On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Mike wrote:

> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:45:19 -0500
> From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: virtual screen
>
> Hello all, I just made the switch from win95/dos to Red Hat Linux 5.1
> So far so good with just a few questions....
> 1. when I type in startx the screen comes up in an area to big to be
> seen on the monitor, I have to use the mouse and go to the edges to push
> the virtual screen over. Someone told me or I read it somewhere that I
> could use the Control,Alt,+ NumKey to resize but it has no affect on the
> screen :(
> what am I doing wrong???

You have enabled to virtual screen option. In your /etc/XF86Config file,
you might have a few lines like this:

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8  (or lower/higher)
        Modes       "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     [some size]
    EndSubsection

Just take the numbers from the 'Modes' line and put them in the Virtual
line. (make the virtual screen as large as the normal screen.) Or you
could just remove the 'Virtual' line. Do this for every 'Virtual'-line you
find in the configfile. That's it.

   Karel Bemelmans
   Narfum Inc.

  [-- Contact --] -->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  [-- Website --] -->  http://www.narfum.org

   Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash
   simultaneously...