Matthew Sachs wrote:

> Edit /etc/lilo.conf.  For every boot option you want to protect, add the
> line "restricted" followed by "password=somepassword" .  If you have
> Windows or something which isn't secure even if you don't give it a
> special boot-time option, leave out the restricted.  So if you have:

I believe Mathew's post is correct in so far as it goes.  But in answer to
Michael's question there is NO WAY to make any computer secure if someone
has access to the machine.  Mathew's directions would prevent someone
from just booting the machine into super user mode IF they only used the
hard drive.  But what's to keep them from inserting a floppy disk with
a bootable kernal and then mounting the hard drive file system?
Or slipping a couple of connectors and installing their own hard
drive and then mounting the old hard drive as a r/w harddisk.

So use Mathew's suggestion but be aware that security starts with
limiting physical access to the machine.

Jonathan