On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:52:10PM +0000, Edenyard wrote:

> Here are the results:
>
> First method - in this, I attempt to drive the COM port directly. This
> results in an error message which says that there's a conflict between
> COM1 and std port i/o.
>
> The relevant lines from dosemu.conf are:
>
>       $_com1 = "/dev/ttyS0 irq 4"
>       $_ports = " fast range 0x3f8,0x3ff"
>
> What happens when I run my DOS prog is that the RTS signal appears to be
> perfectly timed to the data coming out of the TX pin on the serial port
> connector. Unfortunately (probably because of the port conflict?) I
> can't read any data coming back into the serial connector.

Urm, sounds like you need to enable irqpassing for that port, unless you
are strictly doing polling I/O.  First use setserial to disable Linux's
use of the port though.

> Running DOSEMU in this second method, it takes roughly 20 MICROSECONDS
> to send a character!! Is this because DOSEMU is emulating the hardware -
> is that the correct term for it?

I have noticed rather slow port I/O under dosemu too.  I cannot explain
it yet.

> The problem in (B) seems to be that all of my transmitted characters
> disappear into a sort of 'virtual' UART to be transmitted later, whilst
> the RTS signal seems to come out of the port in 'real' time.

I don't think that is happening. i.e. in,out instructions are directly
executed, there is no emulation involved.

--
Ryan Underwood, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>