work, so I do not know if
there remains an rc.init conflict.

I still get the video card probe-like flicker on automatic start up of
X, but can at least get into Xwindows.

Any further ideas on starting it automatically?

Thanks again,
Kurt

------------------------------

From: "knud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: News client
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 19:55:51 -0500

I recommend PAN which can be snarfed from http://www.superpimp.org . Of
course, I have no idea if it displays images...

------------------------------

From: "knud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE and GONE
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 20:01:27 -0500

Personally, I prefer KDE simply because it "feels" more like the Win95 I
(unfortunately) came from. However, most of the really cool apps are
written for GNOME (written using those libraries anyways). My solutions is
to use KDE and also have the GNOME libraries installed. Luckily both KDE
and GNOME will launch apps written for the other (as long as the
appropriate shared libraries are installed).

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: German Govt says Microsoft a security risk
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 20:01:34 -0400

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> You are correct.  There identification of an "evil other" as the root of
> one's problems is not unique to WWII Germany.  Neither is the
> expansionist political and economic agenda of the country during that
> time.  My point is simply that no government that calls itself democatic
> should actively promote intolerance and exclusion based on differences
> such as religion or race.  That the German government is restricting
> free speech and free religion in this way is frightening given what was
> happening there 2 generations ago.

I have no problem with the idea that people who practice and promote
irrational behavior be considered a security risk. Most religion is
irrational.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Glass)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 11 May 2000 23:36:52 GMT

On Thu, 11 May 2000 16:26:29 +0200, frans abels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have been experimenting with FreeBSD lately, comparing it to Linux.
>Here are some questions that I still have
>
>1. FreeBSD runs Linux binaries. Does this mean that I can install a
>FreeBSD kernel
>in a Linux distribution?

I don't know, but I don't think so.

>2. Is it possible to mount the sub-partitions of a FreeBSD-slice in
>Linux?

Yes. You need to compile the Linux kernel with UFS filesystem support and
BSD disklabel support. Partitions within a FreeBSD slice will look like
logical drives within an extended partition to Linux. You can also use
FreeBSD's swap partition as your Linux swap partition (but not, as far as I
know, vice versa).

>3. FreeBSD (and BeOS too) won't boot from chos (run from Linux). Is this
>a bug in chos?

I could never get chos to boot FreeBSD (no problem with lilo). I've heard of
people booting BeOS with chos, but I've never installed BeOS, so I can't
confirm this.

>4. Why isn't there something like the ports system in Linux?

As others have pointed out, Debian's apt-get is similar.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

RG

--
Robert Glass
Military historian, film buff, and (alas) Minnesota Twins fan

2. excès
exclure la raison, n'admettre que la raison.
--Pascal, Pensées

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:35:31 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when John Hasler would say:
>mlw writes:
>> The german people are no more to blame for there actions than the
>> countless other peoples and nations which have had similar atrocities.
>
>And no less.
>
>> I have no right telling anyone what they should believe.
>
>But German politicians have the right to tell their citizens that they
>should not believe in Scientology?

They appear to regard it as a "cult" rather than as an ordinary
religion.  I would tend to agree with that regard.

>> Why should I be bombarded by religious zealots telling me I should
>> believe in some hokey 2000 year old religion about some guy who got
>> nailed to a dead tree?
>
>If you live in Germany (or many other nations), because the politicians who
>decide who is permitted to do such bombarding are followers of that
>religion.
>
>> Human beings are very irrational in their actions when it comes to
>> pleasing a deity through the commands of a religion. True believer's of
>> any religion are, by very definition, irrational.
>
>And therefor governments, consisting as they do of human beings, must not
>be allowed to regulate religion.

Ah, but if they cannot have _any_ regulations on religion or religious
activity, this means that those that would wish to do nefarious things
need only establish themselves as a religion, and establish the
nefarious activities as religious activities.

There's something of a "meta-religion" question here.

Scientology has some activities (running businesses, running
conferences, providing "business technologies") that appear _not_ to
be religious matters.

Whilst religious organizations traditionally encourage the widespread
dissemenation of their "scriptures," whether that be the Koran, the
Christian Bible, Hindu scriptures, or such, Scientology are quite
taken <http://www.scientology.org/csi.htm> with copyright, and are
noted for _vigorously_ pursuing anyone that distributes material
outside their control.

If you regard religious activities as being inherently irrational, and
thereby a "bad thing," then the _appropriate_ direction that comes
from that regard should be to forbid them altogether.  Which certainly
doesn't lead to permissiveness towards the Scientologists...
--
"Bother,"  said Pooh,  "Eeyore, ready  two photon  torpedoes  and lock
phasers on the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: WANTED: Champion
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:35:34 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Sam E. Trenholme would
say:
>>This software is CURRENTLY not open source since the author makes a
>>living writing software
>
>I wish the utmost of success for this software, but I have serious
>reservations about this package thriving.

I have more than merely "reservations" about the likelihood of it
thriving, and, if the licensing approach remains proprietary, thus
indicating that the producers are gaining from others' contributions,
but not freely contributing themselves, I have some reservations about
the notion of wishing them success.

>Considering the number of free and public-domain toolkits out there, which
>this list just gives a sampling of, there is a lot of competition out
>there:
>
>       http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html
>       http://www.free-soft.org/guitool/

Indeed.  The likelihood of a "not open source" GUI framework becoming
the "the native GUI of Linux" is _vanishingly_ small.

(Actually, it's _impossible_ unless the framework is released under a
license compatible with the GPL, as, to become a truly "native" GUI
for Linux, it would have to be somehow integrated with the Linux
kernel, and such integration would _MANDATE_ using the GPL.  Section
2(b), for any "license lawyers" out there...)

The downside to the claim that "not open source" is somehow associated
with "making a living writing software" is that those that are picking
tools are likely to prefer the one that is more available.

Thus diminishing interest in the "not open source" options, and
outright diminishing the ability of those that are trying to sell
those options to earn their living doing so.

A more useful approach would be to try to get a group together to get
skilled with the package, and then try to "pitch" it to one of the
major Linux vendors (e.g. - RHAT, LNUX, SuSE, TurboLinux, ...) with a
view to seeing them sponsor further development of it in an "open
source" form.

But if Sergio seriously wants to pull people into that process at
_this_ stage, I would suggest that he open up his pocketbook, and
offer some combination of Real $$$, perhaps with an option on
ownership of the enterprise that does that initial development.

The notion that people will find it a Wise Move to send in $10 per
head to "Sergio Enterprises" seems vanishingly unlikely.

_That_ kind of licensing cost makes it vastly too expensive to include
with any of the Linux "boxed sets," where it is highly probable that
the vendors make far less than $10 per box.
--
The nice thing about Windows is  - It does not just crash, it displays
a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.  (Arno Schaefer's .sig)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:35:37 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Leslie Mikesell would say:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>4. Why isn't there something like the ports system in Linux?
>>
>>Have a look at Debian's apt-get.  It's not quite the same, but provides
>>something similar.  Also, *BSD development is far more centralized than
>>Linux development, so it's easier for the maintainers to say that ports
>>will be included and done in such and such a way.
>
>Yes - each major distribution has it's own way of packaging things.
>If you have done something odd to your libraries so the abundently
>available binaries won't work the sources are also available.  With
>rpm based distributions you would grab an srpm and use rpm --rebuild.

apt-get is _not_ a packaging mechanism, and is in _no way_ comparable
to RPM.  Suggesting that RPM is equivalent to apt-get is roughly
analagous to suggesting that Tar and Make are basically equivalent.

What _is_ analagous, with Debian, to RPM, is dpkg.

In contrast, apt-get is a mechanism for trying to _satisfy_
dependancies.  An apt comparison would be to Make, which is probably
_exactly_ the program that BSD Ports uses to establish and satisfy
interpackage dependancies.  The nearest equivalent, for RPM-based
distributions, is AutoRPM.  It is findable at
<http://www.kaybee.org/~kirk/html/linux.html>.  I am not sure that
AutoRPM is usable for other than Red Hat Linux; it looks like it ought
to be usable with other RPM-based systems, but I cannot say for sure.

>>>5. Is FreeBSD a real UNIX? Is Solaris? Linux seems to be not
>>>UNIX...Unix...unix?
>>
>>Unix is a registered trademark of Bell Labs, and as such, only OSes that
>>contain code from there and/or have been vetted/approved by Bell Labs can
>>legally call themselves Unix.  Hence, Gnu's Not Unix and Linux Is Not
>>UniX.  BSD may have a better claim to being "Real Unix" than Linux does,
>>since the original BSD source contained some code from Bell Labs IIRC.
>
>I think they walked away from that claim when BSDI was being sued
>by AT&T over that very issue.  Since the lawsuit was settled out
>of court I guess we have to take their word for it.

There are, periodically, sanctimonious comments to the effect that
"BSD is _really_ a UNIX, whilst Linux is _not_."

The claims are based on archaeology, rather than any _present_
reality.  If you look at what was _legally_ called UNIX, ten years
ago, BSD is somewhat descended from that.

Of course, if you look at what is _BRANDED_ as UNIX, today, BSD
doesn't qualify any more than Linux does.  Both OSes' lack of STREAMS
support being probably the most notable thing disqualifying them from
satisfying UNIX standardization requirements.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:35:37 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Andreas Kahari would say:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, frans abels  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >I have been experimenting with FreeBSD lately, comparing it to Linux.
>> >Here are some questions that I still have
>>
>> >1. FreeBSD runs Linux binaries. Does this mean that I can install a
>> >FreeBSD kernel
>> >in a Linux distribution?
>>
>> kernels aren't binaries and vice-versa.
>
>I think he ment something on the lines of "If FreeBSD can run Linux
>binaries, then why not replace the Linux kernel with a FreeBSD kernel
>and use emulation to run all Linux applications?", or maybe "Why not
>make a GNU/FreeBSD system?!".

<http://master.debian.org/~dexter/debian-freebsd/> appears to have the
beginnings of Debian/FreeBSD.

<http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-project-9911/msg00042.html>
has a discussion thread entitled "Stop Debian/FreeBSD," so evidently
some people aren't thrilled with the idea...
--
Oh,  boy, virtual memory!  Now I'm  gonna make  myself a  really *big*
RAMdisk!

------------------------------

From: John Alam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 20:48:00 -0300

Me too.  me too.  me too.

I have been experimenting with various distros of Linux.  I am able to
follow some of the commands, and have been able to accomplish a number of
things.  For instance, I have a DSL connection that I am sharing with at
least 5 other computers using a router running off a floppy disk (Thanks
Coyote.)

I have yet to be able to figure out how to print using either of my
printers, I have an IBM 4019, and an HP LaserJet series II.

Would someone please offer some simple advice as to how I could print to
one of the printers?  I have read a couple of Hot-Tos, but it seems I am a
little too dense to follow those.

Thanks,

John Alam

From: "Terrence Coccoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>