From: Alexander K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: group/user nobody
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 03:03:50 GMT

thanks for the answers:)
and no joe, i had no intention of deleting that user,
i have learned those lessons too, the hard way...:)

but more closely what i was wondering about is whether "nobody" always
has gid/uid 99, on all linux systems.
and if it is standard for "nobody" to exist in all distros?

cause i made this bash-script that shanges uid/gid of directory
structures, and sets the owner to the user (if allowed).
the uid is easy to check ($UID/$EUID in bash), but not so with the gid.

so i was wondering if it would be safe and reliable to use gid 99 as
default, unless a gid is given as a parameter to the script.

?

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Joe Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --------------7D7FAF4D8EBAB8B06B52D82F
>
> Alex,
>
>   Whatever you do, DON'T EVER LOG IN AS ROOT AND DELETE THIS USER!
Take
> it from someone who's learned that hard lesson.
>
> Cheers
>
> Joe
>
> Alexander K wrote:
>
> > hello!
> >
> > i use slackware7. and there there is a group "nobody" (gid 99) and a
> > user "nobody" (uid 99).
> >
> > is this default for linux in general?
> > when i did a search i saw someone write that "nobody" usually had
> > uid/gid -1.
> >
> > does anyone know for sure?
> > or, where do i read about this?
> >
> >    thanks in adv. / alex
> >
> > --
> > .
> > .
> > ... ak42 at kurir dot net ...
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> --------------7D7FAF4D8EBAB8B06B52D82F

> Alex,
THIS
href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>

From: Paxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting FAT 32 Win drive
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 03:02:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Paxx wrote:
> >
> > What is the best way to be able to read the Long Filenames
> > on a Windows FAT 32 DRive. I've been experimenting with the
> > setting ins my /etc/fstab file and using msdos as the filetype
> > won't allow it, but...that didn't surprise me. Using vfat as
> > the filetype helped some, but..didn't appear to be a cure-all
> >
> > Are there any better options or is this it.
> >
> > I'm running a Win95/Linux Dual boot.
> >

> Once the partition is mounted as type vfat, use a GUI utility such as
> File Runner, Star Office Explorer, etc.  I've never seen a terminal
> emulator that could handle the long file names properly.

Okay...I'll give that a try. Using 'less' seemed to work on some, but
not all. I've got a public_html directory in Win95, and that displayed,
but..the Program Files directory didn't seem to.

I'll try and view with Star Office or something similar.

Thanks for the help.

--
Paxx -
[This space for Rent]

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting ide-scsi device
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 19:39:42 -0700

John wrote:

> I cannot beleive that I am having so much trouble with this.  I thank
> you all for you patients and replies.
>
>  Xcdroast uses cdrecord and mkisofs.  It is just a GUI front end for
> them.  Using Xcdroast I am able to burn a CD and my windows maching
> will read it.  But if I take a purchased CD like Red Hat and try to
> mount it, it comes back with "the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0
> as a block device".  The purpose of the cdrecord info is to let you
> know that something recognizes it and is able to use it.
>
>  I must be doing something wrong since cdrecord sees it and can use it
> Here is my information from CDrecord.
> # cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord release 1.8 (i666-pc-linux-gnu)Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
> Schilling
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'IDE-CD' 'ReWriteable-2X2X6'  '3.01' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) 'WPI    ' ' CDS-24-X     ERn'  'A1.0' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>
> There was previous dicussion about cd-roms being character devices and
> scsi being block.  I would guess that ide-scsi driver might be the
> converter from character to block.  Is there an order to loading these
> drivers?
>
> All input is appreciated.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Hiding crucial information from us, eh? Oh well, we'll
get over it.

Going back to your original post, I see that you compiled iso9660 as a
module. Have you tried compiling it into the kernel? Or try this,
"insmod isofs". Now can you mount the CDROMs?

I see you have two CDROM drives. Does mounting work on one of them, or
is this a problem on both?

Also from your original post, it looks like you compiled all the SCSI
stuff into the kernel (except ISO 9660), rather than as modules. Is this
in fact what you have? If so, then all this module stuff is irrelevant.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Where to get Java Compiler
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 23:18:07 -0400

Tandem Guy wrote:

> Hello.  I'm pretty new to linux (redhat 6.0) and am interested in
> learning java.  Where can I get a free java compiler to run on linux?
> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

man guavac

--
Mark Bratcher
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Zip for Linux
Date: 4 Jun 2000 03:29:18 GMT

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:54:51 GMT,
 Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> www.pkware.com

Um, no.  That's shareware, and at $119 expensive shareware at that.

Use the 'INFO-ZIP' version (if you must compile source, you can get it
at ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/src/zip23.tar.gz and the companion
unzip540.tar.gz in the same directory).  This is free, both as 'free
beer' and 'Free Speech'.

It is foolish to install proprietary software when free and Free
alternatives exist.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kppp will now work in user account
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 03:30:09 GMT

I have Mandrake 7.0 Linux.  I like to use the program kppp from the kde
desktop to connect to the internet because it is easy to setup.  It works
great when I am logged on as root.  Obviously I would prefer to logon as a
user and access the internet.  I have kppp configured the same as on root
but it does not work.  I get a message "Sorry, cannot open modem"  The kppp
manual says that kppp does not have permission to access the modem and I
need to give kppp setuid rights.  It tells me what to type.  I type it and
it still does not work.  I have had kppp working in a user account under
RedHat 6.1 so I know it should be doable.  Am I missing something?  Is
there a trick or a permission I need to give to get this to work?  Thank
you. JH

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Programmers man pages
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 05:26:05 +0200

Paul Kimoto wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > Where can I get man pages for strtok etc.  I have RH 6.1 and have
> > the Linux domumentation
> > and generic man pages but nothing for C
>
> If you want the official documentation from the glibc developers,
> that comes in the form of the libc info pages.

That is true; but if you install the *full* set of manpages (which
I thought is still default for the major distributions),
you have 'man' documentation for system calls in section 2, and
for c runtime functions in section 3. The same applies for example
for X functions under /usr/X11R6/man3. IMHO a proper develepmont
package, be it perl, python, tcl/tk, qt, whatever, should include
traditional man doc. for their supplied functions/methods in
section 3, and most of the examples I gave do so.
So, if /usr/man/man2 and .../man3 are empty, you should look
for the resp. package to install (in SuSE for instance "ldpman"
IIRC, whereas the mentioned glibc info pages are called "libcinfo").

HTH

Juergen

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: DSL under linux: No Joy :-<
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 03:25:44 GMT

Paul Lew wrote:
> PPPOE is the money making way (for the ISP) in providing DSL as it requires
> signing in;

How does that make them money?

--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't use HTML mail with netscape
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 21:23:48 -0700

Jim McIntyre wrote:

> When I insert a link into e-mail with netscape 4.73, th eprogram crashes
> as soon as I click OK.  I'm using the glibc version. I know the libc5
> version worked OK, but I don't think it is available now. Does anybody
> know a fix for this.

Yes.  Repentence.  God is trying to tell you something.

Seriously, I become extremely angry when somebody sends me html email
because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's some jerk trying to
sell me something.  Is this the reaction you want to provoke?  Nobody is
going to think "Oh, how cool!"  They're just going to think that you have
some sort of pitiful ego problem.

Bev
Of course SoCal has four seasons:
Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: auth/rcp: what does it mean?
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:21:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter S. Frouman) wrote:
> In article <8geahv$lig$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >I'm getting this message repeatedly in /var/log/messages:
> >
> >auth/tcp: bind: address already in use
> >
> >What does this mean?  Does it have any connection to RPC?
>
> It means you have a program trying to listen on tcp port 113
> (auth/ident/finger) but there is already another program listening on
that
> port. For example, this could be caused by running a stand-alone
finger
> daemon and also having it enabled in inetd. You can check which PID is
> using the port with 'fuser -n tcp 113' The error message should also
say
> what program is trying to bind to the port. Also
check /etc/inetd.conf to
> see if it is enabled there.

fuse -n tcp 113 shows all the identd processes and
/etc/inetd.conf has an entry for identd uncommented in redhat 6.2.

   auth  stream  tcp  wait  root  /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -e -o

Any reason why identd needs to be launched by inetd when identd
is already started off by /etc/rc.d/init.d/identd?
By the way, this exact error message mentioned before appears exactly
every 10 minutes.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.text.sgml
Subject: Re: RH6.2 upgrade broke sgmltools
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:36:09 GMT

Grant

Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 23:33:45 -0500
From: Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Peter Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 02:06:27AM +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

>> After upgrading to RH6.2, sgmltools are broken.  I've installed the sgml
>> and docbook update rpms, but things are still broken. Everytime I upgrade
>> my RedHat installations, something major breaks -- last time it was latex.
>
> Umm. I've installed 5.2 and 6.2 and latex worked fine both times. But every
> time I try doctools -- regardless of OS -- something breaks.

It was 6.0 that had a broken latex.  The nasty thing was that it was sort of
subtle.  The hyphenation database was broken, so you would get weird
hyphenations (it seemed especially fond of hyphenating after the first
letter of a word or before the last).

> > /usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:1:59:W: cannot generate system identifier for public tex
> > t "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN"
>
> This one's easy: you either
>   a) don't have an entry in your catalog file for
>      "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN"
> or
>   b) you do, but your catalog is not in a place
>      where nsgmls can find it

Thanks!  I'll try to track that down.  I downloaded the docbook 3.0 files
and installed them in my home directory, so I should be able to point nsgmls
at that.  If that works, then I'll try to figure out what's wrong with my
system catalog.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want to kill
                                  at               everyone here with a cute

------------------------------

From: Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 21:37:20 -0700

brian moore wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:54:51 GMT,
>  Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > www.pkware.com
>
> Um, no.  That's shareware, and at $119 expensive shareware at that.
>
> Use the 'INFO-ZIP' version (if you must compile source, you can get it
> at ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/src/zip23.tar.gz and the companion
> unzip540.tar.gz in the same directory).  This is free, both as 'free
> beer' and 'Free Speech'.
>
> It is foolish to install proprietary software when free and Free
> alternatives exist.

I'm amazed that it costs that much.  We bought a legit copy just because
we'd been using the program under DOS (maybe even cp/m, but that was a LONG
time ago) for a long time and thought that the right thing to do was send
them some money.

Doesn't gzip come with most distributions?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:38:54 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:21:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>fuse -n tcp 113 shows all the identd processes and
>/etc/inetd.conf has an entry for identd uncommented in redhat 6.2.
>
>   auth  stream  tcp  wait  root  /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -e -o
>
>Any reason why identd needs to be launched by inetd when identd
>is already started off by /etc/rc.d/init.d/identd?

It doesn't. Should be one or the other. Previous RH used inetd, 6.2 has
changed this to standalone identd.

>By the way, this exact error message mentioned before appears exactly
>every 10 minutes.

Would this be how often you poll for mail? Mail servers often hit
identd.

--
Hal B

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clustering sparcs? "Pirahna?"
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 05:00:38 GMT

G. Fenstermacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Prasanth A. Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> What kind of clustering are you trying to do? Is it computational or
>> redundancy? I think pirahna is for redundancy. The program is written
>> by Redhat and can be found in any of their distributions. As to the
>> former, I would suggest Beowulf for computational clustering. But let
>> me warn you that much of this is do-it-yourself... Having a cluster
>> doesn't mean much unless the program is written to make the best use
>> of it.

> More or less, because its there, but since its not a production machine, its
> not for redundancy.

> Something I don't understand on clustering, however, is how it actually
> works. IE, does it work like a standard SMP machine and send threads to
> different machines, or does it only work on programs compiled for cluster,
> which spins out subprocesses to each node to complete?

I'm no expert... never set up a cluster... However,

Pirhana
        Used for load balancing and fallover. Round Robin DNS (and some
        algorithims for judging server size) gives each server in
        the cluster requests
        from the internet... in other words, two or more web servers
        will alternate web access requests. If one of the servers dies
        the others takes over. Good for stateless short requests. If you
        have long sessions like telnet or ftp and the server dies you will
        have to start over. Cookies saving your user's data? Start over.

Bewolf
        Specialized applications divy the work between many computers.
        This is not fallover. It will not remember state. Excellent
        for complex mathamatical computations. Your program figures out
        a sub-job and assigns it to a node.

I'm unaware of anything that will fallover remembering state.
Bewolf can probably balance forks (new processes) but
you would have to write the application.

I think Linux Today had an article about this subject within the
last month or so.

However, like I said, never built one, experts please be gentle.

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/