Peter B wrote:

> [...]

No rules of thumb. Some install them to absolute directories, some relative
and some just to current dir. The last two generally will accept any
directory you place them. But what I do generally is this: Open a temp
directory and untar there. The readme file or any other installation doc
generally explains how to install (which dirs to create, which env vars to
set, etc) Then I reinstall to the proper directory, most probably under
/usr/local or /usr/share.

BS