As you don't say which distribution you are trying, I'm going on a few
assumptions.  Most likely what you need to do is use rawrite to put the
image onto the floppy.  I've used Slackware and Debian, and both needed
done in that method.  They both also clearly staed that in a readme on
the CD.  Basically, rawrite bypasses the formatting on the disk.  The
image itself contains all the formatting it needs (IIRC most Linux boot
disks still use a minix-type format).
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"