From: "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help: 2.2.17 kernel crashes during large I/O operations
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:18:47 +0200

Just read help on scsi adaptor driver parameters in kernel configuration -
it says it fails for some reason with tagged que on or whatever else - just
play around with these parameters
Maybe your old kernel had a bit different approach to SCSI bus on your
adapter

AG

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: problems with .rhosts?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:13:28 GMT

One more thought, you could have an unprintable character in the line.

Delete the greentea  line and re-type it above the coffee line.

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:06:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Zen Sorcerer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Badly need help with a freezing box
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:30:07 -0000

This is a known problem with the 2.2.14 kernel. Please upgrade to the
2.2.16 kernel: ftp.suse.com

Zen

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem compiling kernel 2.2.17
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 19:54:06 +0100

Mauro Morandin wrote:

> I have tried to compile the kernel 2.2.17 on three different machines
> 1. (1996)Pentium133Mhz NIC 3Com 590
> 2. (2000)PentiumIII500Mhz Acer 723 Laptop NIC eepro100
> 3. (2000)PentiumIII733Mhz NIC 3Com 590
>
> The kernel compiles correctly, but when I boot the
> nfsd would not start saying : nfssvc service not implemented.

Did you enable the support for the kernel nfsd (search for CONFIG_NFSD
in theconfig file) ? It's under  Filesystem->Network File Systems in the
kernel configuration and may be hidden if you didn't enable also Code
maturity level options-> Prompt for development and/or incomplete
code/drivers

--
Markus Kossmann

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie Boot problems
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:46:31 GMT

I apologize if this was double-posted -- not very
co-ordinated today!!

I am a very new user to Linux (I just installed
it yesterday!!) and have run into a bit of a
problem. First a little background on hardware
and the install. I have installed it on a dual
Pentium Pro (2x200mhz)with 256 mb ram. I boot
from a 9.1GB Ultra Wide Quantum Scsi drive
connected to an Adaptec 2940U2W adapter. My video
card is an Imagine 128 (Series 2) with 4mb ram,
and the monitor is a Viewsonic GT770 17".
I first created a 4GB partition with FDISK and
installed Windows98. Next, I proceeded to install
Red Hat Linux 7.0 from bootable CD. I chose a
workstation install WITHOUT manually partitioning
as this seemed to be the most straightforward
install (I'm very new to this!!). The installer
detected my hardware fine, but then crashed when
it got about midway through intstalling the
packages. The error was something like: installer
exited abnormally. I rebooted and tried again and
this time everything went fine, upto the
Xconfigure stage. I chose my monitor (which was
listed), inputed the correct ram for my video
card (4mb) and chose some display seetings I
commonly used, but kept getting a message saying
Xconfigure had failed. Eventually I skipped it
and the install completed. I rebooted and was
presented with a Red Hat screen with boot
chose 1.LINUX and it began booting. Several
screens of text went by, and then the system hung
at the following: "CHECKING TSC SYNCHRONIZATION
ACROSS CPU'S". I rebooted a couple of times with
the same result. I booted using the second
option, LINUX UP, and booted into the command
shell, and as far as I can tell everything is
fine here. I checked Win98 and that boots fine as
well.
If anyone can offer any assistance, it would be
greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if it has to
do with the fact I have 2 processors, or perhaps
because the xconfigure failed.
Anyways, looking forward to getting Linux
running, as I've heard so many good things about
it. (Even heard people saying they haven't
rebooted a machine in over a year --- can't even
remember a day when I haven't HAD to reboot a
Windows machine!!!)

Sorry if this seems long winded and simplistic,
and thanks in advance for your time and help,

Phil Harvey

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cross-Device Link
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 19:02:06 GMT

I'm trying to link my mounted vfat drive to a directory in
the /home/httpd/ directory and i'm getting a 'Invalid cross-device
link' error. I'm pretty sure it's possible to link to another device,
but the question is how. Any help is appreciated!

/geoff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: LXNY Meeting Tuesday 5 December 2000: Robert B. K. Dewar on how to make
millions selling free software
Date: 5 Dec 2000 14:27:01 -0500

This meeting is free and open to the public.

The meeting runs from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm.  After the meeting full and
precise instructions on how to get to our traditional place of refreshment
will be given in clear.

Thanks to support of the IBM Corporation, the meeting is at their building
at 590 Madison Avenue at East 57th Street on the Island of Manhattan.
Enter the building at the corner of Madison and 57th and ask at the desk
for the floor and room number.

Robert B. K. Dewar, Head of Ada Core Technologies, a multi-million-dollar
multi-national free software company, will talk about how to make money
with free software.

Today one of the many rhetorical attacks against free software goes "But is
free software ready for the Enterprise?".  Ada Core Technologies sells
services and software built around GNAT, the Official GNU Compiler for Ada,
the Official Computer Language of the United States Military Industrial
Complex.  Another rhetorical attack goes "But how can you make money
selling free software?".  Ada Core Technologies makes money.

Robert B. K. Dewar is

Professor of Computer Science at the Courant Institute of Mathematical
Sciences at NYU,

an expert on programming languages,

a serious programmer who has written compilers, language libraries and
real-time OSes, on a wide range of platforms from embedded systems to
microcomputers to mainframes,

a mainstay of the robust froup comp.lang.ada,

SPITBOLer extraordinaire,

an effective advocate and amicus at large for free software and the freedom
to program,

and official maintainer of the GNU Ada Compiler GNAT.

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/cs/faculty/dewar
http://www.webcom.com/software/issues/docs-htm/brf-cs.html
http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?SPITBOL
http://www.gnat.com
http://www.adapower.com
http://www.adapower.com/lang/gnat-spitbol.html
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/ada.html
http://www.acm.org/sigada
http://www.adahome.com
http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.html
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Ada
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
http://www.archrecord.com/PROJECTS/DEC99/PEOPLE/TIMESQ.ASP
http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/homes/book.html
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Lovelace.html
http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/tap/ada-lovelace.html
http://www.fourmilab.ch/babbage
http://www.eisenhower.utexas.edu/farewell.htm
http://www.fsf.org

Michael E. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
General Manager LXNY

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY

http://www.lxny.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Using Linux with current Solaris network
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 19:33:42 GMT

Hi
I plan to integrate some linux servers into a solaris network.
where can I find information on doing this, from naming the servers
to allowing access to user accounts.
The main area I need help is on NIS and NFS.
Thanks
Zar

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:10:28 +0000
From: Malcolm Cowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: suid

(Originally hit the wrong reply button. Sorry, Mr Crows.)

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:15:42 -0700, Joe Terry wrote:
> >I am writing a backup script that unloads a database, tars the tables and
> >then copies the tar file to a zip drive.  I want to be able to mount/unmount
> >the zip drive and have different users access the script.  I have tried to
> >set the script up using suid chmod 4755 script, but it does not seem to run
> >in suid mode. I want to create temporary files and mount/unmount the zip
> >drive -- this requires superuser permission.
> >
> >Can anyone tell me what I am doing improperly?
>
> This is a FAQ.  Shell scripts *CANNOT* be SUID under Linux.  There are
> too many security problems.  Use "sudo" instead if you can, or put a
> wrapper around your script:
>
> #include<stdio.h>
> #include<unistd.h>
> int main(int argc, char **argv)
> { setuid(0); system("/path/to/script"); return 0; }
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
> http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
> -----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Better to implement the script in C using exec calls (but not execlp()
or execvp()) than to use a wrapper to call a script (you're still having
to invoke the shell with uid 0 privileges). You can then either mark the
setuid flag on the binary or use sudo to set up access to the script
(sudo, or an equivalent, being the better choice since you get better
granularity of control as well as logging).

system() is a bad choice for setuid programs, as it executes the program
with "/bin/sh -c" and does not check for the existence of the shell
before executing.

--
Malcolm Cowe.
EPSG IS,                        eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Subject: Re: Do Linux ext2 partition need defrag?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 20:35:46 GMT

Who ever said Carfield Yim couldn't write what follows?:
>As title, do I need to defrag it to maintain performance just like
>Windows platform?
>If yes, any defrag software avaliable? I have download one from
>freshmeat but it need a ext2.h file and I don't have it...

It's unlikely that you need to defrag extfs at all. It's quite a clever
filesystem, and attempts to store files in such away as not to splatter them
all over the place, like DOS or Windoze. In fact, I think I've been warned
before specifically NOT to try and use defrag tools under ext2fs. Not sure
about that last. But I don't think there's any special need to defrag under
ext2fs, anyway.

--

Bryan Hoyt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

===================================

        THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #10: SIMPLE

SIMPLE is an acronym for Sheer Idiot's Monopurpose Programming Language
Environment.  This language, developed at the Hanover College for
Technological Misfits, was designed to make it impossible to write code
with errors in it.  The statements are, therefore, confined to BEGIN,
END and STOP.  No matter how you arrange the statements, you can't make
a syntax error.  Programs written in SIMPLE do nothing useful.  Thus
they achieve the results of programs written in other languages without
the tedious, frustrating process of testing and debugging.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Runing WINE without WINDOWS partition
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 20:35:54 GMT

Who ever said [EMAIL PROTECTED] couldn't write what follows?:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:18:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> >I want to run a WINDOWS .EXE program and download and installed WINE
>> >but I do not have a WINDOWS partition.
>> >How i configure WINE to run the .EXE program?
>>
>> This is well documented.  Go to the wine home page (www.winehq.com)
>> and follow the documentation links.
>>
>> -Lee Allen
>>

>I went to that home page but I don't know what does it mean with create
>a empty c:\windows....., directories. I only have a Linux partition and
>how can a create those directories.

Type:
        mkdir Cdrive (or whatever you want to call the directory)
        mkdir Cdrive/windows
        mkdir Cdrive/windows/system

Now look in /etc/wine/wine.conf, and edit the corresponding values in there.
If you need more help, feel free to email me at the below address.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: Cross-Device Link
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 20:51:36 GMT

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 19:02:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I'm trying to link my mounted vfat drive to a directory in
>the /home/httpd/ directory and i'm getting a 'Invalid cross-device
>link' error. I'm pretty sure it's possible to link to another device,
>but the question is how. Any help is appreciated!

You can't create a hard-link that crosses devices, but you _can_
create a softlink that will work.

ln -s source.file destination.file

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Zero Piraeus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with headers [was: Re: gimp-print won't configure]
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 21:00:34 +0000

Hey:

> I just downloaded the gimp-print-4.0.2 and have been trying to
> configure it to compile on my machine PII/350, RH v6.1 kernel
> 2.2.16 128MB RAM).  When I run ./configure it dies with the
> following less-than-helpful message:

[...]

I've just come here with the exact same problem. I'm using RH6.2 and the
2.2.16 kernel - and I think I've discovered what the problem is, but not
how to solve it.

It's to do with this:

> /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:27: linux/limits.h: No such file or
> directory

Here's line 27 of /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:

#include <linux/limits.h>

If it's replaced by this

#include "/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux/limits.h"

the ./configure script runs fine, but then make fails complaining about
a similar "#include <linux/something.h>" line.

So it would seem the compiler's looking in the wrong place for
<linux/something.h> files, yeah? Thing is, I don't know where that's
defined - anyone like to help out?

 -[z].

------------------------------

From: Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem mounting audio cdrom
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 21:05:02 GMT

Whenever I try to mount an audio cdrom I get the following error.

mount /dev/cdrom
or
mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /cdrom

Error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

Any ideas?

Dave Brown

------------------------------

From: Zero Piraeus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't compile gimp-print.-4.0.2
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 21:08:49 +0000

Hey:

> I've been trying to compile gimp-print for my system (RH v6.1,
> kernel 2.2.16) without success.

I just replied to your earlier post under the subject "Problem with
headers [was: Re: gimp-print won't configure]" - it seems that both our
systems are having trouble turning <linux/something.h> into a correct
path.

Can anyone tell us both where this is defined?

 -[z].