From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Emacs! Re: Easy UNIX editor
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.editors
Date: 4 Jan 1999 20:45:31 +0800

In comp.os.linux.misc CSO Visitor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>         This is hardly a "rare instance"!  I spend a good fraction of my vi
> time doing it.  Is there a way to make a vi macro or somesuch to get
> around this problem?

He got a good point. But then he asked for "EASY" Unix editor, not the
most efficient one. The easiest one is emacs. Learn a dozen or two
easy commands and you are ready to do anything. I feel the learning curve
is flatter than for vi (and I used both for years.) Let me explain why.
Emacs has ONE mode. One. No escape / input / last line mode. It is always
in input mode. This is much friendlier to people from Windows world
whose editors are also in one mode always.

When I have to write letters and email and whatnot non-computer, I use emacs.
It is great for spell-checking, justifying and other cool stuff.
When I have to do a lot of editing, I use vi. Like programming. I can move
in the buffer a bit faster and not take my hands off home row.
So I use both every day a lot.
Both have features I like and both have features that I hate.

------------------------------

From: "TEX@go" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: 'login incorrect' problem
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:46:31 -0600

Go in as single at lilo and change or delete the password or words.
then see if you can get in.

--
                The irony is that Bill Gates claimes to making a
                         stable operating system and

                             Michael H. Collins

                       To Get Nowhere, Follow the Crowd.

                           http://www.linuxlink.com

------------------------------

From: "TEX@go" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:49:54 -0600

go in as single and look for a "nologin" file.(I think in /etc) delete
it if there.

if that doesn't go, go in as single and delete the offending passwords.

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2038 and Linux
Date: 04 Jan 1999 23:38:19 -0500

Vince Conaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does Linux have the 2038 bug that will make Unix machines start to go
> nuts around that time?

32 bit versions (such as intel) do, 64 bit versions (such as alpha) i'm
pretty sure don't.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre3    i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: "Kent Hunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gpm mouse problem
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 04:35:52 GMT

I recently installed Red Hat 5.2 and any time I shut down, the systems hangs
on "Terminating gpm mouse services."  Is there any sort of patch available
for this problem?  I plan to reinstall linux soon (to set my partitions the
way I want them), and I wonder if it would be a problem to simply not
install the gpm daemon.  I've never been without it and am not sure how
useful it really is.

Thank you,

Kent Hunter

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Partition Stuff
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:45:09 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Mathers)
spake unto us, saying:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>OS/2's Boot Manager doesn't really have a limit, at least one which is
>>likely to impact a typical user.
>
>The limit is on the number of primary partitions.  Since BM takes up a
>primary for itself, the standard configuration ends up being:
>
>       1) BM
>       2) DOS/Windows
>       3) OS/2 (*)
>       4) Extended
>
>And now you are out of primaries.  What it boils down to as a
>practical matter is that you can only have one "other" OS on a primary.
>So, if you've installed OS/2 on a primary, you can't install another
>version of DOS or Linux on a primary.

Of course, but installing OS/2 on a primary partition is not normally a
recommended configuration (at least if you care about expandability).

I would *always* install it on an HPFS-formatted logical drive.

>(*) Note that this whole issue only arises if you install OS/2 on a
>primary, which is not really a good idea, but is sometimes necessary.

Yup, particularly if you want to use the evil Dual Boot setup (but you
wouldn't be using Boot Manager then <grin>).

>>I've had nine (9) entries on my OS/2 Boot Manager menu before.  :-)
>
>Indeed.  Note that all of this is about the number of primaries on
>each hard disk.  If you have multiple hard disks, then you get 4
>primaries per hard disk.

Yes, and there are further ways to abuse this (the Ranish Partition
Manager apparently dynamically swaps entries in the MBR and lets you
have up to 31 virtual primaries on a single physical drive).

The URL for this (for the curious) is here:

  http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: QMAIL question - Where is my email disappearing to?
Date: 5 Jan 1999 05:05:35 GMT

Help!  Since switching to Qmail from Sendmail (I used Redhat5.0 rpm's),
my email is disappearing into a black hole and I can't find any of them.
They used to go into ~/mail, but I've searched /var/spool and /var/qmail,
etc., and no luck.

I've gone over the qmail site and man pages as much as I could, but
don't see any clear answers as to where Qmail puts incoming mail.
I use Fetchmail to get it from my ISP's pop3 mailserver.

"The Case of the Missing Email" - can anyone solve this mystery??

Thanks,

Chip Rose.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: rpm not working
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:55:51 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Gary Ferrer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>I have the same dammed problem with RH 5.0 (POS).  Even if I ftp a package
>in binary mode, upgrades/installs are only 25% successfull.  I'm sure this
>is a problem with the way RH has packaged the OS.

I've never seen that error message, and I've downloaded and installed
many rpms in RH 4.2, 5.0, and 5.1 on multiple boxes.

There must be another variable involved here.  (??)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                  Klein bottle for rent - inquire within.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: weird file stats result when I untar
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 01:48:54 GMT

When I download packages off the net that are in the tar.gz form (ie, not
in my OS's--Debian--packaging syste)

and untar them as root, I seem to get weird file ownerships, like the lp
group or some other numeric group. Shouldn't a file untar and have the
ownership belong to the person (root) that called untar?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Concentric.net Connection
Date: 04 Jan 1999 21:29:11 PST

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Hogan) writes:
> Can any one using concentric.net as an ISP tell me what the command
> that must be given after "CRCINET 1>" is presented? I am using EZppp.
> This is as close as I've been in two weeks.
>
> Dan Hogan
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Concentric is easy to deal with from Linux and I use
it (from Linux).  You can use either PAP or without it.
Kppp and Ezppp both work great. If you use KPPP,
then using PAP, it takes 1 minute to
set up Concentric from Linux.  Let me know if your
attempt with PAP (using kppp) does not work.

------------------------------

From: Bill Voight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: User Config in RH 5.2 Control Panel
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 07:28:08 -0500

usercfg &

BV

------------------------------

From: "Dave Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Printers for OS/2 and Linux
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:38:32 -0600

If color is the determining factor, then spend some big bucks for a
Postscript color printer.  A more realistic and practical solution is to get
the HP 69x for $200 or less, and take any really serious color work to a
print shop.  The HP does a pretty good job in all three OS's.  It will do a
good enough job for you to determine if it worth further expense, and is a
very well supported and excellent machine.  Color printing can get very
expensive.  It will take experimentation with different papers and settings
to get any of them to realize their fullest potentials. None of the machines
you mention are professional grade.  You will not necessarily get all of the
capabilities out of them because of the drivers used in the different OS's.
Windows is what they are geared for.  If linux is your main concern, the
drivers for HP will do a very credible job in color and black and white.  My
printouts look better using linux than they did in OS/2 or do in Win98.  The
Ghostscript driver is good.  If it is a really professional looking job you
want, print it to a diskette in Postscript and take it to a print shop, a
Kinko's, or whatever.

Dave Nelson
<76rure$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Martin Beier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: creating users
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:33:54 +0100

Martin Schager wrote:

> How do I create mail only users, not real users, so that I can create
> several email addresses for persons who should not be able to log into
> the machine
>         MS

 You can create an ordinary user and modify the /bin/sh (or similar)
command
to /usr/bin/pine (or any other mail client) in its /etc/passwd entry. Be
aware!
This works only with remote connections (telnet, rlogin) and on text
terminals!
If you have graphical login enabled, these users may obtain system access

when logging in at the console!

--
Ok, maddel!
=================

------------------------------

From: Philip Denny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new man pages install
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 12:42:15 +0000

I'm running Slakware 3.1 and can't access any man pages so presume I
didn't install them. I can't find them in any disk sets so I downloaded
the latest from LDP. I now have a tar.gz file and don't know where to
copy it to or unzip it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Subject: Re: Linux OS NOT preemptive multitasking ?
Date: 5 Jan 1999 04:25:04 GMT

Frank Sweetser  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson) writes:
>> Frank Sweetser  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >well, then you've got a real time OS, not a multitasking OS.  and even
>>
>> What, RT is not multitasking????  It better be real-time,
>> multitasking and multiuser if it is switching telephone calls!
>
>hrm... poor phrasing on my part.  RT OS == a superset of a strictly
>multitasking OS.  it fills the same specs as a multitasking OS, and then
>some.

OK, that makes good sense.

>> >then, the RT kernel won't be pre-empted by a task, it simply makes
>> >guarantees about scheduling characteristics that a plain multitasking OS
>> >can't make.
>>
>> The question was can the scheduler be interupted, and the answer
>> is that yes, on an RT system it can.
>
>no, you can still have a non-interruptable scheduler on an RT OS.  there
>simply must be an upper bound on the response time of the OS.

But let me repeat myself... the question was can the scheduler be
interupted, and he answer is still YES it can, on an RT system.
That doesn't mean that no RT system can work in any other way.
It just means that is one known case where a scheduler can be
set up to be interupted.

>> The fact that it isn't an ordinary task directly causing the interupt is
>> not significant.  What does happen is that a task with a higher priority
>> might then be scheduled because of the interupt.  Hence the result is the
>> same, i.e., the higher priority task gains control.
>
>i'm afraid i'm not exactly sure what you're saying here?....

The fact that a user task cannot itself interupt the scheduler
is not significant, because the end result is just as if it had:
the priority task that wants to get the cpu does get it.

>> I'll throw out another thought along that line which is
>> interesting too.  On said RT multitasking system, your console
>> is running in the background!
>
>heck, in that sense, with RT Linux, even the Linux scheduler is running in
>the background <G>

Exactly!

Specifically the example I was thinking of is the OS that
runs Nortel's DMS family of telephone switches (the DMS-100/200 etc
series).  The foreground is call processing, and any task
directly required for that has a higher priority than any
console task.  It has a hardware generated scheduler interupt
that is the highest priority, and what it triggers is the
scheduler action to determine if any priority task needs
to run.

It works rather well.  But RT isn't something I want on my
desktop either.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Mulks)
Subject: Re: gpm mouse problem
Date: 5 Jan 1999 12:45:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>I recently installed Red Hat 5.2 and any time I shut down, the systems hangs
>on "Terminating gpm mouse services."  Is there any sort of patch available
>for this problem?  I plan to reinstall linux soon (to set my partitions the
>way I want them), and I wonder if it would be a problem to simply not
>install the gpm daemon.  I've never been without it and am not sure how
>useful it really is.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Kent Hunter
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I had the same problem. Now, when I reboot, I do the following

ps aux | grep gpm

then kill the process id that shows up