Linux-Misc Digest #474, Volume #25               Thu, 17 Aug 00 19:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: SRPM question ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: X Window System Rebellion (Robert Hampf)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.16 build breaks (Alastair Neil)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.16 build breaks (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Modem Troubles (Rob Clark)
  Can't install Rh 6.1 486 with 15gb hd and Promise Drivemax (mike)
  Re: Need help about libgd (urgent!) (Henk-J)
  Re: SRPM question (Alex Chudnovsky)
  Re: UDMA IDE Drive stops network transfers ("Nick")
  Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers (Dances With Crows)
  Mouse cursor problem (Dmitry Vjushin)
  Re: Mouse cursor problem (Derek M. Flynn)
  Re: STTY and ERASE (NF Stevens)
  Re: to any one using linux with sympatico HSE: what gives?
  QT: Getting user data atom information from mov files on Linux box?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  QT: Getting user data atom information from mov files on Linux box?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mouse cursor problem (Dances With Crows)
  Re: random Linux freezing (Martin Kroeker)
  Re: Memory question (Arlan Lucas de Souza)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers
Date: 17 Aug 2000 21:07:40 GMT

Stefan Soos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Garman) writes:

:> Are there any good trackers for Linux?  By tracker I mean the software
:> with which you can *create* MOD files (or S3M, XM, etc).  DOS examples are
:> Impulse Tracker and FastTracker.

: I know of FunktrackerGold and Soundtracker.
: Funktracker runs under the console Soundtracker needs Gtk.

Anyone care to explain what a "tracker" is? I've been unable to make
anything of the references here. What is a MOD file? Is it some kind
of music archive? Is it one of those with multiple tracks for
synthesized musical instruments? Why would one call a soundtrack editor
(for it is such) a "tracker"? Ahhhh ... is it an abbreviation of
"soundtrack"? Nothing to do with the verb "to track"?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SRPM question
Date: 17 Aug 2000 21:12:14 GMT

James Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I'm trying to install kernel-2.2.16-3.src.rpm downloaded from one
: of the RedHat mirrors.  The command

:    rpm -i kernel-2.2.16-3.src.rpm

: takes only 3 seconds to run, prints no error messages,
: and appears to do NOTHING.  It does not install the SRPM.

Yes it does. Go look where it put it. Probably somewhere under
blahblah/Redhat/Sources. Run it under strace if you don't believe me.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Hampf)
Subject: Re: X Window System Rebellion
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 00:22:31 +0300

N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hélt þessu fram:
:
: i tried to change the
: etc/X11/XF86Config file or something like in a text editor to get my
: System to recognize an Intel(R) Graphics Chipset.

To get a better resolution there are two lines you can try to change:
HorizSync and VertRefresh.  Use the numbers you get from your
monitor's manual.  The values limit the stress you put on the monitor.
If you raise the ceiling you allow for a better resolution but the
monitor has to be able to take it.  At least on this RH there are
spare modelines so you shouldn't need to add any.

You also have to have the right server to get a optimum resolution.  I
don't know what server supports your chipset.  You should find it on
the web pages of X.

: ok i thought i did fine
: but later on i couldnt get back into my Linux Desktop. it stayed at the
: black screen with the # prompt. i couldnt startx either.

Did you get an error message?  Try starting X with
startx >log.txt 2>&1
Post the file you get (log.txt) here so maybe somebody sees what's
causing the problems.  There are so many things that can go wrong that
it's impossible to guess unless you have the error message.

rh

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:45:03 +0100
From: Alastair Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.16 build breaks

James Garrison wrote:

> Sorry, I omitted the following from the previous message:
>
> Current OS is RH 6.2 with 2.2.16-3 kernel installed from
> RPM, on a P-II with 128MB memory and 12GB disk.  I'm trying
> to rebuild the kernel to install some additional modules.
>
> James Garrison wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to build the 2.2.16 kernel and it breaks compiling
> > vfs.c:
> >
> > gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include -Wall
> > -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fo
> > mit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -m486
> > -malign-lo
> > ops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686   -c -o vfs.o vfs.c
> > gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> > make[3]: *** [vfs.o] Error 1
> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/fs/nfsd'
> > make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/fs/nfsd'
> > make[1]: *** [_subdir_nfsd] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/fs'
> > make: *** [_dir_fs] Error 2
> > {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> > {standard input}:0: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline
> > inserted
> > {standard input}:822: Error: expecting operand after ','; got nothing
> > cpp: output pipe has been closed
> >
> > This is not a disk space problem:
> >
> > # df
> > Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/hda1              1035660    257068    725984  26% /
> > /dev/hda6              3028080        20   2874240   0% /opt
> > /dev/hda5              4127076   1199888   2717544  31% /usr
> >
> > Suggestions?

last time I saw the compiler choke with a signal 11 it was due to bad
memory.

--
Those who are mentally and emotionally healthy are those who have
learned when to say yes, when to say no and when to say whoopee. -- W.S.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Date: 17 Aug 2000 17:46:22 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, James Garrison wrote:
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

This is often a hardware problem.
See http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ .

--
Paul Kimoto
Disclaimer: Other than explicit citations of URLs, hyperlinks appearing

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Modem Troubles
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:43:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
No User  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark) writes:
>
>>I believe that Hayes has a Venus chipset modem called H08-15002.
>
>If this does have a LT "Venus" chipset, will the "LinModem" driver
>work with it?  I know that the LinModem project was mainly for the
>"Apollo/Mars" chipset.

If it's a Venus chipset modem, it doesn't need a Linmodem driver at all.
There are several PCI modems now available based on this chipset, but I
don't think the original poster has one.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  <-- Linux/modem compat. list

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't install Rh 6.1 486 with 15gb hd and Promise Drivemax
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:56:08 -0400

Hi,
    I seem to be stuck at the disk partitioning part of the install
using the Redhat 6.1 cd. What seems to be happening is
that Disk Druid is adding the partitions as primary partitions.
In my past experience with other systems, Disk Druid adds
additional partitions as logical partition, I think. Not primary ones.
I can't see where there is an option to add partitions as
logical / extended partitions. At one point it said "No free
Primary Partitions".  This was where I wanted to create 4 or
more partitions. When I tried to set up only a "/" and a "swap"
partition, it said " Not enough space"
   I upgraded my Gateway 486 by adding a Promise Drivemax
card to extend the bios to allow up 128 GB hard drives. I added
a 15 GB IBM 7200 rpm hard drive.  So far I was able to install
Win95 C on the system without problems and Windows
recognized all the hard drive space. I am using about 8 GB for
Win95 as 4 partitions. (Win c:, d:, e:, f:) (Linux: hda1, hda5, hda6,
hda7)
  The way it appears now, either there is a problem with Disk Druid,
in which case maybe it's possible to use Linux FDISK or the like,
or the Promise Drivemax does not work with Linux.

                                                Thanks
                                                            Mike

------------------------------

From: Henk-J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help about libgd (urgent!)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:47:26 GMT

> Hi!
>
> Excuse my poor English, i'm French :)
>
> I have some problems with webalizer and libgd, under a Linux system
> (Mandrake 7). I want to compile webalizer with the French settings.
> It means that I have to recompile webalizer with some french headers,
> included in the distribution.
> But the compilation says that libgd.a is not find !
> I have installed the latest version of libgd, but, reading some
> documents about it, I have already installed older versions, who
> supports GIF pic generation.
> I'm not a Linux master, but I think doing what it needs.
>
> Have you some response for me.
>
> ** Write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] directly. **
>
> --
> Colin VEROT - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - PGP DH/DSS ID 0x28C8834C
> Internet Quake - Web development - http://www.verot.net

My English is also not to good :))

I think I have the same problem: but found that the file is in the
libgd-devel-1.3.4 RPM package

From: Alex Chudnovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 00:04:34 +0000

James Garrison wrote:

> All the documentation seems to imply that one can't actually
> "install" an SRPM and leave the source files installed.
> The rpm docs say the --rebuild option installs the source,
> builds and installs the package and then deletes the source.
>
> Suppose I just want to install the sources and rebuild the
> package myself after changing some options?  How do I accomplish
> this?
>
> --
> James Garrison                                Athens Group, Inc.
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    5608 Parkcrest Dr
> http://www.athensgroup.com                    Austin, TX 78731
> PGP: RSA=0x04B73B7F DH/DSS=0x70738D88         (512) 345-0600 x150

As usual - rpm -ivh <package_name> installs the source.
Then you cd to /usr/src/RPM/SPECS, find your spec and build according to it
- rpm -ba <your_spec_name>.

Alex Chudnovsky
e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ : 35559910

------------------------------

From: "Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: UDMA IDE Drive stops network transfers
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:06:08 GMT

are you sure the dire warning is not for the -U flag instead of the -u flag?
"David Steuber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik) writes:

' >My first thought was that the interrupt for the IDE drive was taking
' >up all the CPU time so that the NIC couldn't be serviced.  But a
'
' You're probably right :) Try "hdparm -u1 /dev/hd<device letter>". This
will
' turn on IRQ unmasking for the drive, reducing CPU overhead when there is
' large amounts of disk I/O. For some setups, this option is considered
' dangerous (CMD640B and RZ1000), but most people should be OK.

Man hdparm has dire warnings about this one.  But I sure could use the
speed.  The machine I am setting up as a server uses the Abit VH6
board with Via chipset.  Will this be safe?  Another machine that
could use a boost is a Gateway 2000 G6-200.  Will that be safe?  I
really can't afford to scramble the disks, and I have no place to
backup too :-(.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
--- Devon Miller

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 17 Aug 2000 22:08:57 GMT

On 17 Aug 2000 21:07:40 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>Stefan Soos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Garman) writes:
>:> Are there any good trackers for Linux?  By tracker I mean the software
>:> with which you can *create* MOD files (or S3M, XM, etc).  DOS examples are
>:> Impulse Tracker and FastTracker.
>: I know of FunktrackerGold and Soundtracker.
>: Funktracker runs under the console Soundtracker needs Gtk.
>Anyone care to explain what a "tracker" is? I've been unable to make
>anything of the references here. What is a MOD file? Is it some kind
>of music archive? Is it one of those with multiple tracks for
>synthesized musical instruments? Why would one call a soundtrack editor
>(for it is such) a "tracker"? Ahhhh ... is it an abbreviation of
>"soundtrack"? Nothing to do with the verb "to track"?

A better name for the software in question might be "sequencer", as it
assembles a user-specified sequence of prerecorded audio samples (or
MIDI samples) into a reasonably well-defined file format, and gives
great compression at the expense of a somewhat "techno" repetitive
quality.  The name "tracker" probably came about because these
programs were among the first to be able to work with more than one
audio track at once back when a 386 w/4M was a Big Machine for home use.
The file format these things used had the extension .MOD, and I believe
these programs were very popular on the Amiga.

No stranger than calling a program that searches files for a pattern
"grep", or a parser "bison".

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: Dmitry Vjushin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,alt.comp.linux
Subject: Mouse cursor problem
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:02:02 +0300

Hi,

I've installed Red Hat 6.2 on DEC WS AS600 5/266
with ATI Match 64 GX 16MB video card. It is running
XFee86 3.3.6 X-server with resolution 1280x1024 and
color depth 24.

The problem is that the mouse cursor is not an arrow
but a rectangle of normal height and width about 5-6
times bigger than normal. How can I fix it ?

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry Vjushin,
Bar-Ilan University,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Derek M. Flynn)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,alt.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Mouse cursor problem
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:26:51 GMT

Dmitry Vjushin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed Red Hat 6.2 on DEC WS AS600 5/266
> with ATI Match 64 GX 16MB video card. It is running
> XFee86 3.3.6 X-server with resolution 1280x1024 and
> color depth 24.
>
> The problem is that the mouse cursor is not an arrow
> but a rectangle of normal height and width about 5-6
> times bigger than normal. How can I fix it ?

xsetroot(1) has an option to change the cursor.  Try:

$ xsetroot -cursor_name top_left_arrow

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:33:08 GMT

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>> I must apologize, I wrote in haste. It seems FreeBSD uses ^H by
>> default. I must have tested the wrong terminal. I have rebooted my
>> FreeBSD box and when connected, it did say erase = ^H. Well, I guess the
>> verdict is in: every single os (other than linux) that I use uses ^H by
>> default. Hmm, well, all that's left is to convince Linus :)
>>
>> Now I know which OS I need to "fix"
>
>if you want to "fix" the console, just hack the keyboard definition
>file.  it's somewhere like /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty
>i created a us+.kmap from us.kmap which switches control and
>caps-lock.  it shouldn't be too hard to hack the back-space key to
>send ^H.

Fixing the broken initial erase character is easy too. Just
edit INIT_C_CC in include/asm/termios.h and change \177 to \008.

>as for X, rxvt can be configured at compile time.  i have this in my
>.xdefaults, but i try to use ^? everywhere (since emacs uses ^H as the
>help function).

Then emacs is broken. ^H is in the ascii character set as backspace.
If a piece of software cannot even adhere to the most basic standards
then it should fixed.

Norman

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: to any one using linux with sympatico HSE: what gives?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:49:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The first time I tried it, I had all the phones disconnected, and the modem
> plugged into the basement connector. which is connected to the phone box at
> home. There's no jack in it. just wires going in and out of it.
> I also tried it with all phones connected through the filters and moving the
> modem about. The transfer rate is the same whether it is in the basement or
> in my room .

   Sounds like you've proven the problem isn't at your end. Assuming the
modem hasn't gone bad. So it's up to bell to figure out what they've screwed
up.

> Another thing:
> I am on the 64.229.x.x network. I heard some negative references to this ,
> and am wondering : Would it be that I am connected through a bad card to a
> worse front end ?

   I've been on 64.xxx.xxx.xxx for months now.[check my headers] Never a problem. I
think it's
just an obvious target for people.

Nick

--
=============================
Anybody got plans for an ark?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.hackintosh,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: QT: Getting user data atom information from mov files on Linux box?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:38:13 GMT

I'm trying to write a program which extract all the movie info stored in
the user data atoms in a certain directory. I've been doing some
readings, and all I can tell at this point is that I could use Movie
Toolbox or the Apple Script to get that information.

However, I'm doing this on Linux box, running Redhat 6.0, so I can't use
the toolbox. What is the best way to get those information from movie
files? If the only way to go is for me to parse the file myself, is
there any examples to do this somewhere?

Any help/suggestions will be helpful!

Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,alt.comp.linux
Date: 17 Aug 2000 22:51:24 GMT

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:02:02 +0300, Dmitry Vjushin wrote:
>I've installed Red Hat 6.2 on DEC WS AS600 5/266 with ATI Match 64 GX
>16MB video card. It is running XFee86 3.3.6 X-server with resolution
>1280x1024 and color depth 24.  The problem is that the mouse cursor is
>not an arrow but a rectangle of normal height and width about 5-6 times
>bigger than normal. How can I fix it ?

This occurs occasionally; seems to be a problem with the hardware cursor
control in certain cards.  I've never heard of it happening to a Mach64
card (usually on S3 and Trident cards) but you can try this:

Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config with a text editor
Find a line that says Section "Device"
Below this line, add the line:
  Option "sw_cursor"
Save the file, restart the X-server

HTH, good luck.

From: Martin Kroeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: random Linux freezing
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:17:59 GMT

Crni Gorac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm experiencing strange problems with a PentimPro/166 machine. After
> installing RedHat Linux 6.2, machine is freezing at random intervals
> upon boot. It is freezing even in runlevel 3, without X windows, so I

Could be a hardware problem. Either memory - Chris Bradys memtest
program, http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/ is good at
finding this - or possibly overheating. Is the CPU fan still working ?

HTH,
Martin
--
Dr. Martin Kroeker, daVeg GmbH Darmstadt  CAD/CAM/CAQ  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      Precision Powered by Penguins

------------------------------

From: Arlan Lucas de Souza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory question
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:50:05 -0400

Hi Javier

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Javier Hijas wrote:

> Thanks, I do know and understand that text, but what I really want to
> know is the exactly sort of memory these commands are about, not to
> understand them.

The free, ps, top and others commands use the term 'memory' to refer the
RAM memory installed at your computer. Some amount of this memory is
used for processes and others for disk buffering (i.e disk information is
copy to memory to speed the CPU work).

The free command, for example, uses the terms buffer, cache and shared to
identify each memory part properly. Read the article "Tips for Optimizing
Linux Memory Usage" for a better description on each term.

> (I am sorry, my English is not too good, and perhaps I don't explaing
> properly what I mean)

No matter! I'm a brazilian and my English is worse. Let me know if you
don't undertand me.

Good luck,
Arlan