Jeremy Abbott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This may seem really newbieish, but I have been running Gentoo for
> quite some time now.
>
> Is it possible to forego X altogether, and run things like firefox,
> thunderbird, etc through the framebuffer from a bashprompt, rather
> than starting X and going from there.  The reason I ask, is I hate the
> bloat of Gnome and KDE, and don't have the time to learn to configure

You can start your programs from the console with X and without
KDE/Gnome by typing:
$ xinit /usr/bin/firefox -- :0
or
$ xinit /usr/bin/oowriter -- :1

But I don't know exactly what you have to install (of X I mean). I'd
think if you have fvwm installed to get used to it, there should be
everything you need.

hth

Ulrich