What kind of disk, and how are you formatting it?  A standard 3-1/2 inch
floppy has 2 sides, each with 80 tracks of 18 512 byte sectors, for a
capacity of 1440 k.  If you are using dos format, don't worry about the
capacity of the dos fs.  You're not going to use it.  Do use badblocks
on linux or scandisk on dos too make sure you have a disk with no bad
blocks.  The easy way to make a bootdisk has _no_ tolerance for bad
blocks.  Just copy the boot image to the raw device with, say
cp <image> /dev/fd0
if you have a linux system.  If you're stuck with dos or windows for
now, there will be a dos utility, rawrite.exe, included in the distro,
in install or dosutils or so.  You didn't tell us _which_ Cheap Bytes
distro, so I can't be more specific.  They make faithful copies of
anything they can download for free and burn CD's of them, and I don't
see how they can make any money at it, but I guess they do. :-).  I have
their linux six-pack, and I'll buy another when I reckon this one is
hopelessly obsolete.

Cheap Bytes distros include a file, README.1ST, which you should have
read, and probably didn't.  It tells you, among other things, where the
boot image files are in the distro.

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.