Linux-Misc Digest #471, Volume #21               Fri, 20 Aug 99 02:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Having a problem loggin in, need help ("Advanced one corporation")
  Re: Communicator 4.6 kills itself (IceLava)
  maximal mount count - how do you set it? (Charles M)
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Wine Development)
  Re: Help with xcdroast ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: maximal mount count - how do you set it? (Paul Kimoto)
  Redhat: Where is bootpd ("Ralph C. Blach")
  Error in exec of second stage loader RH6 (dana t)
  Re: Can't login !! Help !! (Rachel Chung)
  xntpd: recvfrom() fd=13: Connection refused ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Quake turns off my monitor! (Andy Busch)
  Re: News reader program (Aaron Ginn)
  Change password via Web page (Chris Miller)
  Re: What I think of linux. (Tim Hanson)
  Re: What I think of linux. ("Jeroen Willems")
  Re: TV Tuner in Linux? (William Burrow)
  where?   Re: mem leak in 2.2.11 (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Re: More kind words from M$. (Tristan Wibberley)
  Re: Diskette Longevity ("Will")
  Re: Is there a website for minimalist Linux users? (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Re: Linux on a 286 (William Burrow)
  Re: Comparison needed: *BSD vs. Linux (William Burrow)
  Kernel PCMCIA quiestion (Warren Bell)
  Re: maximal mount count - how do you set it? (John McKown)
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (yan seiner)
  Re: linux on microchannel (Cokey de Percin)

From: "Advanced one corporation" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Having a problem loggin in, need help
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:17:54 +0100

I'm having a problem loggin in. After I have logged in to my localhost by
typing in root and then my password, this message appears:
[root@localhost /root#

What does this message mean and what do I type.
Help is appreciated.

From: IceLava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Communicator 4.6 kills itself
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:32:41 +1000

i juz DLed Communicator 4.61 & it's still the same.  moreover, the xterm
which i use to launch communicator into background will report a bus
error for the netscape process.
[2]+  Bus error               ./netscape

i turned off Java & it works now.  does it mean I'm missing a JVM in
Linux?  it works fine when I use communicator in Windows.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles M)
Subject: maximal mount count - how do you set it?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:46:38 -0500

After so many boots you hit a maximal mount count and you computer does a
forced fsck on the drive. The only thing is, since I am currently dual
booting and hence rebooting Linux twice a day or so, it seems like this
maximal mount count is occuring a bit too often and the waits on fsck are
annoying. I know it does this every so often as part of a general
check/clean up tool, but (with Redhat 6) it seems to do it about every
fifth or sixth time I reboot. Does anyone know which config file(s) set
the value for this upper limit on mount counts? I'ld like to change it.

CMM

------------------------------

From: Wine Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:42:07 +0100

cbrink wrote:

> Ask your prof about BackOrifice 2000
> check out
> http://www.idg.net/crd_security_9-68221.html

Or why MS seem to think that allowing ActiveX downloaded via a browser
to completely bypass the NT user security is a good idea.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help with xcdroast
Date: 20 Aug 1999 04:08:27 GMT

Mark Presley wrote:

> I have been trying to get CD burning software running on my RedHat 6.0
> box.  I have compiled and installed XCDRoast without any problems.  My
> burner is an ATAPI BTC 2x6x2.  I only run IDE drives.  I have looked at
> many documents and have seen references to disabling Generic IDE Support
> and Enabling SCSI Host emulation.  Sometimes documents say I can use
> SCSI host emulation and leave Generic IDE Support other statements
> conflict with that.
>
> I have at this point entered a line in linux.conf of...
>
> hdc=ide-scsi
>
> My original problem remained unchanged.  The software works fine but it
> does not see my writer as a writer it sees at as a reader.
>
> I should mention that when I installed linux did not add the writer to
> fstab automagically. I added the line to fstab of...
>
> /dev/hdc    /mnt/cdrw    iso9660 noauto   0,0
>
> I appreciate any feedback...
>
> -Mark
Check out the new CD-Writing HOWTO
    http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/cdr/html/

If you follow the instructions, it works.  I am running an HP8200 on
RH6.0 and happily burning (CD-RW's that is) away...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: maximal mount count - how do you set it?
Date: 20 Aug 1999 00:19:16 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Charles M wrote:
> After so many boots you hit a maximal mount count and you computer does a
> forced fsck on the drive. [...] Does anyone know which config file(s) set
> the value for this upper limit on mount counts?

It is stored as part of the filesystem, not in a config file.
See the man page for tune2fs(8).  (Note the warning in bold
print: "Never use tune2fs to change parameters of a read/write
mounted filesystem!")

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Ralph C. Blach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat: Where is bootpd
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:23:53 -0400

Ok,

I give up.  In what redhat rpm is bootpd kept?

Thanks

Chip

------------------------------

From: dana t <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Error in exec of second stage loader RH6
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:29:48 GMT

I've tried several times to install RH6 to my computer.  I already have
RH4 on it and wanted to upgrade.

During the install, as soon as the cdrom is initialized the installation
stops with no apparent error.  If I alt-F3 there is a screen with an
error; "error in exec of second stage install: permission denied".  I
have tried many things to get it to work.  I switched from an HP scsi
cdrom to an atapi ide cdrom.  I downloaded a fresh copy of RH6 and
burned a new copy.  I downloaded a new boot.img file and made a new
floppy with it.

I've tried, with no success, to get support from redhat.  They have the
poorest online support system.  Novell has a far superior online support
system.

I loved RH4 and thought RH6 would be even better.

Computer:
IBM PC-750 (desktop, not laptop) 6885-45h, P5-90, 80mb ram, aha2940 with
2.0gb scsi seagate, 3.2gb idehd, HP surestore 6020 scsi cdrom-writer,
3com 3c509b nic, & now a 2x atapi ide cdrom.

Any suggestions before I go to NT?
dana

------------------------------

From: Rachel Chung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Can't login !! Help !!
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:09:51 -0400

/var/log/messages shows the following error messages caused by
"/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon" in /etc/inittab
 gdmgreeter[594]: gdm_greeter_parse_config: Could not open locale file
/usr/share/locale/locale.alias. Aborting!
 gdm_child_action: Aborting display :0
 gdm_server_stop: Could not unlink auth file: No such file or directory!

I did not find /usr/share directory. Did I remove /usr/share by mistake?

In runlevel 3 at command prompt "startx" only gave me a gray background, no
windows at all.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: xntpd: recvfrom() fd=13: Connection refused
Date: 20 Aug 1999 04:18:05 GMT

I am getting the following message in /var/log/messages:

Aug 20 00:03:03 dad xntpd[5452]: recvfrom() fd=13: Connection refused

quite often.  I have checked the man pages and the documentation which
came with xntpd.  Any idea what this is telling me, or where I might
find further documentation to explore?

------------------------------

From: Andy Busch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quake turns off my monitor!
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:55:36 -0400

Pope Emperor FrogMaN wrote:

> On 15 Aug 1999 10:07:52 -0700,  in comp.os.linux.misc Scott Maxwell
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the great Opera:
>

> >Just bought and installed the official Linux Quake package.  When I
> >run squake from a VC, my monitor goes into DPMS OFF mode.  Any idea
> >how to fix this?
> >
> >My setup: Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme (Permedia 2 chip, 4 MB),
> >Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, libvga 1.3.0; can't think of anything else
> >relevant.
>
> Try lowering the refresh frequency.  It sounds like Quake is
> overloading your video card, which is extremely bad because it can a)
> damage the card or b) blow up your monitor.  Also try turning off the
> power saving feature.  For some reason Quake may be tripping that.
Quake isn't tripping it.  libvga is.  Permedia 2 chips and VGA don't
seem to cooperate so well.  If I try running any (S)VGA things, my
monitor goes into standby, too.  Sometimes I can ctrl-c out of it, but
I've had to hard reboot a couple times.

Andy

--
Andy Busch              & "Andy, sometimes I think you're strange,
The College of Wooster  &  and then you say something, and I

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: News reader program
Date: 19 Aug 1999 15:11:50 -0700

cedric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there a news reader program such as Forte Agent for Linux?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are many newsreaders for Linux, but Forte Agent is not one of them.
These include slrn, trn, Netscape, and my newsreader of choice, gnus running
under XEmacs.  Personally, I think gnus is the most powerful newsreader for
_any_ platform, including anything under Windows, because it is totally
customizable.  If you have emacs or xemacs, you've already got gnus.  Check
out http://www.gnus.org for more info.

Aaron

------------------------------

From: Chris Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Change password via Web page
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:23:29 GMT

I want to set up a system whereby users can change their Linux passwords
via a Web page. Currently they must use telnet do do this, which is
rather awkward.

This is obviously not new, but I am just not sure where to start looking
on the Net.

Can someone give me any clues or starting points please ?. I would
envisage one needs a perl cgi script or something like that.

System is Debian 2.0 Linux with the Apache Web server.

Thanks,

Chris Miller
chris.miller@navy (dot) gov (dot) au
20/8/1999.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Hanson)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: What I think of linux.
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:48:13 GMT

Robin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> David Cummings wrote:
>>
>> > was the Tandy 1000 on which I learned DOS and QBASIC. Windows 3.1 on a custom made
>> > 25mhz IBM compatible. Had that for 3-4 yrs and ran more than I should have. Now I
>>
>> That's nothing...  I had a 386/sx 16 8 megs ram which I used as
>> my main computer from 1991 - 1997.  I ran FreeBSD 2.0.5 - 2.1.7,
>> Linux, and Windows 3.1 on it.  I never really owned a 486... I
>> just went straight from the 386 to a Pentium 90.  So it was a
>> pretty huge leap.  I hated that 386, even as far back as 1993,
>> because it wouldn't run sh*t.  But, I kept hesitating to
>> upgrade...
>>

>> Donn
>
>I remember when we got a new ( to us ) 286, we called this machine
>FAST as we compared it to an 8086 Amstrad.
>
>Mind you the word processor ( Lotus ) on DOS on the 8086 was faster
>that Word on a Pentium. Now remind me why I hate Microsoft.
>
>Robin

I had a Hong Kong XT for a lot of years.  Even now, looking at that particular
color amber (the screen) makes me queasy,  When I finally got a '286 with EGA I
thought I'd died and gone to heaven. :-)

------------------------------

From: "Jeroen Willems" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 20 Aug 1999 05:21:43 GMT

Hi People,

Remeber these?

Amiga 1982 GUI, nice games
Then the MAC LC, 1988, GUI, the works, super software, fast and networked.
Wrote my thesis on it. Never seen any environment like it, for that price.

I hope LINUX will get there in a few years, if we can force the programmers
and distributers to apply a more user-friendly mind-set.
LINUX as an OS is great! That part I love, but if we want longetivity and
good, cheap applications, we need user support, so be friendly.

My 2 eurocents.

Jeroen

OK Guys, mellow out:
http://www.ncsc.dni.us/fun/user/tcc/cmuseum/cmuseum.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: TV Tuner in Linux?
Date: 20 Aug 1999 04:47:17 GMT

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:31:00 GMT,
Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a Diamond DTV2000 TV tuner card and I'd like to know if there is
>anyways to make it work under Linux?  Anyone?

Check the chips on the card for the presence of the name ``BrookTree''
or a number like BT848 or BT878.  If you see one of these, you can look
at:

linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/

and

http://will.freehosting.net/bttv-HOWTO.html

for some starting info.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,redhat.general
Subject: where?   Re: mem leak in 2.2.11
Date: 18 Aug 1999 01:40:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, William Burrow wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:30:52 GMT,
>Steven Ruby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>has anyone had any problems with getting out of mem errors and machine
>>crashing with kernel 2.2.11, if so is there a known fix or is the fix not
>>using 2.2.11 :)!!
>
>What is it with ^M at the end of people's messages nowadays?

Comes from editing in MS-DOS and its derivatives, and then posting with
a broken newsreader.

>Anyway, yes, there is a severe memory leak with 2.2.11 for some people.
>Best to back down to an earlier version until 2.2.12 comes out.
>See the Linux Threads page for info:
>
>http://www.kt.opensrc.org/

The only mention of a leak I saw there was
http://www.kt.opensrc.org/kt19990603_21.html#8
Only affects folks who make lots of ipchains changes.
Is there another one?  I just made 2.2.11 and now I'm all worried.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Tristan Wibberley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: More kind words from M$.
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 02:46:13 +0100

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:13:46 -0400, Charles Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >Mindspring News wrote in message <7pdve2$6in$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >>
> >>He's just an AOL employee posing as a microsoft developer to further AOL's
> >>insidious purposes. He used the words "unpleasantly" and "experienced". A
> >>real microsoft programmer can't use words more than 8 letters in length  ;)
> >
> >Hah!  I like that.
>
> He can cheat by dropping a few vowels and using a three letter extension.
> If he or she has space left over, they might even throw in the digits
> '32'. Thus
>
>         unpleasantly
>
> can be quite succinctly expressed as
>
>         unplsn32.tly

Alternatively, he can say

        unplea~1  .    unpleasa.    ntly    .

and expect you to ignore the first word and concatenate the next two,
dropping the empty extensions (spaces) and dots.

He could also insist that you upgrade to Microsoft Language Centre 4.0
and convert all your paper to NTPaper. You'll then have to run Microsoft
Proof Read to find the errors that the conversion caused (you won't be
able to fix the errors, but can't avoid the test anyway).

--
Tristan Wibberley

------------------------------

From: "Will" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Diskette Longevity
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:48:27 -0400

> The only problem people can have with floppies is to trust them.  However,
> trashing floppies altogether seems to me like cutting off your nose to
spite
> your face.  They are a very useful medium for transferring small amounts
of
> data.  I transfer data daily from the office to my home computer, and
that,
> for me, is the sole purpose of having floppies.  I would certainly miss
them
> if I no longer had them.  All you have to remember is not to use the
floppy
> as a storeage device, and to keep all data elsewhere if a floppy gives up
> the ghost.

I seem to remember floppies lasting longer in the past.  I have several
games
on floppy disks stemming from the late 80s and early nineties.  Admittedly I
don't
use them 4 times a day, but I've not had any problems with them.

I think it was the same with cassettes also.  I have a copy of Ziggy
Stardust
and the Spiders from Mars that still has an add inside encouraging people
to buy cassettes over 8 track tapes.  I've listened to it countless times,
and I've
also watched newer tapes die more quickly.

It's probably a quality control issue.

As it is, I have 3 floppy disks and use them solely to transport data
between
my two computers.  When they die, I'll probably set up a home network of
some sort.

Cheers~

Will

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: Is there a website for minimalist Linux users?
Date: 20 Aug 1999 04:35:27 GMT

In article <7pi60h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Kiesling wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>andy  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hey all you hardcore commandline users! Keeping that 486 alive, eh? I'm
>>just tired of all these apps intended for the wicked blazing smoking
>>kick ass 450Mhz-toting user.
>>So how much fun can I have? YOU tell ME. I want to make my pitiful 486
>>sweat without making it crawl! No KDE, No GNOME. So what do YOU run on
>>YOUR box? Did you make it a game server? Gateway router? What?
>
>Slackware 3.4 on a 25Mhz 486 -- 4 MB RAM, 190MB HD.  I use it mostly
>for E-mail, sometimes to post the Linux FAQ, even at its advanced age.
>The GUI is Bash.

I had a 40 MHz 486 with a 540 MB drive and 16 MB DRAM.
Once I put a video card with its own drawing engine (what the Windoze
world calls a "graphics accelerator") in it it was fast enough to run
a bunch of xterms at 1024x768 under an early fvwm.  Cranked out a
bunch of nice looking literature with LaTeX for the local Green Party.
I had an old ISA Pertec interface and a prehistoric 9-track
to read the tapes from the local Registrar of Voters, which we used
to print mailing labels (Perl -> LaTeX -> dvi2lj).
The Pertec interface came with an MS-DOS app that ran under DR-DOS 5 under
DOSEMU to work the old tape drive.

I also ran about forty newsgroups under C-News on the thing.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: Linux on a 286
Date: 20 Aug 1999 04:39:42 GMT

On 19 Aug 1999 16:58:22 -0700,
Noah Roberts (jik-) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have heard this is possible, but I am at a loss of were to start
>looking.  I checked www.linux.org a bit.  I know this is not possible
>with the normal setup, but I have heard it is *possible* and I want to
>know how.  A freind brought over a 286 laptop and wants Linux on it.

Search for ELKS.  It is not Linux, it is a subset of Linux intended for
8086 and 286 CPUs.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: Comparison needed: *BSD vs. Linux
Date: 20 Aug 1999 04:30:59 GMT

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:52:13 GMT,
Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:46:45 +0200, Sasa Babic
>>I am wondering what are the differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
>>and Linux. You know, good sides and bad sides. Anyone with some spare
>>time?
>
>- I think the BSD's all use named CVS for management of the sources
>  for their kernels, unlike the situation with Linux where Linus
>  Torvalds is the arbitrator of what goes into the kernel.  Whether
>  that is significant depends on (no surprises here) one's Point Of
>  View.

They also use CVS for everything else.  A single cvs command can update
your entire system.  Handy if you have a permanent connection.

>- The BSD's have a common "Ports" system that is somewhat analagous to
>  RPM or the Debian package system.  Ports is almost certainly better
>  crafted than RPM as a source code-oriented package management
>  system; the comparison with DPKG is less clear.  Again... P.O.V.

dpkg is convenient, ports is magical.

>- There has been much flaming back and forth about who's got the best
>  filesystems.  Again, P.O.V. issues come in.

Seems there is some agreement that xfs is better than either.

>- Many makers of Linux distributions have worked hard to try to make
>  it "friendly even to the moderately computer illiterate."  The BSD's
>  have largely eschewed this; they're a bit off-putting to newbies.
>  This puts off those that are Not Serious, which has some tendancy to
>  result in "Linux being for Dummies," whilst there are few "dummies"
>  running *BSD.

Sometimes BSD presents a situation without explanation, but the same
could happen, eventually, on a Linux box.

>Probably the most "novice-friendly" is FreeBSD; it's well worth going
>through the experience of installing one of the BSD's and looking to
>see how they compare at some point.

FreeBSD has a slick install.  OpenBSD is somewhat more basic, but boasts
being one of the few Unix OSes with boatloads of crypto out of the box.
OpenBSD also lays claim to being ``secure,'' though most of the BSDs are
catching up.  Linux is now working towards something similar, and there
are three or so Linux distros working towards being ``secure.''

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:25:59 -0700
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel PCMCIA quiestion

I use RedHat 5.2.  I just upgraded by RPM to kernel 2.2.11-1.
Everything went smooth except the kernel-pcmcia-cs package which
complained that it needed glibc 2.1, so I didn't install it.

Two questions, can I force install the package and will it work?  OR do
I even need the kernel pcmcia package? My system seems to be working
fine but I just want to be sure.

Thanks,
Warren Bell
--
####### Remove ERASE to reply #######

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Date: 20 Aug 1999 05:36:52 GMT

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:46:38 -0500, Charles M
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>After so many boots you hit a maximal mount count and you computer does a
>forced fsck on the drive. The only thing is, since I am currently dual
>booting and hence rebooting Linux twice a day or so, it seems like this
>maximal mount count is occuring a bit too often and the waits on fsck are
>annoying. I know it does this every so often as part of a general
>check/clean up tool, but (with Redhat 6) it seems to do it about every
>fifth or sixth time I reboot. Does anyone know which config file(s) set
>the value for this upper limit on mount counts? I'ld like to change it.
>
>CMM

Look at the documentation on the tune2fs command. You can set a number
of parameters for a filesystem using that little honey. The only negative
that I can see, is that you cannot change the parameters of a filesystem
which is mounted read/write. So I'm not sure how you could change the
parameters for the root filesystem.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

John

------------------------------

From: yan seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:58:32 -0400

Granted, this is a Linux NG so people here are partial.  But I can tell
you this:  I've administered both Win32 and *nix xystems.  Win32 is
incredibly insecure.  As a trivial example, NT does not close the
connection to your hoem directory.  Period.  Check it out (with linux,
of course).  Log in, log out, log in as another user - there it is - the
previous user's home directory.  If the file permissions allow it, you
can trash it.  Piss poor security.  Yet MS engineers have "not been able
to reproduce teh problem" for something like 2 years....

Win32 relies on security through single users, ignorant users, and
frequent reboots.  Ask anyone who administers a Win32 system in an
academic environment.  It's a nightmare.

Linux, on the other can _can_ be made secure.  Not that is out of the
box.  But it can be secured, because it's open source.  Anyone can post
a fix to a bug.  And they do.  Authors are pressured to fix code.  And
modern encryption algorithms employ trap door functions - ask your
instructor what that is.  A well written trap door function is secure,
even if yo have the source code and teh public key.

Enough of my soap box.  Your instructor is full of shit.

Yan Seiner
Another CS instructor

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux on microchannel
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:55:52 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I hope this question hasn't been answered a
> thousand times before; I can't seem to find
> anything definitive on installing any flavor of
> linux on an IBM PS/2 with an MCA bus. All the
> links I find are dead or old. I would prefer to
> use Red Hat but if there is another distribution
> that works well on the MCA, I'm open to ideas.
> THanks!

The Linux/MCA web site is www.dgmicro.com and they've got quite a bit
of stuff including custom MCA boot disks and instructions.

I've a number of Mod 77s & 95s running as print & cdrom servers
using RH 6.0 and they run just fine.  A bit of a pain to set up,
but once runing, they're not any trouble.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:
Policy Management Systems Corp.  Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]