From: "Scott Swaim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Detecting new size of partition in Windoze
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:49:02 -0500

>From what I can gather the fat table does not get resized.  The fix that I
have found is the set the partition type to Linux and then format it in
Linux.  Then changed the type back to win98 and format it in win/dos.  This
should correct the problem.

Scott Swaim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SuSe 6.1 questions
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 20:37:01 GMT

Hi

Two questions.  I have a self-built machine with Intel Pentium 200 MMX
and SiS 4MB Video Card.

I have two questions.

I have successfully installed the Linux OS.  I have a 13 GB disk and
created a Linux native FileSystem with 5 GB.  There is a swap partition
with 128MB which I think is enough for my use (with 64MB memory).

Is it possible to install FreeBSD in the rest of the space and still use
LILO to load FreeBSD?

Also, what should be the monitor type that I should select for IBM
monitor 7029.  I bought it a few years back (15" monitor), but when I
use XFree86, not all colors are visible and the K desktop does not
display some icons and text at all.  Without the graphics mode, the
displiay seems fine.

Thanks

Regards

Venkat

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 16:59:11 -0400

Get a program called "ghost",
and tell it to "dump partition to image file"

Then go about resetting the partition. use dos's fdisk and make the 2 gig
partiton.
then use ghost and dump to partition from image file.

Just make sure you either have
a) another hdd on the same computer with dos accessable partition to store
the image file in.

or

b)  another partition on the same hdd that is accessable to dos

"ghost" is a dos program :)

The thing with linux fdisk and dos partitions, is that dos has some extra
stuff that linux's fdisk does not put in,  and it says that, somewhere in
the man pages for fdisk.

Another thing keeps nagging at me: when you restore a backup of windows,
does it do a high level back up or a low level one  ?

You backed up on a 1 gig partition.
you restored onto a 2 gig partition.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to insert degree symbol in Linux?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:04:52 GMT

Hello,
I would like to insert a degree symbol in a text line in Linux.
Thanks,
Larry

From: Alvaro Palma Aste [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Lp problem
Date: 2 Aug 2000 21:02:59 GMT

Try including "Foreign Hardware Support" in the Kernel.

This works for me.

What motherboard are you using? It seems that Asus Motherboards uses
an unknown type of paralel ports (at least for Linux, the original
setting of the kernel, who doesn't include the line above, doesn't
work)

Regards

--
Atte

Álvaro Palma Aste
Grupo de Ing Biomédica
U. de Chile

From: David Coppit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help on RedHat kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:28:12 -0400

Hi all,

I'm a newbie upgrading the kernel for a RedHat 6.1 distro. One complication is
that I don't have physical access to the machine, although in a pinch I do
have an even newer newbie who does. That said, you can guess how nervous I am
about upgrading the kernel. :)

Questions:

1) I'm following the instructions at
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/kernel-upgrade/kernel-upgrade-3.html,
and it says I need to download mkinitrd*rpm SysVinit*rpm initscripts*rpm from
the redhat website. I see that the 6.1/i386 directory doesn't have
mkinitrd*rpm or SysVinit*rpm. Does that mean I don't have to upgrade those
packages? (It does have initscripts-4.70-1.i386.rpm)

2) rpm -Uvh initscripts-4.70-1.i386.rpm fails:
  # rpm -Uvh initscripts*rpm
  error: failed dependencies:
    e2fsprogs >= 1.15 is needed by initscripts-4.70-1
    setup >= 2.0.3 is needed by initscripts-4.70-1
    /sbin/fuser is needed by initscripts-4.70-1
    timeconfig < 3.0 conflicts with initscripts-4.70-1
Do I really have to trace down these four packages and install them first?
Anyone know what package /sbin/fuser is in?

3) After I get the new kernel modules in, it looks like I can edit lilo.conf
remotely and then issue a reboot command. If the system comes back up, I can
check /var/log/dmesg for modules that failed to load. I should only need
someone at the computer in case I need to reboot from the floppy image, right?

Thanks a lot,
David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:34:46 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 12:33:02 -0700, blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>John Hasler wrote:
>>
>> Christopher Browne writes:
>> > ...as well as under a license whereby Be Software pays me $500,000, and
>> > then is allowed to include a GnomoVision DVD in their boxed sets of BeOS.
>>
>> On the other hand, had Christopher released GnomoVision under the BSD
>> license, Be would already be allowed to include GnomoVision in their boxed
>> sets of BeOS under a proprietary license without paying him a penny or
>> revealing the source to their enhancements to him or anyone else.
>>
>> The fact that the GPL does not permit this seems to be what enrages the BSD
>> trolls: they are evidently offended that we are not willing to make them a
>> gift of unlimited rights to our code.
>> --
>> John Hasler
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Dancing Horse Hill
>> Elmwood, Wisconsin
>
>I think the DVD under Linux issue will soon be a moot point.
>
>I've read from The Register from the U.K. that SiS will have
>native/hardware DVD support for Linux in its up-coming video chip set.

        This from the manufacturer who's product is pretty much
        a 'quick run for your life' signal to Linux running users...

[deletia]

        Vapour I say! Vapour...

        There was an announcement from InterVideo months ago and still
        nothing has come of it...

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Mouse pointer customisation - KDE menus
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:36:45 GMT

Hi

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to customise kde so that when
clicking on a menu option the mouse pointer changes from its normal
left-hand pointer shape and becomes a right-hand pointer and remains a
right-hand pointer while the mouse button remains pressed and moved
up/down the menu options (anyone who has used Motif will recognise
this mouse pointer behaviour).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Steve

------------------------------

From: Paul Mathis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slackware 7 locking up in X
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:11:09 -0500

This is a problem I have had with both the Slackware 7 and Slackware 7.1
stock installs.  Normal applications run with no problems, and I can run
X with benign programs like xterm and not encounter any problems, but if
I try to run a graphically intensive application such as netscape or
wine, it locks up the computer.  COMPLETELY locks it up, not just the
console.

No matter how much I attempt to isolate the problem, I still have about
6 contenders.  I have run slackware 3.6 stock install on this machine
for over a year with 60+ day uptimes running all sorts of applications,
so I tend to doubt that hardware is the issue (but can never be
completely ruled out, of course)

Slackware 7.0 included the 2.2.13 kernel and 7.1 uses the 2.2.16.  If
either of these kernels has a known problem, I'd appreciate information
about this, as I could easily try a different kernel out.  I plan to do
this anyways, but I'd at least like to know if I'm on the right track or
not.

If there are any known problems with recent versions of X, this
information will also be appreciated.  Installing an older version of X
won't be as easy, as many of the applications included with the
operating system are no doubt compiled against the libraries so there
may be some conflicts.  I can't see how netscape, or even wine for that
matter would be able to lock up the machine since neither of them have
root access, and it bugs me that my favorite operating system is
crashing on me. :(

Anyways, if anyone has some advice, I would certainly appreciate it.
Thank you.

-Restil
Paul Mathis

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oh no!
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 14:40:15 -0700

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> Johnny Kitchens ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> [ My sentiments......exactly
> [ "blowfish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> [ news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [ > And Red Hat is famous for buggie, crappy, unfinished products. And try
> [ > to hide behind the disguise of being on the "bleeding edge" when it
> [ > broke.
> [ >
> [ > If you choose Red Hat, you might as well stay with Windoz.  Even Win 9.x
> [ > is better than Red Hat, according to bugtraq.
>
> WOuld the continued use if Mandrake or RH be harmful to the casual Linux
> user though? Would this 'dll-hell' sort of problem affect only program
> or software developers?  I've managed to d/load & install RPMs from
> rufus.w3.org, though I have to admit it's mostly binaries

With .RPM binaries, you're at the mercy of whoever who created the .RPM
package. S/He might have a *slight* different version of a required lib;
or his system is set up slightly different than your's. And you'll be
forever running into the same '.dll-hell' that is part of life with
Windoz users.

Unless you're using one of the *BSD, and install from their "ports"
system (which will fetch the main source, all dependency files' sources,
MD5 checked them, patch the necessary patches, then, configure, make and
install everything right inside your very own machine, in front of your
eyes, and ask you what to do if there's more than one option to be
decided. And will tell you in detail and how to correct the problem if
it (hardly ever, but outside servers serving some of the files can be
unreachable from time to time.) fails.

And deinstall command will remove everything for you automatically.

And since everything is configured and compiled in your own machine.
They're optimized exactly to match the parameters of your machine.

And you can edit the codes to fit your own needs. :-)

Back to Linux.

> All my attempts to compile always say
> 'c compiler can't create executables'
> and that's only during the ./configure portion! Am I a hapless victim
> already?

Nope.

Most of the time, if you failed to compile from source is because the
development files are usually NOT installed by default.

Just install all the development (in SuSE Linux, *BSD, they are listed
under "devel") packages from your distro, and try again.(if you know
exactly what you need, you can be selective, but if you know exactly
what you need. You already know enough in what to do and have solved the
problem without asking for help here already.)  ;-)

This opensource is moving so fast, you're always a newbie.  If anybody
think s/he is a guru for more than a month or two is damn lying to
him/her-self. :-)

--
- Alex / blowfish.
--
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
  KISS rules. That's why I use Easy Edit (ee). Small. Simple and fast.
:-)
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs
==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song)Fingerprint -v.i007bond: Doe1(-a deer a female
deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
needle pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: How to insert degree symbol in Linux?
Date: 2 Aug 2000 21:41:40 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:04:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hello,
>I would like to insert a degree symbol in a text line in Linux.

<COMPOSE>,0,*

The COMPOSE key is usually mapped to the right-hand Ctrl key on a PC
keyboard.  If pressing Right_Ctl,0,* doesn't give you a ° symbol, then
execute the command
  xmodmap -e 'keysym Control_R = Multi_key'

I got this info from the Keyboard-and-Console HOWTO, the man page for
xmodmap, and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose ...just in case
anyone wants to find out more.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.