> > Hello Haines,AFAIK if you remove your ~/.gnome* dirs. then you
> > will be able to restart a fresh gnome desktop...
>
> I presume that since gnome is set as my desktop manager, these files
> would be regenerated without my having to restart gnome explicitly.

You are right that the ~/.gnome* files are regenerated, but this did
not fix the problem, which evidently lies at a deeper level (even
though not all users are affected). Even after removing the ~/.gnome*
files, when I startx gnome-panel starts to load, but crashes, probably
when it tries to load the window switcher.

The man gnome-panel says:

> The Panel was designed to be highly configurable. You can easily
> customize its behavior and appearance and add or remove objects to
> suite your personal needs and preferences.

But it says nothing more than this. It apparently assumes you will
configure gnome-panel with the mouse rather than edit its files. But
when a problem comes up such as mine, the panel loop means I can't get
a workable desktop, and so I have no mouse to configure panels to
stop (remove from panel) the workplace switcher. Since there's a mouse
option to remove the workplace switcher from the panel, there's got to
be a command to do it, but how is one supposed to find out what it is?

There must be more information on gnome-panel somewhere that goes
beyond simple panel configuration with the mouse. Until I come across
it, I can't find out whether the workplace switcher is a separate
executable, where it is, or if it has a configuration file.

Haine