Mike Ricketts wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Philips wrote:
>
> > > then i suggest one uses a 2.4.xx-pre
> > > kernel or whatever.
> >       You are wrong.
> >       2.4.* is quite stable on many boxes.
> Er.  Nobody said it wasn't.  The comments related purely to the 2.4.*-pre*
> kernels.  Which are development kernels and therefore you should not
> expect them to be stable (even though they are, as it happens, pretty
> good).

> >       I'm monitoring linux-kernel list for possible problems and troubles. As I see
> > ordinary configuration (no SCSI, UP, no USB, no devfs) are running fine for
> > many peoples including me.
> Actually, there have been some ext2 problems, but that is beside the
> point.

        yes. some problems. and with ACPI/SMP, and with fb.
        and with reiser + SMP. and with VIA chipsets' I/O bridge again...

        there are always some problems.
        even very stable kernels 2.0.* has problems.

> >       I've upgraded smoothly to 2.4.3pre4 without any problem.
> > > The rule of thumb is, running a development kernel is not for the light of
> > > heart, so the reason that the club of people here on this list say things about
> > > development kernels lies in the reasons above.
> >       FYI - 2.4 is stable branch.
> Yes, but 2.4.*-PRE is NOT.
>
> Before stating facts, it helps to read the mail you are replying to.

        I was wrong mentioning the fact my server running pre kernel ;-)
        but actually I'm speaking about stable announce. (Logic: I have a pre kernel
and I'm waiting for stable one)

> >       On linux-kernel I see Alan Cox's posts about ac series - but I do not see any
> > news from Linus. I suppose he is using some other list to communicate with
> > maintainers.
> Nope.  There have not, as far as I am aware, been any kernel releases
> recently.  The -pre kernels are not, and AFAIK never have been, announce
> anywhere.  If you want to be that close to the bleeding edge, you are
> expected to notice.

        the topic come to its end - linux-kernel-announce suddenly come to life with
announce of 2.4.3. (http://www.iph.to/lka2.4.3.txt)

        this is first post since I've been subscribed (early this year) (subscribed
again, second time - first time I didn't saw any posts too). and l-k-a had
missed at least 2.4.2 release.

        thanks for all. sorry for disturbing you.