[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, INKEY$ wrote:
>
> > > In vim in insert mode, type cntrl-V.  Then the decimal number of the
> > > character you want.  Actually this will work for everything from 0-255.
> > > For numbers less than 100 type a '0' or '00' first, as needed.   I
> > > don't have a vanilla vi to see if this is a vim enhancement.
> >
> > Well, it sort of works. I type cntrl-v and the decimal value of the
> > character I want. Only problem is that the character I want is not
> > appearing. I'm using an old qbasic book with an ASCII chart at the back as
> > my reference, so does *nix use a different organization of characters? (if
> > so, could you point me to a web reference?) BTW, the character I tried to
> > put in was the little upper left hand double line box corner (im trying to
> > make a nice box to put around the quote of the day
> > when i login) and the resulting one is a capital E with (something, cant
> > remember) on top of it.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated (and dammit, i better not be posting in
> > html....)
>
> You are right--I obtain those characters too.  I'm out of my depth--I
> don't know if this is a function of the software keyboard choices or the
> hardware or what?  Sorry,
>
> Gordon A. Gallup

Correct me if I am wrong, but I gather you are using a code 201 hoping
to see a 'upper left double-box corner' but getting an accented capitol
E (É). (I don't know if you see the example at the end of the last
sentence). Checking a large number of font styles, I found that this is
the mapping in all but two styles (excluding special symbol fonts). One
of the font styles that mapped to the symbol you are trying to obtain is
MS Line Draw (which makes 'some' sense since you are using a qbasic
reference). Another font giving the desired result is 'Terminal' which I
believe is packaged with Star Office. Sorry I can't be of more help in
how to incorporate one of these fonts into your project. Maybe someone
else on this list can if you ask the right question.

Ralph