On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, INKEY$ wrote:

> > In vim in insert mode, type cntrl-V.  Then the decimal number of the
> > character you want.  Actually this will work for everything from 0-255.
> > For numbers less than 100 type a '0' or '00' first, as needed.   I
> > don't have a vanilla vi to see if this is a vim enhancement.
>
> Well, it sort of works. I type cntrl-v and the decimal value of the
> character I want. Only problem is that the character I want is not
> appearing. I'm using an old qbasic book with an ASCII chart at the back as
> my reference, so does *nix use a different organization of characters? (if
> so, could you point me to a web reference?) BTW, the character I tried to
> put in was the little upper left hand double line box corner (im trying to
> make a nice box to put around the quote of the day
> when i login) and the resulting one is a capital E with (something, cant
> remember) on top of it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated (and dammit, i better not be posting in
> html....)

You are right--I obtain those characters too.  I'm out of my depth--I
don't know if this is a function of the software keyboard choices or the
hardware or what?  Sorry,

Gordon A. Gallup                          Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
University of Nebraska-Lincoln            Lincoln, NE 68588-0111
Voice: (402)472-1230                      FAX: (402)472-2879
http://physics.unl.edu/directory/gallup/gallup.html
http://www.unl.edu/Dissatt/