Linux-Misc Digest #527, Volume #21               Tue, 24 Aug 99 18:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"? (Mazrim Taim)
  Re: X freezes, how to escape? (Jerry Gardner)
  Re: Infrequently connected to Internet (Collin W. Hitchcock)
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Ralf Hildebrandt)
  System requirements ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How to disable annoying gnome startup messages and applications? (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: Default mkdir attributes (William Burrow)
  Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"? (Paul Jimbo Duncan G7KES)
  Re: System requirements (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
  Re: ppp problems (Leonard)
  Re: ppp problems (Aeon Flux)
  Bash scripting (Tom)
  Re: man2html (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: can only ftp myself? - still stuck (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Samba...almost there... (AD)
  Modem suggestions (remove-to-reply (Matt Friedman))
  Re: Kernel 2.2.11 (modules) Compilation Failed Usig gcc-2.95 ("Ron Lamb")
  Re: copying a file over the network (rcp) (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Mounting a file system Read Only (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: LILO for the Linux newbie. . . (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Printer Defaults (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: WordPerfect on 24 bit visual? (Rod Smith)
  Re: Sendmail & popserver
  Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine (Rod Smith)
  Re: Soundcard gives PRRRRRRRRR, and I don't want that. (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Heeeeeeeez back!)
  Possible to RH6.0 on a 486 dx2  w/12MB ram ??
  wrong free disk space if I use df-command (Rene Bader)
  Run X windows on remote ("Jim Karsten")

From: Mazrim Taim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:05:11 -0400

Hello,

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Jon Skeet wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> A lot of these self-help Linux books, FAQs, and "words from UNIX gurus"
>> always stress the importance of "Don't do anything in root! You will screw
~SNIP~

>> For example... when you get a new piece of software; tarball format. You
>> need to :
~SNIP~
>But how often do you get a new piece of software?

I was emphasizing that most of the self-help, "tutorial" books were emphasizing
that root is bad, while at the same time instructing the user on how to SET UP
software and CONFIGURE the system; all actions which (usually) require root.

As for myself.... I get new software all the time. My homepage is
linuxberg.com. =)

>Again, how often are you reconfiguring your computer?

One of the top-most bookmarks on my Nscp setup is kernel.org. =)

>> Not to mention shutting down your
>> comptuer at the end of your computing session!
>
>You don't need to be root to do this, necessarily. Ctrl-alt-del works
>fine on my home box. If you're on a system that needs rebooting often,
>that's not a problem. If you want more security, you're likely to be on a
>machine which stays up most of the time anyway.

Eh? Isn't ctrl+alt+del reboot? Hey that's a dandy idea! I can reboot into my
insecure Win98 dualboot setup and shutdown from there and I even get the
neat-o "auto hard-drive parking" sound! Wheeeeee!

(kidding)

 > >> So why stress the paranoia buildup against using root?
>
>Because it's so easy to muck things up as root.

Oh, actually I understand that. I was actually more miffed about a particular
fairly popular book which was constantly contradicting itself with regards to
the root is bad, but now let's login as root and stay that way because we need
to recompile the kernel several times for practise. =P

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Gardner)
Subject: Re: X freezes, how to escape?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:27:54 GMT

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:08:03 +0000, Warren Bell wrote:

>Is there a way to escape X when it locks up?  What else can be done if X
>freezes?

If the machine is on a network, you can telnet to it. I often do this
when X hangs on one of my machines.

--
Jerry Gardner     | "Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | of a kamakaze pilot on his 37th mission."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collin W. Hitchcock)
Subject: Re: Infrequently connected to Internet
Date: 24 Aug 1999 14:49:51 -0400

This might work:

In your /etc/hosts file you should have a line that looks something
like this:

127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.localdomain

Add lion-o to the end:

127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.localdomain lion-o

hopefully now gethostbyname("lion-o") will return 127.0.0.1

Collin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralf Hildebrandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 24 Aug 1999 15:56:48 GMT

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:27:39 -0700, patman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> But since "normal" Windows viruses do the job just as well...

>Oops... I guess I read that to be anything Windows :-).

I don't mind. Looking at the right places (symantec et al.) I could
only find two. But since an NT system is already fucked up enough with
"Office" and other viruses there's really no need.
I'm subscribed to the M$ security mailing list. It's incredible. Every
week I get security bulletins (of course unsigned) -- if I had more
than a few NT boxes to administer I'd go crazy. There are more bugs
than features, and even the fixes have bugs...

--
Ralf Hildebrandt   http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb   (0)531/391-3366
Institute for Steel-Structures, Technic. Univers. of Braunschweig, Germany

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: System requirements
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:22:13 GMT

Hi,

I need to build a computer that will act as an internet gateway (via
cable modem) for 5 users.  In addition, this computer will be used for
joining my LAN to another LAN (VPN).

How fast of a computer is required to do this?  Will a 486 66 do the
job?  How much memory is required?

Thanks,
Chris

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: How to disable annoying gnome startup messages and applications?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:54:24 -0400

Close what you don't want, and logout, you should see a checkbox 'Save
session settings'  Make sure you check it, and continue to logout.  Next
tiem, you will only have open what was left open.

andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: redhat.security.general
Subject: Re: Default mkdir attributes
Date: 23 Aug 1999 21:35:03 GMT

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:53:41 -0400,
Mapu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I looked at man umask, and umask seems only to deal with read, write and
>execute perms. What I am looking for is info regarding setting the UID/GID
>bit in the file attributes...or perhaps I'm missing something>

When using mkdir, the created dir is influenced by the permissions of
the dir it was created in.  If the parent dir has the S bit on, then
subdirectories in that dir will also have the S bit on.  There is a
reason for the S bit on dirs, I forget what it is.  It was mentioned in
a previous col.misc article a few months ago.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:59:52 +0000
From: Paul Jimbo Duncan G7KES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jon Skeet wrote:

> You don't need to be root to do this, necessarily. Ctrl-alt-del works
> fine on my home box. If you're on a system that needs rebooting often,
> that's not a problem. If you want more security, you're likely to be on a
> machine which stays up most of the time anyway.

Mine stays on 24-7 doing SETI anyway :-)

Paul
~~~~
Paul Duncan                                     Tel: +44 1703 596385
Information Systems Group,
NERC Research Vessel Services,
Room 451/11,
Southampton Oceanography Centre,
Empress Dock,
Southampton,
SO14 3ZH.                               E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
Subject: Re: System requirements
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:56:39 GMT

In <7purcu$c1d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[Snip...]

|> cable modem) for 5 users.  In addition, this computer will be used for
|> joining my LAN to another LAN (VPN).
|>
|> How fast of a computer is required to do this?  Will a 486 66 do the
|> job?  How much memory is required?

[Snip...]

For a single page jumpstart, you might look at the Linux Router Project:

                       http://www.linuxrouter.org/

although admittedly this is probably not exactly a "router" project.

Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens)     ** IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO **

1. As antispam, I have completely disabled my "adam" email account.
2. Please vent inconvenience at Cyberpromo and their Satanic spawn.
3. Please look for (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. NO UCE/UBE.
4. I detest UCE/UBE. I support CAUCE; http://www.cauce.org HR 1748.

Standard Disclaimer: My opinions, and not Raytheon Systems Company.

------------------------------

From: Leonard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ppp problems
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:59:21 -0400

Ref: timeout issues...

If you are using KPPP, look on one of the front
panels and there is a box with 60seconds in it..
..change that to 75 seconds. Then in the box in
the KPPP setup where you put a job to be executed
by pppd...put in "netscape"..(not the quotes) then
pppd will start executing a job...and  all timeout
considerations will be nullified.

Hope this helps...good luck. If you are not using
KPPP, I would recommend it.

Leonard...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aeon Flux)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:38:48 GMT

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:04:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>"Timeout expired
>while waiting for the ppp interface window to come up."

Don't use Mandrake, but what are you using to connect, kppp, ip-up,
usernet, etc?

Aeon Flux

------------------------------

From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bash scripting
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:30:56 GMT

Flamethrowers aside:

I'm a recovering VB weenie and would like to know why the following doesn't
work...

$i=0
until false
do
  i=$((i+1))
  if $((i>10))
  then
   echo break ;
   break
  fi
  echo $i;
done

It increments I just fine, it just never ends....

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: man2html
Date: 24 Aug 1999 11:21:36 -0700

Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Has anyone seen a man2html utility that works with all sorts of Linux
> as well as Unix man pages?
I'm not sure what your problem is with man2html (it seems to work for
me), but you could always just use 'groff -Pascii foo.1'.  Also, not
all Unices use troff for the man pages (e.g., IRIX).
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: can only ftp myself? - still stuck
Date: 24 Aug 1999 11:16:28 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> >When I log on PPP onto the network from my laptop and try to do an ftp to
> >my desktop, it somehow only sees the laptop. Somewhere I must have told
> >the laptop it has the same identity as my desktop.
>
> Can someone help me here? Somehow I've gotten my laptop convinced it has
> the same ip address as my desktop so FTP (over PPP) always loops back to
> the laptop.
That depends on whether your NIC is pcmcia or not.  If so, then modify
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts.  Otherwise, fix the ifconfig statement in
/etc/rc.d/network.  Also, be sure /etc/hosts is correct if you have
the localhost in it.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (AD)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Samba...almost there...
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:47:05 GMT

Got it my man. Up and running already thanks to SWAT.
Thanks for the info and your English is fine.

------------------------------

Subject: Modem suggestions
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED](remove-to-reply) (Matt Friedman)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:32:45 GMT

Okay... Winmodems don't work with Linux. I got that.

But does anyone have any suggestions of inexpensive internal v.90 modems
that DO work under Linux? I'm looking for something cheap and dirty, and if
worse comes to worst I have an old USR 28.8 that I could slap in. It's just
I could benefit from the experience of some of you folk who've solved the
problem.

MF

------------------------------

From: "Ron Lamb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.11 (modules) Compilation Failed Usig gcc-2.95
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:42:59 -0400

>The gcc that came with SuSE-6.1 distro did not catch the above error.
>Could this mean either my gcc-2.95 binary package is bad or there is a
>bug in the gcc-2.95 distro?

>From the GCC web site I found some information on these pages

http://egcs.cygnus.com/news/spill.html
http://egcs.cygnus.com/gcc-2.95/caveats.html

Notice the following paragraph on the first link mentioned above.

"One side effect of Brend's work is that incorrect asms which explicitely
clobber a
register that is also mentioned in the inputs/outputs for the asm will
always generate
an error on all ports.  This is going to cause linux kernels to fail to
build on x86
processors until the linux kernel developers fix the asms in the linux
kernel."

It looks like 2.95 doesn't completely work in building kernels.  You might
try editing the
Makefile CFLAGS variable by adding -fno-strict-aliasing

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: copying a file over the network (rcp)
Date: 24 Aug 1999 11:27:31 -0700

Bob Koss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I can telnet, ftp, and rsh into my RH5.1 desktop from my laptop.
>
> But when I try to rcp a file, I get 'permission denied'.  Any ideas
> where to look?
rcp (like rexe) require a /etc/hosts.equiv -- not recommend unless you
aren't connected to the outside world.  At the very least, install ssh
and use scp.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Mounting a file system Read Only
Date: 24 Aug 1999 11:39:55 -0700

You want to boot to single user mode -- at the lilo prompt append a
'single' after the name of the kernel, or if you've already booted
'init S'
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO for the Linux newbie. . .
Date: 24 Aug 1999 11:31:30 -0700

Josh Washburne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm completely new to Linux.  Infact, I'm 15 years old and my father
> helped me through a Linux install to my own machine.  We have a small
> problem though.  Linux will not boot unless we put in the boot disk.
> Here's the bio. . .
Sounds like /etc/lilo.conf isn't set up correctly.  Honestly, if you
planning on mainly using windows why not just create a lilo boot disk
and use that?  It's a little bit slower to boot, but it would save the
average newbie a lot of headaches if they did that until they got
comfortable with linux IMO.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Printer Defaults
Date: 24 Aug 1999 11:37:50 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (ORRIN) writes:

> When Using KDE in SuSE 6.1, most of the windows have a print option,
> but no way to set margins, etc.  The printed result is a 1 inch left
> margin and the long lines running off the paper on the right.
Sounds like you need to make some adjustments to GhostScript.  What
kind of printer and filters are you using?
-ckm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: WordPerfect on 24 bit visual?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:46:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards) writes:
> In article <lLkv3.282$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rod Smith wrote:
>
>>> I decided to try out WordPerfect, and overall it seems decent.
>>>
>>> However, I normally run 24bpp at home (ATI Rage 128 w/ SVGA
>>> server) and none of the bitmaps work (buttons just have gray
>>> hash on them).  At work it runs fine with a 24 bit visual (ATI
>>> Mach32 w/ mach32 server).
>>>
>>> Why does WP work on one X server and not the other, when
>>> they're both set up as 24 bpp truecolor?
>
>>It's a bug in WP that interacts with the way 24-bit mode is handled in
>>certain X servers.  Most XFree86 servers are affected, but I'm told that
>>Accelerated-X is immune to this problem.  Also, XFree86 4.0 should also be
>>immune to the problem.
>
> I have a similar problem with Acobat reader 3.0.  It works with
> a 24-bit visual using the Mach64 server, but not with a 24-bit
> visual using the XVGA ATI RAGE-128 server.
>
> Same issue?

Probably.  I read about it somewhere on the XFree86 web site
(http://www.xfree86.org), but I don't recall the exact URL.  IIRC, the web
site specifically mentioned WP and Netscape as being affected by the bug,
but other programs could be so affected, too.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Sendmail & popserver
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:38:53 +0100

With sendmail, add to the script that calls fetchmail

Assuming you are running fetchmail as already suggested as a daemon.
(Brackets show example output)

eg:

fetchmail  (fetchmail process at 120 awakened)
sendmail -q

This will force sendmail to process the mail queue and
send out whilst fetchmail is receiving. This could be
done in the ppp script after the connection is
established or run manually or from crontab?

The is no need to HUP sendmail!

Hope this helps

Alex
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (rm edy!)

Thorsten Lau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Håkan Trygg" schrieb:

:> Hi all
:>
:> I am trying to setup a local mail sever. (=changing from NT to Linux :-)
:>
:> 1. We have a "multi-pop" mail account, not UUCP, from the ISP.
:>    All mail that is designated to our domain is placed in this pop
:>    account and a small mail reader program reads all this mail and
:>    resends these mail to the local mail popserver.
:> 2. We do not have a direct line to our ISP. We uses an ISDN router
:>    and for reducing call charges we want the mail program only collect
:>    mail at designated times.
:>    Outgoing mail are transferred from the local mail server to the ISP
:>    mail server at the same time as the multipop account is read
:>
:>
:> So.....
:> 1. How to read the popmail and forward it to the local mailserver?
:>    Is there any small utility program?

: I used ´fetchmail´ for this problem,
: its easy to configure via a resource file. This fetches mails from different
: accounts, and resends it to the local mailboxes.

: Best wishes,
:     Thorsten Lau.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:48:48 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny A. Chaffin) writes:

> I have read (a couple of issues) them and they both seem good. I'm
> looking for those who might have been reading either or both for a longer
> period of time to get impressions, opinions, etc. I hate subscribing to a
> magazine to find it's only filled with fluff and advertising!

Linux Magazine is very new -- less than half a year old, I think, though I
don't know precisely how many issues have been published.  I've only seen
one (it doesn't get nearly as good distribution as LJ).

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundcard gives PRRRRRRRRR, and I don't want that.
Date: 24 Aug 1999 11:13:23 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Shaffer, Jr.) writes:

> >Thanks, it works. I like it when a problem has such a simple answer.
>
> When the sound driver loads, it apparently turns all the inputs up high.  I was
> glad that Red Hat included a program to save the user's sound settings at
> shutdown time and reload them.
I use aumix for this in a local boot script.  Set the mixer to what
you want, then use -S to write a $HOME/.aumixrc.  Move this to
/etc/aumixrc (or wherever you want it) and read it at boot with -L.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Heeeeeeeez back! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:56:06 +0100

Reformatted to make the thing understandable...
(What is it with people these days? Laziness or stupidity?)

patman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:7pm0mp$fut$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Roger  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Forgot to mention - there are thousands of NT viruses but, AFAIK, no
>> >Unix viruses at all.  Unix file permissions make it very difficult for
>>
>> Name five.

> Melissa, happy99, cih, troj_boclient,
> troj_boserver,stupid1,suicide,sucker,sunday,sundevil,stunning blow
> Oh.. I'm sorry you said 5 didn't you?

Ahem.... Unix? Melissa? Happy99? They aren't Unix! They're shitty windross
and Turd viruses... I'll assume the others are as well, seeing as I've never
heard of 'em...

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |    "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!     |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |     I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel    |
|             in            |     and get out the puncture repair kit!"      |
|      Computer Science     |        Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf          |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.x.general
Subject: Possible to RH6.0 on a 486 dx2  w/12MB ram ??
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:30:56 GMT

 I am trying to install both with boot.img disk or from cdrom installed to
 DOS but after welcome screen boot: all I get is
                                   and nothing more happens.

 I've tried loadlin with & w/out initrd and i've tried changing the rdev
 major/ minors (which on the CD are set to 8,33 ??scsi??) but all to no
 effect. I just can't get it to boot up.

 Many thanks for any help, Kevin

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Rene Bader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: wrong free disk space if I use df-command
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:30:56 GMT

hi,
right now I get the following error-message in my log files.
"low space on device ..."
If I use the df-command it tells me that I have a capacity of 98% (= 135
MB)on the device. But if I use the du command it shows only 35 MB (=30%).
This must be the right size because after reboot df shows the same size.
(I use RedHat 4.1 with kernel 2.0.27)
Can I update the df-database without rebooting? Or any other comments?
Thnx
CU Rene

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

From: "Jim Karsten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Run X windows on remote
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:05:33 -0400

What is the best solution for running X windows on a remote linux computer
on a local Windows 98 machine.