Simon,

> Hi, I think redhat has the "switchdesk" utility, you can choose whether
> it is for current session or permanent change.
>
> Give it a whirl.

Thanks. RH8.0 indeed does have a destop switching tool, but it seems
to conflate desktop environments (gnome vs kde) and window managers
(WindowMaker vs. twm). This left me feeling uncomfortable.

Since I'm planning a migration from RedHat to gentoo or debian, I
don't want to become reliant on gui utilities any more than I have
to. If I were to reconfigure the desktop switcher to recognize icewm,
I suspect it would be easier to modify a rc file to call icewm in
the first place.

Haines