Linux-Misc Digest #567, Volume #26               Sun, 17 Dec 00 16:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Swap File Size ("Buck Turgidson")
  KDE Konsole (Richard Kimber)
  Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ? (Arnstein Oseland)
  Re: Swap File Size (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: help on com, ports, IRQs? (fred smith)
  Re: I don't understand my password encoding (Matthias Suencksen)
  Re: Swap File Size (Georg Schneider)
  Re: Shell Calculator (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Luis_Domingo_L=F3pez?=)
  Partition question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Apache forward to MASQ machines ??? ("Spider")
  Re: Partition question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Swap File Size ("Buck Turgidson")
  How to check free disk space ("Dan Smith")
  Re: Mandrake 7.2 error (new install) (Don Hinds)
  Re: Mandrake 7.2 error (new install) (Don Hinds)
  Re: Shell Calculator (Rod Haper)
  Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ? (Bill Unruh)
  Re: How to check free disk space (Jan Schaumann)
  Can you install Corel 2 over Mandrake 7.2 ? (Don Hinds)
  Re: shell script question (Manitee)
  Re: Partition question (Georg Schneider)
  ELF and Motif ("Jack Kaufmann")
  Re: 32-Bit PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter ("lobotomy")
  Re: Find? really? ("Garry Knight")

From: "Buck Turgidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Swap File Size
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:39:16 GMT

I am wondering if there is any swap space allocated on the box I am installing Oracle
onto.  If there isn't can I add some by taking
away from other filesytems, or do I have to re-install the OS?

[/etc] $cat fstab
/dev/hda5               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto,owner    0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

[/etc] $free
Mem:         79348      71004       8344       5864       2156      11824
-/+ buffers/cache:      57024      22324
Swap:            0          0          0

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE Konsole
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:00:09 +0000

I'm running Mandrake 7.2, with KDE2 (allegedly)

When I use konsole, and start a root console I get an error message saying
that
Font '-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-iso10646-1' not
found
Check README.linux.console

No such file exists on my system, and a web search for it gave a page that
referred to fonts but didn't provide a solution.

Any idea how I can overcome this?

I should have thought that by the time something gets to version 2.0 this
sort of problem should have been ironed out.

- Richard.

------------------------------

From: Arnstein Oseland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:06:19 GMT

Probably not, if you don't give some more information. What printer do
you have, how did you configure the printer, what commands do you use
when you try to print postscript, and what happens when you issue those
commands?

- Arnstein

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Swap File Size
Date: 17 Dec 2000 19:21:02 +0100

"Buck Turgidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am wondering if there is any swap space allocated on the box I am
> installing Oracle onto.

No, there does not seem to be. Or at least is not in use. Maybe the
original installator made a swap partition but forgot to activate
it. Check with fdisk if any partition is marked as Linux swap. E.g. on
the machine I'm using now:

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1247 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1        13    104391   83  Linux native
/dev/hda2            14        26    104422+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3            27      1247   9807682+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5            27        65    313236   83  Linux native
/dev/hda6            66       196   1052226   83  Linux native
/dev/hda7           197       327   1052226   83  Linux native
/dev/hda8           328      1247   7389868+  83  Linux native

If it's there, add an appropriate line in /etc/fstab.

> If there isn't can I add some by taking
> away from other filesytems, or do I have to re-install the OS?

Without doing anything, you can create a swap FILE rather than
PARTITION. See man mkswap for how to make a swap file.
In the long run I think performance will be better if you have a
dedicated partition. You can resize your partitions, without
reinstalling, with parted (see freshmeat.net).

If you have more than one disk, performance will improve with one swap
partition on each disk.

--
Stefano - Hodie decimo sexto Kalendas Ianuarias MMI est

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help on com, ports, IRQs?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 04:28:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: OK, I have installed Radhat 6.2 on my P-120 (debian's gone because lynx
: would not work on it). SO now  do appear to have some primitive X
: windows stuff that comes up when I type "startx" from the root.

: But I have no mouse, and that makes it very hard. I try to configure
: the mouse from the command line with "/usr/sbin/mouseconfig" and the
: command does work in that a window comes and ask me to choose a mouse
: (I have tried a number of names, Microsoft compatible, etc) but I have
: a problem with the com nunber: I don't know where any of my hardware
: is, i.e., what COM number it is in, or what IRQ; same thing goes for
: the modem, when I try to configure it: what COM number is it? THe
: comptuer has to tell me what COM number it is, right? How do I make teh
: computer tell me what COM number the mouse and modem is in?
: Or do I arbitrarily choose what COM number each one gets?
: That doesn't seem to be working...

RH 6.2, as I recall, attempts to auto-detect your mouse during its
installation. If it can't find one it'll probably ask you for details.
Does what you're saying above imply that it asked you?

If it asks you, you need to know which port you plugged your mouse into.
I'd also assume you'd know where you modem is connected, unless it's an
internal modem (in which case you need to know how it is configured), or
even worse one of those useless win(lose)modems.

If you mouse is plugged into what Dos/windoze calls COM1, then tell
Linux it is on /dev/ttyS0. If COM2, then /dev/ttyS1, and so forth.

The same for your modem. Unless it's (as I said above) one of those
worthless LOSEmodems.

 .----    Fred Smith    /
( /__  ,__.   __   __ /  __   : /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/    /  (__ (___ (__(_ (___ / :__                                 781-438-5471
================================ Jude 1:24,25 =================================

------------------------------

From: Matthias Suencksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I don't understand my password encoding
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:48:56 +0100

Villy Kruse wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2000 02:41:09 GMT, Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >The only place I have seen it is as a module to pam. I have not seen it
> >as a standalone subroutine, like you can for crypt(3).
>
> The crypt that comes with glibc2 understands the MD5 style passwords, if
> you give it the right salt.  The salt is $1$saltvalue$hashed-stuff.
> That is, if the salt value starts with $!$ crypt will take the following
> bytes until the next $ sign as the salt value and build a crypted password.

They should have named it "md5salted" passwords instead of "md5 passwords" -
it's a bit misleading.

For anybody interested I came upon the following code showing how this
"md5 salt" is generated (see below).

Matthias

--snip from pam_ldap.c --

       case PASSWORD_MD5:
          {
            md5_state_t state;
            md5_byte_t digest[16];
            struct timeval tv;
            int i;

            md5_init (&state);
            gettimeofday (&tv, NULL);
            md5_append (&state, (unsigned char *) &tv, sizeof (tv));
            i = getpid ();
            md5_append (&state, (unsigned char *) &i, sizeof (i));
            i = clock ();
            md5_append (&state, (unsigned char *) &i, sizeof (i));
            md5_append (&state, (unsigned char *) saltbuf, sizeof (saltbuf));
            md5_finish (&state, digest);

            strcpy (saltbuf, "$1$");
            for (i = 0; i < 8; i++)
              saltbuf[i + 3] = i64c (digest[i] & 0x3f);

            saltbuf[i + 3] = '\0';
            break;
          }
        }

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:04:46 +0100
From: Georg Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Buck Turgidson schrieb:

> I am wondering if there is any swap space allocated on the box I am installing
>Oracle onto.  If there isn't can I add some by taking
> away from other filesytems, or do I have to re-install the OS?
>
> [/etc] $cat fstab
> /dev/hda5               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
> /dev/hda1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto,owner    0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
>
> [/etc] $free
> Mem:         79348      71004       8344       5864       2156      11824
> -/+ buffers/cache:      57024      22324
> Swap:            0          0          0

Swapon (man swapon(8))
I have seen my swap-partition on my fileserver wasn't activated so I've done (looks
like yours)
"/sbin/swapon  /dev/hd(x)(y)"
now it's activated :-) (without any reboot or reinstall)
greetings

Georg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Luis_Domingo_L=F3pez?=)
Subject: Re: Shell Calculator
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:09:07 +0000

El día Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:36:53 GMT,
Gregor Horvath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a calculator for Linux (Suse 6.3) for the shell available ? (no
> X)
>
> Example:
>
> root@I$ calc 10*2
> = 20
> root@I$ _
>

> Greg
Try bc -l. You will be put in interactive mode, with the usual notation,
as the one shown in your article. You can even have a predefined bash
function to ease things (from Debian Potato):

calcula () {
    echo $* | bc -l
}

Just execute "calcula 2*5" and you'll get the result in stdout.

--
José Luis Domingo López
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian GNU/Linux Potato (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org  => ¿ Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT   org  => Spam at your own risk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Partition question
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:41:27 GMT

Hello...I am new to Linux and am trying to figure out which partitions
are identified by which names.  I have three hard drives and 10
partitions and I can't keep them straight in Linux.  Is there a command
or program that will list all of the HD partitions that are available
even if they are not mounted?

Thanks,
Matthew

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Spider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Apache forward to MASQ machines ???
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:59:30 GMT

"Rick Goh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello,
> I am facing a crisis. Please read on...
>
> I am a running a Linux server which is connected to internet. I am hosting
> some websites. However some sites need to run a few application servers
> which linux do not support. Linux server running APACHE. MASQ Machines
> running win2k with IIS.
>
> I have:
> A Linux server --> SWITCH --> MASQ Machines
>
> What i want (the domain names are just examples):
> 1.    www.sql123.com runs on MYSQL with PHP. -->  hosted on linux server
> 2.    www.coldfusion123.com runs on coldfusion for win2k with MYSQL. -->
> hosted on win2k MASQ machine.
>
> Is it possible for APACHE on Linux server forward TCP requests to win2k
MASQ
> machine if user types in www.coldfusion123.com, and serves requests if
user
> types in www.sql123.com ???
>
> I know that APACHE supports virtual hosting in which different sites are
> pointed to different directories on linux. But can it point to the IP of
the
> MASQ machines??
>

> Regards,
> Rick Goh.

I don't think virtual hosting will work Because doc root would be on a
different box
The proxy mod for apache maybe??
Is the apps server for use by just your users/clients? if so could you do
something with port forwarding like:

                 (port80) |----------------www.sql123.com (running on port
80)
[Internet]-----[Linux Box]
           (port 5080)  |----------------www.coldfusion123.com (running on
port 80)

In this scenario The url's would be www.sql123.com & www.coldfusion.com:5080
you would then set up the linux box to forward port 80 to sql123.com(port
80) & 5080 to coldfusion.com(port 80)
Just an Idea (and probably a bad one but its a shot) :-0
Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Partition question
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:15:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Hello...I am new to Linux and am trying to figure out which partitions
> are identified by which names.  I have three hard drives and 10
> partitions and I can't keep them straight in Linux.  Is there a command
> or program that will list all of the HD partitions that are available
> even if they are not mounted?

Start with the "mount" command;
$ mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda10 on /usr type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /tmp type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /opt type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda8 on /var type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda9 on /brownes/chvatal/home type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda11 on /brownes/chvatal/local type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /brownes/chvatal/debianstuff type reiserfs (rw)
knuth:/etc/cfengine/master on /brownes/knuth/cfengine type nfs (rw,addr=192.168.1.5)
knuth:/var/spool/news on /var/spool/news type nfs (rw,addr=192.168.1.5)
knuth:/var/lib/news on /var/lib/news type nfs (rw,addr=192.168.1.5)
knuth:/brownes/knuth/debianstuff on /brownes/knuth/debianstuff type nfs
(rw,addr=192.168.1.5)
knuth:/brownes/knuth/home on /brownes/knuth/home type nfs (rw,addr=192.168.1.5)
knuth:/brownes/knuth/local on /brownes/knuth/local type nfs (rw,addr=192.168.1.5)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (ro)

Combine that with:
# fdisk -l /dev/hda
# fdisk -l /dev/hdb
# fdisk -l /dev/hdc

Where "-l" _lists_ the partition tables for the respective drives, and
this should provide you with a way of getting at the information
you're looking for.  Of course, you should See Also /etc/fstab

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>

------------------------------

From: "Buck Turgidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:18:42 GMT

Thanks.  The fdisk revealed the partition, and I added it to fstab, and am up and
running.  I don't know why it wasn't in fstab to
begin with.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Dan Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to check free disk space
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:52:59 GMT

Can someone tell me an easy way to check how much free space there is,
without installing KDE or GNOME just for the kdf or gtop.  I run a shell
server and I don't want to have KDE installed for no reason.. How can I
check how much free disk space there is on a mounted volume?

Also, what's the deal with xxxx/yyyyyy files on fsck?  Is there a limit to
how many files a system can hold, independent of the file sizes?

Thanks!

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 error (new install)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Hinds)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:21:35 GMT

I'm 99% sure is the memory, 8M video shared form 64M system. So Linux
kernel isn't keeping ram straight.

I cannot boot in text mode at all.  I get this  error sequence

Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic .....
In swapper - not syncing

and it stops booting right there.

                Don

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Hinds)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:22:36 GMT

>Are you saying it does not run in non-GUI mode?

Yep I get  I get this  error sequence

From: Rod Haper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:10:49 GMT

Well, you have your standard Unix bc.  Read the man page for bc.  It's extremely
powerfull and versatile.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: 17 Dec 2000 20:30:16 GMT

In <91il8n$280v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Emmanuel Beranger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>While gs is installed, and I can print ASCII
>Am I missing something ?
How can anyone know? You have given close to zero information here. --
What OS, how you set up printing, etc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Subject: Re: How to check free disk space
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:31:41 GMT

* Dan Smith wrote:
> Can someone tell me an easy way to check how much free space there is,
> without installing KDE or GNOME just for the kdf or gtop.  I run a shell
> server and I don't want to have KDE installed for no reason.. How can I
> check how much free disk space there is on a mounted volume?

man df
man du

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

   If something is so complicated that you can't explain it in 10 seconds, then
it's probably not worth knowing anyway.  -- Calvin

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Can you install Corel 2 over Mandrake 7.2 ?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Hinds)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:35:45 GMT

I've installed MAndrake 7.2 but so far cannot get it to work with my AMD K6
3D processor (shares video RAM with the system).

If Mandrake doesn't have an anwers, can I install Corel over Mandrake or do I
have to remove Mandrake first?  (assuming Corel supports my CPU).

 thanks
       Don

From: Manitee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: shell script question
Date: 17 Dec 2000 12:38:49 PDT

Thomas Thyberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Manitee  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> What is the advantage of the 'exec' part?

> No forking -> saving one process -> tiny decrease in execution time.

Is there any downside to using 'exec'?

--
Best Regards,

Manitee

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:55:02 +0100
From: Georg Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:

> Hello...I am new to Linux and am trying to figure out which partitions
> are identified by which names.  I have three hard drives and 10
> partitions and I can't keep them straight in Linux.  Is there a command
> or program that will list all of the HD partitions that are available
> even if they are not mounted?
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

I hope I've understood it.
In Linux you don't see the partitions like in a Windows System like
Drive c: d: .....

But with any textviewer you can see the partitins you use in linux
you see it in the file /etc/fstab including the mountpoints.
looks like so :

/dev/sda3                      /                           ext2
defaults        1 1
/dev/sda1                   /boot                   ext2
defaults        1 2
.
.
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom            iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1            /mnt/cdrom1          iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                    /mnt/floppy             auto
noauto,owner    0 0
none                          /proc                          proc
defaults        0 0
none                          /dev/pts                    devpts
gid=5,mode=620  0 0

it dosn't matter if a partition is mounted
and if you want to see the whole partitiontable (but you won't see the
mountpoints) use
/sbin/fdisk  /dev/hd(x) (for (E)IDE-Devices)  or  /dev/(sd(x) (for
SCSI-Devices)
first harddisk at example /dev/hda second harddisk /dev/hdb,
but be careful using fdisk

------------------------------

From: "Jack Kaufmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ELF and Motif
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:04:52 GMT

The site for a program I wanted to download told me that I must have ELF and
preferably should have Motif.  Can anyone tell me anything about these?

From: "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 32-Bit PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:06:16 GMT

You're going to need to find out what chipset your card uses.  Most of
the common PCI 10/100 chipsets (3com, Intel, DEC Tulip, Realtek, and
quite a few others) are supported by linux.  Since you are using RedHat
5.2, you might need to get a current kernel, or download and compile the
latest version of the relevant driver, to get support for some of these (The
latest Linksys tulip clones, for instance).  You can find the source to
most of the network drivers at http://www.scyld.com/network/.

In article <91ii0e$oek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i've got the 32-Bit PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter for the cable modem for my
> pc.
>
> the driver has been installed to Win98 sys. and runs ok to connect to
> internet.
>
> now, i'd like to install the driver into the redhat 5.2 system.  can
> any1 pls help??  where should i get it configured???
>
> tx in advance.
>
> chilli

PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =
Fugutech = Hi Sing = Houston = Hsing Tech = H Tech = Matsonic = Minstaple =
PCWare = Pine = Protac = QDI = Warpspeed

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Find? really?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:07:09 +0000

In article <3a3bb76b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Robert Heller"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   In a message on Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:50:10 +0000, wrote :
>
> "K> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "MH"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
> "K>
> "K> > Can someone please explain why the following command does NOT
> locate
> "K> > the files specified on the local filesystem?
> "K> >
> "K> > find / -xdev -name *.txt
> "K>
> "K> It works for me using Mandrake 7.2 (GNU find version 4.1). Maybe
> it's
> "K> just the version that came with your distro. Try it again as:
> "K>   find / -xdev -name *.txt -print
>
> You need to quote the wild-card to prevent the shell from expanding
> it.  My *guess* is that "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> has no files
> matching  *.txt in his current working directory and that "Garry
> Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> does

[garry garry]$ls *.txt
ls: *.txt: No such file or directory

Actually, I don't. I was running the above command from my home
directory and it was throwing up the following:

/etc/squid/mib.txt
/usr/share/doc/msec-0.15/security.txt
/usr/share/doc/freetype-1.3.1/docs/apiref.txt
/usr/share/doc/freetype-1.3.1/docs/apirefx.txt
/usr/share/doc/freetype-1.3.1/docs/bitmaps.txt

along with a whole lot more files. It works just the way Bob Hauck
says: if the * isn't expanded, it's passed on to the find command.

--
Garry Knight