[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> I am setting up my 5th Linux machine.  It seems that I have several
> people in my circle of clients who like the idea of cheap web servers
> that run on very little hardware.  My question is about sendmail.  I
> have heard several negative responses about using sendmail.  Is there
> a problem with leaving sendmail the way that it is with the
> installation of Redhat 5.1 (2.0.34-0.6) or is there some special
> changes that need to be made before this particular machine hits the
> net.

> I have found that my personal Linux machine seems to send and receive
> email perfectly immediately after install without any modifications
> (other than ip_allow change) but I am worried about security.  Any
> sound advice on this.

The sendmail in Red-Hat 5.1 is the version 8.8.7 and the default installation
do not prevent spammers from using your machine as a mail relay. It is
possible to tune the configuration of sendmail 8.8.7 in order to disable
relaying but is is easier to upgrade to sendmail 8.9.1. You can find it as a
RPM file (sendmail-8.9.1-2.i386.rpm) in the manhattan contribution.

Regards,
Jacques Supcik.