Linux-Misc Digest #441, Volume #25               Mon, 14 Aug 00 02:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Problem w/jdk 1.1.7 (William W.)
  netscape dies suddenly on slackware (Peter R. Schmitt)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (John Hasler)
  Re: Accessing NTSC-partitions (Sandy Drobic)
  Re: You donot exists (Sandy Drobic)
  Re: netscape dies suddenly on slackware (Carl Fink)
  Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Allowing all users to access and write to a partition (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Attn: Bob M (Richard Steiner)
  Re: KVM Mouse Problems (Richard Steiner)
  Re: netscape dies suddenly on slackware (Bev)
  Re: Are there substantially more/less RPMs for RH or SuSE? (blowfish)
  Re: Problem w/jdk 1.1.7 (William W.)
  Re: Dreamweaver port for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: how  and where do I get linux? (Bev)
  Re: Anyone installed Gnome on WinLinux? | Help with .tar.gz install??? (A 13yrs boy
from Hong Kong)
  Re: Help: Backspacing in Terminal Input (Oliver Gebele)
  Re: KVM Mouse Problems (Denver Timothy)
  Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!! ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: Dreamweaver port for Linux? ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: netscape dies suddenly on slackware ("Andrew N. McGuire ")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William W.)
Subject: Re: Problem w/jdk 1.1.7
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:11:16 GMT

In our last episode (13 Aug 2000 23:17:39 GMT),
the artist formerly known as Peter T. Breuer said:

>The missing libs are defined by LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the script. By any
>chance are you running the binaries directly? Nooooooooooo.

It's not an issue of missing libraries. The libraries are there, but
there is an unresolved symbol `_dl_symbol_value' in libjava.so. All of
the binaries are symlinked to .java_wrapper, which sets all of the
environment variables and calls the appropriate real binary. It doesn't
matter whether I run the wrapper or set the environment manually and run
the real binaries; it still gives me the unresolved symbol error.

Cheers.

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter R. Schmitt)
Subject: netscape dies suddenly on slackware
Date: 14 Aug 2000 03:08:06 GMT

Hi, guyz
    Got a quandary here, and searching deja isn't helping.
    I've had this problem with netscape abruptly terminating on slack 7
when I close a spawned (open new) window. It does NOT dump core, or
leave a lock file. It just plain goes away.
    This aggravates me. Any clues as to what is causing this?
    I also find that netscape data transfers sporadically stop for no
particular reason, and then resume when I move my mouse. What's up with
THAT? I've seen that very same symptom on very different hardware combos
so I doubt that hardware is an issue. No other apps behave that way.
    Clues???
    Pete.

--
- Nobody moves very much in a Hanna Barbera cartoon! - Zorak
- The GPL: Free as in Speech, NOT Free as in FREELOAD!

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 02:12:13 GMT

Andrew Halliwell writes:
> Never heard of the /*comment*/?  All good source code has it.  Even if
> they can't understand what the code itself does, the comments will
> explain it.

Good comments don't tell you what the code does, they tell you why it does
it.

--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sandy Drobic)
Subject: Re: Accessing NTSC-partitions
Date: 13 Aug 2000 23:41:00 +0100

When on 13.08.00 I read a letter from Dances With Crows
about: "Re: Accessing NTSC-partitions",
I decided to do war and invoked my tribal gods with:

>> In SuSE Linux I can only access an NTSC partition in write protect mode.
>> How do I get a write access?

> NTSC is National Television Standards Committee, the broadcast format
> used for TV in the USA.  I had no idea there was a partition type dedicated
> solely for storing images in that format :-]

Gyaah!  Sorry, it was reaaaal late, when I wrote that. ;-)

> If you mean "NTFS", write support for NTFS partitions is in the
> experimental stages and trying it out can easily corrupt your
> filesystem.  You must either recompile the kernel or compile a couple of
> modules, saying Y or M to "NTFS Read Support" and "NTFS Write Support
> (DANGEROUS)" inside of "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig".

I know, in SuSE Linux 6.3 I have already destroyed the filesystem of one
NTSF-Partition.  Now, in SuSE 6.4, I can only find the readonly option.

Sandy

--
Wie lange dauert ein Lichtjahr...?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sandy Drobic)
Subject: Re: You donot exists
Date: 13 Aug 2000 23:47:00 +0100

When on 13.08.00 I read a letter from
about: "You donot exists",
I decided to do war and invoked my tribal gods with:

> i tried to configure linux Server as a NIs server and NFs server. it
> worked fine for some time  but now i am getting error message like
> " You donot exists , Go away"

I guess the system is trying to tell you, that you do not have a valid
user account.

Sandy

--
Give me your smile, folks !!!  :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: netscape dies suddenly on slackware
Date: 14 Aug 2000 04:05:04 GMT

On 14 Aug 2000 03:08:06 GMT Peter R. Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    I've had this problem with netscape abruptly terminating on slack 7
>when I close a spawned (open new) window. It does NOT dump core, or
>leave a lock file. It just plain goes away.

You might say what *version* of Netscape you mean.  I had this
problem with 4.5, but never with 4.63.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.network,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!!
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:12:52 GMT

   Euwwwwwww.......yoooooo are a JERK!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Allowing all users to access and write to a partition
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:43:04 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Richard Steiner wrote:
>
>> While I certainly agree that it's not a good thing to be pompous, it
>> is sometimes hard to see the same old obvious questions repeated day
>> after day after day.
>
>Then don't answer.

That's my own approach to it, yes.  :-)  And it's good general advice,
at least IMO.

I use an offline newsreader here (does batch downloads and uploads of
messages), so sometimes a reply sits here and simmers for a while in my
logical out basket until it's actually sent, which gives me additional
time to reflect on it before actually sending it.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Attn: Bob M
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:47:21 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
spake unto us, saying:

>Some Compaqs (maybe all?) come with the BIOS stored on the harddrive
>and not in a BIOS chip that most motherboards use.  This data is stored
>on something like the first 4MBs of the hard drive.  I believe it is
>the F10 key that needs to be hit.  A search of http://www.deja.com
>may give more specific answers.

My two Compaq Deskpro 6000 boxes (PPros) have a primary disk partition
that contains BIOS access/settings software and diagnostic software,
but the BIOS itself doesn't reside there.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
                   Error c80001: Compiler out of patience

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: KVM Mouse Problems
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:50:10 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Jim Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>We have a Belkin OmniPro 8 port KVM switch that does not work
>with RH6.2.  The mouse behaves as if it is receiving a continuous
>random stream of up, right and click messages. The cursor stays
>in the upper right corner and jumps back there if moved away.
>Needless to say, it is unusable.

Is it a PS/2 or a serial mouse?

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
         I am the dragon.  You are not the dragon.  Any questions?

------------------------------

From: Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:20:23 -0700

Carl Fink wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2000 03:08:06 GMT Peter R. Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >    I've had this problem with netscape abruptly terminating on slack 7
> >when I close a spawned (open new) window. It does NOT dump core, or
> >leave a lock file. It just plain goes away.

But not all the time, right?  Maybe 1/3 of the time, and it doesn't matter
whether I click on the little X up in the corner or CLOSE in the file menu,
it still exits.  And it also happens when I feed in a password to a website
or news or mail server.

> You might say what *version* of Netscape you mean.  I had this
> problem with 4.5, but never with 4.63.

According to people in the netscape/unix newsgroup, it happens to
EVERYBODY.  I've been using 4.51 for about a year with SuSE 6.1 with no
problem, but when I upgraded to 6.4 the terminations started.  I did NOT
install a new netscape along with the SuSE update.

Mentioned as a possible solution (which didn't work for me) is deleting all
the .summary files in your mail subdirectories and letting them re-form.

Piece of shit.  Too bad there isn't anything better.

Bev
"America is at an awkward stage: it is too late to work within the
system, but it is too early to shoot the bastards."  -Claire Wolfe

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are there substantially more/less RPMs for RH or SuSE?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:32:56 -0700

"Prasanth A. Kumar" wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > aflinsch wrote:

> > > I agree with you on the compile from source, but that looses whatever
> > > advantages that rpm has (notably the ease of finding exactly what is
> > > installed on the system).
> > >
> > > Personally I prefer rebuilding rpms from a src rpm, then installing.
> > > that gives me the advantages of both worlds.
> >
> > Actually.  Building entirly from source is really not that much more
> > work, or any more difficult than building from tar balls.
> >
> > Plus, you can change whatever you want if you compile from source to
> > suit your own needs.  Isn't that one of the main reason why we prefer
> > opensource? No? :-)
> >
> > -Alex / blowfish.
>
> Are 'ports' only available as source packages? Building from source
> packages is all well and fine by have you ever tried compiling KDE
> from source? It takes a couple hours to crunch through that assuming
> you have all the pieces needed to build it and some of us don't have
> that time...

Sorry for this very late reply. It just showed up on my news server.

Port will fetch everything, all dependency files, MD5 checked, patched the
necessary patches, then configure, build and install without baby sitting.

> --
> Prasanth Kumar

- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture:-Version
2.4-pre-release99999-test-1234567.pre-beta5000.)
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSzzzzz!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female deer.)
RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A needle
pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That will bring
us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William W.)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 05:11:16 GMT

In our last episode (Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:11:16 GMT),
the artist formerly known as William W. said:
>In our last episode (13 Aug 2000 23:17:39 GMT),
>the artist formerly known as Peter T. Breuer said:
>>
>>The missing libs are defined by LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the script. By any
>>chance are you running the binaries directly? Nooooooooooo.
>
>It's not an issue of missing libraries. The libraries are there, but
>there is an unresolved symbol `_dl_symbol_value' in libjava.so. All of
>the binaries are symlinked to .java_wrapper, which sets all of the
>environment variables and calls the appropriate real binary. It doesn't
>matter whether I run the wrapper or set the environment manually and run
>the real binaries; it still gives me the unresolved symbol error.

I found some suggestions on Sun's Java forum that it might be a conflict
with my version of glibc. I don't know if that's really the problem, but
I switched to JDK 1.1.8 and it works just spiffy.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dreamweaver port for Linux?
Date: 13 Aug 2000 22:18:44 PST

Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> vi. what real web-heads use. :-)

I do use vim for cgi scripting and quick HTML edits -- but
I manage a very large Web site much of which is articles and
other text documents -- it's nice to have a good editor like
Dreamweaver for such tasks.

--

Neil

------------------------------

From: Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how  and where do I get linux?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:16:46 -0700

Michael Mitchell wrote:

> Start at http://www.linux.org and if the info you
> need isn't there, you could bet good money that it links to somewhere that
> covers the subject.  There is a Spanish how-to and probably many sites written
> in Spanish on Linux distributions.

Or feed the URL into http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn .

Bev
"Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's already built
 into the User?"             -- Steve Shaw, regarding Win95

------------------------------

From: A 13yrs boy from Hong Kong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone installed Gnome on WinLinux? | Help with .tar.gz install???
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 05:29:44 GMT

Please remove the old version before installing the new version!!
And, if you want to install RPMs in Slackware, use rpm2tgz or rpm2targz
to convert RPMs to Slackware-compatiable .tgz files before installing.
e.g. convert example.rpm to example.tgz :
rpm2targz example.rpm

From: Oliver Gebele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Backspacing in Terminal Input
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:56:10 +0200

Bob Hauck wrote:
> =

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:07:51 +0200, Oliver Gebele
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> =

> >Keyboard input is with read(*,*) in fortran
> >and on _some_ systems i simply cannot "DELETE"
> >aka BACKSPACE but get ^H instead.
> >
> >I have no idea why, any ideas?
> =

> man stty.  You may need to change the mapping for the "erase"
> character.  As a workaround, try typing Ctrl-H or Ctrl-DEL.

Ctrl-H and Ctrl-DEL does not work either,
i'll check the stty manpage.

solong, oli
-- =

Ich, setze meine Kommas, da wo ich, will hin.
Lank lehbe dih R=E4chtschaiprephorm.

------------------------------

From: Denver Timothy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:52:54 +0000

What kind of mouse is it?
--
Denver Timothy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jim Garrison wrote:

> We have a Belkin OmniPro 8 port KVM switch that does not work
> with RH6.2.  The mouse behaves as if it is receiving a continuous
> random stream of up, right and click messages. The cursor stays
> in the upper right corner and jumps back there if moved away.
> Needless to say, it is unusable.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> --
> Jim Garrison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> PGP Keys at http://www.acm.org/~jhg RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.network,alt.linux
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 00:55:05 -0500

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] quoth:

~~ Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:12:52 GMT
~~ From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.network, alt.linux
~~
~~ In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
~~   Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~ > Visit the following sites to learn how to become rich.
~~ >
~~ > Email me:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] to find out how.
~~
~~    Euwwwwwww.......yoooooo are a JERK!

Damn, your message started out the same way mine did. :-)
Anyway, for those thinking of replying to the blatent SPAM,
I already reported it, look for the subject of this SPAM prefixed
by UCE.

HAND,

anm
--
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                                      |

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 00:58:21 -0500

On 13 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] quoth:

~~ Date: 13 Aug 2000 22:18:44 PST
~~ From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~
~~ > vi. what real web-heads use. :-)
~~
~~ I do use vim for cgi scripting and quick HTML edits -- but
~~ I manage a very large Web site much of which is articles and
~~ other text documents -- it's nice to have a good editor like
~~ Dreamweaver for such tasks.

I know, I was just kidding.  I do not think that there is a port
available or even one in the works.  Then again, I could be 100%
dead wrong, I don't follow those Apps to closely.

anm
--
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 01:00:43 -0500

On 14 Aug 2000, Carl Fink quoth:

~~ Date: 14 Aug 2000 04:05:04 GMT
~~ From: Carl Fink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ On 14 Aug 2000 03:08:06 GMT Peter R. Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~
~~ >    I've had this problem with netscape abruptly terminating on slack 7
~~ >when I close a spawned (open new) window. It does NOT dump core, or
~~ >leave a lock file. It just plain goes away.
~~
~~ You might say what *version* of Netscape you mean.  I had this
~~ problem with 4.5, but never with 4.63.

It has been my experience that any version of Netscape is capable of
producing damned near any undefined behaviour that you can imagine on
damned near any platform you wish to install it on.  OK, that is
an exaggeration, but not by much! :-)

anm
--