Linux-Misc Digest #320, Volume #26               Wed, 15 Nov 00 23:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Creating PDF (acrobat) files ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help... X Windows runs at a crawl.. Be my mentor,, Please
  Rogue Find? (Bill Boman)
  creating default route kills network interfaces (Dustin Puryear)
  Re: Rogue Find? (Robert Lynch)
  help off topic, perl problem (Robert Schweikert)
  Re: help off topic, perl problem (Jason)
  Re: dynamically add/remove ide HD ? (Jason)
  Re: ppp dialup does not work (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Getting system to re-read conf.modules (Vilmos Soti)
  Scanner card ("Anton Vorster")
  Re: waiting 5 minutes for route results (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: mounting multi-session CDRom?? (Dances With Crows)
  Booting problems [was: Help!] (Dances With Crows)
  Re: dynamically add/remove ide HD ? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: the relation between Linux and GCC (Hartmann Schaffer)
  Clipboard in Linux? (Vivek Narayanamurthy)
  Re: Upgrading kernel (From 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.2.17) (Hiroyuki HIKITA)
  Paul Allen's latest venture is looking for engineers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Clipboard in Linux? ("Jan Schaumann")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Creating PDF (acrobat) files ?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:04:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann) wrote:

> if you have it in tex-format, do teh following:
> latex foo.tex
> dvips foo.dvi
> ps2pdf foo.ps
>
> (there might be shorter way for the tex-thing).

If you use the PostScript fonts in LaTeX you can get
pretty good results. Have a look at the PDF files on
http://www.qsl.net/ve7ldh/thesis.html for some samples.

Lasura Halliday VE7LDH    "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg               pied a terre..." - Hospital/Shafte

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help... X Windows runs at a crawl.. Be my mentor,, Please
Date: 16 Nov 2000 01:03:41 GMT

>       Also, I installed a new 'microcrap wheelmouse' on my box lately.
> I found out how to set it up using 'mouseconfig'. It works on the
> console, but not in 'X'. It jumps around the screen and acts like it
> was on coke or something. DOes anybody know what's up with this ? I
> don't care about if the wheel works, I just want to get my fucking
> mouse working so I don't have to quit X windows every time.

You can also try the xset command:
xset m 5 2

should give a more manageble mouse speed.
the first number is the acceleration value
and the second is the threshold.
"m" is mouse

-Kyle

------------------------------

From: BB (Bill Boman)
Subject: Rogue Find?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:22:20 GMT

After 5-10 mins of being booted up my SuSE 6.4 Linux runs "Find" on
its own accord. Whether or not I'm connected to the net or running X
seems not to matter.

What makes this happen? What is it looking for? Can it be stopped?

Just curious to know whether anyone else has experienced this.

BB

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: creating default route kills network interfaces
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:33:25 GMT

Recently, I worked with a friend to [try] and resolve a very odd problem. We
have a Linux-based router with two NIC's that have the interfaces eth0 and
eth1. The interface eth0 is for the internal network 192.168.1.0/24, and
interface eth1 is for access to the Internet.

We can bring both interfaces up using static IP addresses. Once the
interfaces are up we can ping both. However, if we establish a default
route then we can no longer ping either the eth0 or eth1 interface,
but we can ping the loopback address.

I have verified that a route is created to 192.168.1.0/24 over interface eth0,
and so a default route should not affect a ping to either the interface
or to any address on 192.168.1.0/24--yet, for some reason it does.

We tried using both real and fake gateway addresses on both the local
and external networks as the default route gateway just to see what happens.
Everytime both interfaces become inaccessible. However, once we tear down
the default route then the interface are again accessible.

The NIC's are DLink's, although I'm not sure how that will affect
the situation.

Anyway, I am a bit lost as to why this is happening. Any ideas?

--
Dustin Puryear <$email = "dpuryear"."@usa.net";>
Integrate Linux Solutions into Your Windows Network

------------------------------

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rogue Find?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:40:46 -0800

Bill Boman wrote:

> After 5-10 mins of being booted up my SuSE 6.4 Linux runs "Find" on
> its own accord. Whether or not I'm connected to the net or running X
> seems not to matter.
>
> What makes this happen? What is it looking for? Can it be stopped?
>
> Just curious to know whether anyone else has experienced this.
>
> BB

Maybe you have "anacron" installed.  It's set up to run thru
/etc/cron.daily 5 minutes after bootup.  Several of its
processes, "slocate.cron", etc., run "find" or friends.

This observation is based on my RedHat install, maybe SuSE has
something similar?

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Schweikert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help off topic, perl problem
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:56:22 -0500

I have a perl script that uses a Spawn module and it works for one
account but not for another. Here is what I get

rjschwei-> perl -e "use Spawn"

Can't locate Spawn/POSIX.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/abaqus60/utils/source/perl_inc /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at /usr/abaqus60/utils/source/perl_inc/Spawn.pm line
233.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/abaqus60/utils/source/perl_inc/Spawn.pm line
233.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.

but the module POSIX.pm is actually there, as follows:

rjschwei-> locate POSIX.pm

/usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/POSIX.pm

I compared the output from perl -V for the account where this works and
the account it doesn't work and they are the same. I changed the group
of the account where it doesn't work to the same group as the account
for which this works, same result.

I can't think of anything else to do. ANy help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         LINUX

------------------------------

From: Jason <Jason(at)cyborgworkshop.com>
Subject: Re: help off topic, perl problem
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:56:38 -0600

Did you install the module as root?  check the permissions of the module
itself with the other modules.. I would bet its a permissions problem or a
path problem.

--
Jason
      www.cyborgworkshop.com

------------------------------

From: Jason <Jason(at)cyborgworkshop.com>
Subject: Re: dynamically add/remove ide HD ?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:00:47 -0600

IDE doesnt do hot swap well.  Some people will argue Im sure, but if you
look at the IDE white paper, IDE wants to be shut down and powered off
totally to be removed. Reason being is that the controller needs to reset
itself and figure out whats on its bus. So, short answere, you could do it
but it wont be pretty.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: ppp dialup does not work
Date: 16 Nov 2000 02:03:04 GMT

In <8ushhl$tgv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

]About two months ago I started using a "DosLinux" and I decided here
]recently that I liked Linux enough to switch to the real thing. Since
]my DosLinux was based on Slackware, I went to the FTP site for
]Slackware and downloaded Slackware 7.1. Since I was using the real
]thing, I of course had to reformat or repartition my hard drive. I
]chose the former, but did not back up the necessary files from the
]DosLinux image file :(. I had PPP working on the previous system, but I
]am having problems getting it reconfigured on Slackware. I used the
]pppsetup script that was on the disks I made, and then when I type ppp-
]go I get the message "serial link established: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS14".
]The /dev/ttyS14 part of that is correct, because I am using the Lucent
]winmodem driver. After the message comes up, I have about ten seconds
]until the computer freezes with the message "kernel panic: attempted to
]kill idle task!". In those ten seconds, I can type "ifconfig" and see
]that the PPP link is not there. Has anyone had this problem or know
]what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The linmodem module was compiled on a 2.2.12 (I think) system. This
means that it works on a 2.2.12 kernel system. It may work on a later
kernel, but also may not. Sounds like you have a "not".
This is one of hte problems with modules. They are really kernel
specific. This is no problem if you have source code, but is a real
problem if, as in this case, you do not. So, I suspect that the module
is not compatible with your kernel.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Getting system to re-read conf.modules
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:03:56 GMT

mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>            if you depmod -a, will that cause any modules to be loaded.
> How does depmod -a effect the running Linux system. What does
> depmod actually do?

depmod will create a dependency file about the modules. For example,
in order to load a soundblaster driver, you need to load soundcore.o
first. This is what depmod does. As far as I know it doesn't un/load
any modules. It merely writes /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep
which is the dependency file.

Take a look at depmod's and insmod's man page.

Also, as someone else said, just unload a module, edit /etc/modules.conf,
and reload the module. I don't know how I forgot this advice since I
spent a quality time back with alsa.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: "Anton Vorster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner card
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:05:11 +0200

Has anybody successfully installed a scanner using the infamous NCR/SYSBIOS
53C400A controller card?  I'm trying to get my Mustek MFC-600S to work with
Mandrake 7.2 and sane.  I believe some HP Scanjets use the same card.  If
you've had success, please let me know how you did it!

------------------------------

Subject: Re: waiting 5 minutes for route results
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:05:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> When I issue the route command it has to think for quite some time
> (minutes) before displaying the routing table.  Also, pinging the local
> ip address (not loopback) results in 70 to 80% packet loss.  Pinging
> this same ip from the network gets 0% loss.  I've tried multiple
> NIC's.  Anybody have any ideas?

About the long time route takes to print the routing table. Try "route -n"
to avoid name lookups.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.linux.os,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: mounting multi-session CDRom??
Date: 16 Nov 2000 02:19:22 GMT

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:24:01 GMT, nf wrote:
>I have created a CDROM in two sessions, without making any kind of links
>from one session to the other.

Huh?  How did you make this CD-ROM?  Using mkisofs and cdrecord, or with
Adaptec Easy CD Cremator, or...?  Multisession burning in Linux requires
a little bit of preparation, as shown below:
   mkisofs -r -o image.iso /path/to/stuff
   cdrecord -multi image.iso
   TRACK=`cdrecord -msinfo`
   mkisofs -r -C $TRACK -M /dev/scd0 -o image2.iso /path/to/otherstuff
   cdrecord -multi image2.iso
   (repeat last 3 steps for other sessions...)

>When I mount the cdrom in Redhat Linux 7 (default kernel), I can only
>see the files from the first session.  How do I read the info from the
>second session?  Is there something I add to the MOUNT command?

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -o session=2      ?

If the CD was properly burned, the second session should just show up
when you mount the CD.  One caveat:  I've seen at least 2 CD-RWs that
didn't re-read the TOC unless you ejected and re-inserted the CD.
Therefore, you could burn a second session, but you couldn't read it
until you ejected the disc and re-mounted it.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Booting problems [was: Help!]
Date: 16 Nov 2000 02:19:24 GMT

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:33:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

"Help!" is *NOT* an appropriate Subject: line.  Something like "LILO
problems" or "Cannot dual-boot w/Lose98" would've been much better.

>  I am a beginner on learning Linux. In my PC, I've already installed
>Win98. Now I also want to install linux in order to dual-boot between
>2 os. But every time when i am going on the last stage of installation--
>----"Lilo setup", whatever i do , Lilo can't be installed.
>  If i choose to use SCSI device, it looks like being ok.

Why would you do this if you don't have a SCSI disk on your machine?

>  If i choose not to use SCSI device, Lilo can't be installed and SETUP
>can't be finished.  Because there are some bad sectors on my hard-disk,
>i wonder whether Lilo is just going to be installed on those bad
>sectors, which leads the problem i get stuck in.

If there are bad sectors on your drive, you need a new drive.  Modern
IDE drives dynamically remap "marginal" sectors to a pool of good
sectors that are reserved for this purpose.  When you run out of known
good sectors, you start seeing bad sectors, and the number of bad
sectors will only grow.  Send it back to the manufacturer if it's under
warranty, or if not, buy a new drive; they've gotten pretty darn
cheap.

You can always make a boot floppy and boot your Linux system from that.
The install process should give you the chance to do that.  Make several
boot floppies so you won't be locked out when one goes bad.  HTH,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 16 Nov 2000 02:19:27 GMT

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:47:18 +0100, Laurent Bize wrote:
>Just a question.
>Could we add or remove dynamically IDE HD as scsi by the /proc interface
>?
>echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 0 5 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
>echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 5 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

Probably not.

IDE is not SCSI.  IDE devices are *NOT* designed to be hot-swappable,
and pulling/inserting an IDE cable while the system is powered-up will
at best spew horrible error messages over everything before freezing the
system, and at worst fry the IDE controller.

This doesn't hold true for removable media such as ORB drives, and it
may not hold true if there's a piece of hardware that sits between the
actual drive and the mainboard's IDE controller and promises hot-swap
capability.  If this is a standard IDE drive that plugs directly into
a standard IDE ribbon cable, you should not mess with that cable while
the system's power is on.

HTH, but if you really need this sort of thing, you should go with
external SCSI or removable media....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Subject: Re: the relation between Linux and GCC
Date: 14 Nov 2000 21:28:06 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Robert Kiesling  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Minix was constrained by its design for the 8086 and 80286, and did
>not use GCC at all, but, as you said, used the Amsterdam Compiler Kit,
>IIRC.  Minix also has a commercial license and at the time, was at

to be fair, only few people had internet access then, and tanenbaum
felt going through a publisher was the best way to make it widely
available.  the license was designed to let people experiment with the
system, but you couldn't  distribute modifications without going
through the publisher.

>least as expensive as MS-DOS, IIRC.  I'm not sure that in that flame

but included a bunch of application code

hs

From: Vivek Narayanamurthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Clipboard in Linux?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:18:26 -0600

Hi,

Can anybody tell me about the "clipboard" or its equivalent in Linux? Is
it different for GNOME, KDE, etc...

Thanks

Vivek

------------------------------

From: Hiroyuki HIKITA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Upgrading kernel (From 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.2.17)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:11:15 +0900

Kaybenn Sturas wrote:

> Greetings :)
>
> I am trying to upgrade my kernel from 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.2.17.  I am
> running Red Hat 6.2 on a Pentium 166 Mhz MMX with 40Megs of RAM and a
> 1Gig ext2 partition set aside for linux.
>
> I've gone through the make mrproper, xconfig, dep, clean, bzImage,
> modules, and modules_install all while logged in as root and all without
> error.  I then modified my lilo.conf as follows so it included a new
> section "linux2" for the new kernel Image:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> linear
> default=linux
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
>     label=linux
>     read-only
>     VGA=788
>     root=/dev/hda3
>
> image=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
>     label=linux2

> Have I left out a needed video driver?
> Is there a way to log what is happening while my screen is black?

Try including support for  fb consoles when you compile the kernel.

Or maybe you could try booting with a grub fd with the following
commands.

> root    (hd0,2)
> kernel  /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage  root=/dev/hda3
> boot

# Hiroyuki HIKITA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Paul Allen's latest venture is looking for engineers
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:31:45 GMT

 DIGEO BROADBAND,INC. is the core of Paul Allen's wired world and are
actively seeking highly qualified people with experience in interactive
TV and Linux/UNIX and JAVA.  Please check out our web site at
http://www.digeo.com and send me your resume if you are interested and
qualified. This is the opportunity to take this company to the next
level and make a difference.  Our first beta launch is 12/5 through
Charter Communications and it is only up from there.

We are located in Kirkland, WA and offer generous benefits and awesome
pre-IPO options.

--
Paula Azoulay, Ph.D.
Sr. Technical Recruiter

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clipboard in Linux?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:41:07 -0500

"Vivek Narayanamurthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anybody tell me about the "clipboard" or its equivalent in Linux? Is
> it different for GNOME, KDE, etc...

What's a "clipboard"? Oh, maybe you mean copy and pasting? That should
work the same in all unices - highlighting copies, clicking middle
button/wheel (or both buttons if you don't have a middle button) pastes.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>
I AM NOT MY LONG-LOST TWIN