Summarizing: Following DOS/WIN-FDISK rules: ONE CAN HAVE 1 MAIN PARTITION.
 That means everything else (WIN/Linux mix) HAS TO GO IN AN EXTENDED PARTITION.
 It is the PARTITION-TABLE of this EXTENDED partition that gets wiped out.
 (wiping out nearly all harddisk because the extended-partition-table holds
  information for all logical drives, that is all drives minus the main
  partition).

Linux fdisk allows 4 main partitions. My next setup will have 3 main partitions
 + 1 Extended partition.
The main partition for DOS/WIN will be towards the end of the disk as much as
 possible.

With today's big harddisks and the FAT16 limit of 2GB one ends up with more
 partitions. I used FAT16 (and not FAT32) to avoid incompatibility.
----------------

At 11:30 PM 9/13/99 +1200, Dagan Sgiath wrote:
><======= On 13 Sep 99, at 10:51, SuM w1ttY f00l wrote: =======>
>
>> >I have trouble with WIN98(95) co-existing with Linux (RH 5.0).
>>
>> >Yesterday DEFRAG of D: wiped out enough of my Linux to require
>> > a re-install.
>>
>> >How can I improve following setup to stop WIN98 from clobbering
>> > my Linux?
>
> It sounds like you installed Linux into a DOS partition or something. If
>this is
>the case, then Win9x/NT will of course take the filespace back to a proper
>FAT/FAT32 partition, and any linux files will get messed up.
>
> If you have Linux installed in a proper Linux Native partition, Windows
>shouldn't see the files, so it shouldn't change them.

Linux was properly installed. WIN98 does not see the Linux partitions.
 Yet during operation (an application of) WIN98 is AFFECTING Linux. The damage
 I experience could be as little as affecting/changing the partition-table of
 the EXTENDED partition.
I was trying to find out if others have this problem. If not, maybe there is a
 problem in my hardware, or in my harddisk-setup.

>> I've never been brave enough to experiment with dual booting systems for
just
>> this sort of reason.  Instead I have Windows and Linux on separate drives
>> each in a removable tray.
There are no removable drives in the stores here.
 Separate drives is a practical possibility.

My first step will be to put DOS more toowards the end of the drive. Myabe
 Linux-fdisk allows MAIN MAIN EXTENDED MAIN whereby DOS goes to the last MAIN.

Should that not be possible, or fail, I will use my other harddisk for DOS.

Thanks for trying to help.

Herman Aa.
>From a mountaintop on Cebu island, Philippines.
List: Direct copies (extra copy) welcome.