Linux-Misc Digest #567, Volume #25               Sat, 26 Aug 00 08:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Monitor ip masq? (John Hovell)
  Re: internet connection ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: Reading vi files in windows (Jeff Davis)
  How can I get/set maximum number of processes on RH6.0 (plus some other stuff.
("Fraser Adams")
  Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
  please help me get sound (John Lunney)
  How to edit menus? (John Lunney)
  RE: shutdown command for a single user ("Sinectis News")
  Domino Server as a Mail client ("Sinectis News")
  Re: Help for newbie stuck with linux boot floppy ("TongEng Chiah")
  Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows (Ian Pulsford)
  Re: Heretic2 on Linux. (Nicholas Kelleher)
  Re: RXVT: How to make its marking work with XClipboard (like XTERM does) ? (Sven
Mascheck)
  Re: NEWBIE-Shell scripting - When to use script variable vs. create tmp file??? (Ken
Pizzini)
  Re: Monitor ip masq? ("Jan Lucas")
  Re: rage 128 problems (was: deleting a Linux partition from DOS) ("higgy")
  libhnj substrings.pl (Robin Becker)
  Re: SCSI compatibilty (Robert Schweikert)
  Re: aic7xxx scsi drivers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: John Hovell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Monitor ip masq?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 07:10:38 GMT

Devon --

Well, this can be done with IPChains... the "-l" option will log all
packets.  So, if you are interested in logging packets to from your network
to port 80, I would try:

/sbin/ipchains -N weblog
/sbin/ipchains -I forward 1 -j weblog
/sbin/ipchains -A weblog -s $internal_net --dport 80 -j RETURN -l
/sbin/ipchains -A weblog -s $internal_net --dport 443 -j RETURN -l # for
https

This will output to kernel logs.  Unfortunately it doens't resolve names or
make stuff very pretty, but many frontends for ipchains logs can be found
on the 'Net and many of them even email the output to you in pretty colored
HTML tables.

I use logcheck but it blows.  Look for something better at freshmeat.net or
your favorite Linux software site.

Of course, getting a proxy might serve this better, as this will (as your
question requested) give web *sites* but not URLs or content details.  This
would be easier to do using a proxy, which is made for many reasons
including this.  Or, maybe tcpdump could be used in conjunction with perl
-- a do-it-yourself job, to give you nice URLs and maybe even link to
IPchains to do content filtering.

There's probably software out there that already does this though.

Cheers,
John

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: internet connection
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 02:18:25 -0500

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Akira Yamanita quoth:

~~ Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:58:04 GMT
~~ From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ roger wrote:
~~ >
~~ > i can connect to my isp and the connection remains, but i cannot get my
~~ > netscape browser to work. So I cannot surf or communicate.
~~ >
~~ > can anyone help
~~ >
~~ > thanks roger
~~
~~ Chances are that you haven't configured DNS properly or at all.
~~ Can you do something like "nslookup redhat.com"? If not, that's
~~ the cuprit. Without knowing what errors you're getting, I can only
~~ guess.
~~
~~ In /etc/resolv.conf, you need to add the IP addresses of your ISP's
~~ DNS servers.
~~
~~ example:
~~ nameserver 10.0.0.1
~~ nameserver 10.0.0.2
~~

You may also want to add a 'domain' (or 'search') line:

domain my.isp.com

Where my.isp.com is replaced with your ISP's domain.
Also check that the 'hosts' line in /etc/nsswitch.conf
defines 'dns', not just 'files':

hosts: files dns

Regards,

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: Jeff Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reading vi files in windows
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 07:38:34 GMT

It sounds like this is not an issue with vi, but rather with the newline
character for UNIX and DOS. If you write a file in linux it will be written
with the newlines in UNIX format, then when you open them in windows the
newlines will be DOS style. Look for a converter (freshmeat.net, search for
linebreak), or write one yourself (perl or C would both be pretty quick). To
find out the newline char, use a hex editor.

Hope it helps,
Jeff Davis

------------------------------

From: "Fraser Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: How can I get/set maximum number of processes on RH6.0 (plus some other stuff.
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:11:53 +0100

Hello all,
 Can anyone tell me how to find out the maximum number of processes
supported on RH6.0. I wrote a little program that madly creates threads
(just to see) and ran top. My program seems to stop creating when top reads
301 processes.

Is there a place where I can read (preferably from withing a program) the
process limit. I've looked through limits.h etc and although I can find a
pthread limit of 1024 (In limits_local or something similar) I can't find a
process limit (which in Linux threads I guess should be the same). I'd like
to be able to increase the limit if possible too (unless this is a BAD
idea - to many processes wasting time and all that).

Secondly is there a similar place to find info on the maximum number of open
file descriptors (and connected sockets if the number is different than the
fd number).

The reason for these questions is that I'm writing an application that is
required to support *LOTS* of simultaneous connections (probably greater
that 256 in and 256 out). Of course one standard way to support many
connections is to create a new thread per connection, problem is that this
starts to go a bit pear shaped when the numbers get big.

I'd like to use a thread pool, but they only seem good if you want to limit
the number of connections (say by running accept in the body of *n* threads
where *n* is the max number of connections). The only other option I can see
is to use non-blocking IO and select, which I'd rather not do if possible
(it's not that I don't know how to more the case that I'd like to figure the
problem out using threads first).

Finally (yeah I know that I've gone a bit off the original heading :-) )
does anyone know if there is any info available relating to the relative
costs of various glibc functions and their thread-safe equivalents -
allocating memory seems to be the worst culprit (unsurprisingly) but I'd
kind of like to know so that I can pre-allocate and pre-whatever if posible
to minimise the real run-time overheads of using threads.

Thanks in advance for any answers to the above.

Best regards to all, Fraser.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 01:07:45 -0700

Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Who's me?  The casual web browser, the company vice president, the
> programmer?
> Answer: nothing unless you know what the hell it is.
> If two companies wanted to share the data then they would agree on a
> method of encryption.  If someone wanted to share it with the whole world
> then they would make it nice simple english (swahili whatever).

If a software developer wanted the files generated by their programs to be
useless to anything but their own brand of software, using the XML file
format to save the data won't help make the data useful to any competing
software.  Some may say at least the file is stored in a standard format,
but experience proves that if you can not interpret the data, the format is
useless anyway.  Some say at least you can still parse it, but experience
still proves that the data is useless if you can not interpret it.  Since
this format does have an overhead that consumes real resources, you not only
not gain anything by an non-portable XML file, you in fact lose resources.
In the business world this would add up to real money lost.

One of the most foolish claims in this thread was the one that XML make Mac
OS X bundles so great.  XML provides nothing in that situation it is simply
the data format the Apple seletect to use.  Just about any other format
could have done the job as well, it is the algorithms and the packing of the
bundles and the data stored about the bundles that make the difference.
Does anyone seriously believe that if Apple had chosen another data format
instead of XML, that it would have made any difference is the functionality
of the bundles?

Would using XML formatted data make RPM or DEB packages any better or worse?
In a word, NO.

It seems that too many people are so worked up about the XML format that
they are crediting it with magical properties.

------------------------------

From: John Lunney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: please help me get sound
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 08:29:18 GMT

Hi guys,
I use Debian. I have a Vibra 16. How do I get sound into the kernel?
John

------------------------------

From: John Lunney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to edit menus?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 08:30:03 GMT

How do I edit menus for say Gnome menu?
John

------------------------------

From: "Sinectis News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: shutdown command for a single user
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:38:39 -0300

Try this

Add a user called shut or something you like, and then change the default
shell, usually .../bash to the shutdown command with the option you need.
When the user login onto the system automatically run the shutdown command,
close his session and powerof the system...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Sinectis News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Domino Server as a Mail client
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:55:25 -0300

Hi:
    I have a Mandrake 7.0 System, and I´ve the Lotus Domino Server 5.0 for
Linux, is this Server configurable for use as a mail client?. Thank...

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 16:43:39 +0800
From: "TongEng Chiah" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help for newbie stuck with linux boot floppy

i think ur hardisk is bigger than 8.4Mb, and linux may have problem
accessing beyond 1024 cylinders.

to solve the problem, boot up using ur floppy
    edit the file /etc/lilo.conf

there should be a option linear in the file, change it to lba32
if not, just added lba32 in
after that, do a
    /sbin/lilo

reboot after that.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:27:47 +1000
From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Who's me?  The casual web browser, the company vice president, the
> > programmer?
> > Answer: nothing unless you know what the hell it is.
> > If two companies wanted to share the data then they would agree on a
> > method of encryption.  If someone wanted to share it with the whole world
> > then they would make it nice simple english (swahili whatever).
>
> If a software developer wanted the files generated by their programs to be
> useless to anything but their own brand of software, using the XML file
> format to save the data won't help make the data useful to any competing
> software.

That tends to be the aim of competing commercial proprietary systems anyway.

> Some may say at least the file is stored in a standard format,
> but experience proves that if you can not interpret the data, the format is
> useless anyway.  Some say at least you can still parse it, but experience
> still proves that the data is useless if you can not interpret it.  Since
> this format does have an overhead that consumes real resources, you not only
> not gain anything by an non-portable XML file, you in fact lose resources.
> In the business world this would add up to real money lost.

I suspect it's all part of webifying data, the road to XHTML.

> One of the most foolish claims in this thread was the one that XML make Mac
> OS X bundles so great.  XML provides nothing in that situation it is simply
> the data format the Apple seletect to use.  Just about any other format
> could have done the job as well, it is the algorithms and the packing of the
> bundles and the data stored about the bundles that make the difference.
> Does anyone seriously believe that if Apple had chosen another data format
> instead of XML, that it would have made any difference is the functionality
> of the bundles?

> Would using XML formatted data make RPM or DEB packages any better or worse?
> In a word, NO.

I agree with you XML should stick to database type info and leave binary type
info to another format.

> It seems that too many people are so worked up about the XML format that
> they are crediting it with magical properties.

Yeh, there seems to be a lot of hype.  I guess it's the new toy syndrome.

IanP

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 05:34:57 -0400
From: Nicholas Kelleher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Heretic2 on Linux.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ihave the original Window$ Heretic2 CD and the Linux Heretic2 Demo.
> Is there any way to make the Linux Demo work as the complete Heretic2
> version, adding the data files from the Win version ?? The demo runs
> pretty well under Linux, 3D acelerated :)
>
> Thank you very much for any hint.
>
> Please answer to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> bye.

I kind of doubt it. Loki is a money grubbing company intent on
monopolizing linux game distribution. their excuse is that they want to
get a grasp on the linux gaming market. but if you ask me, it's pure
profit motive. Bastards.

------------------------------

From: Sven Mascheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RXVT: How to make its marking work with XClipboard (like XTERM does) ?
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 26 Aug 2000 12:10:44 +0200

In comp.os.linux.x Kenny McCormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > [xterm]
 > *VT100*translations:    #override \
 >         <BtnUp>:select-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0, CLIPBOARD) \n\
 > However, it doesn't seem to do the trick for RXVT.

Because rxvt doesn't link libXt (for reaosns of speed and size),
which provides sophisticated event-to-action mapping like this.
Perhaps modify the source ;)

f'up limited
Sven

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Pizzini)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: NEWBIE-Shell scripting - When to use script variable vs. create tmp
file???
Date: 26 Aug 2000 10:10:53 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:20:07 GMT, -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I not an expert by any sense of the word but this can be solved by
>using the "PID of the current process", reserved shell variable $$.
>Each process is unique.

... provided that you are working on a disk that is not shared.
Things like NFS screw up the "$$ is unique among running
processes" assumption.

                --Ken Pizzini

------------------------------

From: "Jan Lucas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:42:15 +0200

> How can I monitor IP Masq. traffic, such as which web site each user is
> going to?
if you want i a way to monitor the web traffic with smaller more readable
logs than you should try to install squid as an transparent proxy. it has
logging and access controll functions especially for http. And when you use
it as an transparent proxy, your clients will not know that they connect
over an proxy and must not change any proxy options.

                                                                        Jan

------------------------------

From: "higgy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rage 128 problems (was: deleting a Linux partition from DOS)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 11:08:59 +0100

"Dances With Crows" wrote:

> Have you checked this?
>   http://xfree86.org/3.3.6/r1285.html
> I've heard tell of people getting problematic Rage128 cards to work with
> a particular ChipID setting.  Go to http://deja.com/home_ps.shtml and
> search comp.os.linux.hardware for "Rage 128" and see what you can find.
> It's probably nothing too serious.

OK, thanks. I'll try that.

Dave.

------------------------------

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: libhnj substrings.pl
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:02:36 +0100

I'm trying to modify the hyphenation dictionary used by libhnj, but lack
a perl script called substrings.pl; anyone had any success at modifying
the dictionaries? I emailed Raph Levien, but got no reply so far.
--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: Robert Schweikert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI compatibilty
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 07:08:57 -0400

Check out the hardware howto

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Hardware-HOWTO.html

If it's not on the list check the Adaptec web site, they might have a
driver.

Have fin.
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         LINUX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: aic7xxx scsi drivers
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 11:06:35 GMT

In article <8o63u4$quv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Write (6) 00 00 4b 02
> 00
> Aug 16 02:11:47 ras kernel: aic7xxx: (abort) Aborting scb 1, TCL
> 0/0/0
> Aug 16 02:11:52 ras kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 75027,
> scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Write (6) 00 80 5d 24
> 00

Is the tapedrive located at id:0 ?
If not you might want to check cables, termination, etc.
Check so that you don't terminate the bus on a device in the
middle of the chain, e.g. harddrive or cd-rom.

> Adapter Configuration:
>           SCSI Adapter: AIC-7850 Ultra
>                         (AIC-785x chipset)
>               Host Bus: Single
>                Base IO: 0xfc00
>                    IRQ: 9
>                   SCBs: Used 3, HW 3, Page 3
>             Interrupts: 443501
>          Serial EEPROM: True
>   Extended Translation: Enabled
>         SCSI Bus Reset: Enabled
>             Ultra SCSI: Disabled
>      Target Disconnect: Disabled

I would suggest that you enable Target Disconnect on the tape-drive's
scsi id. I don't know if that is possible on the 7850 controller but
its possible on the 7860 so it should.
Disconnect needs to be set on slower devices such as tape-drives so
that the controller can tend to other requests from e.g. harddrives.
If this is not set the controller stay's connected to the tape-drive
until the tape-drive is finished.
The reason for this is that only two devices can talk on the scsi-bus
at the same time and one is always the controller.

/Fredrik