Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:19:47 +0800
From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Do Linux ext2 partition need defrag?

thx

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:19:55 +0800
From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Do DMA mode relate to SCSI HDD?

thx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: problems with .rhosts?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:06:38 GMT

hi all

i'm currently getting some strange behaviour with my ~/.rhosts in that
in there, i have specified:

  coffee    pfdev23
  greentea  pfdev23

and for which greentea and coffee are the official hostnames (as
specified in their /etc/hosts files) of a solaris 2.6 and linux 2.2.17
hosts respectively (and pfdev23 is my uid)

however, when i try to do rsh/rlogin into the sun (greentea) from
coffee, i am still prompted with the passwrd prompt.  once onto
greentea, i can do a rlogin back into greentea and it doesnt ask me for
a password.  is there something (other config) that i have missed?

    pfdev23@coffee:[/tmp]$  rlogin greentea
    Password:
    Last login: Mon Dec  4 13:45:32 from greentea
    Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.6       Generic August 1997
    $ rlogin coffee

the last rlogin (back to coffee) is fine.

any help would be appreciated

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 02:25:31 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Kde 2 Reeeeally slow, or is it my box poorly trimmed ?

man lilo or maybe man lilo.conf

this problem has been explained thousands of times before

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 02:27:36 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to fix bad sectors on HD?

run e2fsck on the partition/drive
man e2fsck should provide more info

------------------------------

From: Michel Bardiaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Runing WINE without WINDOWS partition
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:30:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:18:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > >I want to run a WINDOWS .EXE program and download and installed WINE
> > >but I do not have a WINDOWS partition.
> > >How i configure WINE to run the .EXE program?
> >
> > This is well documented.  Go to the wine home page (www.winehq.com)
> > and follow the documentation links.
> >
> > -Lee Allen

It is not *that* well documented, because some very
non-windows-conformant behavior should be, but is not, documented. I
always run my exes with "--winver nt40"; but even then, all installers I
have used, deposit stuff in c:\windows !

> I went to that home page but I don't know what does it mean with create
> a empty c:\windows....., directories. I only have a Linux partition and
> how can a create those directories.
>
> C.A.L.

cd ~ (usually)
mkdir 'c'
mkdir 'c/windows'

You see the rule of the game: drive C: maps to ~/c, file x\y maps to
x/y, etc...

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:29:42 +0100
From: nospam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: literature database / BiBTeX frontend?

Hi everybody,

I am currently migrating from Windows NT to Linux and am looking for a
suitable literature database application to write scientific papers.

I used to work with 'EndNote', which not only allowed to search the
literature database but which also integrated reasonable well into MS
Word and allowed to automatically format citations in scientific
articles.

Is there a comparable application for X or the KDE desktop? I thought of
using LyX, but don't know whether a good literature managment program
exists and whether I can use them with LyX. The idea is to be able to
search a literature database, and to easily copy the citations suitable
found into the manuscript.

Another potential way to go would be to continue using EndNote 3 (Win32
- does it work with Wine?) and use it in combination with StarOffice and
the MS Word file format... However, I would like to include EPS
graphics, which works in MS Word (although not excellent) but not in
StarOffice.

What do you suggest? Thank you for any advice.

Pascal

(e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Dave Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: shutdown problem
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:37:14 -0000

My Mandrake 7.2 core dumps on shutdown.  It may be something to do with it
running on an AMD cpu.  A work-around is to remove the -p switch from the
half command in the RC file.  I haven't quite worked out how to get the
computer to correctly shutdown though.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Dave Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE 2.0 Application Description Pop-ups
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:39:34 -0000

I'm sure when I used to run the last version of KDE that when I hovered my
mouse over an application in the K-Menu I used to get a short description
displayed.  This seems to have disappeared in KDE 2.0.  Where has it gone ?
and can KDE 2.0 be told to display it ?

------------------------------

From: Mauro Morandin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VM on LINUX
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:47:31 +0100

Try top!

--
MATRIX srl
Castelfranco Veneto - Italy

------------------------------

From: Mauro Morandin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem compiling kernel 2.2.17
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:57:08 +0100

I have tried to compile the kernel 2.2.17 on three different machines
1. (1996)Pentium133Mhz NIC 3Com 590
2. (2000)PentiumIII500Mhz Acer 723 Laptop NIC eepro100
3. (2000)PentiumIII733Mhz NIC 3Com 590

The kernel compiles correctly, but when I boot the
nfsd would not start saying : nfssvc service not implemented.

Do you know what I can do about it?

Thanks.
Mauro.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:23:44 GMT

HI,

Thankx for ur help.
But "top" is a command..Actually I dont need that.
IN our program, we've to use any available structures
for Virtual Memory by filling their members like-wise
it does in WINDOWS NT.

Thanks for the Help
Regards
shaalin

From: Aulne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scaling images
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:53:30 GMT

In article <90idv2$pk9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jimenez Martinez Angel Luis) wrote:

> Aulne ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Hello all,
>
> >   I have graphic files in either tiff or ps format that I have to scale down
> > in order to fit a full printer page.  Otherwise only a portion of the file is
> > printed.  Is there a utility somewhere that can do this?

> Have you tried using The Gimp?? It works quite well for my needs. But if you
> want to convert between image formats and apply some modifications take a look
> at Imagemagick package. It has a console  program called "convert" which do
> these kind of things.

Oops...  I forgot to mention that this scaling must be called from within a
program.  In order words, I need some utility that I can call with parameters
from my software.  Any suggestions?

Alain

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Blake)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Full screen PDF viewer (SKG)
Date: 5 Dec 2000 05:09:14 GMT

Georg Skillas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lets assume you have three plots and to look good you want to
> be consistant and use the same colours. So you instruct
> gnuplot to do just that. Then you look at them one at a time
> with Acrobat reader (converting them through ps2pdf) and the
> colours are consistent. When you put both EPS files in one
> single document and convert that into a PDF, the same way then
> the colours are being "cycled through" and differences arise.
> This looks really bad. And it is not a colour quality problem,
> its probably a bug. Anyone with a workaround?

This doesn't happen if the EPS files are conformant.

To be conformant, an EPS file especially needs not to change
any global graphics state operators. Which is what it would
seem gnuplot is doing.

Of course, ghostscript could also be at fault. So, first, do
some tests. Take the postscript and use the beta ghostscript
6.3* to convert it to pdf (see ghostscript.sourceforge.net).

Then, convert it to pdf using one of your three free
conversions at the Adobe web site (or use Acrobat or
Distiller, which are not free and not available under linux).

If Acrobat and the latest ghostscript look the same, and both
look bad, it would seem to be a problem with the source
postscript.  Of course, it one works, you are done.

--
Dave Blake

From: "S. G. Student" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Color Printing Quality
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:15:38 GMT

John Scudder wrote:

> Is there a way to 'tweak' the print filter to improve the color printing
> quality?  All color printing with Linux apps produces weak and muddy
> colors.  Under Win4Lin (Win95), the colors are rich and sharp.  My
> printer is an HP Deskjet 672.  My distribution is SuSE 6.3.
I get superior results with turboprint.  Don't have the URL but you can
find it via google or maybe search the announce archive.

------------------------------

From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 06:21:49 -0600

Glitch wrote:

> man lilo or maybe man lilo.conf
>
> this problem has been explained thousands of times before

I believe Glitch is refering to a line like

append = "mem=128M"

I can't remember the exact syntax but that is close

------------------------------

From: Julio Gosmaalho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems with bind 8.2.2 installation
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:30:05 -0000

Hi guys, Im trying to install a name server on my Corel Linux. I
downloaded Bind8.2.2, Ive extracted the sources to a directory src.
Then I made : make clean, make depend, make and make install. I saw
somewhere that I have to do these steps. After all this I cant find the
daemon "named" in order to start it !
What can it be ? Did I miss something ?
TIA

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: literature database / BiBTeX frontend?
Date: 05 Dec 2000 12:51:50 +0000

nospam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there a comparable application for X or the KDE desktop? I thought of
> using LyX, but don't know whether a good literature managment program
> exists and whether I can use them with LyX. The idea is to be able to
> search a literature database, and to easily copy the citations suitable
> found into the manuscript.

Lyx works fine with Bibtex - whenever you insert a citation reference
the entries in your database are available in a popup.  Bibtex
databases are text files, so you can create and search them using your
favourite text editor, or alternatively you can use a GUI Bibtex
management program such as Barracuda (crude but it works).  You can
paste entries from any X application into Lyx using the mouse (left
button selects, middle button pastes).

HTH,
Stephen.
--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ