From: Sean Yamamoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: A newbie versus "vi"
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 01:30:52 -0800

Kelly and Sandy wrote:

>     What made me able to hand in the assignment on time was the
> Silicon Graphics' beautiful "vi" editor.  I think it was called
> "vi".  Anyway, it was fully GUI with pull-down menus with all
> sorts of menu-items goodies.  Like "auto-indent" toggle and
> "pretty-print" and "code completion...".  It was really lovely.

That wasn't vi. You were either using zip (old Tom Davis hack, a
COFF binary so it didn't run on anything after IRIX 6.1) or jot
(zip's ELF replacement, built on IrisGL, though, if I remember
correctly).

Both were pretty nifty, but SGI has been shipping NEdit with the
latest versions of IRIX. It pretty much has all of the function-
ality of jot/zip plus some more clever stuff in version 5.0.x
(e.g., syntax highlighting).

Check out:

        http://www-pat.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html

and compile it yourself or download the nedit RPM from your
favorite RedHat contrib mirror.

S.

--
Sean Yamamoto                   If William of Ockham had a beard,
Web Cabalist At Large       it wasn't because his razor was dull.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        "Apply Occam's razor."

------------------------------

From: Gert Wollny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:19:02 +0000

>     So, reiterating:  can I get a GUI editor by invoking some other
> command, or the right vi -switches or is it something I have to download
> off the web?

If you are used to Wordstar- keybinding, try joe, (call it with jstar)
and you will have a fine editor for the console. It was my choice when
LINUX was new to me, and now I also like it very much for editing config
files.

IMHO emacs is no choice for a beginner, but if you ever manage to
costumize it for your need, it works slightly good (You can costumize
nearly everything, but this really takes some time). You have also some
Pulldown menus (at least under X). I dont use it on LINUX, but at work
on SGI (under X) its my editor of choice for programming. (The auto
insertion with TAB is one of the features, I miss now in the BORLAND
IDEs)

vi(m) I never liked very much, but its always good if you know the
basics of how to move around. Last time one of my harddisks chrashed,
and the system wanted to mount it at startup 'cos its in the fstab - I
had to remove the entry in an emergency mode, and vi was the only editor
at hand.

nedit is a good editor for X, Syntax-highlighting, and some Windows-like
Keybinding. But under LINUX I never use it since I usally do the editing
of config-files and so at the console. And for programming emacs is
IMVHO better.
Sometimes I use it at work, since one can Copy-Paste with netscape
(emacs seems not to do so).

At the console I also use the internal editor of mc.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best Regards

Gert

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply or mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Max-Planck-Institute of Cognitive NeuroSience      http://www.cns.mpg.de

http://gerti.home.pages.de

------------------------------

From: "Frantisek Fuksa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to get rid of LILO?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:29:25 +0100

Newbie problem.

I innstalled RED Hat Linux 5.1 on second HD to Linux partitions.

Originally I installed LILO to floppy and Then I was able to boot to WIN98
(without floppy).

Then I re-installed Linux (I did not know how to de-activate Afterstep), I
probably installed LILO to my primary HD C:

Now I cannot get to WIN98. I tried to re-install WIN98, but during restart
(no floppy inserted) I see LI on the screen and the computer is stuck.

If I boot from floppy(win98, I can get to DOS, but cannot start win98. It
says that there is reg. database missing an I am again stuck.

IF anybody knows how to get rid of LILO, I would appreciate it very very
much. (I hope it is not FDISK)

Frantisek.

------------------------------

From: Gerardo Lamastra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux + FreeBSD problem
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:31:42 +0100

Hello Everybody!

I have tried to setup a mixed Linux/FreeBSD system, but I was not able
to make linux mount the FreeBSD partition; I followed the Linux+FreeBSD
HOWTO but there are some problems when I do the mounting!

Here is the error list!
ufs_read_super: fs_nindir 2048 != 3
ufs_read_super: fucking Sun blows me
ufs_read_super: fs last mounted on "/usr"
ufs_read_super: fs needs fsck
ufs_read_inode: file too big ino 2 dev 3/8, faking size
ufs_read_super: inopb 64

After doing so the device is unmountable (device is busy!)
The Linux fdisk (and the internal Disklabel) shows correctly the FreeBSD
partitions/slices!

Shall I use some special option when creating the FreeBSD slices ? (I
have done all using the automatic FreeBSD configuration for setting up
partitions!)

--
Gerardo Lamastra
PhD Student in Computer Engineering

#                                                              #
#              Real Programmers Don't Use Windows!             #
#                                                              #

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Real Player Plugin and Netscape
Date: 7 Jan 1999 18:41:00 -0700

Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
% Using recycled bits, pestilence blurted out:
% %As far as i have heard RealPlayer isn't support as a plugin but as a standalone
% %program.

% Bzzzt!  Thanks for playing.  The tarball comes with a nice set of instructions
% for installing RealPlayer as a plugin.  Works just fine for me.

I think this is very interesting.  One of the things I needed to figure out
to dump my other OS was how to get RA to work.  If I can't listen to audio
on the net I go nuts.  (I know short trip.)  I downloaded the tar ball,
followed the instructions, worked first time without a problem.  The only
time I have ever had problmes is when I recompiled my kernel without the
correct codec.

Anyone know when they will be out with a Linux version of the G2 player?
To send personal E-mail delete blackhole.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Jan 1999 03:38:52 -0800

    Chris> When I can read press releases from a company that can
    Chris> compare the price of a Win98 upgrade (at $89-ish) to a
    Chris> Solaris install (at $430-ish) and conclude that "Windows 98
    Chris> is a good value"... I am afraid that an "I wrote DOS" from
    Chris> a MS employee will do very little to convince me that they
    Chris> are in the right.

    Chris> Especially when the article contains things like this: "One
    Chris> of the guys that I worked with complained about the stress,
    Chris> and I said, 'Just work less.'" (Tim Paterson,
    Chris> http://www.forbes.com/asap/97/1201/070.htm)

Hmm, let's see, based on a "hunch," a "gut feeling," you've concluded
this guy's a liar.  You certainly have high standards of proof, don't
you?

So much for the advanced intelligence of the linux user.

Jesus Christ himself could coax an "hallelujah" out of you.

mp

8<---------------how-easy-is-it-to-demunge-an-address?------------------->8
#! /usr/bin/perl # if you are [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Another Luser):
while ($line = <>){ if ($line =~ m/^\s*$/ ){ last; }
if ($line =~ m/^From: (\S+) \(([^()]*)\)/){ $from_address = $1; } }
if ($from_address =~ m/\S+NOSPAM\S+/){ $x = index($from_address, NOSPAM);
substr($from_address, $x, 6+1) = ""; printf("The real address is %s\n",
$from_address);}else { printf("No munge, just plain %s\n",$from_address);}
printf("\nBrought to you by the Truth In Mail Headers Foundation\n");
8<-----------------------here's-one-example------------------------------>8

--
                             Michael Powe
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.trollope.org

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 20 Jan 1999 11:37:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ok Loose nuts. Maybe windows is less stable, but this is ONLY important
> for the most critical applications of our time !!!!!!!!!!
Is it? Maybe in Microsoftworld where computers doesn't control important
things because `they cannot be trusted'. Ok, what I wanted to say is
I'd like to do my work, not waste my time to reboot.

> I really do not see the big deal with rebooting a'la CTRL-ALT-DEL even if
> I have to do once a day! I always save my data automatically. The worst that
> will happen is that I'll lose 5 minutes of work! big deal !!!
Once a day? Say, do you always work 10 minutes a day?
And, even if it really crashed once a day, the reboot would ruin
my work. You cannot think the same thoughts twice in a row, as
you cannot step into a same river twice a row. The concentrating
and other things... I'd even remember Murphy's Law if I didn't know
you then will argue about it and forget about the stability thing.

> But look at the other benifits: ease of use, lots of applications, color
> is there (not like X), and many many more.
Ease of use? That's proven wrong quite a while ago in c.o.l.a.
The people may think it's easy, but it's really not.
Lots of applications? Yes, lots of expensive buggy applications.
Most of them have free (in the sense of freedom and buglessness)
and gratis (in the sense of cost) alternatives to run under Linux.
Colors? Read the FAQs and manuals.
Many more? Like `better multitasking' that cannot manage three
simultaneus users or `enterprise-level technical support' that
lets you hang on a line for hours and then states they don't
know what to do? Or `improved and even easier desktop' that confuses
almost everyone with prior 3.1 experience? I don't think I really
want these.

> I think the crashes things is over sold and is getting old and boring
> to tell you the truth.
Should that be a valid point? I take the freedom to think about
<joke></joke> around this.

--
Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Below you can see an invisible tagline.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft is not alone in the "bloatware" programming race....
Date: 20 Jan 1999 19:31:47 -0500

In article <785dha$o0u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Lee Yohe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Fact : Microsoft make bloated applications.
>
>Fact: Everyone makes bloated applications.  You see, we aren't running on
>machines with 2MB of RAM anymore.  I use a machine chocked with 256MB of
>RAM.  That's why 99.9% of programmers write "bloated" code - I use bloated
>rather mildly as I do not truly think that it exists.
        99.9% of programmers write shitty code. Look at Solaris. Yes, it is
bloated. And butt-ugly, compared to SunOS 4. That's what you get for turning
BSD into Missed'em'Five. And if you don't test your code for scalability in
both directions - you are writing a bloody mess. As for API - gaack! When
was the last time when you looked at 1003*? Or read an old ANSI C standard,
for that matter? I *hope* that you are not one of lusers-with-root who never
use man/man{2,3}. Sheesh...

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: chrony-1.0-2.src.rpm
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:21:33 GMT

I downloaded this, thinking how clever I was to have found it in RPM format.
This should be a piece of cake, I thought.  Now I'm sitting in the corner
wearing a dunce cap.  :-)

I ran RPM -ivh chrony-1.0-2.src.rpm and it gave the hash marks and no error
messages.  Kewel.  But then I couldn't find whatever it was I had just
installed.  So I tried RPM -V chrony-1.0-2.src.rpm and it tells me the
package is not installed.  Wha??  So I try the install command again.. and it
does the same thing it did initially... it installs without errors.  In fact,
I up-arrowed a few times and installed it repeatedly while watching in
disbelief. Now, of course, RPM still says it isn't installed.

Is it me, or is RPM going nuts?

Can anyone shed any light?

TIA,
Bob

Bob Trevithick
Company:Qmail
User:rft

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve O'Hara Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why Pentium Pro?)
Date: 19 Jan 1999 16:29:24 GMT

Adam Sampson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On 13 Jan 1999 19:13:34 GMT, Robert Sexton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Plus, every time I've gone to download FreeBSD the sites have always been too
: slow to be useful. Linux I can get cheaply on CD in the UK.

    Hmmm, even ftp.uk.freebsd.org (aka src.doc.ic.ac.uk) ?

    BTW: I really like this use of the freebsd.org domain.

: Anyway, I doubt that there's anything that FreeBSD can do that Linux can't for
: me. I'm running a home proxy server, not a big company webserver.

    As the original poster pointed out it saves you the bother of chasing down
patches :)

------------------------------

From: "Puck" <@advantageweb.net>
Subject: Re: Linux to Win95 Null-Modem Connection
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 06:13:38 -0600

jymohqes wrote:

> Can I send file between Windows 95 and my Linux box via a null modem?
> If so how?  I'd like to be able to dial-up to my ISP on one and have
> both be able to acces the internet.  Is this possible? Any help would be
> GREATLY aprreciated.

Null modem? Yuck. Could be done, sure. Look up the pppd info about running
pppd
as a server on a serial port. Then look up the firewall, IP Masquerade, and
Network Address Translation (= ip masq) info. Connect to the net with Linux.
Establish a "dial-up" connection from win95 to the linux pppd machine. Set
up IP
forwarding & masquerading. Voila.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,mailing.freebsd.questions
Subject: FreeBSD and Linux benchmarks
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:02:33 GMT

In article <77st2h$p36$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Elijah Kagan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find any information about benchmarks of Linux and FreeBSD.
> Does anyone know about some study on this subject?
>
> I’ve spent a whole day searching various newsgroups and mailing list
> archives, but no luck there. All these long “FreeBSD vs Linux” debates do
> not seem to contain references to any published test results.
> Any information on the subject will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Elijah Kagan  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
> P.S. Please, reply personally as well as to the group.

Well, let me be more specific. I would be very interested in various SPEC
benchmarks: SPECweb96, SPECsfs97 and SPEC CPU95. I think it may be interesting
to compare FreeBSD and Linux machines to others. Furthermore, results may help
me convincing management ranks to use these operating systems in our company.

Thanks,
Elijah Kagan ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Kaustav Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BIOS fiddling for Linux installation
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:32:09 +0000

I'm installing RedHat 5.2 on a friends machine.  I thought I'd ask
opinions before I destroyed my friends system :-)
He has two IDE hard disks. IDE one is 10GB with one Win98 partition on
it, IDE two is blank and unformatted.  He wants to put Red Hat, the MBR
and LILO on the second disk without touching the first disk at all.  I
got thinking, and checked his BIOS.  I can change his BIOS settings to
boot off the second IDE first and then look for the 1st IDE.  So with
that in mind, if I were to create the MBR and install LILO under the
first 1024 cylinders of IDE disk two and install the rest of Linux and
associated packages on the second IDE disk, do any of your reckon
that'll work?  Or does Linux (Red Hat 5.2) absolutely insist on putting
the MBR and LILO on the primary master IDE on a system regardless of
BIOS settings?  Also, if LILO goes on IDE disk two, and I change the
BIOS to boot off the second disk first, will LILO be aware that Win98 is
on the first IDE disk?  I would assume I could change the LILO script
and tell it where Win98 resides?

Kozzey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: NEdit delete character
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:16:35 GMT

This may be off topic here, but who knows to setup the delete
character for NEdit to act forward ? I know the Helpfile that tell
lots of configuring the X Resources. However, there is no file like
.Xdefaults or .Xresources on my system. Can I savely create it ? And
where ?

Regards, Eggert

/**********************************************/
/***   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        ***/
/**********************************************/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bitbucket)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.sys.sun.apps
Subject: Re: StarOffice and Microsoft Office
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:42:00 GMT

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:03:35 +0900, "John De Hoog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>The spreadsheet program feels surprisingly like Excel, so it should be easy
>to adjust to. StarWriter, on the other hand, feels more like an html editor
>than a word processor. Word users won't like the floating menus, or having
>to perform two steps to do basic things that take one step in Word (like
>applying styles or using the autocorrect function). Like you, I started out
>with high hopes for this suite as an alternative to Office, but I have been
>largely disappointed so far.

No kidding. You didn't mention that if the users or IT staff have any
time invested in VBA , or have custom apps built with this tool they
are going to be really disappointed in SO. Oh, I forgot, everyone
thinks VB and all it's cousins suck. Never mind then....continue on...

------------------------------

From: Fred Flatstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Advice for Microsoft-haters
Date: 20 Jan 1999 17:33:20 -0800

"Michael Lee Yohe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have advice for you guys: get a life.

Do you begin every attempt to persuade with an insult?

While you're in school there, you aught to take a course
in human relations.  It'll do you (and those who have paid
for the bulk of your education) a lot more good than
another course in computer science or whatever you're
studying now.

> Every problem that Windows has is also evident in _all_ other breeds of
> operating systems.

Not true.

The biggest problem with Windows is shared by no other breed of OS.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:31:01 -0600
From: Dr A Medina S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Real NEWBIE question: How can I select my PATH

Help!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: AutoPPP and pppd server
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:44:22 GMT

Hi,
Josh Gentry's article on this helps a lot. I forgot
the site though. You may try another article I've
seen lately on the January issue of the LinuxGazette
e-zine by Mr Hassan Ali,

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue36/ali.html

I'm trying it out tonight. Good luck!

Bud

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:34:15 +1030
From: Glen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Don't want named messages in log file

Thomas Boggs wrote:

> named keeps sending messages to /var/log/messages, such as
>
> Jan 20 08:02:18 riemann named[275]: Cleaned cache of 0 RRs
> Jan 20 08:02:19 riemann named[275]: USAGE 916837339 916761737
> CPU=0.02u/0.04s CHILDCPU=0u/0s
> Jan 20 08:02:19 riemann named[275]: NSTATS 916837339 916761737
> Jan 20 08:02:19 riemann named[275]: XSTATS 916837339 916761737 RR=1
> RNXD=0 RFwdR=0 RDupR=0 RFail=0 RFErr=0 RErr=0 RAXFR=0 RLame=0 ROpts=0
> SSysQ=1 SAns=0 SFwdQ=0 SDupQ=0 SErr=0 RQ=0 RIQ=0 RFwdQ=0 RDupQ=0 RTCP=0
> SFwdR=0 SFail=0 SFErr=0 SNaAns=0 SNXD=0
>
> How can I keep all these named messages out but still include other info
> level messages?

Firstly, turn off named statistics:

In /etc/named.conf say

  options {
     statistics-interval 0;
  };

Secondly, configure named to output messages you don't want to see to a
lower log severity.  Since your idea of what is worth seeing may differ
from my idea, see:

  http://www.isc.org/bind8/logging.html

Cheers,
Glen