From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:19:34 GMT

On 20 Aug 2000 22:17:27 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>:>That's the one. The ioctl'll error out unless the drive is completely
>:>dismounted at the time. I couldn't guarrantee it for him at his level
>:>of expertise, so I asked him to reboot, which will ensure that every
>:>partition is dismounted.
>
>: I'm not even certain that this is correct. Besides the fact that he was
>
>You should be.

How so? You've thus far only told me two extreme cases whereby the software
could fail to do things properly. I demonstrated how FDISK can/will report
if there exists an error condition. On what do you base your statements?

This is the world of Linux - Microsoft mentality should be checked at the
door. We can't let the MS weenies think we're as weak as them now, can we? :>

>: inserting a virgin disk to his machine. IMNSHO, things should be taught
>
>He was, but I was't going to give him a long list of "don't"s. Don't try
>and make one partition, mke2fs it, mount it, then repeat for the rest,
>for example.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Otherwise, you could have worded it thusly;

Partition your disk the way you want it,
mke2fs all the filesystems,
edit fstab and add all newly created filesystems,
(copy data from old filesystems to temp location),
(unmount old filesystems),
mount new filesystems,
copy data to new filesystems,
continue working as if nothing had happened.

That's how I explain it when asked, except that I use somewhat more lengthy
instructions when I do so.

>: correctly from the beginning, rather than giving people the "cop-out"
>: or "band-aid" solution. Linux really doesn't have to be re-booted except
>
>This isn't a cop-out. If he tries your idea on the same disk as he's
>curretly running on, he'll overwrite most of what he's got.

As I said; he was installing a virgin disk and creating all new filesystems.
It's highly doubtful that he would have put his root filesystem on the disk
before even partitioning it.

>:        to  reboot after the use of fdisk.  I do not think this is
>:        the case anymore - indeed,  rebooting  too  quickly  might
>:        cause  loss  of  not-yet-written  data. Note that both the
>
>Now that is impossible, because reboot will cause an umount, which will
>cause a sync.

"rebooting too quickly". It was old convention in the DOS world to tap
the reset button after partitioning your disk. Atleast, that's how I
always did it.

As I said; two differeing mentalities. He should be taught the Linux way
of doing things right from the start.

>: That shouldn't have been neccesary. FDISK quite nicely warns you if it
>: has trouble calling IOCTL to write to the disk, vis;
>
>It does, but I wasn't going to waste my breath telling him what to do
>in case it says so.

It told me quite clearly what to do in that case. Quote left intact;

>: Reboot your system to ensure the partition table is updated.

Sounds pretty plain to me. :>

>: No damage was done, and my system continues to function without any hiccups.
>
>It's only luck. Changing a partition size and then mke2fs'ing it would
>have resulted in mke2fs using the old partition size and position. That
>might not have been your intention.

He wasn't altering partitions, but instead creating them from scratch. Focus.

I'm not saying your suggestion was neccesarily wrong, just a little overly
cautious. I've performed filesystem maintenance on running servers, so I
know how well Linux can handle filesystem creation/alterations. It's one
of the strengths of Linux - drives can be created and removed without the
connected user(s) ever even seeing a hiccup.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP message Question
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:33:07 +0100

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, alex k wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Default User wrote:
>>
>> >I'm interested in changing the "password" message that appears when
>> >logging in as user "ftp" (anonymous)
>> >it says, "Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as
>> >password."

>>The message is issued by the remote host you're logging into.

>i think he means changing it on his own computer.
>in his own ftpserver.

Oh, sorry. In my Mandrake 7.1 setup, the message is in /lib/pam_ftp.so - I
don't know if it appears anywhere else. I don't know much about ftp under
Linux, but if you're using PAM I guess this is where the message is issued
from. I guess you'll need to dig out the source and recompile it.

--
Garry Knight

From: Michael Meding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 03:37:23 +0200

Michel Catudal schrieb:

> Garry Knight a écrit :
> >
> > On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Jerry L Kreps wrote:
> >
> > >I would call it a scaled up version of RH, since it does RH the way it
> > >should be done and then adds a lot of polish.
> >
> > Surely you mean french... :o)
> >

> It is multilingual. It just fixes the fuck ups of RedHat in that regard while
>maintening
> a similar amount of core dumps that RedHat users are used to.

You do not think that was a joke ? He was refering adding polish like
"polishing something" not adding support for the polish language. I
guess the guy mentioning french did understand it.....

Greetings

Michael

------------------------------

From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lost Hard Drive Space
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:29:30 GMT

I had to remove Mandrake 7.1 (don't worry I'm still a Linux fan and will
be using it in the future) and in doing so I deleted the Non-dos partition
that Mandrake was on through windows fdisk (first mistake).  Well after
running fdisk /mbr I got windows to boot up again and the partition was
gone but now I have seemed to have losted the 1.5Megs that Mandrake used
to install the system.  How do I get this back without doing a full re-
format of my drive??

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How do I get Num Lock on automatically in X?
Date: 20 Aug 2000 21:33:16 -0500

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:45:05 +0200, Fabian Gebhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My distribution (SuSE) turns the led off by default.
>In /etc/rc.config you can set the tty for KBD_NUMLOCK and KBD_CAPSLOCK in
>KBD_TTY. This is tty1-tty6 by default. But X runs in tty7. Perhaps thats why
>numlock is disabled in X.
>
>Try KBD_TTY="tty1 tty2 tty3 tty4 tty5 tty6 tty7"
>or  KBD_TTY="" (for all tty's)

Au contraire.  X does not run in tty7.  X normally runs in tty1 (unless
started in one of the other virtual terminals).  You can "hot-key" back
to the X display using alt-F7, but that doesn't mean that it's
"running in tty7".

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Web Authoring Tools
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:43:51 GMT

Quanta +

Runs on KDE.  I use it.  Take a look at a screen shot of my SuSE distro =

showing Quanta in action.

Http://www.jlkreps.net/public_html/howimadethewebpage.html

JLK

On 8/14/00, 7:17:57 AM, Matthew Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
regarding Web Authoring Tools:

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 20 Aug 2000 21:58:01 -0500

Michael Meding a écrit :

> Michel Catudal schrieb:
> >
> > Garry Knight a écrit :

> > > Surely you mean french... :o)
> > >

> > It is multilingual. It just fixes the fuck ups of RedHat in that regard while
>maintening
> > a similar amount of core dumps that RedHat users are used to.
>
> You do not think that was a joke ? He was refering adding polish like
> "polishing something" not adding support for the polish language. I
> guess the guy mentioning french did understand it.....
>
> Greetings
>
> Michael

Actually the polishing that Mandrake did was to fix the locales which weren't
any good under RedHat. This is the only improvement I have noticed of RedHat.
The so call optimization to 586 doesn't change that much the performance.
Except for the locales which I find excellent I was rather disapointed with
Mandrake and returned to SuSE with no regret. SuSE has it's problems but
Mandrake isn't more stable so I took the best of both.

--
Vous en avez plein l'casse du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

------------------------------

From: Peter Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lost Hard Drive Space
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:52:30 -0700

Lost 1.5 Meg - presumably this is material stored on your
Windows disk. Run Scandisk to recover the space if it is not
taken by still existing files. Presumably all the data you
need to re-install Linux are on the CD, so you can replace
it from there if needed.

Peter

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: "JD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: New user - Problem with menuconfig.
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:11:46 -0600

I am new to linux and want to rebuild the kernal. I am using caldera open
linux 2.2.10. I have installed the kernal source code linux-source-common
and linux-source-i386. When I change to the directory /usr/src/linux-2.2.10
and type "make menuconfig" instead of getting a menu of menuconfig, I get
the message "Make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop". I have
checked the directory of /usr/src/linux and can find no file named
menuconfig, the only file I can find named menuconfig is in
/usr/src.linux/scripts. If I change to that directory and type "make
menuconfig I get the message "Make: Nothing to be done for 'menuconfig'. Can
somebody tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

JD

------------------------------

From: Chris Carbaugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: looking for linux compatible external modem
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:17:56 -0400

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Alexander Milzon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : "Hypnotist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:8nksgk$g2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :> all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
> :> loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
> :> either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if you
> :> have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.  thanks.
>
> : I'm use U.S.Robotics 56K Faxmodem on Slackware 7.0
> : It find the modem itself. Don't need any drivers.
>
> Amazing really, since no non-usb external modem needs any drivers.
> As if this were not the second most well-known fact on planet earth,
> immediately after "to get linux to see more than 64M of memory you
> sometimes have to add append="mem=127M" to lilo.conf and rerun lilo
> ...". Please surprise me some more.
>
> Peter

Was that needed Peter?

If you read the posters question, he specifically asked about drivers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lam)
Subject: Mammoth 2 and Linux
Date: 21 Aug 2000 03:15:10 GMT

Anyone know if I need to specify the tape density or tape length
when using dump on a Mammoth 2 drive in Linux 6.1?

If I do "dump -0u -f /dev/nst0 /usr", dump will estimate that
I need more than 20 tapes for a partition that has less than 900MB.
The tape is supposed to storage 60GB uncompressed.

BTW, thing seems to be fine if I use tar.

TIA

TM Lam
--
** Please remove no.spam. to get the actual email address. **

------------------------------

From: "L. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: New user - Problem with menuconfig.
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:41:55 -0400

Did you run 'make mrproper' first?

JD wrote:
> I am new to linux and want to rebuild the kernal. I am using caldera open
> linux 2.2.10. I have installed the kernal source code linux-source-common
> and linux-source-i386. When I change to the directory /usr/src/linux-2.2.10
> and type "make menuconfig" instead of getting a menu of menuconfig, I get
> the message "Make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop". I have
> checked the directory of /usr/src/linux and can find no file named
> menuconfig, the only file I can find named menuconfig is in
> /usr/src.linux/scripts. If I change to that directory and type "make
> menuconfig I get the message "Make: Nothing to be done for 'menuconfig'. Can
> somebody tell me what I am doing wrong.

L. Friedman                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The alt.os.linux.caldera FAQ:
http://netllama.ipfox.com/COL_FAQ.html
Step-by-step help for COL problems:
http://netllama.ipfox.com/stepbystep.htm

 11:40pm  up  2:00,  0 users,  load average: 0.84, 0.41, 0.22

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help resizing partitions
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:40:38 -0700

I want to expand my /usr partition. I've used the "dump" utility to
backup /usr and /home to a remote system. I am assuming I can restore
/usr and /home with "dump restore".

My plan is to delete the /usr and /home partitions, then recreate
them--with /usr being larger than before, and /home being smaller than
before. I am assuming that I can perform the restore from the command
line--in fact, will have to--since the X Windows files ordinarily
located in /usr and /home will obviously not exist in the new partitions
until they have been restored.

Is there any problem with this plan?

TIA for your comments/suggestions.

--
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal."

                                        --Aristotle

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some weird xterm behaviour!
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:50:44 -0500

On 21 Aug 2000, Thomas Dickey quoth:

~~ Date: 21 Aug 2000 02:07:21 GMT
~~ From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~ > On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Andrew N. McGuire  quoth:
~~ ....
~~ > Another note on this, that is definitely a bug, root on the remote
~~ > system (or anyone with access to your pty) can cat a binary to your
~~ > pts, making your machine print. :-(
~~
~~ indeed.  in fact, they can do other amazing things such as move your
~~ cursor around the screen, and clear the screen....
~~
~~ (it's also trivial for 'root' to simply reset your terminal and log you
~~ off ;-)

No kidding, still, catting a binary on a remote machine should not
make your localhost print!  Or do you disagree?  You don't think it
would be a little bit evil, albeit funny, if while you left yourself
logged into a remote host, the sysadmin of that machine (or anyone
with access to your tty) started wasting trees in your office? To
me that is a bug, not a feature.

Regards,

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:55:21 -0500

On 21 Aug 2000, Thomas Dickey quoth:

~~ Date: 21 Aug 2000 02:07:21 GMT
~~ From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~ > On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Andrew N. McGuire  quoth:
~~ ....
~~ > Another note on this, that is definitely a bug, root on the remote
~~ > system (or anyone with access to your pty) can cat a binary to your
~~ > pts, making your machine print. :-(
~~
~~ indeed.  in fact, they can do other amazing things such as move your
~~ cursor around the screen, and clear the screen....
~~
~~ (it's also trivial for 'root' to simply reset your terminal and log you
~~ off ;-)

Sorry for the dual replies... But one more thing, try it with a
different terminal emulator such as rxvt or a derivative such as
aterm or wterm.  It does not happen with those, just xterm.